Thank you Jesse

Pearl.Jam

Nah, not for me Clive. Encapsulated all that has gone wrong with our club post Fergie, glad he is finally out

Charlie Foley

I’ll write this as kindly as I can.

I thought he was objectively a valuable member of our squad from (roughly) 2015-18. The last LVG/first Jose seasons, yeah his goals and assists were nothing special (7 goals 4 assists in 15/16, 5 and 3 in 16/17) but he worked hard for the team and, although not our main trophy objectives, he scored on 3 consecutive trips to Wembley including two lovely winners. The worst, and in hindsight most telling, behaviour I remember from him in this period was his being a gobshite on the bus at West Ham.

17/18 looking at the numbers he was a genuinely good player, 13 goals and 7 assists in 48 appearances is a good return from midfield. Looking a bit closer it took a while for him to get going that season, and most of that statistical output came between late November when we won 4-2 at Watford until the end of January. Of course, that was when Sanchez came in, which seemed to mess up our entire attacking cohesion.
2018 started the JLingz brand which was rightfully panned.

thought he had a decent World Cup that summer.

When Ole came in, like everyone else his form picked up, to the point I was genuinely disappointed when he got injured in the first leg against PSG as I felt his mobility (rather than pace as he was never lightning fast) was really important to our style under Ole. After the negativity of Jose his almost toxic joviality almost felt beneficial. Danced on the Emirates AGAIN which was hilarious and so massively got under their skin.

Then the US hotel thing happened which was embarrassing, and he’s been fairly wank ever since, though he had a really good half season at West Ham.

SER19

A really embarrassing guy. Could have kept his head down and been a much-loved important squad player like Park. Off the top of my head

The embarrasing US hotel video with rashford.

The excruciating 'beans' beatbox.

The humiliating west ham away bus video.

The tweet about 0.012%

The stupid, shrieking teenage antics from a guy near 30 and the shameless effort to 'build a brand' that nobody wanted.

Maybe the bad attitude stuff is rumours but the club certainly didn't send him away with much love and there was an awful lot of smoke for there to be no fire.

If we never have players like him and pogba again I'll be happy

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Not having this 'always tried hard' shit, he fecking hasn't the past few seasons.

Charlie Foley

A really embarrassing guy. Could have kept his head down and been a much-loved important squad player like Park. Off the top of my head

The tweet about 0.012%

The stupid, shrieking teenage antics from a guy near 30 and the shameless effort to 'build a brand' that nobody wanted.

Maybe the bad attitude stuff is rumours but the club certainly didn't send him away with much love and there was an awful lot of smoke for there to be no fire.

What was this?

OrcaFat

Why wasn’t he better?

He was capable of top performances, match-winning. His technique and physical attributes were decent.

Why couldn’t he hold down a place? It’s a bit of a mystery unless you question his attitude and application, as many have done. I’m not sure what the truth is. Possibly his confidence was easily dented. All speculation but I think his career has been worse than it might have been.

He never convinced me he was United quality and I’m not sure thanking him is appropriate. But good luck to him and hopefully he’s got three or four good years in him yet.

Kag

He's been a colossal c*ck womble for years!

He was a prized prat on his summer holidays in the US with the club warning him over his immature behavior. He routinely posted photos of his time at West Ham! He is always seen on social media being a tool around his work place, more recently confirmed as a leak and most importantly his form for the vast majority simply hasn't been good enough, color me shocked.
Sums up his time here rather succinctly.

clarkydaz

The tweet about 0.012%

Ahh yes, remember he told us he 'broke the mould for the new gen', or something

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Good player, always enjoyed seeing local lads play and he’s sorted a lot of my mates out in the local area. Will be a big miss and thank you for all the memories!

SER19

What was this?

When he and rashford Tweeted the percentage figure of those who make it to professional football, in response to criticism. Said everything that was needed about their ambition - they play PL and that's enough. Don't care if they win beyond that

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
An Average player we were proud to have developed from a child, should have worked harder to improve as a player, would have gone down in club history as a great squad player, but focused too much of his time and attention on his brand.

Thanks jesse for the effort on field, for the comedic moments off field, good luck in your next venture, hopefully you go on to win things.

AFC NimbleThumb

He scored a goal, what about the rest of the shite ….one born every minute
You said. . .
Thank you for feck all
He scored the winning goal [sorry, a goal] in a [numerous] cup final, so he did more than ‘feck all’. Your comment is nonsensical. Things didn’t work out & he has a role to play in it doing so [though I’d argue he was never of the required quality for where we should be aiming] but bar DdG & perhaps Phil Jones the rest of the squad have done ‘feck all’ so be sure to keep that energy up in every player thread.

Manchester lad, scores 3 goals in 3at Wembley for United. Did feck all apparently. This fanbase is hard to feel sorry for.

Wilt

You said. . .

