Tammy Abraham - Roma Striker

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And this type of top line thinking is exactly what led to things like said extraordinary expensive donkey being seen as a world class striker in the first place and Eden Hazard being viewed as overrated.

Funnily enough despite our lack of out and out scorer we've actually outscored three of our title winning teams.
Outscoring Jose Mourinho teams is nothing to write home about. You scored about 20 goals fewer than both the top two teams in a season where Chelsea hoped to run them close. Goalscoring has obviously been an issue for you this season.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Come on now. Chelsea’s biggest problem this season has been a lack of goal threat up front. They let a prolific homegrown number 9 leave and replaced him with an extraordinarily expensive donkey. How on earth has that worked out well for you?
He's never been prolific :lol:
Last season under Lampard he missed a lot of chances some of them being stonewall sitters. His stats for Roma are also kind of deceiving - in the first half of the season he managed to only score 6 times in 18 appearances - playing the full 90 in almost all of them.

MadMike

He's never been prolific :lol:
Last season under Lampard he missed a lot of chances some of them being stonewall sitters. His stats for Roma are also kind of deceiving - in the first half of the season he managed to only score 6 times in 18 appearances - playing the full 90 in almost all of them.

Prolific might be an exaggeration but his stats in 3 out of the last 4 seasons are very... very good. Better than 1 in 2. Admittedly his worst season was in the EPL, but he was a young striker who has showed a lot of potential. Selling him was imo a big mistake for Chelsea, because they needed a striker and they didn't really need the money. Punting 100m on Lukaku has proved disastrous by comparison.

When Charlton (my local team) were in the Championship, I got to watch him couple of times in the flesh and he seemed a very accomplished player. I also used to see Conor Gallagher week in-week out (then at Charlton, now player of the season a Palace) and we were all saying how he would make it big in the EPL. Same for Abraham. If a top half team picks him he will do very well for them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Outscoring Jose Mourinho teams is nothing to shout home about. You scored about 20 goals fewer than both the top two teams in a season where Chelsea hoped to run them close. Goalscoring has obviously been an issue for you this season.
Mourinho or not those teams still had guaranteed 20 goals by either Lampard or Costa, a further 10-15 by either Drogba or Hazard and the elite service of either Robben or Fabregas. This team have nothing on that level attacking wise.

The idea Tammy would have bridged that gap is wishful thinking at best. Firstly the reason we create as much as we do is because of the fluid interplay with Kai up top and i said had we kept him instead the narrative would be how we fecked up not getting "proven PL scorer" Lukaku when he was available. Two wrongs don't make a right.

MadMike

Or the Italian league is a poor standard???? Note Lukaku
It's a slightly lower standard at the moment, but poor it isn't. Lukaku isn't proof. I can counter by saying Salah came here and ripped up the league. Ronaldo came from Italy at 37 and, despite the doubts, he's still doing it. It's down to the player.

Abraham is a good player. You put him in a decent club in the EPL and he will do pretty well I believe.

MadMike

Mourinho or not those teams still had guaranteed 20 goals by either Lampard or Costa, a further 10-15 by either Drogba or Hazard and the elite service of either Robben or Fabregas. This team have nothing on that level attacking wise.

The idea Tammy would have bridged that gap is wishful thinking at best. Firstly the reason we create as much as we do is because of the fluid interplay with Kai up top and i said had we kept him instead the narrative would be how we fecked up not getting "proven PL scorer" Lukaku when he was available. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Most certainly but that's because of people's obsession with big transfers and always looking for the next thing. I feel that Tammy would have done better than Lukaku although that's merely my feeling, there's no way to prove that. But even if he hadn't though, you'd at least have saved spunking £100m on a 30yo that can't perform in this league. You would have saved yourselves a headache and could have strengthened elsewhere instead.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It's a slightly lower standard at the moment, but poor it isn't. Lukaku isn't proof. I can counter by saying Salah came here and ripped up the league. Ronaldo came from Italy at 37 and, despite the doubts, he's still doing it. It's down to the player.

Abraham is a good player. You put him in a decent club in the EPL and he will do pretty well I believe.
Immobile's been scoring for fun there but on the european and world stage he looks painfully average.
The league's declined massively since the 90s and 00s.

MadMike

The same people screaming over his stats wouldn't want immobile who has scored more.
It's different though. There's a strong feeling among some that Immobile isn't a player who would do well outside of Italy. He tried to and failed.

