That Pickford challenge on Maguire

Strelok

He pushed Pickford. So no pen. But Pickford should get a yellow for his high kungfu kick.

GwilDor

Please. This is a non-discussion. Maguire’s hand in Pickfords chest is an obvious freekick before this situation happens.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It wasn't a challenge it was an assault

davidmichael

Has Pickford been watching tapes of Toni Schumacher circa 1982 over the past few weeks ?

RedIan

Should have been a foul on the keeper by Maguire pushing him over... . Once thats not given its a clear foul x 2 on Maguire. Had a pen been given I think var would have given the foul on Pickford

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pickford is an awful goalkeeper. Even if Maguire didn't push him, he wasn't to know what the decision would be but he went in again with a high challenge.

He got lucky

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is bloody foul on Pickford ffs. And it is obvious from space. So penalty is not an option.

But his idiotic challenges on players must stop. It was borderline red card

Pickford is extremely reckless at times. At best it concedes costly goals, at worse it can, and has, caused severe injury.

As for that incident... Maguire fouled first, but Pickford still acted recklessly and dangerously.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He pushed Pickford. So no pen. But Pickford should get a yellow for his high kungfu kick.
This. The first foul was obviously Maguire pushing Pickford in the chest just as he catches the ball. But Pickford, and perhaps Keane as well, should be getting a yellow for their attempted blocks which both ended up kicking Maguire after the ball was gone. It wasn't bad enough for a red but it was obviously a yellow.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
How could anyone (even the most die-hard of Maguire and United fans) suggest that Pickford deserves a red for that is beyond me.

As others have said, it wasn't a pen because Maguire was guilty of fouling him initially. At most Pickford should have got a yellow.

Shocking how our respective biases can really skew our perception of reality.

Marcus

Has Pickford been watching tapes of Toni Schumacher circa 1982 over the past few weeks ?
Ok nobody can beat Toni. Out to destroy other players. Pickford is more brainlessly and recklessly desperate in his attempts to stop goals.

Number32

Not a pen, pretty sure the official won't gives us penalties as much as we got last season. They gave us pen in first 3 consecutive games.

Maguire should just head the ball instead, even if he missed the reff would called it a high boots foul.

Kostov

Maguire pushed that imbecile first but that kick he did afterwards (Keane also went in dirty) was cnutish and I hope he gets what he deserved soon.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How could anyone (even the most die-hard of Maguire and United fans) suggest that Pickford deserves a red for that is beyond me.

As others have said, it wasn't a pen because Maguire was guilty of fouling him initially. At most Pickford should have got a yellow.

Shocking how our respective biases can really skew our perception of reality.
:lol: A bit too dramatic here.

padzilla

Hipster
It was a wild challenge from Pickford, the push from Maguire means it was not going to be a penalty but surely the keeper should have been sanctioned for dangerous play.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Pickford is brainlessly reckless, dangerously so. The VVD challenge was a full frontal assault which he somehow escaped punishment for, and the wild kick at Maguire was no different.

He simply didn’t get good enough contact on Maguire’s knee otherwise that’s a torn meniscus at best, a season ending ligament injury like VVD’s at worst.

I hope referees are educating themselves on his propensity for these sorts of wild lunges because right now he’s averaging one challenge like that a game and unless he starts getting red carded for these lunges it’s only a matter of time before he ruptures someone else’s ACL.

Sanchez7

If the challenge had resulted in a serious injury for Maguire, everyone including VAR would have given him a red. As it didn't, it was probably closer to an orange with a pen. He was panicking and completely out of control.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was it actually Pickford who lashed him, or was it the defender?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If the challenge had resulted in a serious injury for Maguire, everyone including VAR would have given him a red. As it didn't, it was probably closer to an orange with a pen. He was panicking and completely out of control.
This is why injury severity can't be the decider about the punishment.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Should have been a foul on the keeper by Maguire pushing him over... . Once thats not given its a clear foul x 2 on Maguire. Had a pen been given I think var would have given the foul on Pickford
Pretty much this.

Though I would say that Maguire probably didn't have to push him as Pickford would have probably fecked it anyway.

And if he had never pushed him I don't think VAR would have even given a penalty because its run by incompetent morons