Tammy Abraham - Roma Striker

3KDré

I wouldn’t blame him. He would start for sure, and know a lot of his compatriots of England and Nigeria already. Nigeria could probably beat us in a few years :D.

Oaencha

I wouldn’t blame him. He would start for sure, and know a lot of his compatriots of England and Nigeria already. Nigeria could probably beat us in a few years :D.
It would be a pretty close game if they played now.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
"I have informed The FA that I remain available for selection for England."

I forget how these things work. Do we now give him five minutes in a meaningless friendly, despite the fact he has a total of two premier league goals, so as to claim him as English - just in case he fulfils his potential? Or do friendlies not count for these things anymore?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41350367

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
From what I can see online he denies it. Seems they are saying he will play in the WC if they get there, must be tempting. In ten years time half the Nigerian squad will be English.
:nono:

They are Nigerian.

I see a golden generation coming through for us (I say 'us', but I'm also an East London born-and-raised Nigerian).

Mikel, Iwobi, Moses, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Onyekuru, Ighalo, Balogun and now Abraham - best group since 98. Really looking forward to seeing what we can do at the World Cup.

Imagine we got Dele Alli too :(

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

I forget how these things work. Do we now give him five minutes in a meaningless friendly, despite the fact he has a total of two premier league goals, so as to claim him as English - just in case he fulfils his potential? Or do friendlies not count for these things anymore?

Costa switched from Brazil to Spain despite playing a couple of friendlies for Brazil. Would need to be a competitive game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He wouldn't 'start for sure'. Ighalo is the current #9, and Iheanacho is also there fighting. Both have greater PL pedigree than Abraham I would say, at least thus far.

I'm rooting for him though. Comes from a great sporting family. His aunt sits next to me at work, and her son is Beno Obano, while her other nephew is Maro Itodje.

Classical Mechanic

:nono:

They are Nigerian.

I see a golden generation coming through for us (I say 'us', but I'm also an East London born-and-raised Nigerian).

Mikel, Iwobi, Moses, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Onyekuru, Ighalo, Balogun and now Abraham - best group since 98. Really looking forward to seeing what we can do at the World Cup.

Imagine we got Dele Alli too :(
If they are raised in England and products of the English footballing system then they are pretty English to me. The only reason Tammy would switch is for playing time which even the Nigerian FA bloke admitted.

Tammy hasn't switched anyway, for now at least.

Wilf Zaha played for us in a friendly but now plays for the Ivory Coast.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's bollocks, utter bollocks.

If you play at full international level even in a friendly you should be forced to stick with them. If you're not good enough for that country then you're not good enough.

Really if you represent that country at youth level then you should stick with them too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As an England fan, I'd not really like to have a player in the team who was only there because he was not good enough to play for another country. International football is different to me.

I don't give two shits where anyone is are born or what their family history is, if you consider yourself English that's good enough for me (I really wanted Saido Berahino to kick on and play for England because it would be a such a great example).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If they are raised in England and products of the English footballing system then they are pretty English to me. The only reason Tammy would switch is for playing time which even the Nigerian FA bloke admitted.

Tammy hasn't switched anyway, for now at least.

Wilf Zaha played for us in a friendly but now plays for the Ivory Coast.
Perhaps it's like that to you, but most British-born Nigerians today have a strong affinity to Nigeria. As much as we are British raised, our parents were not, they still have strong Nigerian accents, and raised them as Nigerians. I would imagine that, despite his obviously English accent, Tammy has been asked many times in his life 'where are you from?'. I imagine his answer is generally 'Nigeria'.

It's not a straight forward choice for me who I would play for if I were a footballer. I suspect I would probably lean towards Nigeria though.

Classical Mechanic

Perhaps it's like that to you, but most British-born Nigerians today have a strong affinity to Nigeria. As much as we are British raised, our parents were not, they still have strong Nigerian accents, and raised them as Nigerians. I would imagine that, despite his obviously English accent, Tammy has been asked many times in his life 'where are you from?'. I imagine his answer is generally 'Nigeria'.

It's not a straight forward choice for me who I would play for if I were a footballer. I suspect I would probably lean towards Nigeria though.
I'm not saying they don't have strong affinity to Nigeria, of course they do. I don't think you speak for Tammy on where he feels he is from though. Nigeria have been after aggressively after every English player with Nigerian heritage for years, some switch, some do not and so far Tammy hasn't. There are an abundance of players in the England youth teams currently with Nigerian heritage and some great talents so I'm sure many more will switch in coming years. It works out well for England and Nigeria overall I would say.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He rejected both his birth parents for his adoptive parents though.
I know that much. I'm just saying that he did have some level of upbringing from his Nigerian side too. I believe he even lived and schooled in Nigeria for a few years as a kid. Point is, fair enough he has decided to play for England, but he has had a connection with his Nigerian side too and could have made a different choice too.

