Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fts 74

If he had any sense he'd either just turn around and go home or explain the reason behind his exemption.It could be that he had covid recently which is allowable under the rules so he's hardly giving out sensitive information.

He really doesn't help himself at times and if he does compete he's in for a rough ride I think.

Rajma

Imo he should just leave seemingly as they’re now playing politics here, AO will forever be tarnished and Australia will take a huge reputational hit. The endless lockdowns seems to have impacted any rational thinking of the Australians.

Fts 74

Imo he should just leave seemingly as they’re now playing politics here, AO will forever be tarnished and Australia will take a huge reputational hit. The endless lockdowns seems to have impacted any rational thinking of the Australians.
There has been a huge backlash what do you expect them to do roll out the red carpet?

Not sure the AO will be forever tarnished that's a bit of a stretch unless your suggesting Novak is bigger than the tournament although in his own head he might be.

massi83

:lol:

Rooney24

Djokovic denied entry to Australia :lol:

seems his team fecked his visa application up.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Really? Hahahaha.

I wonder if this would have happened if he didn’t make a gloating post about his medical exemption?

Last edited:

MattofManchester

I think Djokovic is hated because of the message he is trying to send and that message is that vaccines should be a personal choice
A personal choice that affects not just one person, but the people you come into contact with.
He is a notable public figure with an anti-vax stance, whose opinion goes a long way towards enabling and validating conspiracy theorists and nutbags who refuse to acknowledge the efficacy of the vaccine.

Honestly, all these arguments about fecking vaccines are tiring. You put worse shit into your body every day but I don't see anyone complaining.

It is also AU government's policy. As a foreigner, if you don't like it, then simply don't go there.
Excercising your public power to make an exception for yourself is narcissistic and in poor taste.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm sure a visa issue will get sorted. Would love it if he gets to play but goes out early.

Also, the nickname Novaxx is brilliant :lol: He should always be referred to as that from hereon.

saivet

I'm sure a visa issue will get sorted. Would love it if he gets to play but goes out early.

Also, the nickname Novaxx is brilliant :lol: He should always be referred to as that from hereon.
It's perfect ain't it :lol:

saivet

If it's just a visa issue, surely they will be able to solve it?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Good. I hope they send the goat back to the sheep in Serbia.

wr8_utd

:'(
If it's just a visa issue, surely they will be able to solve it?
There's a lot more to it now. Even the Federal Government weighed in and said it could overrule the decision? I highly doubt Novak had Covid in the last 6 months so he's really going to have to provide a valid medical exemption. The backlash to this has been furious and I think Border Control/the Government could deny him permission to play even if the visa is eventually sorted. Also, his dad just said that Novak is in isolation and not yet allowed to leave the airport. Going to be an interesting day or two here.

ExoduS

This is called misdirected criticism. Novak is not the reason this guy/girl missed such a tragic family events, it's the draconian rules.
For now, we know that Nole followed the rules and got the exemption based on the written rules. Yes, it is true that he does not want to get vaccinated. In my view
A personal choice that affects not just one person, but the people you come into contact with.
He is a notable public figure with an anti-vax stance, whose opinion goes a long way towards enabling and validating conspiracy theorists and nutbags who refuse to acknowledge the efficacy of the vaccine.

Honestly, all these arguments about fecking vaccines are tiring. You put worse shit into your body every day but I don't see anyone complaining.

It is also AU government's policy. As a foreigner, if you don't like it, then simply don't go there.
Excercising your public power to make an exception for yourself is narcissistic and in poor taste.

I do for sure put worse things in my body than a vaccine so that is why I'm vaccinated. Professional athletes on another hand are freaks. Likes of Novak and Brady especially .

I do disagree with Novak stance on the vaccine but I respect his choice not to get one if he doesn't wish to get one.

The whole thing is a bit complicated as I'm failing to understand what is the point of exemptions if they are going to be questioned ? Who actually needs them then ? I see his asthma exemption is a questioned here, but why have these loopholes and then be angry when exploited ?

Correct action by Novak would be not to travel to Australia. He brought too much scrutiny on himself. Terrible move by him and whoever is advising him how to interact with the public.

saivet

There's a lot more to it now. Even the Federal Government weighed in and said it could overrule the decision? I highly doubt Novak had Covid in the last 6 months so he's really going to have to provide a valid medical exemption. The backlash to this has been furious and I think Border Control/the Government could deny him permission to play even if the visa is eventually sorted. Also, his dad just said that Novak is in isolation and not yet allowed to leave the airport. Going to be an interesting day or two here.
You'd think we would have known about it but it's entirely possible he had Covid in the last 6 months, though given he played Wimbledon, the Olympics, US Open, Paris, ATP Finals and the Davis Cup the window is pretty small. Regardless, I wouldn't blame him for utilising that reason even it isn't the actual reason for him not taking the vaccine.