He scored the winning goal [sorry, a goal] in a [numerous] cup final, so he did more than ‘feck all’. Your comment is nonsensical. Things didn’t work out & he has a role to play in it doing so [though I’d argue he was never of the required quality for where we should be aiming] but bar DdG & perhaps Phil Jones the rest of the squad have done ‘feck all’ so be sure to keep that energy up in every player thread.

Manchester lad, scores 3 goals in 3at Wembley for United. Did feck all apparently. This fanbase is hard to feel sorry for.
Regarded by many as a poisonous man child who’s seemingly more interested in showing off his ‘bling’ and millionaire lifestyle instead of keeping his head down and trying to act like a professional footballer.

Some people are happy to buy into all that bullshit ….whereas others see a self absorbed twat.

Utd don’t need players like that. Good riddance.

AFC NimbleThumb

Regarded by many as a poisonous man child who’s seemingly more interested in showing off his ‘bling’ and millionaire lifestyle instead of keeping his head down and trying to act like a professional footballer.

Some people are happy to buy into all that bullshit ….whereas others see a self absorbed twat.

Utd don’t need players like that. Good riddance.
‘A poisonous man child by so many’, care to post direct quotes from those who’ve worked with him? No you can’t because as per it’s a narrative based on a few social media posts & feck all else because he became [one of] the poster children for the teams failures.

You talk about people buying into bullshit, whilst your first post is something you’ve made up in your head. Ironic. The bling isn’t the issue, it’s the lack of performance on the field but people like yourself create narratives based on nothing because you can’t comprehend nuance. You’ve labelled him a ‘self absorbed twat’ & a ‘poisonous man child’ based on what exactly? Nonsense like this is what the fanbase doesn’t deserve, the guy fell short of expectations & didn’t do himself justice for the latter stages of his time here; name calling is infantile. Players failing at United previously were seen as such, simply not good enough but since we aren’t performing as a team children like yourself can’t comprehend that players not being good enough for the team doesn’t make them bad people. We had some unsavoury characters in our winning sides, the difference is they won so no one pretending to care that much about much else off it.

Back to your initial post though. I expect to see the forks out for a few of the lads who literally won feck all in the team next season or is it really about a dislike of bling culture I wonder.

*I don’t even particularly rate Lingard the player but idiocy like saying a player that scored 3 times for the club at Wembley did ‘feck all’ is ludicrous.

Hayton

You said. . .

he’s from Warrington. Half Scouse.

The Original

‘A poisonous man child by so many’, care to post direct quotes from those who’ve worked with him? No you can’t because as per it’s a narrative based on a few social media posts & feck all else because he became [one of] the poster children for the teams failures.

You talk about people buying into bullshit, whilst your first post is something you’ve made up in your head. Ironic. The bling isn’t the issue, it’s the lack of performance on the field but people like yourself create narratives based on nothing because you can’t comprehend nuance. You’ve labelled him a ‘self absorbed twat’ & a ‘poisonous man child’ based on what exactly? Nonsense like this is what the fanbase doesn’t deserve, the guy fell short of expectations & didn’t do himself justice for the latter stages of his time here; name calling is infantile. Players failing at United previously were seen as such, simply not good enough but since we aren’t performing as a team children like yourself can’t comprehend that players not being good enough for the team doesn’t make them bad people. We had some unsavoury characters in our winning sides, the difference is they won so no one pretending to care that much about much else off it.

Back to your initial post though. I expect to see the forks out for a few of the lads who literally won feck all in the team next season or is it really about a dislike of bling culture I wonder.

*I don’t even particularly rate Lingard the player but idiocy like saying a player that scored 3 times for the club at Wembley did ‘feck all’ is ludicrous.
Once people here decide they don't like a player they go to incredible lengths to diminish said player's contributions.

Craig Ward

Could anything have been done differently to save Jessie?
No, nothing at all.

I'd say he's lasted in and around utd's 1st team squad for about 7-8 years longer than he should have.

35 career goals for us i'm sure i read somewhere. 35 - he's an attacking player remember. 35 goals and he's what, 29? Abysmal

utd have had hundreds of good prospects come along, make the odd appearance then veer off elsewhere and have good level careers. Hundreds. Lingard should have been one of them - complete horror show he's lasted here this long and a prime example of how poorly run we are.

Macheda had a few good games for us, should he have stayed an extra 8 years just incase he came good? We could reel off about 50 names without thinking too hard about players who break through look promising but ultimately move on after a season.

Quite sickening that Lingard has lasted this long - makes us look like a bit of a joke. We are not ruthless enough these days about letting players go.

Jones, Bailly, lindelof, Martial, Tuanzebe, Williams can all bore off too. Not needed, not good enough. Get out the door

Craig Ward

Can you guess how many Park scored without checking?
Not as many as Lingard or you wouldnt ask. In the 20's i'd imagine.

And in less games, while being used in a variety of roles i'd also imagine. Park was known for his workrate and defensive capabilities, despite playing high up the pitch.

Lingard is an attacker.

