Takumi Minamino / signs for Liverpool. Transfer 1st January

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We have James as our RW. If we gonna buy another player for that position he should be Sancho/Havertz style potential and quality. We don’t need more quantity regardless of price.
It's back to Pereira and Mata on the wings if one of our front 3 is injured. For 7.25m it really couldn't have hurt, we lack options that can really change games too from the bench.

Lemansky

It's back to Pereira and Mata on the wings if one of our front 3 is injured. For 7.25m it really couldn't have hurt, we lack options that can really change games too from the bench.
I am saying that our next RW/AM signing should be an undisputed quality player. We have Mata, Andreas, Lingard etc who all is average.

Lemansky

Shrewd signing, reminds me of the days we would sign Evra and Vidic in January. Liverpool are now at that stage.
They are perfectly set up to do these type of signings as their first eleven is superb already, especially on top. It makes far more sense signing shrewd like this, then buying players for big money expecting to play most games and in the process potentially hurting overall squad harmony. Salah, Mane and Firmino would not like being heavily rotated.

KennyBurner

Jadon Sancho is our RW target. And now everyone are moaning about Liverpools great business over a guy very few of you knew who the hell was 3 daysa go?

I'll take Jadon for £100m easy for the next 7-10 years.
Why not get both? 7 million is very cheap for quality backup. It’s actually insane if they acquire this guy for anything less than 30 million judging by what I’ve seen.

OrganisedChaos

Supports
Liverpool
Cost less than what we got for Kevin Stewart, Ryan Kent, Solanke, Ibe and Danny Ward.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
He impressed against us, so looking forward to see more of him.
Liverpool fans on Red Cafe really give Liverpool fans a bad name. Although this is nothing on the ones who hang out in match threads here when their own team is actually played, a really odd bunch :D
Off topic, but this is such a stupid and lazy comment. An odd bunch? Why would you include all of us in here because of a few posters who made comments you didn't like?

Lynty

Although it would have been nice, it's not our priority

I'll put money on Haaland coming here though

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He impressed against us, so looking forward to see more of him.

Off topic, but this is such a stupid and lazy comment. An odd bunch? Why would you include all of us in here because of a few posters who made comments you didn't like?
Not comments I don't like, I couldn't care less what they say. It just amuses/amazes me that Liverpool fans would hang out on a Man Utd forum when their team - Liverpool are playing football games. I mean it;s just really strange, the forum of a team who they are supposed to hate. I'm guessing these fans are not actualy from Liverpool, or they'd have much stronger hate for Man Utd, and would not be on their forum. I can't even imagine going near a Schalke forum at any time.

Sorry I mentioned it, but I'm sure you can see why that is really odd, but whatever rocks your (or their) boat. I like and respect Liverpool a lot as a club, especially with Kloppo being there, and they have a lot of great fans with much in common with Dortmund. But their fans on here just don't do it for me for various reasons. Sorry if that upsets you (I am sure it doesn't!).

But yeah, offtopic so I better leave it be .

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Not comments I don't like, I couldn't care less what they say. It just amuses/amazes me that Liverpool fans would hang out on a Man Utd forum when their team - Liverpool are playing football games. I mean it;s just really strange, the forum of a team who they are supposed to hate. I'm guessing these fans are not actualy from Liverpool, or they'd have much stronger hate for Man Utd, and would not be on their forum. I can't even imagine going near a Schalke forum at any time.

Sorry I mentioned it, but I'm sure you can see why that is really odd, but whatever rocks your (or their) boat. I like and respect Liverpool a lot as a club, especially with Kloppo being there, and they have a lot of great fans with much in common with Dortmund. But their fans on here just don't do it for me for various reasons. Sorry if that upsets you (I am sure it doesn't!).

