Tennis 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Hope Nadal now skips Basel. Just leave it at Paris and London. First time he's had strapping on his knee for a while, so hope he's okay.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Love Roger. Will miss him when he's retired. Some magnificent tennis from him today. Not like Rafa played bad, Roger was just unbelievable.

MichaelKorleone

Didn't follow this tournament until I came across Del Potro vs Federer SF after our match yesterday. Is it me or do these two almost always play great matches? Great tennis in SF (at least the two sets I watched) and Finals from Federer. With 94th ATP Singles title, he's now joint 2nd of Open Era list along with Lendl. Connors leads with 109 while McEnroe has 77 and Nadal 75.

InfiniteBoredom

Fed really fecked up his chances with Montreal. Without the back issue he'd have walked USO.

With Nadal now unable to attack his backhand, their match up has completely swung the other way. AO was the only time this year Nadal looked competitive against Roger.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Got around to watch a replay of the match. What a performance again, I never thought I'd see Federer play as comfortably against Nadal as he has in 2017. He's been unstoppable whenever he hit form this year.
If I'm not mistaken, Federer has no held serve more than 30 straight times against Nadal, the last time he got broken was in the 5th set of the AO final. Bonkers.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Nevermind the fact Federer was fantastic again today and has turned the match-up on its head, it’s the fact that now Nadal’s game is almost a preference for Federer to play against. He has completely reversed this matchup. In the past Nadal brought out the worst in Federer but now it’s the exact opposite.

Such a shame Federer wont finish number 1 this year

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Missed the match, but from the all the comments it sounds like Fed opened up a can of whoopass on Rafa. Would be great for Tennis if they can both keep up this form next year.

Enigma_87

You know who
Missed the match, but from the all the comments it sounds like Fed opened up a can of whoopass on Rafa. Would be great for Tennis if they can both keep up this form next year.
Never been so confident when watching Fed play Nadal.

Nadal is playing Basel and the WTF. Both matches are the same (WTF) or worse conditions (Basel) for Nadal and I expect the same outcome in straight sets.

I can see Nadal having a slim chance at Paris as it's not one of Fed's favorite tournaments, but it isn't Nadal's also...

It really is as it sounds. Back in the days Nadal beating Federer was really "easy" - go for his backhand with heavy, spinny balls and expect some slice backhands and feed on the short balls(same can be said about serving wide from the deuce side).

This year is totally backwards - no slice backhands from Federer, he pins Nadal 5-6 feet behind the baseline on his serve, attacks his 2nd serve with returns in his feet taking away the time from Nadal and capitalizes on Nadal's short balls.

Something he should've done ages ago mind.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nadal pulled out of Basel citing over stress on his right knee. Cilic will be second seed.

InfiniteBoredom

That was old news. Also, if Roger manages to win both Paris and WTF and Nadal doesn't make both finals, he finishes World No.1, so still something left to play for.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Not sure if this thread is strictly for professional tennis but curious about tennis strings as I am picking up the game again after a 10-15 year absence. I used to go back & forth between Prince Pro Blend or Topspin strings but curious what would be a similar/better string to consider for an intermediate level player

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Canada are looking stacked for the future. They now have the youngest player in the top 100 (Shapovalov) and Top 200 (Auger-Aliassime). The latter, at 17 years and 1 month old, is the youngest top 200 player since Nadal in 2002. The kid looks amazing. :eek:

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure if this thread is strictly for professional tennis but curious about tennis strings as I am picking up the game again after a 10-15 year absence. I used to go back & forth between Prince Pro Blend or Topspin strings but curious what would be a similar/better string to consider for an intermediate level player
What's do you consider intermediate mate? 4.0-4.5 USA? You are looking to improve your game or just more durable string?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
What's do you consider intermediate mate? 4.0-4.5 USA? You are looking to improve your game or just more durable string?
4.0 but I've been away from the game for some time, my footwork & timing is off but like riding a bike is coming back. I play with a stiff racquet and used to play around 58 lbs with Prince Topsin or Problend which gave me some nice control, power & spin. But because I've been away so long I figure there are a lot of interesting new strings to consider. Happy Wilson released the Classic Pro Staff 6.1 which is similar to my old racquets

Enigma_87

You know who
4.0 but I've been away from the game for some time, my footwork & timing is off but like riding a bike is coming back. I play with a stiff racquet and used to play around 58 lbs with Prince Topsin or Problend which gave me some nice control, power & spin. But because I've been away so long I figure there are a lot of interesting new strings to consider. Happy Wilson released the Classic Pro Staff 6.1 which is similar to my old racquets
If you are looking at more control I'd suggest Solinco Hyper-G. It's popular and I think a good value at around 10 bucks. You won't get as much power with it like you have used to and I suggest you go down to 54/52(the suggested weight is around 55lbs by manufacturer). Think 58 lbs is tad too much, doesn't your arm get more tension at that weight after 1-2 hrs session?

