Tennis Thread 2013

Sam

Get the feck in Rafa!!

Watch out Roger, Rafa's closing on your record ;)

vuc

First Team Serb
Such a shame that Djokovic capitulated like that. Very unlike him in recent years.

Nadal deserves credit for staying in the points, but Djokovic should have taken that set off of him and then went on to cruise to victory. Big shame for him.

:lol: at Nadal's fall btw.

Sam

Novak's response to the first question :lol:

He's such a good guy.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Rafael Nadal

13 Grand Slams
26 Master Series

head to head:

vs Roger: 21-10
vs Nole: 21-15
vs Murray: 13-5

The best player to play the sport in the last 15 years, easy. What a Champion.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Rafael Nadal

13 Grand Slams
26 Master Series

head to head:

vs Roger: 21-10
vs Nole: 21-15
vs Murray: 13-5

The best player to play the sport in the last 15 years, easy. What a Champion.

edit: get a grip people... "Nadal deserves credit for staying in the points, but Djokovic should have taken that set off of him and then went on to cruise to victory. Big shame for him." wtf...
Shouldn't it be 22-15 against nole now ? And also calm down

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
The speeches at the US open are crap. They barely give any time for the guys to speak and instead are more interested in announcing the prize money. Its a bit cringey.

Seveneric

Congrats to Nadal, really amazing especially when you consider that by 2009, people were wondering if he'd even win ONE Us Open and he's gone on to do this. Also shows how much better he is on what is supposed to be his "worst" surface compared to how good his rivals are on theirs
Sad for Djokovic, just wasn't up to par tonight and he can't blame fatigue considering his usual stamina and the fact that he had time to rest. Don't why people keep bringing up 2011 Djokovic, I think that was an exception rather than the norm, tonight wasn't his usual level, but neither was 2011

wr8_utd

:'(
Rafa in one Austalian Open away from becoming the first man in the Open Era to win each slam atleast twice!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Mentally Djokovic is now the weakest of the 3. That was a set giveaway of colossal proportions. He was break up first, then 0-40 up on Nadal, then 30-0 on serve. Lost the set. Amazing new levels of bottlery.

:lol:

Oh dear.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Nadal is better than Federer. Unlike Federer who had Nadal dominating him in Grand Slams (and other tournaments in a lesser manner), Nadal actually managed to turn it around when he met his bogey opponent in Djokovic who had won like seven times in a row (3 or 4 in Grand Slam finals) against him... Respect.

Now I hope he manages to break Federer's Grand Slam record so that the ones leaning on statistics will have no excuses anymore. This guy would definitely be breaking Federer's record (at 27! he'd probably be 1 or 2 more slams closer) if he wasn't always injured and forced to pull out of Grand Slams or be hampered by his knees in them.

The hapless Swiss is probably shitting it now, there's definitely another two French Opens titles left in Nadal, which means he'll only need to scrape a Grand Slam here and there... injuries permitting..

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
madness that he may break Fed's record :lol:

The e-fights between the Nadal and Fed die-hards are about to reach One Direction/Justin Beiber levels of obsession.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
madness that he may break Fed's record :lol:

The e-fights between the Nadal and Fed die-hards are about to reach One Direction/Justin Beiber levels of obsession.
Madness my arse. Would you say it is a possibility that Nadal wins 3 more French opens in his career? He needs 5 slams in 3 years (don't see his body holding up at close to peak level much longer than that), he's probably done that before. :)

And no Nadal 'die hard', in fact I have mixed feelings... if you can look back far enough in my posting history, you will see that I have always rooted against Nadal in his battles vs Federer and Djokovic... I simply do not like him, but he has earned my respect for showing time and again what a great player he is which I can not deny... I always believed maybe Federer could turn it around but alas, I had to accept reality.

It's only justice to see someone who has destroyed Federer starting at age 20 or so that he finally shuts up the last doubters. Although as I said, mixed feelings, I was rooting for Djokovic in this match and will probably not be able to help myself rooting for Federer (if he ever makes a GS final again) or Djokovic in future GS finals against Nadal...

Bojan11

Djokovic mentally the weakest? What a stupid thing to say.

He's had a shit draw. Del Potro pushed him to like 5 hours at Wimbledon and so did Wawrinka. Djokovic has proven he can beat Rafa at a grand slam and on a consistent basis. No doubt he'd be working on a plan. But I think Rafa would have beaten Murray easily last night. Murray for me never would be able to beat Rafa, when he is playing well. Djokovic has in the US open and Australian open finals.

Also if I were to choose my top 10 tennis matches of all time, I would say Djokovic would come up in like 5 of them. He never disappoints.

shaggy

I meant madness as in oh god it may actually happen. Seemed unthinkable it would be broken so soon.

Seveneric

Would still be surprised if it happens, Nadal just has too much mileage on his body, one can guess how it'll hold up. If he however wins two slams next year, then I'm almost certain he will

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Yeah, I don't think its a done deal that Rafa will break Federer's record. Rafa's decline will be very steep once he loses his athleticism. Not sure he can play at this level past his 30s so he really has a couple more years to try and break the record.

Having said that, when history is written, Rafa should be listed as the greater player despite Federer having more slams.

shaggy

I actually think Novak's level of play over 2011 was the best I've ever seen.

Nearco

youth team player
Having said that, when history is written, Rafa should be listed as the greater player despite Federer having more slams.
Federer got in a few slams before this intensely good era started so I think Nadal will go down as the better player. The funny thing is because his serve becomes a big weapon on hardcourts he might be more unplayable at Flushing than he is at Roland Garros. Certainly Novak came closer to beating him at the French.

Zen

It's still a trivial debate really.......Federer was consistent as hell at all 4 slams. Nadal is consistent as hell on one, was consistent on Wimbledon(5 straight finals exceptional form) which is now seemingly his worst somehow, and choppy on hard courts(especially when he comes up against hot power players like Tsonga or DelPo.....wouldn't be surprised if Roanic made his name by beating him at one of the hards next year). Nole beating Nadal at the French will go a whole long way to putting him in the debate too, especially if he goes into Wimbledon with that and the Aussie open. Huge ask, but that's how you get into the debate.

Djokovic is now Mr Consistency, just doesn't have the same killer instinct. Nadal proves everything else wrong, so I think he'll end up winning slams into his late 20's if not early 30's....none of the younger guys seem to be stepping up either.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, I don't think its a done deal that Rafa will break Federer's record. Rafa's decline will be very steep once he loses his athleticism. Not sure he can play at this level past his 30s so he really has a couple more years to try and break the record.

It's still federer for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Djokovic fans must be a bit worried though about his recent performances in grand slams? Losing in 4 sets to nadal and getting battered by Murray in the last two grandlsams, making as many errors as he as, signifies a huge drop in standards by him.

Helder-Carvalho

João Sousa is the first portuguese to win an ATP title, he won the Malaysa Open by defeating the french Julien Benneteau 2-6, 7-6 6-4, he was 77 in the ATP ranking before the tournament.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
When Delpo is on fire, feck he is good. Today he overpowered Rafa and won quite easily. Plus Rafa's serving was awful...

Will play the final of Shanghai vs Nole... the title defender.

Nice nice game... Delpo for the win.

TheBest

SPNTBP
If Delpo plays as well as he did yesterday, he will blow Djokovic on these fast courts as well. Djokovic will put more of a fight probably.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Del Potro just cannot get over that finishing line can he. He's got all the tools required but he needs to string the amazing performances he is capable of back to back in order to win one of these Masters. Djokovic has responded brilliantly since the US Open.