But yeah, offtopic so I better leave it be .
Man United are our rivals and I respect them as such, but I don't hate them. No Man United fan has ever done me any harm, so why am I supposed to hate them? I am here for the same reasons as everybody else. To discuss football on the best forum there is around :)

marktan

At £7m there's basically no downside. Surprised that the buyout clause is so low for a CL team, and more so that Salzburg aren't asking for more.

I've only seen CL highlight vids of him but he has scored/assisted a couple and looked good.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a good pickup for the price but he's not anything special. Hwang who is younger, is the better player IMO.

Gopher Brown

We are always playing catch up to liverpool. Championships, recruitment, everything. Sick and tired of it.
This is a bit of an overreaction to not signing a player you only found out existed yesterday.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
He's a good pickup for the price but he's not anything special. Hwang who is younger, is the better player IMO.
Not according to your man who said he has followed Hwang for most of his career...

I've been following Hwang for most of his career and would be extremely cautious about bringing him over to a club like at Utd. He has decent qualities but the last 3 months is the first time hes ever played this well.

He can be extremely frustrating and inconsistent with his finishing and touch. Just a season ago he only managed 2 goals and 2 assists in Bundesliga 2 for perspective. He definitely looks like he may have turned a corner but this is all in the Austrian league and a couple of CL matches. When he plays for Korea he doesn't have the hold up play to play as a striker and on the wing isn't the best with his decision making. He's still one of our best players of course but hes never proven hes anything close to Utd standard before this season imo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not according to your man who said he has followed Hwang for most of his career...
I don't know who the chap is but he's entitled to his opinion.

But from what I've seen of Hwang mostly in the UCL he's a better player than the chap you have signed and I said that before you signed him too.
For the price paid he's a good pickup but he isn't anything special and will be 25 in January. There's dime a dozen players at midtable clubs in Europe on a similar level.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dont see what the big fuss is. He's going to be a squad player for them and just replace Shaqiri on the bench. Not saying he's bad or anything, but here or there he'd only have been a squad player.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Jesus Christ

Jurgen Klopp was killing himself laughing as #LFC senior players lined up to urge him to sign #Minamino on Wednesday...little knowing deal was already done in principle after SIX years of planning. Read the story behind an incredible £7.25m transfer coup

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-story-behind-liverpools-six-21083355
That is INCREDIBLE. I bet no one else thought of scouting youngsters and then tracking the promising ones. It's like we are living in the future.

Suedesi

Jadon Sancho is our RW target. And now everyone are moaning about Liverpools great business over a guy very few of you knew who the hell was 3 daysa go?

I'll take Jadon for £100m easy for the next 7-10 years.
If you can get Sancho....

MrVolley

Looks like Liverpool are about to get their man after seeing off the midtable competition.
"their man"?

We want him! So Liverpool is getting our man:(

How could we not know that he had a 7m release clause? :mad: If we did and he's choosing Liverpool over us, then what hope do we have with the likes of Sancho.

In Rainbows

Pretty bummed he's going to Liverpool. I watched him as a teenager as I followed his Japanese club. Hey, I won't complain if we're able to snatch Sancho.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
"their man"?

We want him! So Liverpool is getting our man:(

How could we not know that he had a 7m release clause? :mad: If we did and he's choosing Liverpool over us, then what hope do we have with the likes of Sancho.
I'm pretty sure we knew. Maybe we have other targets in mind and don't want sign the chap just for the sake of it.

Suedesi

Jesus Christ

Jurgen Klopp was killing himself laughing as #LFC senior players lined up to urge him to sign #Minamino on Wednesday...little knowing deal was already done in principle after SIX years of planning. Read the story behind an incredible £7.25m transfer coup

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-story-behind-liverpools-six-21083355
Manchester United, AC Milan and Bundesliga leaders Borussia Monchengladbach were all tracking and regularly watching the Japan forward, but were unaware of the clause setting such a low price.
This is complete horseshit to be fair

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That profile is a gold mine for japanese markets. At that price it's a fecking steal. If he can be a useful squad player he'd already paid his own transfer fee.

