Thank you Van Gaal Thread

Petr1

Thank you van Gaal for making me prioritize my studies in the weekends. Enjoy your retirement ;)

VP

He almost won the CL only a few years ago.

The more I watch England playing and listen to the pundits, the clearer it becomes that allthough in his 60's, the English aren't ready for such modern idea's yet. Or maybe it's not even a question of time, but is thinking and playing football at the same time not something the English will ever learn.
You are seriously deluded or an admirably persistent WUM.

LVG is the Dutch Big Sam - a mediocre football manager dressing up shite football as something modern.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
LVG is the Dutch Big Sam - a mediocre football manager dressing up shite football as something modern.
In fairness, 20 years ago, with Ajax, he did something special with those youngsters.
He did win titles with Bayern and Barca, though. AZ, too.
The problem with all of this is that it was all a long time ago. That's why I believe he is a dinosaur.

Honest John

Cheers Louis for being so bad they terminated your contract which meant that we have now got a manager befitting the club.
Had you have been 3 points better then we may have had another year to wait and endure 'philosophical' football.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

There are two extremes here: Dr Funskenstein is very pro van Gaal, but what i've bolded is rubbish, i'm sorry. You don't win 7 league titles across three different countries by being mediocre. The United job, which he failed at, was one job too many.

EvilIrwin

Cheers Louis for being so bad they terminated your contract which meant that we have now got a manager befitting the club.
Had you have been 3 points better then we may have had another year to wait and endure 'philosophical' football.
Even if he managed an extra point to get 4th spot, he would have still been shown the door, I have no doubt. Would have been mixed emotions for the last week though, ecstatic to make 4th spot pipping Man City but horrified by the thought he may actually end up staying another season after winning the FA Cup.
The Mourinho rumours were more than just rumours, he was available, he wanted the Utd job and the ball was in Ed's court to make it happen.
The fact I and many on here were more happy about LVG's sacking being pretty much confirmed just minutes after winning the FA Cup says it all.

Bugshot

Ridiculous post.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He's just not a very good manager which is why he keeps getting sacked. The man oversaw the worst football I've seen a United team play in my lifetime and did so without any remorse - I have no gratitude and little sympathy.

He's essentially the Dutch Sam Allardyce - an arrogant man promoting shite football who's only value are unintentional comedy moments
He once was a very good manager but a lack of adaptability was his downfall .

His stint here was abysmal and very few will remember it fondly.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders

I've said it before. LvG doesn't have to prove anymore he can be successful without United, it's for United to prove it can be successful without Ferguson.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He'd be gone either way even if we had been a few points better off. It wasn't close to being good enough.

K2K

He almost won the CL only a few years ago.

The more I watch England playing and listen to the pundits, the clearer it becomes that allthough in his 60's, the English aren't ready for such modern idea's yet. Or maybe it's not even a question of time, but is thinking and playing football at the same time not something the English will ever learn.
He got to the final but Bayern were completely outclassed by Mourinho's Inter. More possession but Inter has more chances and Should be have scored more than the 2 goals they got.

And having a pop at English football while Dutch football is a complete mess right now is laughable. And its been in decline for years too.

VP

There are two extremes here: Dr Funskenstein is very pro van Gaal, but what i've bolded is rubbish, i'm sorry. You don't win 7 league titles across three different countries by being mediocre. The United job, which he failed at, was one job too many.
Ridiculous post.
Sometime the best way to deal with hyperbole is more hyperbole. But the point remains, the man has got sacked four times, his players consistently complain about his poor leadership qualities and he's driven major football powerhouses - Barca, Holland (2002) and United - to their lowest points in decades. In no universe is he an amazing manager, especially when we consider that his greatest success (Ajax) coincided with the emergence of a once-in-a-lifetime generation of players.

I've said it before. LvG doesn't have to prove anymore he can be successful without United, it's for United to prove it can be successful without Ferguson.
What are you on about? Why are you comparing a club with a manager?

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
He got to the final but Bayern were completely outclassed by Mourinho's Inter. More possession but Inter has more chances and Should be have scored more than the 2 goals they got.
If it wasn't for another spineless English referee it could have been a different story. But you are talking shit here again, Bayern wasn't playing as well as in the weeks before, but the match was balanced and could have gone both ways

And having a pop at English football while Dutch football is a complete mess right now is laughable. And its been in decline for years too.
I agree Van Gaal's brilliance disguised the lack of quality players in this generation, I mean from 3rd to not qualifying makes it clear how important a manager can be. But the in England well respected Hiddink couldn't even beat Iceland and Turkey with about the same players Van Gaal beat Spain.