Rajma

There has been a huge backlash what do you expect them to do roll out the red carpet?

Not sure the AO will be forever tarnished that's a bit of a stretch unless your suggesting Novak is bigger than the tournament although in his own head he might be.
I think he should get vaccinated myself (though being a freak athlete and having had asymptomatic covid already I don’t think I’m in the position to weight in on his risk/benefit analysis) but it doesn’t change the fact that he was approved an exemption and being turned at the border because of politics is not a great look. You might laugh but reputation will be definitely be hit amongst tennis players and in elite athlete circles. Even worse to save face they’re spreading lies now about dodgy application through the media.

Last edited:

massi83

I think he should get vaccinated myself (though being a freak athlete and having had asymptomatic covid already I don’t think I’m in the position to weight in on his risk/benefit analysis) but it doesn’t change the fact that he was approved an exemption and being turned at the border because of politics is not a great look. You might laugh but reputation will be definitely be hit amongst tennis players and in elite athlete circles. Even worse to save face they’re spreading lies now about dodgy application through the media.
:lol: :lol: oh behave, nobody gives a shit what that redneck thinks.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This is called misdirected criticism. Novak is not the reason this guy/girl missed such a tragic family events, it's the draconian rules.
For now, we know that Nole followed the rules and got the exemption based on the written rules. Yes, it is true that he does not want to get vaccinated. In my view

I do for sure put worse things in my body than a vaccine so that is why I'm vaccinated. Professional athletes on another hand are freaks. Likes of Novak and Brady especially .

I do disagree with Novak stance on the vaccine but I respect his choice not to get one if he doesn't wish to get one.

The whole thing is a bit complicated as I'm failing to understand what is the point of exemptions if they are going to be questioned ? Who actually needs them then ? I see his asthma exemption is a questioned here, but why have these loopholes and then be angry when exploited ?

Correct action by Novak would be not to travel to Australia. He brought too much scrutiny on himself. Terrible move by him and whoever is advising him how to interact with the public.
We’ll good ol’ Tommy B is vaccinated and if he can put it in him and still perform at his level at 44, this is a bullshit line of thought for Novak.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I don't think the tweeter is misdirected at all. You could say he should put as much/more blame on the Australian authorities but Djokovic (or Nole to you) asked for an exemption and hides behind privacy and loopholes to enter a country that's got a rising number of cases... to play a sport? Deserves criticism I think.

You say professional athletes are maybe somehow different and list... two... Djokovic and Brady. I was sure Brady confirmed he was vaccinated early last year. As are lots of NFL athletes as can be worked out from how many days they have to miss when they test +ve.

The vast majority of most sportspersons appear to be vaccinated. I don't think it's got anything to do with being peak athletes (it'd be the opposite surely?). Apart from minority who have a very specific medical condition where a vaccine could lead to high risks. I don't think that includes some form of asthma unless he has an amazingly rare form that allows him to be a "peak athletes" but is severe enough to need a medical exemption... which he/his team mucked up. As said in previous posts (incl me), most medical advice says that people with asthmatic symptoms (also incl me) should take the vaccine as the unproven, theoretical risk is outweighed by the benefits.

Also, as others have said, his history of comments re Covid don't gain him any flex/sympathy ... they just suggest it's purely down to his view on Covid vaccinations. He's welcome to it.

ExoduS

I don't think the tweeter is misdirected at all. You could say he should put as much/more blame on the Australian authorities but Djokovic (or Nole to you) asked for an exemption and hides behind privacy and loopholes to enter a country that's got a rising number of cases... to play a sport? Deserves criticism I think.

You say professional athletes are maybe somehow different and list... two... Djokovic and Brady. I was sure Brady confirmed he was vaccinated early last year. As are lots of NFL athletes as can be worked out from how many days they have to miss when they test +ve.

The vast majority of most sportspersons appear to be vaccinated. I don't think it's got anything to do with being peak athletes (it'd be the opposite surely?). Apart from minority who have a very specific medical condition where a vaccine could lead to high risks. I don't think that includes some form of asthma unless he has an amazingly rare form that allows him to be a "peak athletes" but is severe enough to need a medical exemption... which he/his team mucked up. As said in previous posts (incl me), most medical advice says that people with asthmatic symptoms (also incl me) should take the vaccine as the unproven, theoretical risk is outweighed by the benefits.

Also, as others have said, his history of comments re Covid don't gain him any flex/sympathy ... they just suggest it's purely down to his view on Covid vaccinations. He's welcome to it.
I didn't mean to claim that Brady is unvaccinated. I was implying that Djokovic and Brady are very diet oriented athletes - almost obnoxiously rigorous diets. I did know that Brady is vaccinated against COVID.

