Tennis 2019

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I agree. I agree with the equal prize money but the equality should be across the board. Otherwise it’s special treatment.
Agreed. And its not as if it would be a tall order since men and women already play the same amount of sets with the exception of slams and Davis Cup. Shouldn't be hard to make all women's slams best of fives.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not sure how Halep is considered to be attractive - her face is below average. There’s been better on the tennis court for sure.

Nuts

Instead of shaking your head why not cough up an answer to what I said.
First of all the vast majority of players have no say in how many sets are played so you're advocating discriminating against women over an issue they have no control over.
Athletes aren't paid to train - the tournaments are the end product of gruelling year round training schedules and the women train just as hard and just as long... Prize money should recognise that.
Azarenka and Williams have both been through pregnancies and childbirth before working their way back to elite level tennis - I'd suggest this requires a degree of mental and physical preparation that exceeds anything Novak or Roger have had to - this should be taken into account.
Its sponsorship, ticket sales and broadcast deals that contribute to prize money. What if these are higher for the women's tournament than the mens - would you change your mind?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
First of all the vast majority of players have no say in how many sets are played so you're advocating discriminating against women over an issue they have no control over.
I'm actually advocating an end to all of the imbalances by leveling all pay and sets played. It's not a matter of whether women or men have a say in the policies they are asked to play by since we are resolving all of that here by advocating best of 5 and equal pay.

Athletes aren't paid to train - the tournaments are the end product of gruelling year round training schedules and the women train just as hard and just as long... Prize money should recognise that.
Azarenka and Williams have both been through pregnancies and childbirth before working their way back to elite level tennis - I'd suggest this requires a degree of mental and physical preparation that exceeds anything Novak or Roger have had to do.
Its sponsorship, ticket sales and broadcast deals that contribute to prize money. What if these are higher for the women's tournament than the mens - would you change your mind?
Not sure what your point is here. People make choices in life and aren't obliged to have kids while they are on tour. Likewise Serena and Williams took time off to pursue their interest in fashion, then returned a year or so later. These are all choices.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Is Serena really considered better than Graf or even Seles?
Not by me.

Tournament wins
Navratilova 167
Evert 157
Graf 107
Court 92 (192)
Williams 72

Grand Slam wins
Williams 23
Graf 22
Navratilova 18
Evert 18
Court 11 (24)

Winning percentage
Court 593-56 (91.37%) Open Era only
Evert 1309-146 (89.96%)
Graf 902-115 (88.69%)
Navratilova 1442-219 (86.81%)
Williams 816-140 (85.35%)

Weeks at #1
Graf 377
Navratilova 332
Williams 319
Evert 260
Court ?

Guess for all of them one could argue was the greatest.

I fancy Graf personally.

wr8_utd

:'(
Not by me.

Tournament wins
Navratilova 167
Evert 157
Graf 107
Court 92 (192)
Williams 72

Grand Slam wins
Williams 23
Graf 22
Navratilova 18
Evert 18
Court 11 (24)

Winning percentage
Court 593-56 (91.37%) Open Era only
Evert 1309-146 (89.96%)
Graf 902-115 (88.69%)
Navratilova 1442-219 (86.81%)
Williams 816-140 (85.35%)

Weeks at #1
Graf 377
Navratilova 332
Williams 319
Evert 260
Court ?

Guess for all of them one could argue was the greatest.

I fancy Graf personally.
I honestly don't know much about women's tennis from before these last 15 years or so. How do the others have so many wins and such a high winning percentage? Did they all play a lot of 250 level tournaments?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pay should mostly be based on revenue generated and public interest Id say. If someone plays a 24 hour match for a crowd of 3, he shouldn't earn more than someone playing a 3 minute match for a crowd of millions. The men both play for longer and attract more viewers. While I think equal pay is commendable, it's not discrimination to argue against it. It's capitalism.

1 out of 48 points. How many of you would fancy it?
Im sure I could accidently get one serve and volley point, my serve's decent. Or do you get just one game to try? Then 99 out of a 100 times, obviously not.

A double fault or unforced error is a better bet though. Don't think it's very controversial. Getting a game of her on the other hand. Not even if I could put 5 of me on court at the same time.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who

1 out of 48 points. How many of you would fancy it?
You can't really compare men with women.

