Tennis 2021

Brophs

The One and Only
I wonder was that Serena’s last really big chance? It’s hard to see her doing it at the French and the grass might be tricky for her if the movement doesn’t hold up. She’s in the same spot as Federer now. The top level is good but there are others who are better and you can’t trust it to hold up for a fortnight.

Hopefully this is the year we see Osaka do something at the French or Wimbledon.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Those all or nothing hard hitters are right op Djokovic' alley. You might hit a few nice winners, but his consistency slowly destroys you.

I keep thinking, ok this slam is the moment the new kids will dethrone the old guard but meh.

saivet

Those all or nothing hard hitters are right op Djokovic' alley. You might hit a few nice winners, but his consistency slowly destroys you.

I keep thinking, ok this slam is the moment the new kids will dethrone the old guard but meh.
Medvedev is capable of beating Djokovic I think. Tsitsipas probably is too but I'd be worried about him physically and how he'd cope with the pressure.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Medvedev is capable of beating Djokovic I think. Tsitsipas probably is too but I'd be worried about him physically and how he'd cope with the pressure.
I dunno, I see Medvedev melting down against his consistency wall. I really hope Medvedev wins though. I love nutters.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I miss Robin Soderling who would loudly celebrate these net fumbling points.

kidbob

Novak really needs a 3 grand slam year this year. Assuming Rafa wins the French then that will put Novak within touching distance of the overall slam leader with winning a couple more in Aus or the US. Would be an incredible achievement considering he has had to contend with Rafa and Roger for basically his entire career, with a very strong Murray for quite a bit too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Didn't expect Nadal to lose the quarter final. But feck it, Djokovic will win another Aus open. Will move to to 18 then. Sigh.

Ladron de redcafe

I wonder was that Serena’s last really big chance? It’s hard to see her doing it at the French and the grass might be tricky for her if the movement doesn’t hold up. She’s in the same spot as Federer now. The top level is good but there are others who are better and you can’t trust it to hold up for a fortnight.

Hopefully this is the year we see Osaka do something at the French or Wimbledon.
It's going to be difficult. As you mentioned, her top level is only about the 4th or 5th highest level in the WTA now. If the likes of Osaka are on their games, she's going to find it difficult to progress.

Ladron de redcafe

Didn't expect Nadal to lose the quarter final. But feck it, Djokovic will win another Aus open. Will move to to 18 then. Sigh.
Nadal should win the French which would put him back up by 3 slams. I don't see Djokovic closing the gap unless he takes 2 slams at the very least, this year.

saivet

Nadal should win the French which would put him back up by 3 slams. I don't see Djokovic closing the gap unless he takes 2 slams at the very least, this year.
At Wimbledon Novak and even Roger (assuming he's fit) will have a great chance. For the younger players (+Thiem) it seems like grass is their worst surface.

amolbhatia50k

I'm more concerned about Federer :lol: but him losing his spot is pretty much a done deal

Ladron de redcafe

At Wimbledon Novak and even Roger (assuming he's fit) will have a great chance. For the younger players (+Thiem) it seems like grass is their worst surface.
I agree. Not because he's a young gen who doesn't have the mentality to win a slam (he's already proved that he can stick with the top 3 at times) but because it doesn't suit his game. The bounce is too low for him to wind up his backhand. Wimbledon has got to be a difficult slam for him.

I'm more concerned about Federer :lol: but him losing his spot is pretty much a done deal
Unfortunately, it appears that you're right. He had a few pivotal matches which would have swung that count towards him. 40-25 at Wimbledon 2019 was a travesty. As was the donated slam final against Del Potro the 2009 US open. Lots of opportunities, and a lot of them were on a plate. 2014 US open is another that comes to mind. Cilic and Nishokori back to back is not a difficult semi/final combination.

amolbhatia50k

I agree. Not because he's a young gen who doesn't have the mentality to win a slam (he's already proved that he can stick with the top 3 at times) but because it doesn't suit his game. The bounce is too low for him to wind up his backhand. Wimbledon has got to be a difficult slam for him.

