Tennis 2023

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Great win for Gauff, occasion / crowd got to Sabalenka? Apparently she's had a hard time closing matches out before this too. Can't say I know too much as usually only follow the majors now.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I can't comprehend how she can be so cool and composed at 19.
Incredible last 2 sets.
Sports kids are insane all round, they're just ridiculously professional and grown up.

At that kind of age I'd barely be able to get out of bed and put my clothes on correctly every morning.

saivet

Great win for Gauff, occasion / crowd got to Sabalenka? Apparently she's had a hard time closing matches out before this too. Can't say I know too much as usually only follow the majors now.
It probably was a factor, never easy playing in such an environment.

saivet

On the phone on the court very much a player of her age :lol:

Assume on the phone to her younger brother

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I refuse to believe that lad is 12

RORY65

Sports kids are insane all round, they're just ridiculously professional and grown up.

At that kind of age I'd barely be able to get out of bed and put my clothes on correctly every morning.
It's amazing how she feels like she's been around for years given she was being hyped at Wimbledon 4 years ago and yet she's still a teenager. The way that she's already worked to fix some of the flaws in her game, stopping her forehand from being a weakness that can be attacked, shows real maturity and intelligence to her game.

saivet

Sabalenka is distraught and hysterical at the same time. The on court interview for losing finalist is so tough

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
And now for the trophy presentation.... here's your cheque!!!

Duafc

Village Lemon
Also hated the pre match interview. As if the players want any part of that.

saivet

Such a mature person, wins her first grand slam and just looks so comfortable up there.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
What a transformation for Gauff since her 1st round defeat at Wimbledon a couple of months ago. She since won her first ever WTA 500 title at DC, her first ever WTA 1000 title at Cincy, and her first ever grand slam title here.

Clearly any WTA executive, or person associated with the promotion / marketing of women’s tennis would have wanted to Gauff to win (privately though obviously), as that was always going to be far better and more lucrative outcome for them.

The previous commentary I read across the internet about her being overrated was absurd, given that she was clearly on the right track at her young age. After her Wimbledon 2019 breakout, she won her first WTA title at the age of 15, reached her first grand slam quarter-final at the age of 17, reached her first grand slam final at the age of 18, and now was won a grand slam title (on the back of WTA 500 and 1000 titles) at the age of 19. That has been excellent progress - a 19 year old in modern day women’s tennis is younger relatively speaking than a 19 year old in 1983, 1993, 2003 etc.

saivet

Coco > Radu ?
Coco undoubtedly has achieved more so far but it's a difficult comparison given their different career paths. Coco has had four full years on tour whereas Raducanu has only had one year.

I think Coco will at least he a consistent top 5 or 10 player in the world for many years whereas the data and injury record for Raducanu makes it a bit more difficult.

We'll just have to see and it will be interesting to see how Coco handles being a Grand Slam champion next year. Personally I think it will help her and she will handle it well but many have lost motivation or felt the pressure.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I don't think she has the all round game to be totally dominant with the likes of Sabalenka, Swiatek, Rybakina around but I absolutely see her with more 1000 wins and GS (finals and wins) on hard and clay in the next year or two. Wimbledon might allude her for a while.

But she is so young yet so experienced and mature in her play and mannerisms. Great mentality and her defence/movement is the best on tour.

My fav tennis player.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Huge ask but I'd love to see Med win tonight, he's done it before! Leaving that aside at least 4 sets/good tight tennis would be good.

An easy final for Djoko is entirely possible but it would be a bummer.

wr8_utd

:'(
What's our feeling for the final? I'm thinking Novak in 4 after dropping the first.

wr8_utd

Took Novak 3 serves to hit an ace and then he followed it up with another. Carlos played four sets on Friday night and hit none.

wr8_utd

Straight sets. How did Carlitos lose to this bum?
Carlos had zero patience and strategy and Medvedev was a man on a mission with a point to prove that he belongs to that Novak/Carlos tier. It'll be very hard to sustain that level today against a far better player.

wr8_utd

Novak is just so clutch with his first serves when he needs it and this is something that Carlos just couldn't rely on in the semis.

saivet

Strong start for Novak. If this gets really physical with loads of long rallies, I can see Medvedev getting into the match.

wr8_utd

Strong start for Novak. If this gets really physical with loads of long rallies, I can see Medvedev getting into the match.
Yeah, Medvedev has the advantage there but Djoko is very smart with knowing when to rush the net and coupled with clutch serving, he's doing enough. Unfortunately, match up wise, I think Carlos would have been the better option here.

wr8_utd

this serve & volley from Novak :lol: so far it's working though.
It's a solid tactic given how far back Medvedev returns even second serves from. Carlos also did this but he was doing it pretty much every second serve of his.

wr8_utd

Medvedev hasn't been bad but he really needed to hold that first game and avoid that instant early pressure.

wr8_utd

Medvedev needs to keep these rallies long because the errors are flowing from Novak's end in the last ten minutes or so.

saivet

That loose first service game looks like it will cost Medvedev the set. He hasn't had any break point opportunities or got to deuce but he's been involved in most of the return games which is at least a positive. Not been a great deal in this so far.

wr8_utd

Just so poor from Medvedev on the 30-15 point there. After he drags Novak wide with the crosscourt FH, he had the down the line to put huge pressure and lumps it back in the middle and its the set gone.

saivet

Medvedev's level has dropped in this 2nd set. He's still in it, but this set feels inevitable for Djokovic.

Think he has to hope he keeps it on hold and has an opportunity at 5-4 or 6-5.

wr8_utd

Medvedev's level has dropped in this 2nd set. He's still in it, but this set feels inevitable for Djokovic.

Think he has to hope he keeps it on hold and has an opportunity at 5-4 or 6-5.
The break is a matter of time, honestly. Medvedevs been rubbish this set. He's hitting too many errors, sadly.