Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traub

Oh I didn’t know that. So I could literally book a flight from London to Melbourne, stop over at Zürich and Singapore, and be able to board the plane each time without anyone ever checking if I even have a visa?
I think the airlines check you have a valid visa to enter the destination, as I think otherwise they have to pay to send you back. However, all they are checking is you have a visa that lets you into the destination if that makes sense.

freeurmind

weak willed
The way it's been worded is that the medical panels granted a visa based on a medical exemption, but not necessarily that all the paperwork was shown as that would be a job for border checks. It's a bit of a moot point anyway as the Victoria commission are independent from the federal side of things and it's the latter who allow people into the country.

It does seem a bit of a logistical mess though, but that is on the traveller to make sure that they have everything they need at the point of entry. I was nervous when going to Australia on a business visa as when checking what I needed to do there were so many people saying they had got turned away at entry despite thinking they were fine having got the visa. In the end I was through in about 1 minute, but you definitely have to be careful.
Wouldn't it be simpler to ask applicants to provide everything necessary during the application process ?

Balljy

Wouldn't it be simpler to ask applicants to provide everything necessary during the application process ?
Probably and you do have to do a fair amount of work to get a business visa. A lot of that was handled by the company I work for which made it easier for me.

Visas can be obtained a long time in advance though, so taking the example of a medical exemption it could be valid at the time of applying, but have run out at the time of entry. I agree that it would be easier to be forced to give all evidence in advance though.

Rooney24

Oh I didn’t know that. So I could literally book a flight from London to Melbourne, stop over at Zürich and Singapore, and be able to board the plane each time without anyone ever checking if I even have a visa?
i mean I myself have never been to Australia but as far as I know yes. And if you land in Australia and your paperwork doesn’t stack up they are going to turn you away.

it would be like flying from London to the states. No one at Heathrow is checking whether you have done all you should do to enter the states. Why would they? It’s not their job

Rooney24

It's a battle of principles. Djokovic has his own, which I respect. Australia also have their own, which must be respected.

The only way that one party does not come out looking like a loser is that Djokovic stays home and prepares for the French Open.
he still comes out looking the loser in that scenario. He went the whole way to Australia and didn’t get in.

Drawfull

It's a battle of principles. Djokovic has his own, which I respect. Australia also have their own, which must be respected.

The only way that one party does not come out looking like a loser is that Djokovic stays home and prepares for the French Open.
Bit of a stretch to conflate anti-vaxx frippery with 'principles'. The guy's a quack, being advised by quacks.

Rooney24

I think the airlines check you have a valid visa to enter the destination, as I think otherwise they have to pay to send you back. However, all they are checking is you have a visa that lets you into the destination if that makes sense.
do they though ?

Two countries I travelled to where I had to apply for the visa before I entered and it was literally stuck into a page on my passport were Vietnam and China.

I don’t recall anyone, or any other airline, before I flew to either country checking that. But it was absolutely checked on arrival.

I might be not remembering correctly though.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
i mean I myself have never been to Australia but as far as I know yes. And if you land in Australia and your paperwork doesn’t stack up they are going to turn you away.

it would be like flying from London to the states. No one at Heathrow is checking whether you have done all you should do to enter the states. Why would they? It’s not their job
I’m sure when I went from Dublin to New York it was all done Dublin side. It’s possible I’m totally wrong mind - I can barely remember yesterday - but it felt like you were entering the American part of the airport - like it was US territory :lol:

freeurmind

weak willed

The airline should check. Unless I'm mistaken, airlines have an obligation to transport the person back if they are denied entry whether the passenger has money to pay for the ticket or not.
This caused an issue for me with SAA, when I flew to Shanghai as China first issues an entry visa and then you get the permanent visa in China upon arrival. Since the entry visa is short term and I didn't have a return ticket, SAA called the Chinese embassy to confirm everything was in order before letting me board.

spiriticon

Bit of a stretch to conflate anti-vaxx frippery with 'principles'. The guy's a quack, being advised by quacks.
I agree, but at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be vaccinated, you can't force him get one. Unless of course the ATP makes it mandatory, then he must get one or retire from the sport.

freeurmind

weak willed
I agree, but at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be vaccinated, you can't force him get one. Unless of course the ATP makes it mandatory, then he must get one or retire from the sport.
Nadal would get the all-time record if that happened. :)