He had a good breakthrough season at Torino back in 2013/14 as a 23yo and Dortmund snapped him up. He failed to make it there and lasted only one season before being sent to Sevilla, where he also failed and returned to Italy. It's worth noting both these clubs play good football that favours the strikers and don't really have huge pressures. They are ideal moves for making it abroad, but he didn't.

Lazio snapped him up at 26 years old for only 700k. He did exceptionally well for them and therein lied the problem. Lazio would want big money to let him go, because he was important to them. But he was a player who had failed at age 25 to make the jump to different leagues. So nobody would pay big money to pull Immobile out of Italy at 30yo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The same people screaming over his stats wouldn't want immobile who has scored more.
If he was Croatian or Spanish then his stats would be flapped over.

Like that tall lanky striker in Germany.

TheReligion

Abusive
You're right we should have made a bigger effort to keep Livramento given James' injury issues and need to play RCB at times. Tomori/Guehi is luckily mitigated by the fact we have Colwill (higher ceiling than both) coming through.

Tammy was a fish out of water in TTs system, just because we've somehow managed to replace him with someone with the exact same issues shouldn't distract from that. Had we kept Tammy when we could have signed of Lukaku he would have struggled and the narrative would be how stupid we were gambling on him when we could have signed a proven scorer.

My preference was and still is to go in on Kai as false 9 and have a Broja (or failing that have kept Giroud) as an option to mix things up when needed and source a wide forward. I don't know if we'd have been able to get either but Luis Diaz or Adeyemi would have been perfect for said role.
I think that’s fair Dan however from an outside perspective it doesn’t feel that it’s ‘worked out well’ with regards to how you’ve managed your youth players.

I guess that’s the bit I disagree with. I’ll be interested to see what happens with Gallagher and Gilmour as both could be trying to force a way to the World Cup. Not sure either will accept being bit part at Chelsea and I’m not one hundred percent that you’ll go with them next season.

Abraxas

Bit of a balls up by Chelsea, it's hard to spin it otherwise. All this stuff about not suiting Chelsea, however..what would suit Chelsea is putting the ball in the net often and he's capable of that. They've got loads in the buildup, how many cooks does one team need. They didn't buy Lukaku to be one of those either.

He's a top young striker. They've let him go, while buying a player for big money that hasn't worked. So they've lost out on both ends. He might have come good at Chelsea with a bit more time. He also might not, but looking at it right now it wasn't great business.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Bit of a balls up by Chelsea, it's hard to spin it otherwise. All this stuff about not suiting Chelsea, however..what would suit Chelsea is putting the ball in the net often and he's capable of that.
Yep, he done it 15 times before lockdown in his first season yet Lampard still turned to Giroud when it came to the business end.

Classical Mechanic

Personally I'm still not convinced that Abraham is good enough to start every week at a top club. He's at the level just below that which is still very good. Chelsea's mistake was signing Lukaku, not selling Abraham. Chelsea could've kept Abraham as a rotation option but that's not what the player wanted. His move to Roma means that he's now become Kane's understudy for England. Before he was one of a number of players that could've been called up for that role. If England went into a tournament without Kane and with Tammy as the main striker I think most people would downgrade England's expectations.

Abraxas

Personally I'm still not convinced that Abraham is good enough to start every week at a top club. He's at the level just below that which is still very good. Chelsea's mistake was signing Lukaku, not selling Abraham. Chelsea could've kept Abraham as a rotation option but that's not what the player wanted. His move to Roma means that he's now become Kane's understudy for England. Before he was one of a number of players that could've been called up for that role. If England went into a tournament without Kane and with Tammy as the main striker I think most people would downgrade England's expectations.
How many Kane level strikers are there? I think there's a dearth of top class number 9s a top club can sign on the market. One is going to City.

Many doing the rounds are speculative names yet to have a proper breakout like Nunez, or people like Abraham we would identify or believe are a class below. So in my opinion no reason to get rid of Abraham unless there is clearly better available.

For instance I think we would clearly be better with Abraham at United. Certainly better primed for post Ronaldo. Would I buy him now? Possibly not for what it would require but Chelsea let the bloke go so that's a different situation and that's why I think it's fair to point the finger. It's not clear in hindsight that it was a good plan since Chelsea's striker situation is no better than ours and I don't see what the clear path to better is.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yep.

I love Tammy and it's great to see him doing well but you are spot on.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bit of a balls up by Chelsea, it's hard to spin it otherwise. All this stuff about not suiting Chelsea, however..what would suit Chelsea is putting the ball in the net often and he's capable of that. They've got loads in the buildup, how many cooks does one team need. They didn't buy Lukaku to be one of those either.