Dutch football is mostly in decline for financial and political reasons. If the Brexit happens and the pound weakens a decline of English football is inevitable. English clubs are already second best when it comes to buying (and having to sell) the very best players. When you can't go just wave your valuable pounds around and drain the continent from it's talents, the TV-money will decline rapidly also and when the foreign managers aren't attracted by the money anymore, the tactical level will drop to pre-PL standards, from which only Ferguson managed to escape.

Several times the population size, and you need one of the (actually quite regular) spells of self destruction by the Dutch to boast about slightly outperforming them? You are at Wales level ffs, the English national team has been nowhere near the Dutch over the last 40 years. You really want to go there? That's not because the Dutch are natural born footballers, but because of tactical guile and innovation and good schooling of youngsters, the things Van Gaal tried to bring to United.

He once was a very good manager but a lack of adaptability was his downfall .
I agree, but concerning football, mostly not his own lack of adaptability.

His stint here was abysmal and very few will remember it fondly.
Maybe it will remembered as United's last and final chance to restore greatness.

Sometime the best way to deal with hyperbole is more hyperbole. But the point remains, the man has got sacked four times, his players consistently complain about his poor leadership qualities and he's driven major football powerhouses - Barca, Holland (2002) and United - to their lowest points in decades. In no universe is he an amazing manager, especially when we consider that his greatest success (Ajax) coincided with the emergence of a once-in-a-lifetime generation of players.
No, it's your universe where there's no place for facts. You can't manage to make a point without twisting the facts or just outright making them up.

What are you on about? Why are you comparing a club with a manager?
Because there appears to have been a mismatch between club and manager. At least it didn't work out, that happens, in the end didn't manage to get the thinking players his style needs and failed to keep momentum with his new style. I'm sure the idea that the manager was just shit is very reassuring for you, but the problem is much bigger than that. Bayern sacked Van Gaal too, but at least they were stuck with their choice for the direction of the club. The years that Bayern is a possession based attacking team and each year one of the favorites to win the CL started by hiring Van Gaal and the change to his style of football and the choice for youngsters. United just picks a big name has been like it's a guarantee for success, breaks with the new style and stops the development of the academy and to spend big on players who aren't wanted by Real, Barca or even another English club.

I don't really mind the sacking that much, I think it's a shame that it didn't work out, but in hindsight I think he failed to keep and gain momentum after the spring of 2015 and sign a playmaker who not only understood enough of the style to do his basic job in it, but who really understands the possibilities of it and make it fluent and very creative. Sacking is also an inherent risk of the way he is, the job he does is always about change and that will never be a smooth process. What I do mind is that United isn't continuing the chosen direction of a passing game and young players.

So the question remains, can United be successfull without Ferguson? There's no reason at all to take it for granted and the choices this board made don't make the future look any brighter to me.

K2K

If it wasn't for another spineless English referee it could have been a different story. But you are talking shit here again, Bayern wasn't playing as well as in the weeks before, but the match was balanced and could have gone both ways

I agree Van Gaal's brilliance disguised the lack of quality players in this generation, I mean from 3rd to not qualifying makes it clear how important a manager can be. But the in England well respected Hiddink couldn't even beat Iceland and Turkey with about the same players Van Gaal beat Spain.

Dutch football is mostly in decline for financial and political reasons. If the Brexit happens and the pound weakens a decline of English football is inevitable. English clubs are already second best when it comes to buying (and having to sell) the very best players. When you can't go just wave your valuable pounds around and drain the continent from it's talents, the TV-money will decline rapidly also and when the foreign managers aren't attracted by the money anymore, the tactical level will drop to pre-PL standards, from which only Ferguson managed to escape.

Several times the population size, and you need one of the (actually quite regular) spells of self destruction by the Dutch to boast about slightly outperforming them? You are at Wales level ffs, the English national team has been nowhere near the Dutch over the last 40 years. You really want to go there? That's not because the Dutch are natural born footballers, but because of tactical guile and innovation and good schooling of youngsters, the things Van Gaal tried to bring to United.