Unfortunately, it appears that you're right. He had a few pivotal matches which would have swung that count towards him. 40-25 at Wimbledon 2019 was a travesty. As was the donated slam final against Del Potro the 2009 US open. Lots of opportunities, and a lot of them were on a plate. 2014 US open is another that comes to mind. Cilic and Nishokori back to back is not a difficult semi/final combination.
Don't remind me of 2019. It ruins me :(

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Medvedev has looked the strongest player so far in the tournament. If I don`t jinx Tsitspas opponent again, Djokovic will be the favorite in the final but I could well see Medvedev win it all.

saivet

Medvedev has been brilliant. I can't see a comeback from Tsitsipas like against Nadal again.

saivet

Medvedev has looked the strongest player so far in the tournament. If I don`t jinx Tsitspas opponent again, Djokovic will be the favorite in the final but I could well see Medvedev win it all.
Yeah Djokovic is the favorite due to history but Medvedev is a huge threat. I actually think Medvedev is the final opponent Djokovic would have least wanted.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I dunno, as much as I hope it, I dont see Medvedev beating Djokovic. Though I think Djokovic, Nadal and Federer should all retire on 20 slams.

saivet

Shitty crowd.
Yeah poor crowd. I head someone shout double fault at one point just before Medvedev served in the opening two sets.

Could get interesting now with Tsitsipas back on serve..

Brophs

The One and Only
French Open Crowd: We are the worst crowd in world sport
Aussie crowd tonight: Hold my beer

Brophs

The One and Only
This is basically Medvedev’s dream match: opponent he doesn’t like; hostile crowd; slowing conditions on a hard court. He’s nails.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hahaha he might as well have given the crowd the finger. I like Medvedev more and more :lol:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Djokovic will be considered favourite because he's won 8/8 finals here but Medvedev is playing much better tennis than Djokovic, should be a great final either way

wr8_utd

:'(
Yup. Not at surprised by Meds level here and this is why I felt he can win the whole thing. He's in sensational form.

saivet

In his run, Medvedev has 11 top 10 wins too, including one against Djokovic in the ATP finals.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Read this thread and that he is a bit of a nutter but comes across really well in the on court interview and the Eurosport interview.

Kag

First I’ve really watched some tennis since Murray’s back fell to pieces. This Medvedev fella looks like the real deal.

Are these youngins actually mentally up to it this time, unlike the last couple of ‘generations’? Tennis has a bit of an issue if the likes of Djokovic and Nadal are still cleaning up Slams in 2021, so you’d hope so.

Brophs

The One and Only
Djokovic will be considered favourite because he's won 8/8 finals here but Medvedev is playing much better tennis than Djokovic, should be a great final either way
Yeah, but in a few of the finals he’s won in recent years he’s been the worse player overall but the better player at all the moments that really count. Federer at Wimbledon in 2019 is the best example of that. I think he can win by playing way below his best and that’s a massive issue for the rest of the field.

MattofManchester

So Medvedev becomes World No. 3 now. No.2 if he wins AO.

Throws up a plot twist for Nadal come RG, if this AO is anything to go by.

saivet

So Medvedev becomes World No. 3 now. No.2 if he wins AO.

Throws up a plot twist for Nadal come RG, if this AO is anything to go by.
How so? If he's the second seed he may draw Thiem (and not Djokovic) in the SF. If he's the third seed he may draw Djokovic in the SF (and not Thiem). I find it difficult to see anyone one other than those 3 winning RG, and Nadal will still be favorite. If any think those seeds would be worse for Novak as he'd likely have to beat Nadal and Thiem back to back to win it.

RooneyLegend

How so? If he's the second seed he may draw Thiem (and not Djokovic) in the SF. If he's the third seed he may draw Djokovic in the SF (and not Thiem). I find it difficult to see anyone one other than those 3 winning RG, and Nadal will still be favorite. If any think those seeds would be worse for Novak as he'd likely have to beat Nadal and Thiem back to back to win it.
Nadal has broken everyones will to take him on at the French, if hes fit and ready to go, hes winning it whatever the draw.

Bojan11

Yeah, last year was the best chance to beat Nadal at the French. Lack of warm up tournaments, he had not played much for 6 months and obviously the conditions did not favour him.

Thiem will still be a big challenge, as winning the USO and then going for the French was too much for him.