Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajma

Nah they're not. Highest level is a meaningless term anyway. Wawrinka at his best blows anyone off the park. Federer's best level is as good as anyone that's played the game.

Where it really counts, which is actually being the best tennis player rather than pointless waffle like 'highest level', it's Federer then Nadal and then, some way behind, Djokovic. From this generation at least.
Imo you’re trying to hard to downplay Novak, no one is doubting Federers greatness here.

Skills

Snitch
Nah they're not. Highest level is a meaningless term anyway. Wawrinka at his best blows anyone off the park. Federer's best level is as good as anyone that's played the game.

Where it really counts, which is actually being the best tennis player rather than pointless waffle like 'highest level', it's Federer then Nadal and then, some way behind, Djokovic. From this generation at least.
It's not bollocks though. Novaks peak is up there and in my opinion exceeds anyone who has ever played the game. 2011 and 2015/16 Djokovic did things nobody else had ever done - beating Nadal at Roland Garros, actually having a winning record against Nadal on clay, beating one of the top 3 players of all time in 3 consecutive grandslam finals. And he also held all 4 grandslams at once. He was dominating the sport in an unprecedented style and beating a mighty opponents (especially Nadal) in order to do it.

To say he's a long way behind anyone is bollocks in my opinion.

AshRK

Djokovic is a class player and again he showed that today. In the era of Federer and Nadal, Djokovic time and time again has shown he is equally good if not better to those two greats. In fact, peak Djokovic was something else. Anyways hope he wins tomorrow

InfiniteBoredom

Interesting stat from the match, Nadal only covered 300m more in distance but the difference per point is stark. 79m vs 112m.

May explain some of the loose service games following a hard attempt at break.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Had a feeling Novak would take it while watching the first game of day 2 when he nearly broke Rafa.

Skills

Snitch
Had a feeling Novak would take it while watching the first game of day 2 when he nearly broke Rafa.
Tie breaker was critical yesterday. Gave Djokovic a chance to feel his way into the game today, and then all of a sudden at the end of the 5th he started controlling the baseline. Nadal just couldn't keep up the intensity throughout.

InfiniteBoredom

Kerber with her typical fast start. There would be a meltdown in the 5th-6th game though.

Although not surprising that Serena got broken when the opponent manage to return the ball her way on every serves.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Imo you’re trying to hard to downplay Novak, no one is doubting Federers greatness here.
Not at all. Djokovic is a sensational tennis player. But he's a fallen a bit behind the big 2. His top level is up there with anyone but I don't think he cares about that. He'll want to start catching up again.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don't believe Djokovic being so far behind Federer in number of Grand Slams is an accurate reflection of their level of play throughout the years. He was unlucky to have been born when he did and to have to face the players he did at different times of his career.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Serena's serve not on fire today... think she's a tad nervous..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not bollocks though. Novaks peak is up there and in my opinion exceeds anyone who has ever played the game. 2011 and 2015/16 Djokovic did things nobody else had ever done - beating Nadal at Roland Garros, actually having a winning record against Nadal on clay, beating one of the top 3 players of all time in 3 consecutive grandslam finals. And he also held all 4 grandslams at once. He was dominating the sport in an unprecedented style and beating a mighty opponents (especially Nadal) in order to do it.

To say he's a long way behind anyone is bollocks in my opinion.
He is clearly a long way behind right now. 8 behind Federer and 5 behind Nadal. Those are bit numbers.

As for top level, it's very subjective. I personally have never seen anyone reach Federer's best level. But it's a meaningless thing to say and impossible to prove. All three players and others like Borg etc must have all have reached an incredible level at some point. Also I think you said 'best players'. Djokovic is simply not that. He has catching up to do.

Anyway this is a great win and good for tennis. Superb way to come back to the big stage.

Brophs

The One and Only
Even if Kerber wins this set, she'll either win in 2 or lose in 3.

Jazz

What a fantastic match from Kerber. Not sure Serena cam make a comeback here.

Jazz

Congrats to Kerber. She played a perfect match today and deserves the win.

Serena will be back to have another go at equalling the record.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Great stuff from Kerber. Has now won three different GS titles, that's impressive.

Kerber did well but Serena made it so easy for her - the amount of unforced errors she made were ridiculous.

Nikhil

I see the Federer fanboys have their knickers in a twist. He is such a sore loser and never appreciates his opponent when he is beaten. Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, JMDP are so much better. They are very likeable as well. Federer is a bore. He isn't sporting in the least. Always makes snide, nasty remarks about other players.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Comedy spanning through every thread these days :lol:

Kazi

Nadal and Djokovic. The two greatest of all time. Huge respect to both of them.
Hahaha yesss!!!

Everyone knows Federer would be nothing short of a bum if he didn’t pad his record beating journeymen and Roddick for 5 years.

Nikhil

Federer won Slams unopposed for 5 years after Sampras, Agassi and the others retired. There was no one to challenge him. It was the worst period in men's tennis. An immature Roddick and an inconsistent Hewitt were two notable players. Of them, Roddick only won one Slam in his career. Nadal was only a supreme beast on clay then, winning his first Major at the age of 19 in 2005.

Federer isn't even in the top 10 men's players of all time. Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Wilander, Becker, Bjorg, Agassi, Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic are all better than that bore. Hope he retires soon. Can't stand him and his mentality of being unsporting and being disrespectful to his opponents when he loses.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Federer won Slams unopposed for 5 years after Sampras, Agassi and the others retired. There was no one to challenge him. It was the worst period in men's tennis. An immature Roddick and an inconsistent Hewitt were two notable players. Of them, Roddick only won one Slam in his career. Nadal was only a supreme beast on clay then, winning his first Major at the age of 19 in 2005.

Federer isn't even in the top 10 men's players of all time. Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Wilander, Becker, Bjorg, Agassi, Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic are all better than that bore. Hope he retires soon. Can't stand him and his mentality of being unsporting and being disrespectful to his opponents when he loses.
Federer won his first slam in 03 and Nadal in 05. They started playing one another in 2004, so that argument doesn't really hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.