Tennis 2020

saivet

In other news

Question marks over whether Nadal, and I imagine whether a few others will play in the US Open. Given the packed schedule, I doubt Nadal and Djokovic will play in both, and at present I think they will both skip the US Open and play Roland Garros.

Regardless who does play, I think it's very unlikely we'll see a man winning both tournament.

Brophs

The One and Only
Question marks over whether Nadal, and I imagine whether a few others will play in the US Open. Given the packed schedule, I doubt Nadal and Djokovic will play in both, and at present I think they will both skip the US Open and play Roland Garros.

Regardless who does play, I think it's very unlikely we'll see a man winning both tournament.
The way it's looking, I think you're right. I was thinking about this the other evening. If Thiem could allow himself to be pragmatic and not get tunnel vision for the clay, he could skip the French and have a really clear crack at the US Open, with a much reduced field and the benefit of quite possibly not having to play any of the big 3. I reckon his chances are better on his second favourite surface, against the B team, than clay and having to potentially beat Nadal and Djokovic back to back.

Bojan11

Wimbledon are scrapping seeding formulas and going with ranking from next year.

Bojan11

Kyrgios and Coric going at it now. Kyrgios was apparently spotted in a club after a match, I don’t know how cases look in his area maybe you could share @InfiniteBoredom.

Nadal and Djokovic surprisingly have bothered entered the Cincy draw. I was expecting both to just skip as Nadal has entered Madrid which starts a day after the US open finishes.

InfiniteBoredom

@Bojan11 he lives in Canberra. It’s Melbourne where I am that is fecked at the moment with hundreds of new cases daily. Other states are ok even though a couple of clusters were also spotted in Sydney (NSW). The club he was spotted in is in Adelaide (South Australia), that whole state has about 5 new cases over the last week.

The chance to catch the virus was fairly low, but not the best action of course, given the shit he gave Djokovic.

saivet

The WTA event in Palermo is going on this week but do wonder what else will go ahead.

Bojan11

That’s good news for US open as means there’s a chance Djokovic and Nadal may now go.

Bojan11

Well Nadal has pulled out. First slam since 1999 no Fed or Nadal. Weird.

saivet

Well Nadal has pulled out. First slam since 1999 no Fed or Nadal. Weird.
Wise decision from Nadal given the tight schedule. If Djokovic and Thiem play (no guarantee) and go deep at the US Open, I think his already good chances at Roland Garros get amplified.

I genuinely don't think any player on the mens side can win both tournaments this year, so makes sense to pick one.

Bojan11

Tennis is back this week.

@saivet @Raoul @InfiniteBoredom @Mrs Smoker who your picks for Cincy and US open?

I am just going to pick the mens as the womens side is decimated with withdrawals.

Going with Medvedev winning Cincy and Thiem to win the US open. The lack of games is going to go against Djokovic. Djokovic isn’t like Fed, where he comes back after a long spell and it’s like nothing has changed. He needs to be playing regularly to get his form back.

Thiem has been practically playing every week in exhibitions and I feel he’s match ready for 5 sets.

saivet

A very difficult one to predict. I think Thiem will win one and Djokovic the other on the men's side. No idea with the ladies but looking forward to it.

Hope Murray beats Tiafoe and plays Zverev, think that could be interesting.

Bojan11

A very difficult one to predict. I think Thiem will win one and Djokovic the other on the men's side. No idea with the ladies but looking forward to it.

Hope Murray beats Tiafoe and plays Zverev, think that could be interesting.
Think this is Thiems best chance to get a grandslam with US Open or French.

Only issue is if he’s overplayed, but he’s a young guy compared to Nadal and Djokovic. Also has a little break between US and Rome as Madrid is cancelled.

If anyone is beating Nadal at the French it’s this year where you can get him cold. Only one tournament to prepare and conditions won’t be the same in Paris late September compared to June.

InfiniteBoredom

I’d still put Djokovic as favourite for the USO tbh, cincy and the earlier rounds should be enough warm up and if he gets into quarter without too much of a fuss he should be ready for a couple of 5 setters.

Fancy Thiem to run Nadal close or even win the French this year.

saivet

Think this is Thiems best chance to get a grandslam with US Open or French.

Only issue is if he’s overplayed, but he’s a young guy compared to Nadal and Djokovic. Also has a little break between US and Rome as Madrid is cancelled.

If anyone is beating Nadal at the French it’s this year where you can get him cold. Only one tournament to prepare and conditions won’t be the same in Paris late September compared to June.
There was some talk that Kitzbuhel may get moved back to when Madrid was scheduled and if that's the case, Thiem will be there in any circumstances.

We'll see with the tournaments though, if there is a time for someone to break through, these circumstance may help.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Would be nice if Thiem or Zverev,...or really anyone else save for Đoković/Nadal win the remaining slams. No better time for that as well.

But Novak and Rafael will win them, as usual.

Bojan11

Zverev had the chance to finish the match vs Murray in the third set and has 3 double faults. His second serve is awful.

Bojan11

Murray beats Zverev.

Zverev had a meltdown with his serve. But credit to Murray he deserved it.

saivet

Well played Murray. Also watched Serena's match earlier and she looked very rusty but managed to squeeze out the win.

Thiem lost 6-2, 6-1 to Krajinovic :confused:

Bojan11

Surprised at Thiem losing.

I am expecting shocks as lots of players haven’t played for a while so going to be rusty. Then there will be nerves closing out a game, which Zverev had when he was 5-4 in the third.

Did not expect the shock to come with Thiem. He’s been playing non stop.

saivet

Didn't watch it but RBA beat Medvedev, so was hoping to see Medvedev Djokovic semi final. I hope Tsitsipas can make the final as that would be an interesting watch.

May watch Konta vs Sakkari tonight if it doesn't start too late tonight.

saivet

I'd be shocked if Djokovic doesn't win the tournament. A SF of Tsitsipas and a final of Medvedev or Thiem would be tricky and potentially interesting matches, but I don't have much faith for them to make it there.

Hope we get to see a Djokovic vs Tsitsipas final in the Cinci/New York final.

Bojan11

Sad news. Enjoyed listening to David on commentary.

saivet

Tough win for Djokovic but he looked be struggling with his neck quite a bit and looked like he was a bit ill.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
35th Masters win for Djokovic and the second golden masters.

Needs to fix his serve at the US Open though

saivet

Impressive record, but not been particularly impressed with Novak this week.

His draw is decent enough that I think he's a certainty to at least make the SFs of the US Open playing like this, but if the draw holds up I think he may struggle in the semis or final.

Brophs

The One and Only

Not a story everyone will be interested in, but it is quite a strange one. It sort of feels like a story where nobody involved is explicitly saying what they think and are instead sort of dancing around it with vague suggestions of being united and furthering the interests of the people involved.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Djokovic is such a weird character , this new union thing came up because ATP decided to eliminate a player from the bubble as his physical trainer had tested positive. Other players didn't agree with this move which seems absolutely crazy in the current climate

saivet

I don't have much of a view on it, but I think it just highlights even more how messy the structure of tennis is. Multiple organisations and now a potential union with varying priorities.

Brophs

The One and Only

Brophs

The One and Only
Cracking win for Cam Norrie. Schwartzman can cause problems for good players. Jack Sock being a set from victory in a slam is an odd look.

Brophs

The One and Only
Also, he might not be what he was, but getting Kevin Anderson in R1 is an absolute dog of a draw. I expect Zverev will come through but he'll inevitably make heavy weather of it.

saivet

Murray into a 5th set having been 2 sets down to Nishioka. Murray has been returning pretty poorly all match.