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Border checks still can make their own decision. At least in UK, US and Germany.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wait, I thought the necessary paperwork was the confirmation of the exemption that was already granted by the two independent medical panels appointed by the Victoria department of health?!
That was to enter the Open and not to enter Australia. At the border he didn't have evidence sufficient to be allowed in apparently. Exactly what the issue is we don't know as his grounds to claim an exemption haven't been revealed yet.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Djokovic is a tit but what's the point of giving him a medic exemption if the visa was going to be denied? Could have been handled much better from all sides but it's hilarious becausenit happened to an anti vaxx nut

Rooney24

The airline should check. Unless I'm mistaken, airlines have an obligation to transport the person back if they are denied entry whether the passenger has money to pay for the ticket or not.
This caused an issue for me with SAA, when I flew to Shanghai as China first issues an entry visa and then you get the permanent visa in China upon arrival. Since the entry visa is short term and I didn't have a return ticket, SAA called the Chinese embassy to confirm everything was in order before letting me board.
oh right. I’m really not sure now then.

I flew London to HK once, spent a few days there and then flew on to Shanghai. I don’t recall anyone until I got to Shanghai checking any of my visa docs. I could be completely wrong as it was about 5 years ago now.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No idea, I’m assuming he’d have to provide a negative PCR test that’s been done pre-departure, and probably they’d be checking if he’s showing any symptoms once he’s landed?
All Aussies arriving have to show a negative PCR taken within 72 hrs of departure and proof of vaccination then self isolate for 3 days with a pcr test on day 1 and day 6. Unvaccinated returnees have to quarantine in a special hotel for 14 days at their own cost. Unless it has changed in the last couple of weeks.

Kopral Jono

I'm boosted and antivaxxers are idiots, let's get that in the way first, but something about this sits a bit uncomfortably with me. If I have things my way I'd have let him in but make his time in the country absolutely miserable out of spite. Daily PCR tests, rapid antigen tests twice daily, no-go areas, that sort of thing.

NotworkSte

I’m sure when I went from Dublin to New York it was all done Dublin side. It’s possible I’m totally wrong mind - I can barely remember yesterday - but it felt like you were entering the American part of the airport - like it was US territory :lol:
Technically you are. Dublin is one airport where US customs work to clear you before you fly so you are admitted to the US before you fly and don’t do immigration when you land. Airside at that terminal I guess is considered part of the US. Edit: no I am wrong on this part, is still Irish jurisdiction.
The US is a weird country when it come to immigration in that airlines need to submit all passengers details ahead of time and it is possible to be denied boarding before you fly. And no one transits the US without clearing inmigration so airlines generally dont stop in the US on the way to another country. Everyone clears immigration even if they aren’t destined for there and have an onward flight.

freeurmind

weak willed
oh right. I’m really not sure now then.

I flew London to HK once, spent a few days there and then flew on to Shanghai. I don’t recall anyone until I got to Shanghai checking any of my visa docs. I could be completely wrong as it was about 5 years ago now.
It may have changed now with the political upheavel but I'm sure UK nationals are visa exempt for Hong Kong.

Anyways I'm sure Australia has every right to set their visa policy but it does seem a bit ridiculous for me to go through the whole visa process and then to be told upon arrival that everything is not in order.

spiriticon

I'm boosted and antivaxxers are idiots, let's get that in the way first, but something about this sits a bit uncomfortably with me. If I have things my way I'd have let him in but make his time in the country absolutely miserable out of spite. Daily PCR tests, rapid antigen tests twice daily, no-go areas, that sort of thing.
Nah, then you'd have a load of non-vax people wanting to enter Australia citing his example and it will be bad for any sort of government.

Covid policing large volumes of people once they are in the country is next to impossible, as Boris Johnson can probably testify.

Traub

do they though ?

Two countries I travelled to where I had to apply for the visa before I entered and it was literally stuck into a page on my passport were Vietnam and China.

I don’t recall anyone, or any other airline, before I flew to either country checking that. But it was absolutely checked on arrival.

I might be not remembering correctly though.
It may be country specific, as I'm also South African and have had them check my visa before leaving.

saivet

He had a visa but was unable to.provide the neccesary paperwork that he claimed that he had to back up.his exemption from being vaccinated prior to entry, so.the visa was cancelled.

