Tennis Thread 2013

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Back to tennis after a break... catched the second set on Nadal's victory over Janowicz.

Tomorrow starts the Paris quarterfinals (Indoor), and the 8 players remaining, are all the same that will play at London.

Wawrinka vs Djokovic
Federer vs Del Potro (they played this weekend in basel, delpo won)
Nadal vs Gasquet
Ferrer vs Berdych

George Owen

Djokovic vs Ferrer, the final...

Clearly, some players are thinking in London.

Nole was the only one forced here (he need to win Paris if he wants to extend the number 1 fight to London). Hopefully Ferrer will give him a good fight (?). Nole will want to finish it as quickly as possible... might backfire, probably not.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I'm not sure what Stan has to do to take a set off Nadal, he's been so close in recent matches. Nadal just has that inner strength that all the greats have when it comes to tie-breaks. Producing your best tennis when you need it most.

DelPo v Djokovic today has potential to be a cracker. I'd still back Djokovic to retain his title here, he just looks as fit as ever even in the last event of the season.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I'm not sure what Stan has to do to take a set off Nadal, he's been so close in recent matches. Nadal just has that inner strength that all the greats have when it comes to tie-breaks. Producing your best tennis when you need it most.

DelPo v Djokovic today has potential to be a cracker. I'd still back Djokovic to retain his title here, he just looks as fit as ever even in the last event of the season.

Wawrinka's probably the 3rd or 4th best player in the world at the moment. I hope Nadal wins today and he gets through to the semis.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Djokovic hardly hit a winner tonight, he didn't need to. Stan was gifting him the UE's all night long. Novak in straight sets tomorrow I reckon.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I'd love Nadal to really seal an epic comeback year with a first win here tonight, I know a lot of people can't stand him but this has been a really impressive return to form.

shaggy

Djok win will set up next year nicely what with Nadal dominating the second half of 2013. Djok could prove the stumbling block in Nadal's pursuit of Fed's 17 slams.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Djok win will set up next year nicely what with Nadal dominating the second half of 2013. Djok could prove the stumbling block in Nadal's pursuit of Fed's 17 slams.

I think Nadal will reach it purely through his total domination of the French Open, which is an astounding record.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Djokovic is in full brick wall mode tonight, Nadal not at the races.

shaggy

Djokovic is in full brick wall mode tonight, Nadal not at the races.

Djokovic is the only player on the tour who can consistently hit through Nadal (Del Potro can if he's at his very best but he blows hot and cold). While Nadal gets everything back forcing 99.9% of players to eventually miss or overplay Djokovic just keeps hitting the lines over and over again.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It's ridiculous, not only does he get to those balls he has no right getting to but he sends them back so accurately.

I'm looking forward to next year, these two on top of their game and hopefully Murray fully fit and spurred on by a great season this year then there could be some really good contests to look forward to.

shaggy

It's ridiculous, not only does he get to those balls he has no right getting to but he sends them back so accurately.

I'm looking forward to next year, these two on top of their game and hopefully Murray fully fit and spurred on by a great season this year then there could be some really good contests to look forward to.

I don't expect Murray to be fit enough to challenge for the Australian Open, and he's mediocre on the clay so it could take into Wimbledon before we see Murray back to his best.

NM

I think Nadal will reach it purely through his total domination of the French Open, which is an astounding record.
Djokovic will beat him there eventually - but I agree. The only thing that will stop Nadal from the record is his own body - how long can he keep going?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Djokovic will beat him there eventually - but I agree. The only thing that will stop Nadal from the record is his own body - how long can he keep going?

I think that'd probably key to all of this, if he can keep himself fit then I'd fancy him to take another 3 french opens, albeit not in a row, then would only need another 1 slam to take Federers record. Unfortunately knees are notoriously dodgy when you have problems, especially when you play the kind of game he does, and the amount of physical effort the modern game takes.

