Tennis 2020

Bojan11

I swear though if Federer pulls out before the semi and Nadal makes the final then someone check on @wr8_utd. His hate for Fed will intensify even further.

Would add even more insult to already tough section of the draw if Fed doesn’t play and Djokovic gets more rest, which he doesn’t need when he’s so good at the AO.

Skills

Snitch
How many times has Djokovic beaten both Nadal and Federer on route to a GS? I can only remember 2011 US Open off the top of my head

InfiniteBoredom

I swear though if Federer pulls out before the semi and Nadal makes the final then someone check on @wr8_utd. His hate for Fed will intensify even further.

Would add even more insult to already tough section of the draw if Fed doesn’t play and Djokovic gets more rest, which he doesn’t need when he’s so good at the AO.
I mean, Nadal has lost like what, 13,14 straight sets on hard court vs Djokovic?

At least you guys still have the French to look forward to. I still occasionally have nightmares remembering last year Wimby.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just now leaving for work. No way was I going to leave that match. Rogie out here trying to give folks heart failure. What an escape from Rog. Unbelievable.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Dont think he will win semi against either opponent but still always a great watch to see him try.

saivet

How many times has Djokovic beaten both Nadal and Federer on route to a GS? I can only remember 2011 US Open off the top of my head
That's the only time I believe. Remember hearing Nadal has beat Federer and Djokovic once on route to a GS too at the French Open in 2008. I don't think Federer has beat the two of them in the same slam before.

InfiniteBoredom

Dont think he will win semi against either opponent but still always a great watch to see him try.
If his back doesn’t kill him then he has a chance against Raonic, provided the upcoming match goes 4 hours+. He actually doesn’t do badly against Raonic if he has a functional forehand.

Against Djokovic though it can get ugly. 90 min match that still feels like a slow death kind of ugly.

Bojan11

I mean, Nadal has lost like what, 13,14 straight sets on hard court vs Djokovic?

At least you guys still have the French to look forward to. I still occasionally have nightmares remembering last year Wimby.
Nadal will eventually figure it out. Let’s not forget a lot of those sets were played in Nadals average years between 14 and 15. If Nadal got his hands on Djokovic in 17 when Djokovic was struggling it could have been different mentally for Nadal. Djokovic during that time was losing to players outside the top 100 on hard courts.

Nadal needs to use his forehand down the line if he wants to beat Djokovic. In the last set in the ATP cup he finally realised it but was too late.

Wawrinka and Thiem are not players Djokovic would want to play either. Wawrinka on his day can just destroy Djokovic if he turns up. Thiem is a tricky player especially if he has momentum.

But the last thing all these players need is Djokovic getting a walk over on his dominant slam.

Bojan11

If his back doesn’t kill him then he has a chance against Raonic, provided the upcoming match goes 4 hours+. He actually doesn’t do badly against Raonic if he has a functional forehand.

Against Djokovic though it can get ugly. 90 min match that still feels like a slow death kind of ugly.
Raonic will beat him if he is injured. When he had a bad back last time at Wimbledon against Raonic he was beaten.

But Raonic beating Djokovic first would be like Soderling beating Nadal at the French. One of the biggest shock in history. He is 9-0 against Djokovic and coming back from injury to take three sets is going to be brutal.

Also his biggest strength plays into Djokovics biggest strength.

InfiniteBoredom

For Raonic to beat Djokovic the latter has to have a really underwhelming day on his serve like last Wimby final while returning well below his usual %.

So, yeah, not happening.

wr8_utd

:'(
I can easily accept Novak winning the AO. The main aim has to be to get to Paris with the Slam gap at a maximum of 1.

wr8_utd

I think a lot of people are really underestimating Federer vs Djokovic. He beat him easily at the O2 and also almost won at Wimbledon. It's going to be anything but straightforward for Novak. As for the injury, I'm sure it'll be fine with 48 hours of rest.

Bojan11

I think a lot of people are really underestimating Federer vs Djokovic. He beat him easily at the O2 and also almost won at Wimbledon. It's going to be anything but straightforward for Novak. As for the injury, I'm sure it'll be fine with 48 hours of rest.
This is Djokovics most dominant slam. Djokovic was poor post Wimbledon and his shoulder was bothering him. But he looks like he has returned to form.

