Tennis Thread 2013

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
Djokovic just hit 46 winners against Nadal on clay in three sets! Total demolition job!

What makes it even more astounding is that he played horrendously in the first set.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
It really isn't good for Nadal that he's struggling on clay. He's struggled all season on the clay courts. Not quite sure what's wrong with him. Perhaps his decline is setting in earlier than expected.

ZDwyr

I still think he'll win the French Open. Glad that there is some doubt now though. I have disliked Roland Garros purely because of the predictability of it.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
It really isn't good for Nadal that he's struggling on clay. He's struggled all season on the clay courts. Not quite sure what's wrong with him. Perhaps his decline is setting in earlier than expected.
I think he is possibly working on peaking for the French. The injury that he suffered in January was a setback to the usual curve of preparation that he has enjoyed over the years, so perhaps Toni and him had to readjust this year. He looks slow out there, maybe he is working really hard off the court. Anyway, I still put him as slight favourite for the French as over 5 sets only one man has been able to beat him on clay.

ZDwyr

mmm well it's between him and David Ferrer.
I'll through in Lleyton Hewitt to be patriotic. I never liked him when he was younger, but seeing him play with really bad foot injuries. And to constantly come back from the injuries when there is no real need.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
I'll through in Lleyton Hewitt to be patriotic. I never liked him when he was younger, but seeing him play with really bad foot injuries. And to constantly come back from the injuries when there is no real need.
Yeah Hewitt is definitely up there. I just think Ferrer's consistency in the best era of tennis while possibly having one of the most limited games is incredible and unrivalled. I remember hitting with Ferrer back in 2004 (or 2003), he was still relatively unknown back then and to be honest he didn't impress me too much despite the fact that I was still young. I thought Igor Andreev (same academy) was far more impressive than him. Shows what I know. Getting to where he has gotten and staying there for this long is mind boggling.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Yeah Hewitt is definitely up there. I just think Ferrer's consistency in the best era of tennis while possibly having one of the most limited games is incredible and unrivalled. I remember hitting with Ferrer back in 2004 (or 2003), he was still relatively unknown back then and to be honest he didn't impress me too much despite the fact that I was still young. I thought Igor Andreev (same academy) was far more impressive than him. Shows what I know. Getting to where he has gotten and staying there for this long is mind boggling.
Ferrer is just a good consistent pusher with very good stamina.

Bojan11

Djokovic should have won it last year, he'll go one better this time.

His best chance was 2011 imo leading up to the French he destroyed Nadal on every clay court and then went to lose to Federer.

Yeah last year was a good chance too with him leading in final set. But I'm convinced he'd have beaten Nadal in 2011.

Been in and out of following tennis. Watched the clay tournaments leading up to this. Looking at the rankings and how the hell has Murray got to number 8.

I still think Nadal will end up winning it. Have to remember before Rome, Djokovic had the Madrid masters off. But I agree that he's been shocking with his serve and looks slower.

ZDwyr

Federer did what he needed too. Expect the major players to get through with relative ease obviously. Was hoping an Australian might do something but Gasquet will pants Tomic and Hewitt will probably go out too. Kyrgios put up a decent fight against Raonic though.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Nishikori and Klizan are playing their socks off right now. Great match, but Eurosport shows the screaming lady instead...

ZDwyr

What happened to Stan?! Woke up and he's out. Can't believe it. Is he injured?

saivet

Dimitrov out in the first round as well!

feck, in the women's I've just seen that Li Na is out in the first round as well.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If he wins this tournament he is unquestionably top 10 of all time. Not top 5 yet though.
The courts have gotten just to similar in terms of speed. Getting a carreer grand slam nowadays doesn't require as much variety as it used to in my eyes, to he'd need a couple more Major's to be considered top 10 in my opinion. He's far away from top 5.

saivet

Serena Williams a set down and now two breaks down in the second set.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
The courts have gotten just to similar in terms of speed. Getting a carreer grand slam nowadays doesn't require as much variety as it used to in my eyes, to he'd need a couple more Major's to be considered top 10 in my opinion. He's far away from top 5.
You have a fairish point with the court speed argument but it really only applies to Wimbledon… However tennis is also much more competitive. A couple more majors? Unfair. He has won a ridiculous amount of Masters Series titles as well. I would put him as top 10 of all time now possibly.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
You have a fairish point with the court speed argument but it really only applies to Wimbledon… However tennis is also much more competitive. A couple more majors? Unfair. He has won a ridiculous amount of Masters Series titles as well. I would put him as top 10 of all time now possibly.
Well, not only was Wimbledon slowed down, but also the AO - very much so - and, to a certain degree, the USO as well.
The Master's Series only began in 1990, so you can't really use that to measure players' greatness across the generations. There's a lot of brilliant players competing for a spot in the top 10 (just as an example: There are 20 players with more Majors under their belt than Novak), so Djokovic will have to come up with even more to contend. He's got plenty of time, but he's just not quite there yet.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
Well, not only was Wimbledon slowed down, but also the AO - very much so - and, to a certain degree, the USO as well.
The Master's Series only began in 1990, so you can't really use that to measure players' greatness across the generations. There's a lot of brilliant players competing for a spot in the top 10 (just as an example: There are 20 players with more Majors under their belt than Novak), so Djokovic will have to come up with even more to contend. He's got plenty of time, but he's just not quite there yet.
Well you can't really hold that against him because, by your reasoning, you can only win what is available for you to win. The fact is he has won those slams, regardless of surface changes.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Of course I don't hold it against him, to me it just means that a career grand slam isn't enough anymore to be considered top 10.

I really like what Thiem's showing today. If he can cut down on errors and get his serve to be more reliable and variable, he can easily crack the top 20 this year. Great talent.

Sadly, his serve is pretty much his downfall today... (that and the fact that he's playing Nadal)

Edit: Seriously, I'm falling in love with this guy. 2 sets down and he's still firing on all cylinders. Great power on both wings and some Federer style touches and half volleys (even a RF trademark backhand halfvolley from the baseline). Break up in the 3rd set, who'd have thought? There won't be an upset, but the future is bright.

Last edited:

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
Of course I don't hold it against him, to me it just means that a career grand slam isn't enough anymore to be considered top 10.

I really like what Thiem's showing today. If he can cut down on errors and get his serve to be more reliable and variable, he can easily crack the top 20 this year. Great talent.

Sadly, his serve is pretty much his downfall today... (that and the fact that he's playing Nadal)

Edit: Seriously, I'm falling in love with this guy. 2 sets down and he's still firing on all cylinders. Great power on both wings and some Federer style touches and half volleys (even a RF trademark backhand halfvolley from the baseline). Break up in the 3rd set, who'd have thought? There won't be an upset, but the future is bright.
I don't think he has a chance of cracking the top 20 this year. That would probably entail winning at least 3 ATP events which won't happen for him this year. Maybe next year. He's a good player.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If only he can add a little more stability and get his first serve to click, I can actually see him win a tournament or two. With a more favorable draw, he might go into the 2nd week at Wimbledon or the USO. He's got more weapons already than any other young/promising player outside the top 20 (just from the top of my head).

Maybe I'm just too biased because he reminds me a little of young Federer...