Thank you Van Gaal Thread

adamwest

That run last year was something special. Crushing Spurs 3-0, the dominant 2-1 against Pool at Anfield (on my birthday nonetheless), the 4-2 against City. Definitely the best moment in his reign, but even then it seemed to happen by accident. Young and Fellaini were pulling up trees during those games. This season we have bored every man, woman and child to death playing a game that should entertain. Yes we scraped wins here and there but they felt so dirty. Stumbling upon Rashford was a beautiful accident as he genuinely looks to be a proper player, but that was a fluke on the mangers part, not to his choosing. He deserves credit for the constant faith placed in Lingard, CBJ and latterly Tim Mensah that has to be said, but bloody hell by and large we have been cack for 2 years under him. LOVED the glory of today so cheers for that Louis.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I am insistent that Louis has done a better job than it seems right now. I know it's been ugly and hard slog to watch and sit through but in that time he's reached minimum targets across the 2 year period (1 trophy, 1 UCL and 1 non UCL to continue the Adidas contract without financial punishment) and he's reshaped the squad entirely, reducing the average age and wage outlay considerably.

Only time will prove this but we are all far better for having Louis van Gaal manage and craft our club in the way he has than not having it at all. Especially after basically hitting the iceberg with Moyes.

Thank you Aloysius Paulus Maria van Gaal. I will miss you.
I think he steadied the ship after Moyes left a mess. I really like the fact so many youngsters got a chance as well. His football bored me to tears and even though I am constantly baracking for him to leave i think within the context of what he walked into and his 2 years here he did a good job all things considered. He leaves us in better shape than when he took over i think.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Thanks for 3 things.

1. The fa cup trophy

2. Buying martial

3. Your legendary dive

Otherwise you'll be long forgotten, enjoy the wine and retirement.

El Zoido

I feel bad for him. I've wanted him gone for months but he's just won us the cup and should at least have the weekend to celebrate. The news breaking tonight is not fair on him.

nick2004

I don't feel like thanking him for anything.

He got a few millions in his pocket and I got a year of booooring football. It was torture to watch our games this season. What should I thank him for?

Good bye.

Untied

He brought us the first trophy post-Ferguson. That will always be an important achievement

Born2Lose

My only regret is that it's happened like this, I'd have much preferred if he'd been allowed to step down by mutual consent on Monday rather than this mess.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think he steadied the ship after Moyes left a mess. I really like the fact so many youngsters got a chance as well. His football bored me to tears and even though I am constantly baracking for him to leave i think within the context of what he walked into and his 2 years here he did a good job all things considered. He leaves us in better shape than when he took over i think.
I agree with this. Granted the football on the whole has been dreadful but I think we'll see that bedding in the likes of Rashford, Mensah, Lingard, Martial, Cbj will be important in the long run. Got us a trophy in the end too! Upto Mourinho now to keep this going.

spwd

Thankyou Louis for trying but you were nowhere near good enough for us, enjoy the cup and your retirement :)

ken11

LVG thanks all of you for the $5 million he's about to receive.

JackXX

I had a lot of high hopes for him but clearly didn't work out. Shame but very happy he won the FA Cup.

Edit: and happy retirement if that's the decision he makes

The White Pele

Thank you Louis for:

• The FA Cup win
  • The victories over City and Liverpool after being humiliated under Moyes
  • Last season's Player of the Year Award speech
  • Blooding young players like Rashford, Lingard, Borthwick-Jackson, McNair etc
  • Anthony Martial
  • The fall against Arsenal
  • "Mike" Smalling
  • Clearing the wage bill
Unfortunately it's not been good enough but no doubt he has given his best.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Cheers Louie.

Beating Arsenal at Old Trafford this season with a bunch of kids was one of the best United moments in years.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Congratulations on the Cup win and enjoy retirement.

I've said a lot about the car crash his tenure has been, but now that Mourinho is here, I want to forget all about it and start from scratch.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All in all... did alright for us looking forward
Leaves with a trophy, and integrated loads of youngsters into the team that no other manager would have given chances too. So thanks!

C'est Moi Cantona

Nope, not having any sentiment at all, he has just bout killed my love for the game this season, and he has been an arrogant excuse making so and so whilst doing it.

Have a long and happy retirement, but you won't be missed by me.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Football's been pretty shit but he's a likeable guy and he helped bring United fans the most joyous moment we've had in 3 or 4 years.

Thanks Louis.

Witchking

Could have ended up as a great coach for United, but finishes as just average. If only he was not so egoistic / adamant and if he had removed Rooney, he would have fared better.

I wish him a great retirement. He is a through gentleman. Am very pissed off about Jose / Mendes camp taking away his time by hijacking the celebrations.

Fecking idiots.