If he had boarded a commercial flight they may well not have let him fly but I'm guessing they pilot of his own private jet wasn't much of a stikler for paperwork
Not that it matters all that much but I read in an article that he boarded an Emirates flight from Dubai.

Kopral Jono

Nah, then you'd have a load of non-vax people wanting to enter Australia citing his example and it will be bad for any sort of government.

Policing large volumes of people once they are in the country is next to impossible, as Boris Johnson can probably testify.
I completely get the counterargument and I have zero sympathies for Djokovic, feck him and his new-age infested brain, but there's something about a hard mandate that makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.

saivet

I think that's a unique case. Don't ask my why but I was once watching a youtube video about an airline (BA?) flying from London City Airport to Dublin (or somewhere else), passengers getting off the plane and going through customs in Dublin before getting back on the plane and flying to the states. Sounds similar to what you experienced where you went through customs in another country

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Djokovic is a tit but what's the point of giving him a medic exemption if the visa was going to be denied? Could have been handled much better from all sides but it's hilarious becausenit happened to an anti vaxx nut
Think they're two separate things?

TA can say "based on what you've told us, you could qualify for a medical exemption" but they're not the arbiters of border control.

If Wimbledon said a player can enter their tournament based on what he/she said, we'd expect said player to check rules of the UK and make sure they met them?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
NSW and Victorua are beginning to struggle partly due to hospitalisations and partly due to isolating medical staff. PCR testing is close to collapse and both states will probably have to stop all non-emergency procedures soon. If infections don't peak soon things could get very ugly.
Sounds pretty similar to what we had/are having in London, and what could be the case across a lot of the UK soon. Best of luck to you!

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Think they're two separate things?

TA can say "based on what you've told us, you could qualify for a medical exemption" but they're not the arbiters of border control.

If Wimbledon said a player can enter their tournament based on what he/she said, we'd expect said player to check rules of the UK and make sure they met them?
From what I understand that’s exactly what he did. It’s not his first time flying to AUS so he must have completed the visa application a hundred times before and as far as we know there were never any issues with it.

Ok so this time he needed additional documentation re. the medical exemption etc, which he obtained, but then only upon landing found out that even that wasn’t enough. I mean at this point I’m not sure what else he could have done?!

spiriticon

I completely get the counterargument and I have zero sympathies for Djokovic, feck him and his new-age infested brain, but there's something about a hard mandate that makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.
Yeah it is a tough decision. I don't think there will be a situation where a country enforces a complete hard mandate for vaccines, because that is in effect restricting freedom of choice for the whole country. But as Nadal said with every choice comes consequences, good or bad. To be honest even if there was a hard mandate for vaccines put in by a government, one is free to choose to migrate to another country. There is always a choice I feel.

But really the anti-vaxxers are simply the most selfish of human beings who are happy for others to take the risk, so that they benefit from the herd immunity without any risk to themselves. You can bet that when they have serious cancer, their trust in medicines and doctors will be 100%. "Inject me with more of that nice cancer-curing nanobots with 5G capability please sir"

Last edited:

ExoduS

This is an awesome show ! At this point I just hope Djokovic stays safe and sane. Deportation or not - I don't care at this point.

Still think that Nole should have taken a jab, however I'm amazed and scared how far he is going not to get it. Amazed as he is putting a lot on the line - I think I would let them jab me 10 times just to avoid this sh1t. Scared - what if he knows something we all don't. What if other power elite is faking their vaccination status. Yep I'm going into a crazy land cause of Djokovic. I know it.

Overall great show. Better than any movie or show these days on TV. This is going into history whichever turn it takes.

massi83

From what I understand that’s exactly what he did. It’s not his first time flying to AUS so he must have completed the visa application a hundred times before and as far as we know there were never any issues with it.

Ok so this time he needed additional documentation re. the medical exemption etc, which he obtained, but then only upon landing found out that even that wasn’t enough. I mean at this point I’m not sure what else he could have done?!
Well, he could have had the correct documentation.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
he still comes out looking the loser in that scenario. He went the whole way to Australia and didn’t get in.
After hearing Maçron’s statements, Novaxx better get jabbed before he thinks about heading to Roland Garros.

R'hllor

Being more obnoxious than those anti vax morons is quite an achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.