However I don't think anyone who hits a two handed backhand should ever be considered the greatest ever!

shaggy

Heh, fecking love Nadal at times. Brilliant resilience but Djok was just the better player.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I'm expecting Nole to raise his level on clay. He's been coming closer and closer now and I don't Nadal will be able to dominate as much as he used to.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I'm expecting Nole to raise his level on clay. He's been coming closer and closer now and I don't Nadal will be able to dominate as much as he used to.
Nole broke Rafa's amazing run at Monte Carlo and will beat him at Roland Garros next year, he should have done it this year but for a silly net touch. Nole has been performing like it's 2011 since he lost at US Open, amazing faultless tennis. Retaining the Australian Open again is a gimme in this form. Great end to the season for him with 22 consecutive wins and he'll get #1 back next year, there's no doubt in my mind. He'll perform better during the US hard court swing, and Rafa won't retain all those hard court Masters titles. Great year of tennis and you have to concede that Rafa has been the player of the year, just pipping Nole.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Nole broke Rafa's amazing run at Monte Carlo and will beat him at Roland Garros next year, he should have done it this year but for a silly net touch. Nole has been performing like it's 2011 since he lost at US Open, amazing faultless tennis. Retaining the Australian Open again is a gimme in this form. Great end to the season for him with 22 consecutive wins and he'll get #1 back next year, there's no doubt in my mind. He'll perform better during the US hard court swing, and Rafa won't retain all those hard court Masters titles. Great year of tennis and you have to concede that Rafa has been the player of the year, just pipping Nole.

Rafa has been exceptional this year, it was as if he missed tennis so much due to his injury that he was burning to win any tournament available. Did run out of steam a bit toward the end of the year. As for Nole he's really finding his consistency back and he just seems to be a bit sharper since he lost the number 1 spot. He has also improved his serve a lot which I always thought was the weakest aspect of the game, and that has helped him quite a bit. I'm also pleased Federer finished strong after all that crap he was playing this year.

George Owen

Or Rafa will come back better next year, which is to be expected. After all, this season he was coming back from an injury.

Next season, with a proper pre-season, he could have an even better year. A good Australian Open will keep him on the number one for a long time next year. Plus you just know he will win Roland Garros.

Rafa to retain his number one next season. No doubt in my mind.

Zen

Rafa wants a double career slam(Aussie Open).....Nole wants the first one while taking out Nadal(French).....will either give up their respective dominance. Neither has still been in all 4 finals in one year, still only Laver and Fed(x3) have done that.

Be insane if both do full Masters schedules next year too. Their fitness levels are the scariest in sport, with like Cristiano Ronaldo.

NM

Rafa wants a double career slam(Aussie Open).....Nole wants the first one while taking out Nadal(French).....will either give up their respective dominance. Neither has still been in all 4 finals in one year, still only Laver and Fed(x3) have done that.

Be insane if both do full Masters schedules next year too. Their fitness levels are the scariest in sport, with like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Alternately, Federer and WADA are correct, and tennis has a doping problem. I hope that isn't the case though!

George Owen

tonight Nico Massu celebrates his retirement. He will play vs David Nalbandian, and Rafa will play Nole.

Sadly, they were all received by the chilean president... usually a really bad omen. (like Ramsey scoring...)

I hope none of them suffer accidents or injuries next season :lol:

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Federer - Nole tonight. 17-15 head count at the moment. I can't see Nole winning this, I think his confidence went all crap since he took Becker and lost Vajda. I'm not sure what else he could do really. On the other hand Federer seems to be on a pretty good run.

NM

Federer's serve went to hell today. Good win for Djokovic.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Elena Baltacha has passed away. Aged 30.

Desperately sad. Loved watching her. Girl had a lot of fight in her game.

shaggy

Getting concerned with Murray's form now. Been dog shit all season. Hopefully still working his way to full fitness after his injury lay off.

Mighty Boosh

Cracking match between Nadal and Murray at the moment if anyones watching, into a final set now Murray went a break up but Nadal's just broken back and looks really fired up.