Terry: Zero tackling technique

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Fair enough carrying might have been a bit strong - but there's no doubt that both Carvalho and Rio make Terry look better than he is. There's a place for defenders like Terry, but they have to be paired with someone who can read the game, organise the defence and stop attacks before they need a last ditch sliding tackle. Vidic plays a role similar to Terry for us, in that he is the bigger, braver, stronger, more aggressive of our centre backs. But I'd argue Vidic is a better defender than Terry.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that I really do not rate Terry, and it has nothing to do with my hatred of him as a player. I can't stand Gerrard, but I can accept he's a very good player. Terry simply isn't that good, and can actually be a liability a lot of the time for both Chelsea and England
Agreed mate. Vidic is a better defender than Terry, he has a bit more pace and his ability on the ball is underrated.

Merman

Not surprising that a Liverpool fan would be an advocate of the sliding challenge, when their best defender is Carragher.

So often, you see a defender dive into a slide tackle when it is unnecessary to do so. The best defenders as a rule stay on their feet. It is not a coincidence that the likes of Carvalho and Ferdinand so often stay on their feet and yet so rarely get beaten. If you commit to a slide tackle and miss, there is no getting back.

It is the preserve of a defender who has made a mistake positionally and then has to act to make a last ditch challenge. Going to ground in the tackle is, 95% of the time, unneeded.
:lol:Carra the natural defender

vuc

First Team Serb
Agreed mate. Vidic is a better defender than Terry, he has a bit more pace and his ability on the ball is underrated.
So true, not only that but Vidic himself hardly goes to ground at all, (except for last ditch blocks/clearances) his positioning is really underrated IMO and the fact that he rarely gets beaten even by pace shows that his positioning really is top notch.

vuc

First Team Serb
My take on Terry is that he is a solid centre-back but has been made to look better than he is with the players around him. I hope that Ivanovic proves himself nicely in the absence of Alex and Terry.

reddevilcanada

I disagree on the tackle yesterday, Terry has that dirty aspect to his game and I do think there was some malice in that tackle. It's just that he's the English lion and captain and therefore his thuggery gets very little attention, instead he's applauded for his bravery :rolleyes: Sure he's brave at certain times but he that's mostly due to his inability to see danger coming ahead of time and not being able to read the game as well as the likes of Rio, hence having to go into these last ditch tackles and what not a la Carragher. He's still a very good player, but a dirty one at that and of course a BIG MAN.

vuc

First Team Serb
I was at the Chelsea vs Arsenal game recently and in that match Terry made a two footed lunge on someone and got a yellow. It was definitely a red card but he got lucky cause he was at stamford bridge.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I was at the Chelsea vs Arsenal game recently and in that match Terry made a two footed lunge on someone and got a yellow. It was definitely a red card but he got lucky cause he was at stamford bridge.
Sagna. That was one of the worst tackles of the season. Shocking decision not to send him off.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Am I the only one who think Vidic is the best and most fecking accurate tackler on the planet? I haven't seen anyone like him really. Whenever he puts that tackle in and takes the ball it gets STUCK under his foot.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Terry's form has deteriorated over the last two seasons, before that he was top quality. I'm not sure why he got worse but probably the fact that he has a habit of coming back from injuries not fully healed and often plays through pain had something to do with it. The additional responsibility of being England's captain may also have been an additional stress to deal with.

The idea hat Carvalho makes Terry look better is probably correct but this principle can be applied to any central defensive pairing, the two have to complement each other.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Terry can come out less stupid in his two out of ten tackles.

Only Gerrard can do more worse.

Pun aside,he's basically an old fashioned blood and guts defender. As the names of Rio and Maldini are pointed in this thread, both are brilliant readers of the games , especially Maldini reserves this sliding tackle as only his last resort, hallmark of great defenders.

Terry he he.

SecondFig

Terry's form has deteriorated over the last two seasons, before that he was top quality. I'm not sure why he got worse but probably the fact that he has a habit of coming back from injuries not fully healed and often plays through pain had something to do with it. The additional responsibility of being England's captain may also have been an additional stress to deal with.

The idea hat Carvalho makes Terry look better is probably correct but this principle can be applied to any central defensive pairing, the two have to complement each other.
Not necessarily - in no way does Terry make Carvalho look better, it's all one way in that pairing. And that's because while Ricardo is cutting everything out before it becomes a danger, Terry puts in a couple of hollywood style-lunging-last gasp tackles that fool the Chelsea fans and national press.

