Tennis 2021

Brophs

The One and Only
Emmazing

What a match for a 2 setter

both these girls have absolute nerves of steel too, this was an amazing match to witness

Can’t believe what Emma has done tbh, 10 matches without losing a set!! Get out of here!!

she’s got some belting legs on her too!!
Well sai—

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The youngest woman to win the US Open was 16.

16 years, 270 days - Tracy Austin (1979)
17 years, 350 days - Serena Williams (1999)
18 years, 302 days - Emma Raducanu (2021)
Thought one of the Williams sisters would have been in there.

Don't think I've heard of Tracy Austin though.

Fts 74

Astonishing performance.

The level she's played at throughout this tournament has been phenomenal and she's only 18 years old!.The sky is the limit for her she could go on and win multiple grand slams.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say its arguably the greatest sporting achievement ever by a British sportsperson to come through qualifying and win it without dropping a set is incredible.

LDUred

She did well at Wimbledon, and surprised a lot of people even by getting to the last sixteen, but her level at the US Open has been two or three above that. It's the improvement that she has made in between SW19 and the US Open which is the staggering thing, not so much her ranking on winning the US.

The strength of her serve and the pace on her groundstrokes, particularly off the backhand wing, have been two changes overall in her game that have helped her to easier points. I guess it was apt for her to take the win with an ace because her serve has won her quite a few cheap points and given her respite.

Seriously though, a bewildering achievement from Emma Raducanu. She didn't even go to a tie-break, never mind lose a set.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
My dads just texted me asking if that’s the first time they’ve played a Slam without line judges.

I didn’t even realise until he said that.… and he’s only got sight in one eye.
Might have been the case in another recent slam too, but yeah, as someone who hadn't watched tennis in a really long time before tonight I didn't really notice.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/us-open-that-voice-yelling-out-comes-computer-2021-09-03/

Makes sense why there weren't any challenges and only really one instance of the Hawk Eye replay being shown from what I remember as they know it's all accurate.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Might have been the case in another recent slam too, but yeah, as someone who hadn't watched tennis in a really long time before tonight I didn't really notice.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/us-open-that-voice-yelling-out-comes-computer-2021-09-03/

Makes sense why there weren't any challenges and only really one instance of the Hawk Eye replay being shown from what I remember as they know it's all accurate.
Spooky, I googled it and picked exact same Reuters story.

I definitely didn’t realise computers were calling “out”.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought it was a great final between too incredibly and gutsy ball strikers. Odd DF aside it was a very high level in general play.

Felt from the 4th round onwards Raducanu was going to win it (reminded me of when Sharapova won Wimbledon aged 18) but Fernandez very good player herself and fought to the end. Won't be the last slam final for either unless injuries hit.

Hype for Raducanu for next Wimbledon is going to be off the scale now especially with Murray in last stages of his career now.

Quite a good period for Womens Tennis coming up I think with those and then the established but still young contenders like Kenin, Gauff and Osaka. Serena Williams currently seems a bit of an afterthought but may have one more good tournament left in her aswell.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Ah, I wondered what happened to challenges, but never quite got round to googling it.
Odd they're computer voices- they mix them up at least to sound real.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
What a insane achievement by Raducanu. Not only is this the greatest ever single achievement in tennis by an absolute country mile male or female, it’s one of the greatest sporting achievements ever. She had not even played any form of competitive tennis for 18 months until this summer. Take a bow Emma Raducanu.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Did you know Emma Raducanu still hasn’t played a 3 set match on tour? This is just insane, it’s not supposed to happen this way.

croadyman

Yes I know she won't win as many slams as Novak but at times she matched his ability to get balls from all over the place

Droid_Repairs

Spooky, I googled it and picked exact same Reuters story.

I definitely didn’t realise computers were calling “out”.
I kinda welcome it, I feel like you have to make a choice - line judges calling the ball out, and accept that it's imperfect but the errors are just part of the game, or 100% technology, where every 'out' is perfect and there is no need for contesting.

I'm happy with one or the other.

GueRed

Raducanu and Fernandez are a credit to themselves and tennis.

For me they breathed a new life to the sport.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Thought one of the Williams sisters would have been in there.

Don't think I've heard of Tracy Austin though.
Williams won against hingis i think who was 18 at the time?

Crazy to think hingis had won the Wimbledon doubles at 15... and won the Australian singles at 16 years and 3 months
She was ranked no1 in the world at 16... crazy how young she was.

Had it not been for injuries her and Serena could have been an incredible rivalry

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fecks sake, I did the same. Have no answers. You may be stuck with the wrong tag line.
I learned that let is short for filet which is French for net which confuses me, because I thought filet was a way to prepare meat or fish.