InfiniteBoredom

Their last three matches have all been really close, but Fed was actually in some sort of form in those occasions.

He got no warm up before this Slam, already played 2 5 setters, carrying an injury (could be 2, it’s the leg/groin today, we never know if the back can flare up). I truly think if they meet the match will be over under 2 hours.

Bojan11

Not really a good start for Raonic. Struggling on first serves.

wr8_utd

Their last three matches have all been really close, but Fed was actually in some sort of form in those occasions.

He got no warm up before this Slam, already played 2 5 setters, carrying an injury (could be 2, it’s the leg/groin today, we never know if the back can flare up). I truly think if they meet the match will be over under 2 hours.
To be honest he wasn't in form even in their Wimbledon final. He'd only had the one good match vs Nadal but was really poor before that.
Even at the O2, he lost to Thiem and then went on and absolutely destroyed Djokovic.

I agree Djokovic will be a huge favorite but I'm nkt going to rule out Federer. If the weather conditions are as bad as expected and they go with a closed roof, you just never know. I'd back Federer to Atleast win a set.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This will be over in three. Those 1 shot pony's like Raonic need to die out. What is it with North Americans anyway. Do they just practise serving in their acadamies?

Bojan11

To be honest he wasn't in form even in their Wimbledon final. He'd only had the one good match vs Nadal but was really poor before that.
Even at the O2, he lost to Thiem and then went on and absolutely destroyed Djokovic.

I agree Djokovic will be a huge favorite but I'm nkt going to rule out Federer. If the weather conditions are as bad as expected and they go with a closed roof, you just never know. I'd back Federer to Atleast win a set.
Last time Fed beat Djokovic in a slam was 2012. In a hard court slam we going back all the way back to 2009.

Feds in the last decade has beaten Djokovic in best of threes. But best of fives he struggles physically.

Out of the guys remaining in the draw, I would put Wawrinka as the favourite to beat Djokovic but that depends on what Wawrinka shows up on the day. Would put Thiem second because he has a positive record against Djokovic and has had the experience of beating Djokovic at slams twice albeit it’s his best surface but Djokovic isn’t a slouch on clay. Then would be Nadal, Zverev and Federer in that order. Federer out of all the guys cannot compete physically as Djokovic will make it a physical match.

InfiniteBoredom

Raonic won’t get any better chances than that tonight. He has to seize on those fleeting break points to have any chance of drawing out the match, because Djokovic will break him.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
It's incredible that Federer is still progressing so far in he major opens at his age.
Considering he has not played a single seed in this tournament and the fact he just played a player ranked 100 in the QFs who blew 7 match points, it's not really that incredible.

Bole Top

Djoko wasted his chances there, but to even return those balls from Raonic is incredible. monstrous serve.

Bojan11

Raionic needs this first set badly for this to be a contest. You can tell mentally he does not believe.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Djokovic just isn't taking his chances at all.
Had a feeling since Raonic made the last 16 that he was going to beat Djokovic this week or at least make it a long match. Novak doing his usual blowing BP chances, his break point % must be really weak, seems to take 10+ to actually break often.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
FINALLY on the 9th break point, he takes it and wins the set.

Bojan11

Djokovic has been relentless despite the one break.

Raionic is struggling far too much on serve and has had no easy service game.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone else a bit afraid that Djokovic will completely maul Federer in the semis?

Nadal vs Thiem should be a good one tomorrow.

Rajma

Djokovic could save himself a lot of bother if only he would be slightly more aggressive on BPs.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Anyone else a bit afraid that Djokovic will completely maul Federer in the semis?

I hope he does, but don't think it will be as easy as many are suggesting.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I think Federer will struggle big time but I'm not afraid/concerned. Shit happens. He's in poor form - on the court and it appears, physically. Would be a shocking outcome to see him win given his age, form and the long matches he's played.

Bojan11

Too easy.

The Raionic, Nishikori and Dimitrov era are too scarred by Djokovic.