There is also Babolat origin if you are looking for power, but it's a bit expensive (costs around double the Hyper-G) and if you string it at 58lbs your shots might usually finish on the fence.

I'd suggest you go with less weight at the beginning see how it goes and how your arm feels after a longer session and then tune it to your liking. Hyper - G is durable so most likely it is a nice starting point.

Both will lack bite, but after couple of months you can change to a more powerful or put more weight on the Babolat. Both will give you plenty of control until you get your timing back.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Federer breaks immediately. Should be an interesting match, though.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
2017 Next Generation ATP Finals sounds like tennis for twats.

A number of innovative rule changes will be introduced in 2017 including best of five sets, first to four games in each set, tie break at 3-All, no-ad scoring (receiver’s choice) and no lets. There will also be amended rules regarding time, the match will start 5 minutes from entry of second player onto court, a shot clock to ensure 25 second rule, a maximum of one medical timeout per player per match, limits on when coaches can talk to players and the public will be allowed to move around during a match (except at baselines). In September 2017 the ATP announced that there would be no line judges at the event. The only official on court will be the umpire and all line calls will be made by Hawk-Eye. All calls will therefore be final; however, foot faults, which are usually called by the baseline official, can be challenged and will be reviewed by a camera fixed on the server's feet.

Maybe I do like no line judges one though, depending how fast that is in real time.

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
2017 Next Generation ATP Finals sounds like tennis for twats.

A number of innovative rule changes will be introduced in 2017 including best of five sets, first to four games in each set, tie break at 3-All, no-ad scoring (receiver’s choice) and no lets. There will also be amended rules regarding time, the match will start 5 minutes from entry of second player onto court, a shot clock to ensure 25 second rule, a maximum of one medical timeout per player per match, limits on when coaches can talk to players and the public will be allowed to move around during a match (except at baselines). In September 2017 the ATP announced that there would be no line judges at the event. The only official on court will be the umpire and all line calls will be made by Hawk-Eye. All calls will therefore be final; however, foot faults, which are usually called by the baseline official, can be challenged and will be reviewed by a camera fixed on the server's feet.

Maybe I do like no line judges one though, depending how fast that is in real time.
I don't like the first to 4 games. The player serving first will have a massive advantage then

The things I'm looking forward to seeing are no lets and no line judges

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Giggsy92

Looking like a Federer vs Delpo final. Wouldn't mind Federer losing if it meant Delpo qualified for London, decent chance he will with all the other contenders in terrible form. Although revenge for 2012/13 would be nice.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fed looks like he's going to run away with this. Would be nice to get some revenge on JDP tomorrow.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah watched it LIVE. It happened at such a pivotal moment that I think it broke Mannarino's spirit a bit and allowed Fed to gain the psychological advantage going forward.
You were in the stadium?

Del Potro in the final as expected. So it's my favorite against my 2nd favorite player again the way the current match is going.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You were in the stadium?

Del Potro in the final as expected. So it's my favorite against my 2nd favorite player again the way the current match is going.
I wish i was there. I meant to say I watched it as it happened on TV. It was a pivotal moment.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I wish i was there. I meant to say I watched it as it happened on TV. It was a pivotal moment.
Oh. I watched it as well and that match had me rip my hair out at times.
Much like against Tiafoe there were more than a few shades of Darth Federer 2006/07 in today's encounter. Poor Goffin, he never stood a chance.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Del Potro takes the first set on a tie breaker. Fed had his chances but couldn't squeak it out. Needs to start the 2nd strong.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Federer is mentally at his peak. Even if he loses this, granite like stuff in that second.

Giggsy92

Federer's having a bit of a shocker. Fun match but he really should have wrapped it up already.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Federer throws it away. This is gonna be a nightmare now if del Potro doesn't collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.