THAT penalty shootout

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i remember the ashley cole penalty clearly, in less than a second it seemed to be in, then saved, then out, then it crept in.
heart sank when VDS went the wrong way on terry, didn't expect the post to get in the way.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Christ. Ronaldo's penalty was awful wasn't it. He ran. Stopped, stood there for a bit, all the while never once taking his eyes off exactly where he was going to put the pen :lol:

Kopral Jono

That Ronaldo pen was horrible. The stuttering, and then ending with a one step kick.
Was no surprise he missed.
Anderson's penalty, on the hand. Being so young at the time I don't think he fully realised how big of an occasion it was for us as a club.

Loon

:lol:
I stood behind the goal that night and could not look at Terry's penalty as I expected to hear the cheers from the other end of the ground when it went in. To say our end went mental when he missed is an understatement and everyone was convinced from that moment we were gonna win. It was strange.

Last edited:

Tarrou

another little tit-bit I remember was I saw the Da Silva's in the crowd just behind me

what a moment that must have been for them

Josh 76

What amazes me is Nani has never got the credit for his penalty.
His was the most important one and the pressure of missing and handing the CL to Chelsea must have been massive. For that moment alone he will always be a Utd legend for me.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I remember when extra time ended I said a little prayer in front of my mother's sacred heart of Jesus picture. I'm fairly close to being an atheist but desperate times...

I made some promises to him that I have to yet to fulfil so I'm probably going to hell if there is one.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
“Do it for the boys” followed by an absolute eruption of joy and relief! Absolutely brilliant to watch and a throwback to how we all felt watching it.
I've watched that video multiple times over the years, probably more times than the actual shoot out.
It's exactly what every United supporter felt at the time. One of those moments you'll never forget

Swedish_Plumber

I've watched that video multiple times over the years, probably more times than the actual shoot out.
It's exactly what every United supporter felt at the time. One of those moments you'll never forget
First time I’ve seen it!! I remember being in tears as Terry walked up. Couldn’t take Ronaldo missing and is getting beat by him :lol:
Id missed the first half as I was playing cricket but vividly remember people shouting down that ronaldo had scored and then lampard had equalised.
Got home for the last 20 mins of normal time and then everything that followed. Hope to see us back in the final soon under Ole.

Halftrack

I remember I was supposed to work a night shift, but called in sick. If we won I wanted to celebrate, and if we lost I'd rather not have to go to work all miserable.

The 07-08 season started with another memorable penalty shootout against Chelsea, wherein van der Sar saved all three of Chelsea's penalties.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That was probably the one and only penalty shootout that mattered for United in my years of watching them. Thank god we won. Nani and Anderson should be given great credits for stepping up, considering it was very early in their United careers.

Terry acting the big man adjusting his armband while walking up to take his kick and then slipping was glorious. As was him holding on to his calf like he was injured while sitting on his arse. :lol:

RedDevil@84

Terry never looked confident did he?
Far more confident that how Anelka looked. I know the backstory of VDS pointing to the spot and all, but even with all that his shot was such a waste of a penalty. Too soft, too slow.

Haddock

Van der Sar's story is one of the more remarkable ones here. He'd gone from making blunders for Juve to moving to Fulham at 30. I don't recall him being regarded as an especially great penalty killer at the time (though he did fluke one against City in 06-07) and he'd lost a few shootouts.

How many people thought he was going to be first choice over Howard? To go to United at 34/35 and still do the business was an amazing career revival. He could have chosen to stay and had an easier time in London.

Petr Cech turned 39 this week which makes him slightly older than Edwin was in 2008. League wide consensus at the time was that Cech was comfortably better than anyone else in the league. Edwin went on to have his best season in 2008-09, and won two more league titles and played two more European finals. He's probably the best value for money signing a top PL club has made in the post-Abramovich era.

Irwin99

The commentary on Hargreaves penalty "Just, Just" - Bullsh*t - it was textbook top corner, a sensational penalty.
I always thought that was weird too...no keeper was saving that one.

Some of Chelsea's penalties were quite poor actually...i'm being harsh maybe but VDS should have saved the Cole and Lampard ones.

MTF

His was the most important one and the pressure of missing and handing the CL to Chelsea must have been massive. For that moment alone he will always be a Utd legend for me.
Agree. Was his first season with United, not a regular in the first XI, no hesitation about taking the 5th pen in a Champions League final. Nerves of steel.

)_(

I came here right after I came across that tweet. Watching it, I get nervous and excited all over again. Amazing night. This is what you do it all for, and to think some idiots wanted to replace this magic with that super league nonsense.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Watched it with my 2 sons then aged 12 & 8.Amazing stuff. Tears of joy were she'd I must admit.
My abiding memory is thinking Nani was going to miss and feeling an onset of despair only to have it lifted and being sure we were going to win once Terry missed. Pure elation.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Magical moment. I drank 8 pints during the penalties only (still don't know how it's possible). The best part was that the adrenaline made me quite sober anyway. Or maybe not so much as I was sure Terry's gonna miss that. it was a huge sport place with each big club having its own room but this was played in the main sector. Also remember one Chelsea fan coming over to me to congratulate was a great lad and we ended up driking even more. God knows what was my drinks number that day altogether but It was definitely my personal best.

Vaguely remember phoning about 20 people afterwards, some of whom were told I love them and the rest being called cnuts for no reason. Then I called my dad to pick me up late late at night and that's where the memory stopped. All i know there was the replay being played on laptop for the umpteenth time when I woke up next evening so I must have been conscious enough to set the repeat option.

Happy Days, and what's even better, I didn't lose my wallet that time.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
True this. Enormous respect for Nani.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Blood on his face too I recall. Tevez fought so hard that game and his penalty was good that I can never hate him either. Anderson too. Smashing it down the middle, he was what, 18/19?

What a side that was. Rooney, tevez, Cristiano, Nani, Anderson, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Park.

gormless

In the weeks after this, I remember seeing a fan shot clip of the Chelsea players starting to sprint towards the goal in celebration as Terry strikes it, only to have to stop and walk back to the halfway line.
If anybody manages to find it, please post it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Vds was unlucky on those penalties. He was close to most of them. But on the ither hand, Cech had Nani's pen on his hand.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
In the weeks after this, I remember seeing a fan shot clip of the Chelsea players starting to sprint towards the goal in celebration as Terry strikes it, only to have to stop and walk back to the halfway line.
If anybody manages to find it, please post it.
I need to see this

fergies coat

I remember saying to my mate, of all the people to win it for them it's this slimey cnut. (John Terry). We were pacing round the room, he missed and we both said at exactly the same time, he slipped on his own fcuking slime. The rest is history.

Terry Chango

Blood on his face too I recall. Tevez fought so hard that game and his penalty was good that I can never hate him either. Anderson too. Smashing it down the middle, he was what, 18/19?

What a side that was. Rooney, tevez, Cristiano, Nani, Anderson, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Park.
Plus Carrick, Prime Hargreaves, Edwin, scholes and Wes Brown was on top of his game too :drool:

M Utd

The first and only time my Mum has ever called me a cnut was during that shootout.

My brother is a Chelsea fan and my mum leaned towards them a bit as well. Apparently I was ‘over’ celebrating when VDS saved Anelka‘s effort.

My brother went to bed in tears and my Mum told me to go and apologise to him. I don’t know what came over me but when I opened his bedroom door and saw his grief stricken face, I couldn’t help myself but to celebrate again!
Brilliant story!

Stormrage101MUFC

Nani deserves just as much credit for this win as VDS and John Terry (lol). It took balls to put away that penalty at his age and at that stage of the shootout.