Talented players with terrible work ethic

Darkhorsez

Adriano, during his short peak, was the freakiest striker football has ever seen. That left leg was a weapon of mass destruction, his whole body was. Talk about gifted.

Thanks for posting the video. That was pure filth! Forgot how good he was.

Njord

Anyway, do you truly believe that natural talent is just height and muscles? That there aren't genetic cognitive differences between humans? I find it vary hard to believe the validity of that notion.
I can see that I exaggerated in my first post here, as I don't think that every human in the world could reach Messi's or Ronaldinho's level if they just practiced enough. What I was contesting was the idea that players that have great technique, but lack other aspects of their game, are simply "gifted", and that they have squandered away this "gift" because they didn't become top class players.

It is possible to work on different things in football, and if player A spent an extra hour after training doing running exercises his entire life, and player B spent the hour working with the ball, it doesn't mean that B is more lazy than A because he runs 10 km a game, while A runs 13 km.

I also think that a lot of players could have reached a higher level if they worked more on the technical aspect of their game, and that they kind of get a free pass by people saying that they simply reached their limited technical level that they were born with.

Classical Mechanic

It is possible to work on different things in football, and if player A spent an extra hour after training doing running exercises his entire life, and player B spent the hour working with the ball, it doesn't mean that B is more lazy than A because he runs 10 km a game, while A runs 13 km.
Any professional midfielder can run 13km a game, its a question of will in that case.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Theo Jansen could have been a great player if he went to the gym instead of the pub and would've stopped smoking at half time.

Obvious one is Rafael van der Vaart who's love for pretty girls and patatje oorlog held him back from true greatness.

Also wasnt Berbatov kind of lethargic?

BlackShark_80

-Riquelme
-Adriano
-Recoba
-Laudrup
-Ronaldinho
-Balotelli
-Cassano
-Pato
-Le Tissier
-Arshavin
-Quaresma

Castia

Robinho?

He was a massive talent and went for a big fee to City....seemed to just give up shortly after.

Zlatattack

The difference between the greats, such as Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Pele and good players like Neymar, Coutinho, Firmino and Willian are smaller than between those guys and Lallana, Barkley, Wilshere etc. I can't think of a single english world class player ever, who was that type of player. Unless you think it's something genetical that seperates the english from the spanish, brazilian or argentinians, then it means there's a cultural difference, a difference in the football education in the different countries. Because of this I believe it is unfair to label players that have worked their entire lives to be good technically as "lazy" (because they lack other skills), or to say that they are just naturally "gifted".
I can think of plenty of English players that were up there with the very best.

Of the ones i've watched;

Scholes
Beckham
Ashley Cole
Shearer

They're not on the level of Pele, Maradonna, CR7 and Messi, ie players who could claim to be GOAT - but the band of extremely good players world class players below that level, could easily feature these 4 guys. I don't think there is anyone who can do everything on a football pitch, and you could argue about exact ranking of players (should Roberto Baggio be ahead of Del Piero etc), but generally in terms of being at that same level - these guys are there.

Fenomeno9

Robinho?

He was a massive talent and went for a big fee to City....seemed to just give up shortly after.
He didn’t lack work ethic just didn’t live up to the hype. After City, he played for AC Milan for a while and didn’t do to badly there. Robinho wasn’t lazy on the pitch or showed up overweight.

El-Manos

What players had the potential to become fantastic players if they just had the right amount of proper work ethic?

From the top of my head:

Ravel Morrison
Anderson
Cassano
Powell
Ben Arfa
Taarabt
Quaresma

I think it's still too early to add Shaw to that list, but it doesn't bode well for him.
Wouldn’t classify him as very talented in all honesty.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Adriano, during his short peak, was the freakiest striker football has ever seen. That left leg was a weapon of mass destruction, his whole body was. Talk about gifted.

Great vid. I'm looking for the one where he 360s the a defender and slots in the corner from a tight angle but can't find it, or I misremembered it.

Last edited:

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
So Matt Le Tissier, just go and watch a compilation of his best goals. Absolutely fecking ridiculous how talented he was.
Agree mate he was but he was also very lazy, never tracked back and helped out the rest of his team hence why he had so little England call ups

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Stephen Ireland. Had all the talent in the world as a kid, but with minimum effort. It all came natural and easy to him upto a point - but then when he needed to get the head down and bring it to the next level after his young player of the year nomination - he slowly drifted away to mid-table level.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Unknown to most of non-portuguese people: Dani was considered the most talented player in the world of his generation. Rui Costa was his reserve at U21 and bellow national teams. But all he cared was party hard like there was no tommorrow.

