Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

Nadal took the 3rd by going aggressive and putting Novak on the back foot earlier.

Going passive again, allowing Novak to dictate.

Amir

Not sure why they wait until 8:45pm, maybe to attract US eastcoast viewers after work or some other commercial reason.
They've been doing it daily, though. Today it was simply a case of having all four matches on the same court. Luckily the first three were long but not too long, or this match would have started even later.

wr8_utd

:'(
Nadal better not get broken now to let Djoko serve first next set. Needs to hold.

Brophs

The One and Only
Djokovic is going so big on the forehand. More like the sort of ball you'd hit in practice, with very little cover.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
What a performance. Two set points saved and clawed his way back from 5-2 to win a tiebreak in the fourth set, against Djokovic.

Fecking hell take a bow Rafa.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm guessing Novak wasn't too happy with the crowd tonight. No acknowledgement as he left the court.

saivet

Amazing performance from Rafa. Didn't have the nerves to watch the tiebreak (watching now) but to come from a couple of set points down and 5-2 down was pretty extraordinary.

Zverev will be a tough match but with two days off, he should have enough recovery time.

Vamossss

Brophs

The One and Only
The retirement chat around Rafa is interesting. I'm assuming he's just suggesting that if he can't stay fit, or the foot gives him major problems, then he may choose to stop. Rather than this being some sort of farewell tour. Perhaps I'm wrong.

saivet

The retirement chat around Rafa is interesting. I'm assuming he's just suggesting that if he can't stay fit, or the foot gives him major problems, then he may choose to stop. Rather than this being some sort of farewell tour. Perhaps I'm wrong.
That's my impression too. If the foot flares up like it did last year, he'll probably call it a day. I don't think he's prepared to have such long injury lay offs anymore.

MattofManchester

If anything, go for winning all 4 majors this year and just retire afterwards.

But he loves tennis, so to him, tearing his body apart for what he loves is worth it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I have a feeling this may be like when he beat Alcaraz but lost to Fritz. I hope not, though.

saivet

Have to say the 8.45pm start is daft too. You could see loads of people at the front wrapped up in blankets. Tennis really is an odd sport that matches quite regularly are being played beyond midnight.

wr8_utd

If anything, go for winning all 4 majors this year and just retire afterwards.

But he loves tennis, so to him, tearing his body apart for what he loves is worth it.
On the contrary, he's often said he'll stop when he feels his body can't handle it any more and in the last year or so you've started to feel he's getting there even though he's still competing for Slams. He was very evasive about it again when asked if he'll be back next year. There is a genuine chance he may not return to Paris again.

wr8_utd

Have to say the 8.45pm start is daft too. You could see loads of people at the front wrapped up in blankets. Tennis really is an odd sport that matches quite regularly are being played beyond midnight.
I think Amazon had rights for this match in France and they probably liked those timings for their own broadcast ratings.

wr8_utd

Zverev is generally awful vs Top 10 players at Slams and his win vs Carlos was his first ever so you'd think Rafa would win but he's coming in on the back of two long and exhausting matches and Zverev typically troubles Rafa so you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.