NJM78

Glad you are going, hated your philosophy, made watching the team I love painfully shite. So enjoy Portugal and the FA Cup win and most importantly don't come back.

Utd7

Taking the animosity out of the equation, he did some positive things. He brought in Martial, gave Rashford and Mensah their opportunities to shine and left with a trophy.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I like him as a character and I'm happy for him he got to end on a high. Without meaning to spout all that "foundations" shit I do think in years to come people will look back on his time here and say he did some good things.

I hope he already knew he was gone before today and hasn't had his celebrations ruined with the leak.

Thank you Louis!

Donut

It's easy to be classy now that we know he's gone, but I really hated his guts for the past year. Such a stuborn weird guy. It could have been so much better, if only he was more flexible and could see the obvious.

Thanks for the cup and the youngsters.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He brought us into the champions league in his first season, got us playing football on the ground confidently from the back and delivered a major trophy in his second year..

It wasn't enough in today's ruthless world of football and I believe it would have been enough in fergies time easily. I think the arrival of Conte pep klopp and wenger left the board no choice.

Thank you LVG. A true and passionate gent about football in its purest form.

Cantonaaa!

Thank you Louis for:

• The FA Cup win
  • The victories over City and Liverpool after being humiliated under Moyes
  • Last season's Player of the Year Award speech
  • Blooding young players like Rashford, Lingard, Borthwick-Jackson, McNair etc
  • Anthony Martial
  • The fall against Arsenal
  • "Mike" Smalling
  • Clearing the wage bill
Unfortunately it's not been good enough but no doubt he has given his best.
This + I'm sure he's taught the lads some usefull things as well. After all he is a legend in the game. Shame it didn't work out as well as it could have for us, but after Sir Alex we were/are still bound to have some 'miserable' years and it's clearly not an easy job for any manager. Let's hope José can take us back to the top.

untitled_6899

I think he wanted to give his best from the moment he arrived but though he had a few positives he also could have done a lot better in some areas

Bad:
- Couldn't mount a serious title challenge
- Fell out with players constsantly
- Restricted players expression and installed a dreadful playing style
- Had a poor relationship with the media
- Was very stubborn and slow to make changes
- Poor away record
- Poor attacking display (especially against smaller teams)

Good:
- Good record against top 4-6
- Gave United a good defensive shape
- Steadied the ship after Moyes
- Introduced a few decent youngsters

Overall we've not really progressed as we would like but we may still benefit from a few of the things that van Gaal brought during his time here

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I may not like him as manager and was in LVG Out side since West ham game last season where LVG had that stats press conference, but he has done something positive at the end of the day.
Guys like Rash, TFM, CBJ got their chances under him and the world now knows of their potential. Atleast 2 of these could have so easily slipped under the radar and be sold under any other manager. He did get the best out of Smalling. Young produced some of his finest football in Utd shirt last season, we signed Martial and Shaw.
But most importantly, we weren't embroiled in any controversy. And for that, I am thankful to Louis Van Gaal

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Thx for the:
  • FA cup
  • signing Martial
  • Screwing up that deadline day fax to Real Madrid for De Gea
  • Introducing Rashford, Fosu and CBJ in the team
But most off all thank you for finally sodding off because I won't be missing the philosophy were we try to win games without scoring goals

Ow and feck you for trying to lower the expectations at the club by blaming the fans

MoskvaRed

He's a strange bloke but I liked him on the whole (even if I didn't like his football). We'll be able to judge his legacy better over the next few seasons but my impression is that he has left us in a decent place. Midfield is still mediocre but I reckon Jose could win us the title next year with a couple of good buys. All in all, it hasn't really worked out but that is with the benefit of hindsight, unlike the Moyes appointment which anyone with more than two functioning brain cells could see would be a disaster,

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
He's mental, creates boring tactics, but the players seem to really like him. He's completely passive for ages on the bench but then will go batshit crazy. He plays shit players for ages, in ignorance of better players, puts players out of position, does utterly infuriating things, and will never be persuaded differently, but for tonight, I'll thank him.

Thanks for introducing some potentially excellent youth players. Thanks for bringing in some excellent players... shame about some of the others. Thanks for making me laugh, shame about me shouting at the screen cos you're loopy.

I wish you well in your retirement in Portugal. You have brought a lot of joy and insanity to football, and you should be remembered as much. I think I've liked you as a manager, but not always sure I've liked having you as a manager of my club.

Kag

I like him and have lots of time for him. I have done for the duration. He's looked fed up for months and I wish him all the best in his retirement. He's a genuinely good bloke that didn't quite hit the benchmark. No shame in that.

WyoManU

Feck me we have some soft fans. I am finally happy now that he is leaving. Was absolutely toxic for our club which should be what we actually care about.