I agree, but concerning football, mostly not his own lack of adaptability.

Maybe it will remembered as United's last and final chance to restore greatness.

No, it's your universe where there's no place for facts. You can't manage to make a point without twisting the facts or just outright making them up.

Because there appears to have been a mismatch between club and manager. At least it didn't work out, that happens, in the end didn't manage to get the thinking players his style needs and failed to keep momentum with his new style. I'm sure the idea that the manager was just shit is very reassuring for you, but the problem is much bigger than that. Bayern sacked Van Gaal too, but at least they were stuck with their choice for the direction of the club. The years that Bayern is a possession based attacking team and each year one of the favorites to win the CL started by hiring Van Gaal and the change to his style of football and the choice for youngsters. United just picks a big name has been like it's a guarantee for success, breaks with the new style and stops the development of the academy and to spend big on players who aren't wanted by Real, Barca or even another English club.

I don't really mind the sacking that much, I think it's a shame that it didn't work out, but in hindsight I think he failed to keep and gain momentum after the spring of 2015 and sign a playmaker who not only understood enough of the style to do his basic job in it, but who really understands the possibilities of it and make it fluent and very creative. Sacking is also an inherent risk of the way he is, the job he does is always about change and that will never be a smooth process. What I do mind is that United isn't continuing the chosen direction of a passing game and young players.

So the question remains, can United be successfull without Ferguson? There's no reason at all to take it for granted and the choices this board made don't make the future look any brighter to me.
:lol:

Yeah right. It was Howard Webb that led to Inter having more chances and scoring two more goals . Its got nothing to do with Mourinho having tactically outwitted Van Gaal in everyone of their encounters and Van Gaal having a grand total of zero wins against our manager. The level of delusion is strong here.Good riddance to him though,and possibly to such similar rants seeing as you have already declared that your interest in United will wane with Van Gaal's departure.

I always love at this made up permutations of how things will get worse in the future due to some scenario someone has synthesized in their head. Well English football may or may not turn out like that,Dutch football is a less now though .

VP

Of course we will be successful - in the same way Barca and Bayern have been once they were liberated from Van Gaal. It'll take time though given the damage inflicted first by Moyes and then LVG. You, of course, will attribute any future United success to LVG's time here.

Let's never forget, this is the clown who thought Phil Jones should take corners, Ashley Young is a centre forward and Nick Powell can be a match-winning sub.

K2K

Of course we will be successful - in the same way Barca and Bayern have been once they were liberated from Van Gaal. It'll take time though given the damage inflicted first by Moyes and then LVG. You, of course, will attribute any future United success to LVG's time here.

Let's never forget, this is the clown who thought Phil Jones should take corners, Ashley Young is a centre forward and Nick Powell can be a match-winning sub.
We'll be fine.

Bayern hired a former Champions league winner after their Van Gaal stint and that really worked out well for them .We've hired a two time winner so we have given ourselves a good chance.

Mourinho had his weaknesses ,but he is the first world class manager we've hired post Sir Alex. It's not foolproof,but it's a start.

R'hllor

What a train wreck of a post,Dutch Big Sam :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
A manager who has won the league with 4 clubs and trophy with every club he has managed and who until today came closest to defending the CL is the Dutch Big Sam.
And that's before we even consider style of play or youth development.

Cool.

What next?

prath92

Will never forgive him for selling Rafael.
Why? He was injured quite a lot and needed to be sold. It wasn't even as if he was world class or something that we keep him like Sturridge at pool.

VP

Perhaps I got carried away and being too harsh on Big Sam...I'm sure he'd have finished top four with our squad.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
No, as I just pointed out, unlike Bayern United decided to switch to a whole different approach after they sacked him.

:lol:

Yeah right. It was Howard Webb that led to Inter having more chances and scoring two more goals . Its got nothing to do with Mourinho having tactically outwitted Van Gaal in everyone of their encounters and Van Gaal having a grand total of zero wins against our manager. The level of delusion is strong here.Good riddance to him though,and possibly to such similar rants seeing as you have already declared that your interest in United will wane with Van Gaal's departure.
It depended on who his successor would be, but my interest in United has never been and will never be independant from the kind of football that is played. That's the 'privilege' of people who are born into supporter of this club, and didn't become it because of the football played. I've blamed Van Gaal for not beeing at the touchline, because given the spinelessness of the English referees you need to put at least as much pressure on them as the opponent's manager to get balanced refereeing. But I don't particularly look forward to Mourinho because that's a very important part of his success in the past, as was his former image of invincibility. And if Webb had any spine Inter would have been down to 10 men in the 1st half, Robben would still have been suffering from a serious knock, but it would have been a different game of course.

