Ter Stegen

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think he's overrated or shite but others disagree. Anytime I've seen him he seems to have a mistake in him.

What say you?

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
He's no Valdes.

Actually he's just like Valdes, but he's got the Barca team in front of him, so nobody will ever notice or care.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Haven't really seen enough to judge. He's mostly played well since he joined Barça but hard to argue with Claudio Bravo being first choice at the minute either.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not convinced by him. In the CL final he looked a bit shaky. Bravo is the better keeper that's for sure.

prath92

He is average. Good Shot stopper but other aspects decent at best. Also I think mathieu is also average and that Rojo is actually better than him but that is probably not for this thread

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's young, but he's not exactly someone I'd rely upon as first choice at the moment. Still, he's better than Pinto.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He is average. Good Shot stopper but other aspects decent at best. Also I think mathieu is also average and that Rojo is actually better than him but that is probably not for this thread
Wouldn't say that. He's well rounded - good at sweeping and great with the ball at his feet. Just not as good at the basics as Bravo.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Definitely a good keeper and only 23 will improve

He only plays cup games so never has a run of games but still has played in some massive games

A big talent IMO

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Definitely a good keeper and only 23 will improve

He only plays cup games so never has a run of games but still has played in some massive games

A big talent IMO
Agree.
Long-term he will be their number one and better than Bravo anyway. It was the same with De Gea and Lindegaard here, when we had no clear number one. Bravo is of course much better than Anders though.

Cait Sith

He only played Cup games last season. Playing a 23 year old goalkeeper every few weeks in a Cup competition would make prime Buffon look shaky. It's almost impossible to assess him yet unless he starts playing week in week out. The only thing I can say about him with certainty right now is that his passing is on a different level to any other goalkeeper, Neuer included who is a better sweeper but not passer IMO.

His standout performance last season:

Sid234

Ter Stegen has lot of time to improve . Hasn't played as much since his move to Barca, and will probably get better if he gets a run in the 1st team. Bernd Leno is probably the best among the young German GK's around

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
i think he's absolute quality to be honest and I'd love him at Utd as a de Gea replacement. He's a decent sweeper, fantastic passer and a fine shotstopper which will only improve with more game time. Personally I think he should be number one as I'm not a huge fan of bravo.

Hojoon

Talent wise, I think he's in the same league as De Gea and Courtois and the most well-rounded out of all three. He hasn't progressed as well as the other two though, and it's hard to see him getting much playing time since Bravo was excellent last season and Neuer dominates between the sticks for Germany.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Talent wise, I think he's in the same league as De Gea and Courtois and the most well-rounded out of all three. He hasn't progressed as well as the other two though, and it's hard to see him getting much playing time since Bravo was excellent last season and Neuer dominates between the sticks for Germany.
I am always conflicted about him. I think that he is very talented, but the bold part becomes a bit of an issue. Next season will be important for him.

m1y2

He has a lot to do to become as good as people see him here. Great shotstopper, can't see anything that great in rest of his game..

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He has a lot to do to become as good as people see him here. Great shotstopper, can't see anything that great in rest of his game..
That just seems to be the standard linen to trot out when it comes to keepers. Ter Stegen has a few weaknesses, but it's not true to say he's just a shot stopper.

Barely any keepers around are better on the ball or sweeping than he is. It's his shotnstppping that needs work if anything.

prarek

I prefer Bravo but I think Stegen will be the better keeper in future. He's still young.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ter Stegen has lot of time to improve . Hasn't played as much since his move to Barca, and will probably get better if he gets a run in the 1st team. Bernd Leno is probably the best among the young German GK's around
Leno is currently the more consistent and solid Keeper, but Ter Stegen has a way higher ceiling.

People who describe him as just a shotstopper have not seen enough of him. His actual football skills are outstanding for a GK. Ball control, first touch and especially his passing are extremely good, which was probably also why Barca signed him. Several Barca players said about him, that his passing is better than that of a lot of their field players.

He has also very quick reflexes, which allow him to make wondersaves pretty frequently.

If I would have to pick a weakness about his game right now, it would probably be his decision making in certain situations (staying on the line or advancing) and general control of the box. These things are usually the ones which improve the most with age and experience, though.

ChaddyP

needs to be number 1 or find a new club. at the age where he needs to play all the time

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I wasn't slagging Barcelona off or La Liga. Just that the team in front of him is that good that, as with Valdes, it doesn't really matter that much how good the 'keeper is.
Wouldn't say that. A few years ago Valdés was facing (I'd guess) more one-on-one situations than most other goalkeepers around.

Barcelona didn't leak chances because of their possession, but the little chances other teams did get where usually breakaway counters.

AKDevil

I think he's overrated or shite but others disagree. Anytime I've seen him he seems to have a mistake in him.

What say you?
I started having this discussion with mates yesterday. I haven't seen enough but what I have seen is not impressive. He looks like he gets picked more for the fact he can 'play out' rather than the fact he is a good keeper.

Remember watching the game Germany U21s got spanked in the euros and then again last night. He could have done better for 3 of 4 goals.

Will be keeping a closer eye this season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I really don't know how people seriously seem to believe that he's just a shot stopper when he's probably one of the best in the world in terms of build up.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Couldn't care less about building from the back, I just think he looks shaky every tine I've seen him

But he's young and he can pass so apparently that's good

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Everytime i see him play, I always think that there's a mistake in there waiting to happen, but having said that I don't actually recall seeing made a terrible mistake.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I think he is a very good keeper, but he has made some horrendous errors in his short career (Vs. USA springs to mind). Nevertheless, in the top 10 I'd say.

crimsonife

I think he's more than decent. Considering he's still young at already at that level also shown at Gladbach he'll fairly easily displace Bravo in a few years time. Bravo is still better in commanding the box and in general but they're both top class keepers.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Love Mats, our keeper for the next decade
Had me thinking for a couple seconds how the hell you went from Marc to Mats! :lol: then got it.

Yeah, it's a weird one and shows just how important a club's gameplan/style is when choosing a GK. His passing and sweeping, plus great reflexes make him tailor made for Barca almost.

Whereas I think his decision making/communication/command of his area would struggle a bit in a more physical/direct team, where distribution from the back isn't that important.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I can't say I've paid the closest amount of attention, but have gotten the impression that he is as highly rated as he is largely part of this new standard that holds goalkeepers up against how they compare to Zidane as opposed how they compare to Schmeichel. The same is happening with centre-halves now.