But otherwise I agree with you, definitely about Terry repeatedly coming back from injuries before he's actually healed and the danger of constantly playing through the pain (being a Big Man) - he's knackered his body, and while Rio could arguably play on into his mid to late 30s I think Terry will be lucky to play past 31/32.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
Not surprising that a Liverpool fan would be an advocate of the sliding challenge, when their best defender is Carragher.

So often, you see a defender dive into a slide tackle when it is unnecessary to do so. The best defenders as a rule stay on their feet. It is not a coincidence that the likes of Carvalho and Ferdinand so often stay on their feet and yet so rarely get beaten. If you commit to a slide tackle and miss, there is no getting back.

It is the preserve of a defender who has made a mistake positionally and then has to act to make a last ditch challenge. Going to ground in the tackle is, 95% of the time, unneeded.
Maldini barely fecking tackled throughout his career, such is his ability to read the game.

Oh my God, this is hilarious. Have you ever seen a football match?

cloud218

Maldini...that man needs to have his Merit ranked up at least one more, to a 3rd class commander.

reddev07

Sickening talk by Durham on talksport before.

Said we should excuse Terry for getting a red card, because he is the England Captain and we must support him as the whole country, no matter which club we support, should want England to win the world cup as it would change football and kept stressing that we must get behind Terry blah blah

vuc

First Team Serb
Am I the only one who think Vidic is the best and most fecking accurate tackler on the planet? I haven't seen anyone like him really. Whenever he puts that tackle in and takes the ball it gets STUCK under his foot.
This is what I was saying about his positioning. He gets into the positions where he will win the ball comfortably, but when he has to slide in he makes sure he gets the ball.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses

Said we should excuse Terry for getting a red card, because he is the England Captain and we must support him as the whole country, no matter which club we support, should want England to win the world cup as it would change football and kept stressing that we must get behind Terry blah blah
So we should let Terry do whatever he wants? Makes total sense........

lesclaypool

I'm pretty sure what happens at talkSPORT (not all of the time but occasionally with some presenters, particularly Durham), is that one of them takes the obvious view (and probably his own personal one) and the other takes the complete opposite in order to be a WUM and get people calling in. I remember once when I used to listen to the station years ago, Durham conceded an argument (seriously!) at the end of one of his shows because he was laughing at how pathetic it was. Still I admire him for winding so many people up :lol:

Name Changed

weso26
I have flagged this up before and his tackle on Osman yesterday illustrates my point. I don't believe there was any malice in the challenge on Osman, but Terry went flying into a challenge when there was no need. The ball was deep in the Everton half and there was absolutely no danger to Chelsea there.

Terry tends to go flying into these sorts of challenges all the time. He kind of propels himself into the air and goes in with both arms outstretched either side of him, forming a type of starfish shape. It is awful technique. I am a firm believer that slide tackles are largely the preserve of a lumbering defender who is in danger of being outpaced. At the most, you should commit to such a tackle, if necessary to prevent a goal. But the best defenders (Ferdinand at the moment, Maldini in the past etc etc) rarely go to ground.

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if Terry slid and jumped all over the place, if he was doing it properly, but his technique is inherently flawed and that makes him a danger.

John Terry. He cannot tackle.
Some of the stuff you say is true. John Terry is a poor enough tackler and there was absolutely no malice in his tackle with Osman.

But saying that slide tackles are only for a lumbering crap defender really are ridiculous. Vidic is United's best ball winner and he regularly goes to ground to win the ball. It's not because he is lumbering, it is sometimes the best way to tackle especially when you have to go through the player to win the ball. Cannavaro was the last defender to win World Player of the Year. His slide tackles are superb. They are a joy to watch. The technique of slide tackling is one of the most important aspects in defending.

As a defender, there is no more satisfying way of winning the ball either.

Name Changed

weso26

I have never heard that lad's show but from reading all the stuff about him on here he sounds like a fecking retard. So Terry should get away with whatever he wants just because he is England captain? That happened too much in the past with Alan Shearer. Enough is enough. That kind of tackle needs to be completely outlawed and the only way to do that is for players to receive tough disciplinary consequences.