Television Taskmaster | Season 17 now airing

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I also just got it to play on Christmas Day :lol:
:lol: I just had a look at the rules (not the tasks), dont forget to set a prize task to your guests and if you scan the QR code at the front theres a riddle for a bonus point, and you can print a PDF envelope for your tasks.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I got it last year.

Didn't really end up playing it because some of the tasks were a bit too much for chilled game on Xmas evening. Iirc you need a lot of props and things to complete tasks.
Is that the longer version or the shorter one?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
fecking hell.

And there was this post on Taskmaster Reddit a couple of months ago:

Leaked lineup going around on twitter. Can't see one of the names doing it but would be interesting if he did.

lsd

The Oracle
Not my predicted line up as usual but excited by it. Frankie Boyle is a bit of surprise for it but he is better when he isn't doing stand up for me.

Also as a fan of Ghosts on BBC Taskmaster is certainly doing the business for me

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Frankie will be class. I'm like 3 seasons behind and haven't watched in ages. How are the last few seasons are they worth it?

lsd

The Oracle
Frankie will be class. I'm like 3 seasons behind and haven't watched in ages. How are the last few seasons are they worth it?

In my opinion they are brilliant. It's been on a real roll recently every season seems better than the one before. The only ones I never really liked were seasons 6, 8, and 10

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Heard Ivo Graham on the Football Cliches podcast and liked him. He’s quite weird and has a niche attention to detail in a good way.

decorativeed

I am a fan of Ivo, and I think he'll be a great contestant. Been expecting him to be on sooner or later.

I'm going to miss some of this season's lot, especially Fern. Hadn't heard of her prior to this, but I'll be hoping to see more of her in the future.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It was good to see her finally win an episode yesterday. It's been a good series, even if Dara has run away with it a bit.

Having enjoyed Fern in this, we watched British as Folk on the Dave website, which was good. It also made a hit more sense of one of the funniest things we watched during lockdown:

Main thing I know Ivo Graham from is that Off Menu.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm actually genuinely shocked that Dara won, for one very simple reason. I listen to the Taskmaster Podcast, and since it began in Series 10 the champion has always been on the final episode. This series Dara was on earlier and Sara hadn't been on yet, so as soon as Dara appeared I knew that he wasn't going to win after all.

Good finale, that. The grape task was in the NZ version, though the challenges were different.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Main thing I know Ivo Graham from is that Off Menu.
During lockdown 1 he presented a YouTube quiz series, where he'd get a bunch of comedians for a virtual pub quiz. That was the first time I saw him and he came across quite well in that. Quite sharp and witty. I'm expecting him to be quite thoughtful with the tasks. Not necessarily good, mind - that's always harder to predict.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Really great programme this, watched the finale last night.

Next seasons contestants look interesting - when does it start anyone know?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Really great programme this, watched the finale last night.

Next seasons contestants look interesting - when does it start anyone know?

I don't think it's confirmed yet, but it looks like under C4 they've moved to two seasons a year - one around March/April, one in September, so it might be a bit of a wait for Season 15.

They do have the New Year special coming though, which is where they rope in non-comedians that might not be a good fit for a 10-episode season. This year they've got Carol Vorderman and Mo Farah.

Bertie Wooster

During lockdown 1 he presented a YouTube quiz series, where he'd get a bunch of comedians for a virtual pub quiz. That was the first time I saw him and he came across quite well in that. Quite sharp and witty. I'm expecting him to be quite thoughtful with the tasks. Not necessarily good, mind - that's always harder to predict.
Yeah, I enjoyed Ivo's YouTube quiz during lockdown. I've seen him on a good few panel shows - in particular on two separate weeks of House of Games (and he's on for a third time in an upcoming week just before Christmas for those who want to watch him). And also on British as Folk - along with Fern Brady. And I quite like his dry, self-mocking style.

I watch a lot of the panel shows so I'm usually familiar with most of the contestants as most of them regularly pop up on one or another (and, again, 4 out of 5 of the newly announced series). It'll be interesting to see how Frankie Boyle works on a warmer show like Taskmaster. He's witty, but his humour is often quite acerbic / political. But most seem to adjust their style to suit the tone of Taskmaster and he'll probably rein it in a bit as well and he should be an entertaining watch.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Loved the last series. Up there as one of the best.

I'd seen all 5 before on panel shows - but Dara and Sarah a lot more than the others. I'd mostly seen John in 'character', so it was great to see how entertaining he was as himself.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That'll probably go down as one of my favourite series of the show. They all had their moments in the sun and lots of funny moments. Glad John didn't go in character - think that would have put a dampener on things.

Bertie Wooster

I've started re-watching Ivo's YouTube quiz again since the news he'll be on the next series of Taskmaster.

My favourite so far is probably the 5th, as it includes Tim Key behaving pretty much like he does on No More Jockeys... :)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Caught up on the last couple. Only one I skipped was the Tim Vine one, first episode I knew just wasn't going to be much fun. This last series very good.

0le

looking forward to the new years treat episode on 1st Jan.

Bertie Wooster

The new series (15) begins next Thursday - 30th March.

A reminder of the group - Frankie Boyle, Ivo Graham, Jenny Eclair, Kiell Smith-Bynoe, Mae Martin.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been watching the NZ one. Heard season 2 was the best so started with that. The whole thing with the Brussel sprout was great. The Taskmaster is proper dull though isn’t he. Has nothing funny to say ever.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Started watching Australian TaskMaster... it's OK, some of the comedians are trying too hard though, doesn't seem as natural as the NZ version

Been watching the NZ one. Heard season 2 was the best so started with that. The whole thing with the Brussel sprout was great. The Taskmaster is proper dull though isn’t he. Has nothing funny to say ever.
Yeah, Jeremy Wells is a bit understated - You actually appreciate him more in Season 2 after Season 1 - as he's REALLY underwhelming in Season 1.

Paul Williams more then makes up for it though - he's great.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
NZ Taskmaster shows just how much Greg carries the show. Put him and Williams together and it would be pure magic every season no matter who the guests are.
That would be great to watch. None of the other taskmasters have come close. I took one look at who they put in for the Aussie version, and knew it wasn't going to be great.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
David Correos in the NZ version is great :lol:

“I’m gonna drown you in your own blood”.

Smores

Yeah think he's probably one of my favorites as well. You'd think at some point they might do an international special with some of the best of each country.

It's a shame the format doesn't really allow the funniest people to come back.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Started watching Australian TaskMaster... it's OK, some of the comedians are trying too hard though, doesn't seem as natural as the NZ version

Yeah, Jeremy Wells is a bit understated - You actually appreciate him more in Season 2 after Season 1 - as he's REALLY underwhelming in Season 1.

Paul Williams more then makes up for it though - he's great.
He's basically a cardboard cutout in season 1. He's better in season 2, but still not great. He just doesn't seem... funny. It shows how important Greg is.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah think he's probably one of my favorites as well. You'd think at some point they might do an international special with some of the best of each country.

It's a shame the format doesn't really allow the funniest people to come back.
Alex recently said on an AMA (that's on the Taskmaster YouTube Channel) that he would love to do an International winners special, even though it would probably be difficult to sign off and people might not be interested in watching it.