SoCross

What's the Caf's thought on this kid? Almost 50 goals in two seasons in the Championship. Was quite decent at Swansea despite not scoring much.

Think he'd be given an opportunity at Chelsea?

Ekeke

What's the Caf's thought on this kid? Almost 50 goals in two seasons in the Championship. Was quite decent at Swansea despite not scoring much.

No. Just because its Chelsea. Will probably be a good striker for someone though

El Zoido

He’s decent and can improve further, but I’m not convinced he’s going to be at the highest level. But Villa will have trouble replacing him if Chelsea are unwilling to loan him out for another year.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

He was impressive against Derby. I always thought of him as at best a poacher and at worst a bit of a donkey, but both his movement and ball control were sharp. Really lovely piece of skill on the halfway line midway through the second half.

A better option than Higuain surely?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It's bollocks, utter bollocks.

If you play at full international level even in a friendly you should be forced to stick with them. If you're not good enough for that country then you're not good enough.

Really if you represent that country at youth level then you should stick with them too.
It's not that simple. Take a look at Cape Verdean descedent players who were born in Portugal: they have a very strong feeling by their parent's country, but Cape Verde youth NTeams don't have the funds to bring dozens of youth players + caretakers (because minor aged players can't travel alone), and also going to a game so far from PT would mean they would loose a lot of school days and they end up playing for Portugal's youth NT by a mater of convenience. It's easy and it can help on their careers CV.

I presume similar things happen with Nigeria NT in terms of youth teams funding.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Chelsea should be in a much better shape than they're now with all the great youth players they've had.

What happened to that Jeremie Boga kid?

izec

Chelsea should be in a much better shape than they're now with all the great youth players they've had.

What happened to that Jeremie Boga kid?
Think he plays somewhere in Italy, Sassuolo i think is where i saw him at the weekend

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

He’s nowhere near ready to be leading front line for a top side and I watch Villa often. He’s got more development in him but he’s not one you can say is certain to play for a top side - needs to bring it all together and toughen up too.

In Rainbows

He’s nowhere near ready to be leading front line for a top side and I watch Villa often. He’s got more development in him but he’s not one you can say is certain to play for a top side - needs to bring it all together and toughen up too.
I think he'll get a bench role with Chelsea. He can become a good squad player for them when they're tackling a transfer ban.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think he'll get a bench role with Chelsea. He can become a good squad player for them when they're tackling a transfer ban.
Similar to Axel, both are better off playing first team football at Villa and ironing out their kinks. They'll progress a lot quicker than stagnating on the bench.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's not that simple. Take a look at Cape Verdean descedent players who were born in Portugal: they have a very strong feeling by their parent's country, but Cape Verde youth NTeams don't have the funds to bring dozens of youth players + caretakers (because minor aged players can't travel alone), and also going to a game so far from PT would mean they would loose a lot of school days and they end up playing for Portugal's youth NT by a mater of convenience. It's easy and it can help on their careers CV.

I presume similar things happen with Nigeria NT in terms of youth teams funding.
FIFA and the different confederations should have funding in place to allow for this then. Help out the smaller/less financially privileged nations if they're struggling for funds and help bring the level of all teams up in the process by allowing them to keep really talented native born players who'll then go on to represent their national teams.

Anyway, in regards to how Abraham has done this season. Excellent and I'm glad for him but he needs to move from Chelsea. Perhaps staying with Villa for another year on loan would be a good idea so he doesn't have the pressure of immediately having to perform for them and then they can get another good striker in to compliment him. Too many promoted teams rely on a Championship level striker to get them goals in the Prem and then they fall flat so they need to look after Abraham and help him keep his confidence that he'll have gotten this season. The guy has talent but whether it's good enough for a Prem team I don't know and it's hard to perform for a struggling Prem team too (like when he was at Swansea for instance). Either way he should get as far away from Chelsea as possible.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
He's just another player in the long line of Chelsea players who should but haven't been given chances in their first team, honestly the amount of talent that's gone to waste there is absolutely criminal. That said maybe it's a good thing that they're unable to buy anyone because they might as well give him a chance at Chelsea next season. Potentially better than both Morata and Higuain and would take to the Premier League better than those two regardless.

SoCross

Think he could develop into a 10-15 goals a season striker so think it’s good business for a club outside the top six-seven to buy him.

Certainly would be useful for Chelsea though right now.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s a fecking fraud stealing a living.