Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

He was refused a medical exemption, if anyone would have ample reason to be raging over that, it would be him.

Think his tweet speaks volumes the opposite way tbh
If you're referring to Sandgren, he didn't apply for one.
Name them and source please.
There are no names but a vague mention from Tennis Australia

Believe the number also includes support staff, so not sure on the split between player and those part of a players team.

Zen

You have google, feel free to search it. A handful were given a ME.
Correct - I'm getting nothing but Djokovic and some sites claiming 'some'.

But the guy you quoted is saying an anti-vaxxer shouldn't get there, regardless of exemption and he's correct imo. It undermines Australia's strictness, giving exemption to players with genuine conditions who would possibly otherwise take the jab is a different case. He, Kyrie and Rodgers are anti-vax out of choice almost certainly and not necessity, otherwise we'd know by now.

Djokovic made his stance public, he buried himself. He probably had no option given his height in the sporting world.

wr8_utd

:'(
Apparently if he has had covid in last 6 months then that qualifies as an exemption per the Oz rules for entry. Could be he does not want to reveal a repeat covid infection to avoid questions over not getting vaccinated again. If he has had covid in last 6 months, the exemption would be valid.
If he does then a COVID report that proves it should be easy to produce and he should be allowed into the country.

Rooney24

i think what these clips show is that you really get the feeling the other players really detest him.

And not because they are jealous of his success as some would probably claim but simply because they think hes a prick.

Brophs

The One and Only
Still feels to me like politicking. This way they’ll feel like they’ve saved face somewhat.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Why should he be raging?

He/his team got their application wrong (hence the rejection).
I was talking about Tennys Sandgren.

However as pointed out by @saivet he never applied for one as he didn't fit the criteria.

Although point still stands to an extent that he could/should be annoyed he can't play but another unvaccinated player can.

ExoduS

As a huge fan of Novak this is hard haha. Too much suspense. Should have just got jabbed and saved himself and rest of the fans a lot of nerves. This is as suspensful as that Djokovic - Federer final in 2019.

saivet

Even though I don't agree with the way Djokovic has approached it, unless he's fabricated something (which I doubt), surely they shouldn't him send him home.

Given the independent panel reviews, they could have rejected his exemption before he flew to Australia.

Just seems like backtracking from the Australian officials if they now reject his entry.

Djokovic started it but it's become a soap opera.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Technically he's already entered Australia. :D

Shambles this was not all sorted before he boarded the plane to Australia but then again I've never applied for a visa but assumed it would be rubber stamped before even travelling to a particular country.

Football payers have not travelled to matches due to visa issues.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Technically he's already entered Australia. :D

Shambles this was not all sorted before he boarded the plane to Australia but then again I've never applied for a visa but assumed it would be rubber stamped before even travelling to a particular country.

Football payers have not travelled to matches due to visa issues.
My missus spent half a night being detained in a tiny room (while 6 months pregnant) on a business trip to New York because of a visa issue. I think they’re typically only picked up on arrival at your destination.

saivet

Wonder how the person who submitted his visa application is feeling right now.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
”… his father Srdjan Djokovic has issued an urgent statement to the Australian government, asking them to free his son.

'I have no idea what's going on, they're holding my son captive for five hours,' he said. 'This is not a fight for the libertarian world, this is not just a fight for Novak, but a fight for the whole world!' he said.

'If they don't let him go in half an hour, we will gather on the street, this is a fight for everybody’ “

wr8_utd

I'm not sure immigration officials will be very happy with Novak's dad issuing threats.

Rajma

Even though I don't agree with the way Djokovic has approached it, unless he's fabricated something (which I doubt), surely they shouldn't him send him home.

Given the independent panel reviews, they could have rejected his exemption before he flew to Australia.

Just seems like backtracking from the Australian officials if they now reject his entry.

Djokovic started it but it's become a soap opera.
That’s my take as well, basically. At this stage of the pandemic I simply cannot understand the outrage. I just think once the vaccines (double jabbed) lost their ability to prevent infection to the degree we have now with omicron, where it’s essentially only good enough to lessen your symptoms and barely reduces transmission, it doesn’t make any sense to get worked up by super fit and rich athlete not wanting to get vaccinated who won’t be an issue to your public healthcare system (which we rightly are focusing on).

ExoduS

This has to be the toughest first round match Novak had to face at Australian Open in his career (apart from that beat down by Safin back in 2006).

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This has to be the toughest first round match Novak had to face at Australian Open in his career (apart from that beat down by Safin back in 2006).
There’s a match thread on Reddit of Novax v border patrol :lol:

wr8_utd

Toughest opponent Djokovic has faced in Australia since Nadal in 2012.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That’s my take as well, basically. At this stage of the pandemic I simply cannot understand the outrage. I just think once the vaccines (double jabbed) lost their ability to prevent infection to the degree we have now with omicron, where it’s essentially only good enough to lessen your symptoms and barely reduces transmission, it doesn’t make any sense to get worked up by super fit and rich athlete not wanting to get vaccinated who won’t be an issue to your public healthcare system (which we rightly are focusing on).
You are still much more likely to pass it on if you are unvaccinated but I do somewhat agree that him being unvaxxed is not much of a danger to other people. The main issue here is he should have never been allowed a medical exemption without a solid reason, which I can’t really think of what that reason could be other than him simply being openly anti-vax, when you cannot normally enter Australia without vaccine. Being a famous athlete should not be a factor.

wr8_utd

Novak reportedly failed to provide enough proof that he had a legitimate medical condition and has therefore been asked to go back. Looks like his lawyers will appeal the decision.

Brophs

The One and Only
-I’ll get the best lawyers in the world here on the next flight
-Are they vaxxed?
-……..I’ll get the third best lawyers in the world here on the next flight”

ExoduS

I wonder if Australia sent back the money Novak sent them during the fire that happened 2 years ago.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Stupid of him now to fight this. This is a political and public issue now in Oz. He won't be able to force his way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.