He's a top young striker. They've let him go, while buying a player for big money that hasn't worked. So they've lost out on both ends. He might have come good at Chelsea with a bit more time. He also might not, but looking at it right now it wasn't great business.
Watch Chelsea with and without Lukaku and then tell me the #9 isn't a vital part of the chance creating process. If we were going to sign Lukaku, then yeah we should have just kept Tammy because he was scoring at a decent rate whilst having a negative overall impact on how the team played, which is more than Lukaku is doing. My position has always been that selling Tammy was the right decision, unless he was happy to be a rotational option, and signing Lukaku was a terrible decision. Selling Tammy is only the wrong move when it's put side by side with the decision to sign Lukaku, but on its own it was the right thing for him and the club.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Watch Chelsea with and without Lukaku and then tell me the #9 isn't a vital part of the chance creating process. If we were going to sign Lukaku, then yeah we should have just kept Tammy because he was scoring at a decent rate whilst having a negative overall impact on how the team played, which is more than Lukaku is doing. My position has always been that selling Tammy was the right decision, unless he was happy to be a rotational option, and signing Lukaku was a terrible decision. Selling Tammy is only the wrong move when it's put side by side with the decision to sign Lukaku, but on its own it was the right thing for him and the club.
Ironically this all reminds me of when we let Lukaku go in the first place. Eto'o while past his best was a much better fit for what Mourinho wanted but people just looked at the top line and banged on about what a "mistake" we made.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
When we won cl last season with our highest goalscorer in league was jorginho with 7 and Werner missing some dozens of chances our board just came up with this idea that let leave Tammy Abraham and bring in even less mobile striker in Lukaku.

Tuchel didn't fancy Tammy that's clearly visible by using him very sparingly even though he was scored double digit previous season.

We could have signed some other player for less money instead of lukaku. That mistake done by our board. But let Tammy go was not the one. Clearly our manager not fancied him and many suggested to keep unhappy player and let 40 mn offer to go. That would be stupid.

It's ok if Tammy improved further and want to come back we will have buy back clause for 60 mn. So no problem.

MUW4Eva

He has done really, well at Roma, fair play to him, Southgate should really be thinking of a World Cup place for him if he carries on this form at the start of next season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He has done really, well at Roma, fair play to him, Southgate should really be thinking of a World Cup place for him if he carries on this form at the start of next season.
He's next in line after Kane at the moment. No other striker is even close to Abraham's form this season. He has to keep it up next season to cement his place as Kane's first choice backup at the WC.

MUW4Eva

He's next in line after Kane at the moment. No other striker is even close to Abraham's form this season. He has to keep it up next season to cement his place as Kane's first choice backup at the WC.
Yeah, I just hope that it isn't a case of "out of sight, out of mind", just because he is playing in Italy.....

troylocker

Serie A goals?
Buy one get one free.
I see what you mean:

Tammy for Chelsea in the PL: 21 goals (0 pens) and 6 assist in 3308 minutes:
0,57 non penalty goal/90
0,73 npG+A/90

Tammy for Chelsea in all comps: 30 goals (0 pens) and 12 assists in 4567 minutes:
0,59 npG/90
0,83 npG+A/90

Tammy for Roma in Serie A: 17 goals (3 pens) and 4 assist in 3097 minutes:
0,41 non penalty goal/90
0,49 npG+A/90

Tammy for Roma in all comps: 27 goals (3 pens and 9 goals in Conference league) and 5 assists in 4168 minutes:
0,52 npG/90
0,63 npG+A/90

Maybe do your homework first?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I just hope that it isn't a case of "out of sight, out of mind", just because he is playing in Italy.....
It's what's been happening to Tomori the last couple of international breaks, so I wouldn't put it past Southgate. I doubt it though. He's already a part of the squad.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
  1. Abraham
  2. Toney
  3. Calvert Lewin
Is that the order past Kane? Unsure about Vardy or Greenwood anymore