Not sure what your getting at but they're not comparable players at all. One busted a gut every game, was a true team player who is known for his workrate and professionalism, the other is Jesse Lingard

mu4c_20le

Not as many as Lingard or you wouldnt ask. In the 20's i'd imagine.

And in less games, while being used in a variety of roles i'd also imagine. Park was known for his workrate and defensive capabilities, despite playing high up the pitch.

Lingard is an attacker.

Not sure what your getting at but they're not comparable players at all. One busted a gut every game, was a true team player who is known for his workrate and professionalism, the other is Jesse Lingard
He used to be known for his work rate though, as well as off the ball movement. The point is that goals alone don't tell the full story, and his numbers aren't actually as bad as twitter would have you believe. Especially if you take off the year and a half when he had some problems off the field, something to do with his mum.

mikeyt

Had a couple of half decent seasons outside of that he's bang average and always has been. The difference is he clearly thought he was better than he actually was. He got game time because he ran more than others for a while. He got away with being disruptive in recent seasons due to weak leadership. Pleased we're rid.

AFC NimbleThumb

Once people here decide they don't like a player they go to incredible lengths to diminish said player's contributions.
Exactly.

This is the problem with the whole discussion around our players these days. You’re having debates with people that have wedded themselves to points of view that go no further than, I don’t like bling so whoever they feel represents that becomes ‘insert personal insult despite no proof here’. I doubt many people wanted Lingard to stay for footballing reasons but to say he’s done ‘feck all’ isn’t simply an opinion, it’s outright nonsense.

Wilt

You talk about people buying into bullshit, whilst your first post is something you’ve made up in your head. Ironic. T

This is the problem with the whole discussion around our players these days. You’re having debates with people that have wedded themselves to points of view that go no further than, I don’t like bling so whoever they feel represents that becomes ‘insert personal insult despite no proof here’. I doubt many people wanted Lingard to stay for footballing reasons but to say he’s done ‘feck all’ isn’t simply an opinion, it’s outright nonsense.
Christ, you again.

If you’re going to quote people, get it right. I’ve no objection to bling as such ….just don’t flaunt it.

You latched onto my original comment “thank you for feck all“ like a fly around shit. All because in your opinion he scored important goals at Wembley, which I can understand, indeed he scored some good goals but his overall stats are piss poor.

What’s worse imo, Lingard was actually one of Utd’s more gifted players, pity he wasted it.

Giggsy13

What's nice is that his highlight video is so short, so its not time consuming at all to go over his fairly limited and forgettable United career.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He used to be known for his work rate though, as well as off the ball movement. The point is that goals alone don't tell the full story, and his numbers aren't actually as bad as twitter would have you believe. Especially if you take off the year and a half when he had some problems off the field, something to do with his mum.
Park worked way way way harder than Lingard and without all the childish bullshit. Park was another leader on the pitch. Lingard is a social media star who plays football when his heart is in it.

Last edited:

lex talionis

We should have sold this clown a long time ago. But here we are today and as he takes his vaunted branded useless crap no one wants — and I can’t imagine anyone doing that idiotic JL thing with their fingers as they hang out with mates on Saturday nights — best wishes!

Ted Lasso

Could anything have been done differently to save Jessie?
Yes. It's 1000% attitude and mentality. He would have left the club long before SAF if he didn't have immense talent. The potential was not realized because his attitude was trash.

Can I blame him? Of course a large degree. But a lot of it was also the squad around him by the time he got his run. Di Maria. Pogba. Martial. Lukaku. Shaw. Maguire. What a rotten lot that epitomizes the worst of the club this last decade - loads of ability without the grit and an remarkable level of self adulation.

His humbling move to West Ham surrounded by players fighting for David feckin Moyes of all people and Jesse shuts the fck up and scores a dozen goals like it's nothing.

Yeah that's a sad sad waste of talent. Honestly should have left United for his own good years ago.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes. It's 1000% attitude and mentality. He would have left the club long before SAF if he didn't have immense talent. The potential was not realized because his attitude was trash.
What do you think was his potential?

I think he made good use of his talent, played for top club in PL for many years, played very important role in 2 cup wins and scored some fantastic goals. I don't think many thought he will be the key player in big clubs, more like a squad player. He was a squad player and he didn't want to be that anymore, can't blame him for that as he is easily good enough starter for most PL clubs.

Also the attitude thing is very simple, results are good - Everyone's attitude is awesome. Results are bad then it's a rotten squad with terrible attitude. It's so simplified by fans.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Park worked way way way harder than Lingard and without all the childish bullshit. Park was another leader on the pitch. Lingard is a social media star who plays football when his heart is in it.
Its not even that far apart either, Lingard has 7 more goals for United having played 30 more games.

Also, Park has 8 more assists, so more goal contributions in less games whilst also working so hard he had the nickname "three lung" - meanwhile Jlingz is Beanz.

To compare Park to Lingard is an insult to Park.

Keefy18