Sérgio Conceição: hard to put him here, since he had a very sucessful career overall. He was not a lazy player, but rather a hard-working goalscoring winger (he started his career as fullback and only became a winger in Italy). But his belic personality made him an easy target for clubs to dismiss him after a couple of seasons :D

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Bestie could play with a hangover and still run the shit out of anyone else.
Not disputing that fact, but he could have been better had it not been for him valuing the lifestyle he had more than working hard and training at 100% (if he actually turned up).

@InLevyITrust his alcoholism is well known, but doesn't mean he couldn't have been even better.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not disputing that fact, but he could have been better had it not been for him valuing the lifestyle he had more than working hard and training at 100% (if he actually turned up).

@InLevyITrust his alcoholism is well known, but doesn't mean he couldn't have been even better.
Thats my point, I'm Northern Irish, I dont think its fair to say he had a lack of work ethic the man was ill.

Il say David Ginola, hell of a player, but lazy.

tomaldinho1

He is the greatest of all time.. What a player..
It's tough to argue for him above Messi/Ronaldo because of their longevity/stats but he's my favorite attacking player. If he had CR's monk-like dedication to fitness he'd have been the GOAT IMO - at his prime he was like a mix of the two, so strong and powerful but with all the tricks, flicks and a thunderbolt shot

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff

Wow what a shot he had on him :eek:

Interestingly the thumbnail on that video is him playing against us at Old Trafford. I don't recall him scoring against us though?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Wow what a shot he had on him :eek:

Interestingly the thumbnail on that video is him playing against us at Old Trafford. I don't recall him scoring against us though?
He hit the post with that shot I recall but with a brilliant effort.

Siorac

Robert Prosinecki. x1000

Travesty that he’s not mentioned much.
The amount of smoke he subjected his lungs to, it's a miracle he could even get out on to the pitch in the latter part of his career.

Could do just about everything apart from running though.

Devillish

Tomas Brolin. Had the world at his feet at one stage but ate his way out of football. Voted their worst ever player by Leeds fans.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Thats my point, I'm Northern Irish, I dont think its fair to say he had a lack of work ethic the man was ill.

Il say David Ginola, hell of a player, but lazy.
No doubt he had his illness, but he still preferred the celebrity lifestyle more than his footballing one, he could have been better is all I'm saying.

lammybam

Platini. Great player but looked like he was out for a wander on the pitch. Always half expected him to spark up and ciggie and sit down for a bit. Post playing he obviously didn't fancy working hard either....."you'll give me how much for doing what?" c'est magnifique

RooneyLegend

His skill on the ball outweighed his physical attributes way, way more. He didn't need to focus on running around and tracking back. For a player like him trying on tricks and just attacking is the best use of him
Dinho was a fantastic athlete, he had great strength. balance and was very quick, both off the mark and even had great outright pace. His workrate defensively doesn't take away from the fact that he himself physically was rather imposing. The tricks were amazing but he was much more than that. Compare him physically to Robinho for example and its polar opposites.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Cassano for sure, always happy not to be a drug-dealer in Bari thanks to football but mad and lazy, he was 95kg at Real, eating cakes and banging girls day in day out ffs :houllier:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Read it a few years ago, good recommendation.

I don't know why there are still some people on the internet claiming otherwise when both science and common sense say it obviously does.
Because they think it supports muh racism and muh sexism amongst other things.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the story about Pato, wasn't his problem that he was injury prone?

Charles Miller

What is the story about Pato, wasn't his problem that he was injury prone?
Yes, he is not a case of weak work ethic. He had dozens of muscular injuries in a short period of time. Apparently his muscles tend to react like when you step on a nail.

Alexandre Pato is a sad history tbh. He could be one of the players to watch in the last 10 years. He just had bad luck.

Heath.1967

Being lazy is not the main blame (injuries) but R9 without injuries and lack of motivation, would 1000% be the GOAT of football, far more physically and technically talented than Ronaldinho, and more physically talented than Messi.

Last edited by a moderator:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
i don't like the thread title. The fact that we, the supporters, ever heard a specific players name makes it highly unlikely that this fella has "terrible" work ethic, because if that was really the case, he would never have made it to becoming pro at all. It is safe to assume that for every player who makes it even to second league, let alone international fame, there were a few dozens just as talented but not being as determined or hard-working as him.