g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Tennis 2023

Brophs

The One and Only
The Aussie Open should play that retirement video for the craic.

IRN-BRUno

Fair play to Murray, for whatever reason I was never a huge fan of him but you have to admire the way he's still out there winning matches like this after all the injuries.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He's amazing, i genuinely think hes underrated in tennis because he was unfortunate enough to be around with the others.

Exceptionally good player and proving it still.

saivet

Some comeback from Murray. I think the best thing for Murray is that his body has held up today and also against Berrettini. To win back to back 5 setters, over 10 hours in total is incredible from him.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Cyborg after R1, Immortal after R2. Contemporary players should really have a look at themselves and then at Him to understand dedication, resilience and willpower.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Cyborg after R1, Immortal after R2. Contemporary players should really have a look at themselves and then at Him to understand dedication, resilience and willpower.
I mean, this is what has set him a part and dragged him up to be able to compete with the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djok over his career. He's relentless and sublime. It must absolutely destroy players knowing that mentality is on the otherside of the net.

mav_9me

Great defence, but Kokkinakis didn’t exactly cover himself in glory with those smashes.
Yeah of course, otherwise they should be unreturnable easily. But still all credit to Murray's tenacity.

Doracle

Just looked to see if he had a big server who might play short points and give him some chance. Nope - it’s RBA next! A shame as that part of the draw is wide open and Murray would be favourite in a one-off match against any of them players he would face before the SF.

Drawfull

Just looked to see if he had a big server who might play short points and give him some chance. Nope - it’s RBA next! A shame as that part of the draw is wide open and Murray would be favourite in a one-off match against any of them players he would face before the SF.
He's lost his last three against RBA as well.

Last edited:

Coxy

He's amazing, i genuinely think hes underrated in tennis because he was unfortunate enough to be around with the others.

Exceptionally good player and proving it still.
I wonder how much more he would have won without possibly the 3 greatest players ever alongside him.

Zen

Woods is a good one. The tennis ones are equivalences for me, but furry muff. 99 United OK. Hence one of all time.
I got and acknowledged the one of.... and I still openly disagree, unless he goes seriously deep, this is recency bias and will be reasonably forgotten over time. Unless like I said, when you say 'one of' - you are talking absolutely loads, which fair enough.

LDUred

In terms of sheer desire and will-power Murray is right up there. Hard to think of anyone with more guts than him.

As to whether he should still be out there, clearly he should be. He's still a big draw for the crowd and that's because of his overall record as a GS winner and that he's always capable of turning a game round through not giving up. He deserves so much respect.

Dan_F

I hope he can stay fit this year and try to get a decent ranking by Wimbledon. I don’t know how likely it is that he can pull that back to being seeded? Feel like it’s always going to be an uphill battle otherwise.

Fts 74

It's always a roller coaster with Murray, even at his peak things were rarely straightforward.

Without his serious injuries (hip,back), I reckon he probably would've won around 4 more slams.

Hes an incredible competitor who never knows when he's beaten an absolute legend and without doubt one of Britain's greatest ever sportsmen.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I’d no idea they played so late. Is this normal for the Australian open and is it to suit european audience?

Doracle

I hope he can stay fit this year and try to get a decent ranking by Wimbledon. I don’t know how likely it is that he can pull that back to being seeded? Feel like it’s always going to be an uphill battle otherwise.
If he stays fit and in current form, it should be doable for him to be seeded by Wimbledon. He doesn’t have any big points to defend and a couple of decent runs in some hard court tournaments will push him up the rankings. In the very unlikely event he was to win his next two matches here, for example, he’d be right on the edge of being seeded.

Kag

If he’s fully fit (as much as one with a bionic back can be) then he’s in with a shout of going deep on the grass. As you say, a good ranking will help.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I’d no idea they played so late. Is this normal for the Australian open and is it to suit european audience?

Yeh im just learning this too. Absolutely crazy to finish at that time.

Doracle

Yeh im just learning this too. Absolutely crazy to finish at that time.
It’s not just the Australian but it’s by far the worst. Any sort of long match earlier in the day and the late match will be finishing late in the night. Record is Hewitt v Baghdatis back in 2008, finishing at 435am!

Dan_F

If he stays fit and in current form, it should be doable for him to be seeded by Wimbledon. He doesn’t have any big points to defend and a couple of decent runs in some hard court tournaments will push him up the rankings. In the very unlikely event he was to win his next two matches here, for example, he’d be right on the edge of being seeded.
If he’s fully fit (as much as one with a bionic back can be) then he’s in with a shout of going deep on the grass. As you say, a good ranking will help.
Thanks. Just hope he recovers enough to give it a good go in the next round. I thought he actually looked more tired at the end of the Berrettini match than this one.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Murray obviously is a hero, one of Britain’s greatest sportsman In history and one of the few truly genuine all round top blokes (off the court, not on it! :lol:).
The scheduling is insane. 4am finish??? That’s getting completely out of hand.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Three class matchups today.

Hurkacz vs Shapo
Khachanov vs Tiafoe
Korda vs Medvedev

saivet

Three class matchups today.

Hurkacz vs Shapo
Khachanov vs Tiafoe
Korda vs Medvedev
Just seen Khachanov is two sets up vs Tiafoe. I'd always expect the top guys to beat Khachanov but he's a bit of a litmus test for some of the up and coming players. A bit less consistent than Rublev, they have obvious limitations but very solid players that beat who they should be more often than not.

saivet

Hurkacz going under the radar here, right now I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the final or even wins the title. He has a positive H2H vs Medvedev and Korda.