Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungledrums

I think Nick will flatten Grigor in 3. The latter hasn't been impressive at all.
Honestly, I think the same, but Dimitrov surely has to find some form eventually? Either way, he probably has a little room for error, as a best of 5 favours Dimitrov over Kyrgios, with his impressive conditioning.

InfiniteBoredom

Schwartzman won 2nd set tie break, game on!

Pretty good match to watch. the net is Satan to both but plenty of great shots.

Giggsy92

Dimitrov playing a lot better today than he did in his previous matches, albeit probably not well enough to worry Rafa yet.

jungledrums

Dimitrov two sets up with 2 tie break win.

Unexpected is an understatement to say the least.
Kyrgios is, in my opinion, a better player than Dimitrov. He’s just so fecking fragile mentally. He’s played terribly and is still very much in this, whereas I feel Dimitrov has exerted himself quite a bit.

InfiniteBoredom

Kyrgios is, in my opinion, a better player than Dimitrov. He’s just so fecking fragile mentally. He’s played terribly and is still very much in this, whereas I feel Dimitrov has exerted himself quite a bit.
I don't think he's playing terribly at all, just unable to raise his game on the biggest points.

Fair play to Dimitrov. After his first two service games when he had heaps of DFs I thought he was gonna crumble but the guy has been much more resilient compare to the past.

jungledrums

I don't think he's playing terribly at all, just unable to raise his game on the biggest points.

Fair play to Dimitrov. After his first two service games when he had heaps of DFs I thought he was gonna crumble but the guy has been much more resilient compare to the past.
Yeah fair point. Kyrgios has some maturing to do nonetheless. How can he justify the lack of intensity in some points? Mind you, I like him, it’s just frustrating to watch.

saivet

A lot of tennis people I listen to think Dimitrov tends to match up quite well against Kyrgios, and the loss in Brisbane was more Dimitrov being rusty.

InfiniteBoredom

It'd be interesting to see who gives in mentally first in a 5 setter.

Nick has the momentum though, if he breaks early in the 4th it'd be a quick set.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In other news.....A British player not called Andy Murray makes the quarter finals of a slam and no one on this thread notices. :lol:

Giggsy92

What a match, shame we didn't get a fifth set. Just hope Kyrgios kicks on from this (and also stays injury free), need more matches like this one and his semi vs Fed in Miami in the latter stages of slams.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Dimitrov v Edmund surely only goes one way...
Yes Dimitrov will be the favourite but he has been on the court for over 12 hours now. He was lucky to win second round against a player I've never heard of. Good win today though.

saivet

Dimitrov v Edmund surely only goes one way...
Their match in Brisbane was good. Edmund twisted his ankle in the third set of that one and that seemed to have an impact on the rest of that match.

I don't think it will be a routine straight sets win Dimitrov.

Giggsy92

Novak a set and a break down to the younger Korean version of himself. He's not looking particularly fit.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
For those watching, is Novak struggling with his new service technique? I see he has broken Chung multiple times but got broken himself a lot too. Or is it just case of a coming back from long lay-off an hence the struggle against a quality player?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Chung!:eek: Amazing performance! This kid has the talent but most importantly he's tough mentally! Going places this kid.

Jazz

Chung 'Out -Novacked' Novack...'

Lovely match to see on my day off..:)

RORY65

Djokovic obviously isn't at his best but Chung has been fantastic. Everyone was saying before the tournament that Federer's side looked way harder than Nadal's but suddenly with Thiem (albeit he's the most frustrating player on the men's side), Del Potro, Zverev, Djokovic, Wawrinka (albeit it seemed clear even before the tournament that he wasn't anywhere near fully fit) and Goffin out the bottom half of the draw has really opened up. Chung is now the favourite to make the semi finals.

InfiniteBoredom

Chung!:eek: Amazing performance! This kid has the talent but most importantly he's tough mentally! Going places this kid.
Yes. Neither the flair of Kyrgios nor the serving power and forehand of Zverev but he is cool as a cucumber and always take the right option.

If he can develop a better serve I'm convinced he'll win a Slam.

Jazz

No I've got a feeling about this Chung guy. The most impressive thing about him for me is his mental toughness. Could not believe what I was watching.

Giggsy92

It's a great run whatever happens but he could win the whole thing if he keeps playing that well.

Jazz

Yes. Neither the flair of Kyrgios nor the serving power and forehand of Zverev but he is cool as a cucumber and always take the right option.

If he can develop a better serve I'm convinced he'll win a Slam.
Definitely.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if he won a Slam before getting his serve better! Like you say, he's just so calm.
Be interesting to see how he would cope with someone serving lots of aces. Novack's game gives him a lot of rhythm, and therefore suits him. Wonder what it'd be like if he had to generate some of that by himself... in any case, well done to him.

saivet

Reading up on Chung's next opponent, he's pretty much a journey man. This is the first slam he's made past R1. He's 26 and it was only last year he even made the main draw of a slam.

InfiniteBoredom

Reading up on Chung's next opponent, he's pretty much a journey man. This is the first slam he's made past R1. He's 26 and it was only last year he even made the main draw of a slam.
late 2017-early 2018: The rise of journeymen.

Would be pretty funny if this guy makes the semi after PCB's run last year.

The two draws now is dead even. On current form Berdych and Dimitrov are about equal. Looks like I have to book that final ticket now.

Status
Not open for further replies.