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Certainly his spot on the plane to loose
The only realistic threats I could see (outside of injury) are
Calvert Lewin (moves in the summer? and) smashes in a ton of goals at the start of the season (seems unlikely)
Greenwood is totally exonerated over the summer, ETH plys him as a striker and he scores a ton of goals (seems very unlikely)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Certainly his spot on the plane to loose
The only realistic threats I could see (outside of injury) are
Calvert Lewin (moves in the summer? and) smashes in a ton of goals at the start of the season (seems unlikely)
Greenwood is totally exonerated over the summer, ETH plys him as a striker and he scores a ton of goals (seems very unlikely)
Yeah. At the start of the season, Ings, potentially DCL and even Watkins were the contenders alongside Tammy. It looks it isn't even a contest anymore, but yeah Tammy would need to stay injury free and keep this form going into next season, but if even if his form isn't great, the others would still need to hit the ground running to steal his place. None of which I can see happening. He's as good as on the plane, barring an injury.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yeah. At the start of the season, Ings, potentially DCL and even Watkins were the contenders alongside Tammy. It looks it isn't even a contest anymore, but yeah Tammy would need to stay injury free and keep this form going into next season, but if even if his form isn't great, the others would still need to hit the ground running to steal his place. None of which I can see happening. He's as good as on the plane, barring an injury.
possibly Nketiah... again seems a very long shot
scored 5 in the last 7 PL games of the season (none for the rest of the season) and probably Arsenal are going to buy another striker anyway
but if abrahams form collapses, arsenal dont sign a striker and Nketiah keeps up his form and is in double figures by the time the squads announced he might have a chance (but thats a lot of ifs so probably not... he had a great record with the U21's though with 16 in 17)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
scored 5 in the last 7 PL games of the season (none for the rest of the season) and probably Arsenal are going to buy another striker anyway
but if abrahams form collapses, arsenal dont sign a striker and Nketiah keeps up his form and is in double figures by the time the squads announced he might have a chance (but thats a lot of ifs so probably not... he had a great record with the U21's though with 16 in 17)
No disrespect to Nketiah, but he won't be anywhere near the England squad. Arsenal will most likely upgrade on him this summer.

MUW4Eva

No disrespect to Nketiah, but he won't be anywhere near the England squad. Arsenal will most likely upgrade on him this summer.
Yeah Nketiah is at best a third or forth rate player, he shouldn't even be in this discussion.

Classical Mechanic

1. Abraham
  2. Toney
  3. Calvert Lewin
Is that the order past Kane? Unsure about Vardy or Greenwood anymore
For Southgate I think it's

1. Abraham
2. Watkins
3. Wilson

Vardey has retired from international football i think
Greenwood has... erm... well... lets just say its going to require a few other things to go his way before he is playing for England again
He's semi-retired. Says he'll come back if we really need him.

Nketiah, along with Hudson Odoi and Lamptey are likely to declare for Ghana soon. Ghana qualified for the World Cup so have become attactive for these players as none are close for England as it stands.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It would be a mistake for Hudson-Odoi I think. Understand the other two as Nketiah just isn't that great, and while Lamptey super talented, England have a couple of, in my opinion, generational talents blocking him out.

Hudson-Odoi though, is no less talented than Sancho, Rashford, Saka etc. His career doesn't stack up to them so far but ability wise, he's right there with them. He's been held back by untimely niggly injuries. I'm saying this on the assumption that it's playing time he's worried about. If representing Ghana means more to his heart than England, then of course he's making the right decision and I'm buzzing for him.

Classical Mechanic

It would be a mistake for Hudson-Odoi I think. Understand the other two as Nketiah just isn't that great, and while Lamptey super talented, England have a couple of, in my opinion, generational talents blocking him out.

Hudson-Odoi though, is no less talented than Sancho, Rashford, Saka etc. His career doesn't stack up to them so far but ability wise, he's right there with them. He's been held back by untimely niggly injuries. I'm saying this on the assumption that it's playing time he's worried about. If representing Ghana means more to his heart than England, then of course he's making the right decision and I'm buzzing for him.
I think Hudson Odoi has had a change of heart. He has a long history with England, 45 youth caps and an under 17 World Cup winner. He also has 3 senior caps. If he hadn't done his achillies then I'm sure he'd be cap tied to England by now but that set his England career back significantly. In the meantime I think he's decided that he really wants to play for Ghana.

I think all three are disappointing to lose for England. I wonder if Nketiah can kick on. His record at youth level was brilliant. He's England u21 all time top scorer too! He has looked a little off it at senior level but at the end of this season he's found some form. Lamptey has Trent, James, Walker and Trippier in front of him with Livramento competing with him too so he's miles off in all honesty.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

Something England need to keep an eye on is other countries tempting their players. It even happens right under their nose with Wales!

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Something England need to keep an eye on is other countries tempting their players. It even happens right under their nose with Wales!
Livramento is eligible for Scotland and Portugal I think - but like lampty and AWB would probably have a lot of caps in a previous generation but with Trent and James there they may well be tempted to dig through the family tree