Tennis 2020

Bojan11

Thiem giving double faults as a gift to Djokovic.

Needs to get a grip of his serve if he wants any chance.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Djokovic is putting lots of pressure on Thiem’s serve everytime while Thiem didn’t look like breaking at all aside from that one game in which he did.

Thiem has to turn this around in the next set or he has no chance.

InfiniteBoredom

Djokovic has pressured Thiem on all but one service game, but Thiem gifted him the set there. A lot of unforced errors and finished on a double fault.
In the same breath, you can also Thiem got gifted a break, no?

That was as dominant a set of tennis as you can get from Djokovic, apart from that one service game.

Rajma

Thiem giving double faults as a gift to Djokovic.

Needs to get a grip of his serve if he wants any chance.
Didn’t think before the game that Thiem’s service game is going to be such a hurdle despite Novak being incredible returner.

Brophs

The One and Only
Thiem’s slice is a nothing shot v Djokovic. It doesn’t cost him a second thought and he has the answer to it from either side.

Bojan11

Djokovic surprisingly gifts Thiem a few points. Thiem needs to break twice you would think to win a set.

TheLiverBird

I think this might finally be the season that people recognise Novak might well be the best tennis player ever

Grand slams
Federer... 20
Nadal...... 19
Novak...... 16
I can see Novak winning 2 or 3 more this year and I can see him winning more next year ... I wouldn't be shocked to see all three on 20 titles in just over a year

Weeks at ATP No1
Federer........310
Sampras.....286
Novak.........275
Lendel........270
Conners..... 268
Nadal..........207
I can envisage Novak getting to No1 and having half a year there to take top spot (I can't envisage Federer getting back there)

Head to head
27 Novak v Federer 23
29 Novak v Nadal 26
16 Federer v Nadal 24
He's ahead against both of them and I can see him maintaining / extending that record

Prize money
Novak $140m
Federer $120m
Nadal $120m
Again he's ahead and or course inflation is a counter argument but for sure he looks like he will retire as the richest player ever and it will take quite some time for somebody to surpass him
Federer's GOAT status is certainly under threat thats is with out question

And I’m saying that as a Federer fan, well I’m a fan of all 3 of course but Feds my favourite

But what you say is doable, I share the same opinion

And should Novak do it, he’s thoroughly deserve that status

But Federer for me, will always be my “favourite” purely for his style of play, regardless to who overtakes him

I like all styles, Novak’s is mightily impressive, it’s aggressive and ferocious, his ferocity and mental strength is probably the best I’ve ever seen in the game

But Federer’s gracefulness especially at his peak, was ballet in the form of tennis, immense strength with utter gracefulness and accuracy

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Federer's GOAT status is certainly under threat thats is with out question

And I’m saying that as a Federer fan, well I’m a fan of all 3 of course but Feds my favourite

But what you say is doable, I share the same opinion

And should Novak do it, he’s thoroughly deserve that status

But Federer for me, will always be my “favourite” purely for his style of play, regardless to who overtakes him

I like all styles, Novak’s is mightily impressive, it’s aggressive and ferocious, his ferocity and mental strength is probably the best I’ve ever seen in the game

But Federer’s gracefulness especially at his peak, was ballet in the form of tennis, immense strength with utter gracefulness and accuracy
I agree with that
Federer is my personal favourite
I think Novak will ultimately have the better stats
I think Nadal will be remembered as the best clay court player and the one who if he didn't have so many injuries had the potential to be the best
It really has been a golden age for mens tennis

InfiniteBoredom

For all the talk about Fed and Djoker, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nadal just continue to win the French until he’s 39/40 and finish on 24/25 Slams.

TheLiverBird

I agree with that
Federer is my personal favourite
I think Novak will ultimately have the better stats
I think Nadal will be remembered as the best clay court player and the one who if he didn't have so many injuries had the potential to be the best
It really has been a golden age for mens tennis
Yep once again agreed

We are soooo lucky

We’ve been waiting for someone to come along and crash the party, but ultimately, we’ve been lucky enough to witness and era where we have not one “ one of the GOAT” but 3 all at the same time

As much as I desperately want new players to take the helm, the day these 3 go will be very sad because there simply still isn’t anyone around remotely close to what these guys have offered

Simply saying there good players coming through doesn’t cut it, the standards set by these three is actually like trying to understand the Universe (slight exaggeration but you get what I mean)

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
This reminds me of the times Wawrinka beat Djokovic. Novak wins first set and looks good, then opponent turns up the power and Djokovic struggles to handle it. Can see an early Thiem break in the 3rd.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
For all the talk about Fed and Djoker, it wouldn’t be surprising if Nadal just continue to win the French until he’s 39/40 and finish on 24/25 Slams.
That made me laugh. It's actually gonna happen you know.

Bojan11

Djokovic breaks.

Wawrinkas backhand was important when he beat Djokovic. Thiems not got it going.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Djokovic head will go for a bit now, more convinced Thiem gets an early break in 3rd.

Bojan11

Don’t know why Djokovic having a go. It was clear to see he wasn’t even close to the time to serve.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is the shot clock violation a hard rule? Or do most umpires just ignore it? I have a feeling Djokovic has never managed to serve on time in his entire career, yet he doesnt get that many.

Bojan11

Is the shot clock violation a hard rule? Or do most umpires just ignore it? I have a feeling Djokovic has never managed to serve on time in his entire career, yet he doesnt get that many.
It’s come in the past year.

Rafa and Djokovic are the only ones who really violate it and get called up on it.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Thiem isn't even playing well, Nole is gifting it away at the moment and I don't know why. Nole played fantastic in the first set and then dropped everything that was working for him so well. Less aggression, less power with his forehand and no more risks at second serve. Weird game.

InfiniteBoredom

His ball bouncing and tactical MTOs make it really hard to take to him. I appreciate that will to win and it’s just exploiting the rules after all but still not something as great a sportsman as him needs to do imo.

Bojan11

Credit to Thiem. After the first four games in the first set, I was thinking Djokovic was picking up where he left off from last years final.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It’s come in the past year.

Rafa and Djokovic are the only ones who really violate it and get called up on it.
Great change if you ask me. Nadal and Djokovic can be so frustratingto watch with their compulsive ball bouncing. Well, and in Nadal's case, hair flicking nose touching hair flicking nose touching routine.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
His ball bouncing and tactical MTOs make it really hard to take to him. I appreciate that will to win and it’s just exploiting the rules after all but still not something as great a sportsman as him needs to do imo.
Yeah, I remember the MTO just before Murray served for the Championship at Wimbledon. That was pathetic.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
2009... Lost to solerling
2015... Retired before match with injury
2016... Lost to Novak
12 titles
It's bloody impressive isn't it ... It's perfectly possible he can win more slams than Federer and yeah given his record at the French you have to think injury permitting it's probable he gets to at least 21

Bojan11

Thiems got a chance here. Needs to take it whilst Djokovics head gone.