Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
-I’ll get the best lawyers in the world here on the next flight
-Are they vaxxed?
-……..I’ll get the third best lawyers in the world here on the next flight”
:lol:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Stupid of him now to fight this. This is a political and public issue now in Oz. He won't be able to force his way through.
Yeah once the Aussie PM weighed in he either had to make his exemption reason public if he had a genuine one or they’d never let him in. Easy political win with zero downside. Open court smash for them.

ZDwyr

I wonder if Australia sent back the money Novak sent them during the fire that happened 2 years ago.
:lol: please. I get that you're a fan of the guy but take a step-back and try and view this without the bias.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I wonder if Australia sent back the money Novak sent them during the fire that happened 2 years ago.
Of course they did. With 15% interest rate.
It's just a private matter and Nole won't talk about it :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So am I right in saying the reason it’s been revoked is he failed to show evidence of a reasonable medical exemption? Proving what most people in this thread have been saying about him?

Baxter

So am I right in saying the reason it’s been revoked is he failed to show evidence of a reasonable medical exemption? Proving what most people in this thread have been saying about him?
This is what it says here.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I usually like Djokovic but this is deserved. No one should get special treatment. Will be interesting how this season goes. Judging from Macron's words today I can see RG beeing only for vaccinated players too. If Nole wants to play some slams this year he should just get the jab and stop with this nonsense.

wr8_utd

:'(
I'm assuming you need to be fully vaccinated for entry into Australia so he surely can't even get two doses in the next two weeks?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
So exactly what most people here are saying.
Read the article.

A source close to Tennis Australia, speaking anonymously to discuss the situation, said it appeared federal officials were blocking Djokovic’s path to avoid the potentially unpopular appearance of allowing him into the country with a medical exemption.

“I don’t know how the feds will [address the fact that] several tennis players are already in the country with the same exemption granted to Novak,” the source said.
“This looks to us like the feds are responding to the media by letting some players in but not the World No. 1.”

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
This is what it says here.

I wonder if his PR guy is secretly a Nadal fan. You’d struggle to make this as big a PR disaster as he/his team has. He could have tweeted and not mentioned exemption, could have tweeted “coming to Aus, can’t wait, love it there, great people” but..

Tweet a smiley pic… “hny, hope you’re healthy, I’m coming to Aus on a technicality. Wish me luck ” (tone deaf)
“No, I won’t say if I’m vaccinated”
“no I won’t tell you if ive had covid”
“no, i Won’t say what the technicality is”
Dad threats
Appeal

He‘ll either lose (I’m assuming Aus know their own rules) or win and get dogs abuse.

or he could have had two teeny tiny jabs that hundreds of millions of people including kids get.

saivet

Is it not linked to them applying for the wrong visa? If they applied for the correct visa they wouldn't have had such grounds to interrogate him?

Or just shows that the process Tennis Australia followed wasn't robust enough?

wr8_utd

:'(
Is it not linked to them applying for the wrong visa? If they applied for the correct visa they wouldn't have had such grounds to interrogate him?

What the Health Minister said was that it was cancelled because he failed to provide appropriate evidence following a review of the exemption that was provided. I don't think applying for the right type of visa here would help. It appears that his grounds for appealing under the "medical exemption" criteria did not quite work out.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Per BBC “Djokovic is due to play in the Australian Open, after being exempted from vaccination rules.

But his team had not requested a visa that permits medical exemptions for being unvaccinated.”

That could be a mistake or it could be they wanted to be let in on a more standard VISA and deliberate. Surely not.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona

The Victorian Government provided him with an exemption.

The commonwealth Government at the border has refused his application and said his evidence is not sufficient.

I think? :lol:

saivet

Well, whatever happened, all a bit of shambles from the Australian officials.

Brophs

The One and Only
The real take away is that is an absolute cnut of a flight to have to repeat 9 hours later or whatever.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He hasn't been deported yet but hopefully will be.

Last edited:

Traub

I'm assuming you need to be fully vaccinated for entry into Australia so he surely can't even get two doses in the next two weeks?
He could get the J&J vaccine and wait two weeks, that would count.

Those saying this is politics... almost all decisions we are living through right now are due to politics - the medical experts are providing their opinions to the politicians, who are then deciding how to lockdown, rollout vaccines etc. This is no different.

saivet

Yeah, despite having the longest continuous lockdown in … the world (?), I can’t believe they didn’t let him into their country just because he didn’t have the correct forms/proof of exemption for entry
He was gave the exemption though, surely the different parties involved should have been more aligned to prevent this situation? Why did Tennis Australia give him the go ahead without validating it with the respective government bodies.

Traub

He was gave the exemption though, surely the different parties involved should have been more aligned to prevent this situation? Why did Tennis Australia give him the go ahead without validating it with the respective government bodies.
You can get visas to countries and still be turned back by border control, even before Covid.

saivet

You can get visas to countries and still be turned back by border control, even before Covid.
Of course, but he's effectively been rejected based on the evidence he was told was fine a couple of days ago.

We'll have to wait to hear more information from each of the parties but it all just seems so messy.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Yes, but it's no guarantee and never has been. People get rejected at the airport even with the proper visa - and pre covid.

Especially citizens of third world countries know that granted visa does NOT mean free access. You still have to show sufficient proof to the border forces. Djokovic did not succeed in convincing the guys at the border. He should have known. Ideally rules apply for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.