Williams sisters were always cocky about it, but not many have forgotten Karsten Braasch?

Karsten Braasch (born 14 July 1967) is a German former professional tennis player. His highest ATP singles ranking was World No. 38, which he reached in June 1994. His career-high in doubles was World No. 36, achieved in November 1997.[1] He was well-noted for his service motion and his habit of smoking during changeovers.

Braasch competed in a "Battle of the Sexes" contest against the Williams sisters (Venus and Serena) at the 1998 Australian Open when he was ranked 203. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centred around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[2] He nonetheless defeated both sisters, playing a single set against each, beating Serena 6–1 and Venus 6–2.[3] Braasch was thirty years old at the time, while Venus and Serena were seventeen and sixteen, respectively.
Serena doesn't have the athleticism and reach of men. A 5.5 player most likely will make it competitive if Serena plays her best. A 6.5 player I'd wager beating her 9 out of 10 or even 10 out of 10.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I'd go with Navratilova as my personal GOAT. On top of her amazing singles performances you have her unmatched doubles record as well. She won the US open mixed doubles aged a couple of weeks shy of 50 ffs.

Her titles are amazing:

Singles: 18 grand slams (3rd most in Open era), 167 overall (the most Open era)
Doubles: 31 grand slams (the most all time - by 10!), 177 overall (the most all time)

Her longevity equally amazing

Singles: played 1661 (Most, all time, by 206 matches), won 1442 (Most, all time, by 133 matches) - her overall win percentage is joint 6th, but arguably the second most impressive after Evert.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Here's to a great final.

Not even nervous. Roger should just enjoy himself and what will be will be. Novak clear favourite.

Rajma

Not sure how Novak deals with the nerves and it won’t be the most welcoming environment for him to settle in, hope he manages to handle it.

wr8_utd

Come on Novak! Straight sets please. Got a bad feeling Federer wins this though.

wr8_utd

Not sure how Novak deals with the nerves and it won’t be the most welcoming environment for him to settle in, hope he manages to handle it.
He's used to the hate when playing against Federer (most players in the world probably are by now) so hopefully he doesn't let it affect him or if it does, he channels the anger to play better like Ronaldo does.

Jazz

I wasn't nervous before but seeing them walking in, my hands are feeling heavy:lol:

I don't know how these players do it. Serena with all her experience couldn't stop the nerves yesterday.
Roger must be nervous knowing it could be his last chance at his age.

Jazz

This all feels very 2015-ish. Everyone hyped after Fed dispatched Murray but turned out he had nothing left for Djokovic.
He's gotta be nervous as hell. Just hides it well.
The underdog so he should just try and chill.

wr8_utd

I wasn't nervous before but seeing them walking in, my hands are feeling heavy:lol:

I don't know how these players do it. Serena with all her experience couldn't stop the nerves yesterday.
Roger must be nervous knowing it could be his last chance at his age.
Feels like I hear this at like one or two slam finals every single year :lol:

Jazz

Feels like I hear this at like one or two slam finals every single year :lol:
It's true. 38 years old in a month.

I think if the Next Gen would step up they would challenge more the top 3. Maybe why he keeps getting these chances.

InfiniteBoredom

He's gotta be nervous as hell. Just hides it well.
The underdog so he should just try and chill.
To be fair due to RBA’s expected uselessness, expectations stand at 0 this time for most of us Fed fans. Had he managed 2 sets then I’d have a sliver of hope right now :lol:

wr8_utd

It's true. 38 years old in a month.

I think if the Next Gen would step up they would challenge more the top 3. Maybe why he keeps getting these chances.
He's going to keep making finals for another year or so. He's still far and above better than anyone else ranked 4 or below.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s a great achievement, but there’s also the caveat about the woman she couldn’t beat getting stabbed by a crazy person with a knife.
Was reading about Seles. Remember watching her play Graff as a kid. She won 8 slams as a teenager? That's insane. And let's be fair, Serena never had someone that good as a competitor either. 8 slams as a teen is absolutely mental.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Federer said he was tired after the Nadal game. Hope he's recovered well.