I always love at this made up permutations of how things will get worse in the future due to some scenario someone has synthesized in their head. Well English football may or may not turn out like that,Dutch football is a less now though .
In football substance there's really not much to be proud of. The clubs are seriously underachieving compared to the money the have, and the national team's performances are quite embarrassing if you look at the potential of such a population. I'm not complaining, with the simplistic football view by the influential media spurring optimism and the English enthousiasm for betting, it's just free money beeing handed out every two years.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It probably cost us top 4 with how thin the squad was.

Thank you for getting us Mourinho
:lol: Well, the main issue is not our youth but the under-performing experienced players like Rooney, Schweini, Mata & Schneiderlin imho.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
:lol: Well, the main issue is not our youth but the under-performing experienced players like Rooney, Schweini, Mata & Schneiderlin imho.
Either way it was Vangle's fault. A thank you thread is mental considering the shit job he did

Although I do appreciate the fact he got us Mourinho and will always respect him for that

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Either way it was Vangle's fault. A thank you thread is mental considering the shit job he did

Although I do appreciate the fact he got us Mourinho and will always respect him for that
This thread reminds me the rejection letters for the applicants :mad::o

Dear LVG:

We appreciate your interest/job in MUFC and the position of coach for which you worked. After reviewing your results last seasons & the applications received by Jorge Manuel Mendes, yours was not selected for further consideration.

The board appreciates the time you invested. We encourage you to retire from football or apply for posted and advertised positions advertised in the French league, for which you qualify

Ed W.

Crustanoid

I'd rather thank the makers of the Star Wars prequels for creating Jar Jar Binks than give any semblence of appreciation to this shambolic nutter

stevoc

Why? He was injured quite a lot and needed to be sold. It wasn't even as if he was world class or something that we keep him like Sturridge at pool.
Well Rafael was a great right back, exciting player to watch and clearly loved the club. Did he need to be replaced in the first team? Yes his injuries made him unreliable.

But i think what makes his sale annoying for some though is not only is his replacement shit (so far) he's also been injured basically as much as Rafael.

In hindsight we should have signed Darmian and kept Rafael, we have no other right backs. Maybe then we wouldn't have had to play wingers/youngsters there in loads of matches last year if we had.

P.S. if Sturridge is world class so is Rafael, truth is neither are.

Seveneric

The idiot is gone and will thankfully never grace this club with his rubbish, why is this still raging. I guess SantiagoKinderEgg and Dr. Whatever will now run off and become supporters of Van Gaal's home in Portugal

Miscemayl

The football wasn't great but he's way better than Big Sam.

Let's not forget LVG won us our first proper silverware post SAF.

Thank you for getting rid of the deadwoods. Apart from Hernandez, and perhaps Kagawa, every one sold has performed poorly since leaving OT.

He bought Shaw, Martial and a couple of useful squad players, giving Mourinho a decent base to start with. He might not be able to use them as well as expected, but plenty agreed with his signings.

Lastly, he gave youth a proper chance. The fact Rashford is at the Euro now is thanks to him. People can say he had no choice but if he wasn't determined to give youth a chance and trimmed the squad at the start of the season, Rashford would never have played.

So THANK YOU, and hope you enjoy your retirement

shabz

Thank you LVG for giving the youth a chance when the board would have probably backed you in January, for improving Smalling, for purchasing Martial and leaving us feeling positive about the squad now Mourinho has got his hands on it.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
First I have been on since he was sacked. I always liked him and think in regards to his job, he did an okay job, I think we will appreciate his work in a few years time. Had to go though and really should have gone at Christmas. Didn't deserve some of the abuse he got though. Glad he left with the cup win but disappointed he wasn't able to enjoy it for a few days at least.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thank you LVG, one of my favorite character in football. Should have gone last december but I do like what he did to United in parts. Have a nice retirement.