Dont underestimate having 1 asians in your team. Them east asians are very passionate about one of their own

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

coldbeatle89

Supports
Liverpool
I think the thing to remember is this- sure, he's not going to be breaking into the starting 11. He might barely break into the rotation- however, there's a few things going for him and for Liverpool:

1. He's the first ever Asian (Israelis not included) to play for Liverpool on the first team. They've been trying to break into the Asian market for awhile, and they have the Nike deal starting next year with that express purpose listed. This will not hurt them in any respect. Merchandise sales may honestly pay this transfer fee back by itself (I say that facetiously obviously, but the point is there).

2. Even if he's a flop- Liverpool has a recent track record of being able to sell players for waaaaay more than they seemingly would be worth. Observe:
Danny Ings- couldn't really break into the first team, Origi made his position redundant, sold to Southampton for 20 million pounds.
Dominic Solanke- bought for 4 million pounds, couldn't break into the first team for regular game-time, sold to Bournemouth for 19 million pounds.
Danny Ward- never played in the first team, sold for 12.5 million pounds.
Phillipe Coutinho- absolute nonce, sold for 142 million pounds (seriously, what is he worth now? Not 142 million by any stretch. He wasn't worth that then either.0) Liverpool have been incredible since he left.

Michael Edwards does great business. Whether it's buying a player or selling one, he always seems to get the best value for money.

If Minamino flops, he'll probably sell him for around 20 million pounds or something, based on the recent track record. My guess, though, is that he fits in really well. As mentioned earlier in the thread- Liverpool's players absolutely loved the guy and thought he was the best player on the pitch for Salzberg both games. He'll fit in well in the dressing room, and should start getting regular gametime and rotation after a month or two- he seems like he'll get up to speed in Klopp's system quickly.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
This smells like when Benayoun tore Liverpool a new one and they promptly signed him. He was not a world beater but he was an integral part of that squad that reached UCL final and 2nd place finish EPL. Now Liverpool is in the position to make player like him a rotation player. Van Dijk too was signed in similar fashion, the way he blunted that SAS combo. The difference was that VVD was obviously going to be first team player anywhere he went.

Let's see how Minamino goes but looking at how Robertson and Fabinho been, Klopp most probably will integrate him slowly. The league will see him at the closing stage of this season or beginning of next. They do have some apparent outgoing player like Lallana, Milner?, Shaqiri?

At £7.25m, it's looking like an excellent business for them. I'm sure United could do with this signing. Mata has regressed and Martial fitness is not encuraging. Minamino is already a mature player, I have more confidence in him to provide more immediate impact vs Greenwood (I know you guys rate him highly)

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
This is complete horseshit to be fair
What part of it is horseshit? That the other clubs didn't know about the release clause?

It does look a little strange to me that we signed him at that price apparantly without any competition. And I haven't seen any of the clubs mentioned denying it so far, so it might as well be true. He is very specific about it.

From the article:

Crucially, Edwards has built up a relationship with Freund at Salzburg, and also with the wider Red Bull organisation, after delicate and again amicable negotiations with Leipzig over the sale of Naby Keita.

That allowed his team to discover a priceless piece of information that rivals for his signature didn’t have - the fact that Minamino had a release clause inserted when the Austrians took up an option last February to extend his contract to 2021.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What part of it is horseshit? That the other clubs didn't know about the release clause?

It does look a little strange to me that we signed him at that price apparantly without any competition. And I haven't seen any of the clubs mentioned denying it so far, so it might as well be true. He is very specific about it.

From the article:
Edwards building up a relationship with Freund isn't the only way to know of such a clause. The players reps will also have obviously known about the clause when discussing a transfer with French and German clubs who also tried to sign him.

Suedesi

From the article:
It’s horseshit that other clubs such as Moenchengladbach were unaware of the release clause. Marco Rose was the manager of Salzburg last year and the notion that he’d be unaware of such a release clause for one of the players he managed is horseshit.