Yeah, don't disagree that Djokovic is playing very stupid and dangerous game. He could have handled all of this much smarter. I think backlash he is receiving is too much, but we are living in a world where conforming is a priority.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I didn't mean to claim that Brady is unvaccinated. I was implying that Djokovic and Brady are very diet oriented athletes - almost obnoxiously rigorous diets. I did know that Brady is vaccinated against COVID.

Yeah, don't disagree that Djokovic is playing very stupid and dangerous game. He could have handled all of this much smarter. I think backlash he is receiving is too much, but we are living in a world where conforming is a priority.
I think there are thousands of top level athletes across numerous sports… almost by definition, you need to look after your body extremely carefully to be one.

Personally, I think he’s getting the response that he/his team could have expected… if they didn’t read the room/world so poorly, just like last year with his “covids not an issue” home tournament. Australians have had to put up with some of the toughest rules in the world (no idea if right or wrong strategy) with huge impact/loss, they’re seeing a rise in cases and then told that someone can come into their country to play a sport by what seems to be a loophole/exception. I’d be pissed t.b.h

The only other “peak” sportsman I know who did something similar (not identical) was Aaron Rodgers who also got loads of abuse and deserved it. I’d also be fine with United docking the wages from any player that cant be arsed to get vaccinated then gets Covid and can’t play… no issue with people having their own views of vaccines (even if I disagree with them) but they have to take the consequences and the same consequences regardless of your name/job/wealth.

Zen

The only other “peak” sportsman I know who did something similar (not identical) was Aaron Rodgers who also got loads of abuse and deserved it. I’d also be fine with United docking the wages from any player that cant be arsed to get vaccinated then gets Covid and can’t play… no issue with people having their own views of vaccines (even if I disagree with them) but they have to take the consequences and the same consequences regardless of your name/job/wealth.
And Kyrie Irving - who incidentally despite his team laying down the law on him 4-5 months ago, is getting back to play. Just like Rodgers can continually casually play because the NFL's outdoors. Talents rules the roost, they bring the money after all. The Aussie Open wants him there because they have sponsors to please - and even as a villain he's gonna bring a shed load of money to the tournament, he could go home now and it's already got more interest in it before the draws even happened.

There's almost certainly a fair in the Premiership too - just not voicing it so openly.

saivet

I think if Djokovic said he can't take the vaccine for x reason (without even going into great detail) I doubt there would be much of an issue.

Regardless of the reason, he's painted the perception that he's not taken the vaccine because he doesn't believe in vaccines, rather than him having a specific reason not to take the vaccine.

Whatever his exemption is, given his secrecy over the matter and his previous comments it's only natural that have a cynical view that he has been seeking to find an exemption as he doesn't want to take the vaccine.

It's taken him a while to get the exemption and it was rumoured that he had a previous application rejected therefore it's the backlash is expected due to bad faith.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Fantastic. No exemptions should be granted for anti-vaxxers, doesn't matter how good they are at hitting a ball around.
You do realise there are already others unvaccinated who've already arrived for the AO to play?

Hilarious people think its only Djokovic with a ME. :lol:

Fts 74

There's always going to be the odd one like Sandgrens who will defend him but I'm pretty sure most won't.

The best players will always want to play in the slams whether Djokovic decides to go home or isn't allowed and decides he'll never play at the AO again.

Players come and go no matter how good they are, he's either incredibly niave or incredibly arrogant to think he can act like he has over the past 2 years in relation to covid and vaccinations and not face any kind of backlash.
Your clearly a fan of his which is fine, I personally don't like him but don't doubt he's one of the best to ever play the game.

He just doesn't seem to get or care how bad this looks, if he doesn't want to get vaccinated (which I believe everyone should)that's his choice but just spare us the drama, if he's had covid in the last 6 months just say that's what the exemption is for.

Unfortunately for him because of his attitude towards covid in the past couple of years this was always going to happen.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
There's always going to be the odd one like Sandgrens who will defend him but I'm pretty sure most won't.
He was refused a medical exemption, if anyone would have ample reason to be raging over that, it would be him.

Think his tweet speaks volumes the opposite way tbh

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Apparently if he has had covid in last 6 months then that qualifies as an exemption per the Oz rules for entry. Could be he does not want to reveal a repeat covid infection to avoid questions over not getting vaccinated again. If he has had covid in last 6 months, the exemption would be valid.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
You do realise there are already others unvaccinated who've already arrived for the AO to play?

Hilarious people think its only Djokovic with a ME. :lol:
And there are others who were rejected. Hilarious people think Djokovic is the only one that could be rejected :lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.