Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is there stat for distance covered in Tennis? I reckon Nadal covers twice as much as his opponent.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Nadal must be absolutely gutted, would have almost certainly been his third Wimbledon title had he won this. But great performance from Djokovic and good to see him in top form, hopefully Murray can rejoin the pack at some point...

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
A bit subdued reaction from the crowd. The Brits don't like him much ?
We like Roger and Rafa best:lol:

There's loads of respect for Novak. I think the crowd were just astonished it ended sort of tamely when it didn't look there was anything between both players.

Jazz

Not sure if he started eating meat again, but yes, he most definitely is.
I hope so! He was looking pretty awful a while back and there were crazy rumours about some weird diet stuff going on.
Also, seems like his 'guru' is no longer around.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wow what a result. Shane I missed the match. I certainly didn't expect Djokovic to beat Nadal in his first real go at a GrandSlam in ages. I felt he would take a few harsh defeats to the likes of Nadal/Federer before truly reaching his best but he's just gone ahead and beaten Nadal and is possibly going to win Wimbledon. Way to stamp your authority again.

Would have loved to see Federer take him on but he can't win every year. Relieved Nadal isn't reaching on 18 at Wimbledon but he's done well this year.

Jazz

It's going to be a fantastic US Open for sure now that Novak is back to his best (ish).

Brophs

The One and Only
Missed all of the semis apart from the last few games but whatever your preference/view on players’ personalities etc. tennis is immeasurably better when you have fit, healthy and competitive-on-all-surfaces Nadal/Djokovic. I fear for how competitive the final will be given how capable I think Djokovic is of completely nullifying Anderson’s strengths but if so, he’ll still have more than earned it.

Giggsy92

Not sure Nadal can afford to lose matches like that if he wants to get back in the GOAT debate. Good to see Novak playing well again - Anderson could/should have beaten him here in 2015 and he's struggled against other big servers in the past, so hopefully the final is at least somewhat competitive.

Jazz

Anderson hopefully wins
Wasn't it Anderson who beat him a few years back at Wimby?

If Anderson hadn't spent all that time on court I'd have given him half a chance. Mind you, who knows what will happen.

Jazz

If Serena does it today, she will have 24 grand slams and equal Margaret Court. That would be unbelievable.

InfiniteBoredom

Wasn't it Anderson who beat him a few years back at Wimby?

If Anderson hadn't spent all that time on court I'd have given him half a chance. Mind you, who knows what will happen.
Nah. They went to 5 in 2015 but Djoker won.

Anderson lead 2-0 then, interestingly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Anderson's fatigue disadvantage from yesterday's long match has more or less been wiped out since Novak just played 3 sets of tennis a day before the final. Should be a great match.

Jazz

Nah. They went to 5 in 2015 but Djoker won.

Anderson lead 2-0 then, interestingly.
Oh really? I thought a big server had put him out when he first started having his bad form. Will have to look up who it was.

Jazz

Anderson's fatigue disadvantage from yesterday's long match has more or less been wiped out since Novak just played 3 sets of tennis a day before the final. Should be a great match.
Suspect Novak is fitter than Anderson...

InfiniteBoredom

Anderson has still had a lot of a heck more court time. More than 21 hours.

Djokovic imo would still have the edge physically if it goes late.

Jazz

They faced each other in 2015 in a five setter. Novak coming from two sets down to win.

Hopefully he has a little something left in him .
Would have to serve exceptionally well and not give Novak a sniff. If Novak doesn't get into a rhythm, he'll start getting frustrated. Still a tall order for Anderson though.

Jazz

Nah they're the two best. Nobody has played tennis at a higher level than either of them - especially Djokovic.
That's your opinion. They are two of the best, not the two best:)

Skills

Snitch
This game was more taxing than Anderson's serving and standing for 6 hours. Last night's break might have played in Noles favour though, because the fatigue didn't build up

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ordinarily yes, but he doesn't have the same recovery time Anderson will have. The extra day of rest will make a bit of a difference irrespective of how much Anderson played two days ago.

Jazz

This game was more taxing than Anderson's serving and standing for 6 hours. Last night's break might have played in Noles favour though, because the fatigue didn't build up
Yep.

Regardless, Novak is the overwhelming favourite. Sort of sucks this semi wasn't the final..

amolbhatia50k

Not sure Nadal can afford to lose matches like that if he wants to get back in the GOAT debate. Good to see Novak playing well again - Anderson could/should have beaten him here in 2015 and he's struggled against other big servers in the past, so hopefully the final is at least somewhat competitive.
Two huge losses for him to Federer and Djokovic in the last two years now. But all the big players have them.

Either way he's behind Federer and ahead of Djokovic in that debate. The guy he lost to isn't really close to him that respect.

Jazz

Are any of you lads going to watch the ladies final or is it just left to us girls?:)

amolbhatia50k

Nah they're the two best. Nobody has played tennis at a higher level than either of them - especially Djokovic.
Nah they're not. Highest level is a meaningless term anyway. Wawrinka at his best blows anyone off the park. Federer's best level is as good as anyone that's played the game.

Where it really counts, which is actually being the best tennis player rather than pointless waffle like 'highest level', it's Federer then Nadal and then, some way behind, Djokovic. From this generation at least.

Rajma

Fairplay to Djokovic. Think overall Nadal played better in this match but just made some critical mistakes at key points.
I actually disagree, you only need to look at successfully converted break point stats as Novak couldn’t capitalise on so many instances coming into 5th set to me that tells he had more reserve in him.

InfiniteBoredom

I actually disagree, you only need to look at successfully converted break point stats as Novak couldn’t capitalise on so many instances coming into 5th set to me that tells he had more reserve in him.
Well you can also read that as Nadal being so much better at converting chances that come his way.

I haven't looked up the total number of points but going off memory I doubt it's more than 5 between them. Just a dead even match all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.