That RW position - Still up for grabs

Biggins

That is irrelevant (that we don't play 4-4-2 anymore) they are still classed as wide players and they should be mixing their game up more by getting to the byline and putting crosses in. Especially when we are playing with a 6 ft 6 striker in Weghorst. You can't expect an overlap from the fullback everytime. We are third bottom in terms of the amount crosses delivered with (338) with a 25% accuracy rate. Only Bournemouth and Leicester have managed less and we both know about their struggles this season and where they are in the table.
With all due respect to Wout as he is doing wonderful job so far, you could put prime Giggs on left wing and prime Beckham on right wing putting inch perfect crosses and Wout’s goal scoring wouldn’t not have improved by much.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
With all due respect to Wout as he is doing wonderful job so far, you could put prime Giggs on left wing and prime Beckham on right wing putting inch perfect crosses and Wout’s goal scoring wouldn’t not have improved by much.
I'm not sure about that.

Wout is obviously bad at winning long aerial balls up from the back. He's got exactly the same issue that Lukaku and Rashford have, in that he simply can't judge the flight of the ball so gets his position all wrong while the ball goes a metre or two over his head. However, like Lukaku (and Rashford has shown significant improvement this season), he does seem a fair bit better at winning crosses from the side. They all seem to find it much easier to judge the flight of the ball from that area. Wout has already come quite close to scoring from that a few times despite how little we actually make those crosses.

eire-red

Under EtH, you feel all positions are up for grabs if you perform well. I think Antony has done enough to be backed as the starter going forward for this season and into next.

He's the first genuine right sided winger we've had in years, and I think we look a much more balanced team with him in it.

ABC of Football

I think the manager is trying his best to build a squad currently. If you look at all the forwards they can currently play multiple positions.

Ideall our strongest team currently for the manager is-
Rashford Wout Antony

But we can rotate in Garnacho and Sancho as well. So we have good options.

I think if we want to get to the next level we need another forward player who can hit the same levels as Rashford and Bruno (ie whoever can lock in the RW position). Once we can get that, I really do think we can step it up another notch.

ZahaWilf

Didn't manage to catch the first half tonight but Pellistri looks a handful in the second half when he runs with the ball. Great balance and hopefully another good option on that side.

daba

Should definitely be getting more chances now before the end of the season.

Above Sancho in the pecking order IMO.

RyRy11

I like what he brings, I'd rather Pellistri out there than Bruno.

ZahaWilf

Should definitely be getting more chances now before the end of the season.

Above Sancho in the pecking order IMO.
Definitely should be getting more chances I agree, at least he tries to beat a player unlike Sancho.

Judas

Open to offers
He's more direct and fast, to be frank. Does what you want from someone in that position. Clearly young and raw, but he's got something about him.

Red Rash

Antony needs to improve a bit for sure but I think he can be a good player for us. That being said I'd love to see Amad tried on the RW next season

ZahaWilf

Antony needs to improve a bit for sure but I think he can be a good player for us. That being said I'd love to see Amad tried on the RW next season
Haven't been able to catch many of Sunderland's games this season, so how has he been doing? Also I would like to see Pellistri be given a few more chances, admittedly though he is perhaps a bit light weight but I feel like he has something about him.

SER19

I still think we're better with Antony and his attitude seems good enough to think it's reasonable he can improve. Overall a decent first season for a young player. I like him alot and expect loads more

Red Rash

Haven't been able to catch many of Sunderland's games this season, so how has he been doing? Also I would like to see Pellistri be given a few more chances, admittedly though he is perhaps a bit light weight but I feel like he has something about him.
I haven't watched any full games so I am basing this on highlights and what I've read. In the highlights it seems he is playing really well and a decent number of goals. The Sunderland fans love him and he is nominated for young player of the year.

Based on what I've seen of him on loan and in the under 23s I think he is a very intelligent player, great decision maker and gets a fair share of goals. I'm not sure if he is ready to be a starter but I'd like to see him starting 10-15 games and get regular sub minutes

The White Pele

I’m really looking forward to seeing Rashford, Martial, Antony as a front 3 with Bruno, Eriksen, Casemiro in midfield.

I think Antony’s possession game and Martial’s hold up play will compliment Rashford’s more direct nature. And that midfield 3 can create, play in tight spaces and get goals.

Add an attacking right back to give Antony some more support and we’re cooking.

Flying high

:lol:

Delusional doesn't begin to describe it. He's so average.
He's not average, he's just not a wide forward that we all want.

He's extremely hard working, good positionally and provides a threat. And he's young and just moved to a new club. I'd say he's done very well so far.

theballisround

Antony is in good form, but the place is easily still up for grabs until Antony is in good 100 mil spent on him form.

davidmichael

I think he who shall not be named will be here next season (morally right or not) and he’d play ahead of Antony, Diallo and Sancho on the right.

AlexUTD

Delusional doesn't begin to describe it. He's so average - scoring the odd goal doesn't change that.
Antony have been one of the best players lately and he gives us balance on the front 3.

He even mixes things up more and does not only use his left foot.

He is still young and developing in a new tough league so chill with the hate "supporter".

PoTMS

Antony have been one of the best players lately and he gives us balance on the front 3.

He even mixes things up more and does not only use his left foot.

He is still young and developing in a new tough league so chill with the hate "supporter".
It's not hate, it's just disputing the idea that he's fantastic. He's not. If we have any ambitions of winning the Champions League or the Premier League, we definitely need a better right winger.

AlexUTD

It's not hate, it's just disputing the idea that he's fantastic. He's not. If we have any ambitions of winning the Champions League or the Premier League, we definitely need a better right winger.
He is getting better every game now. Give the kid some slack please.

If Ten Hag believes in him then so do i and i intend to support him atleast.

Adamsk7

Antony is 23. He’s contributing and does give us balance. I’m sure his game will mature.

Trequarista10

If Antony occassionally used his right foot to go outside his full back and create an angle for a cut back or cross, he'd be so much more dangerous. Especially as our full backs play very centrally. I really hope it's something he's working on, no excuse not to at this level. And before anyone says players like Robben were one footed, it's not comparable, Antony is far more one footed than Robben was. The only other player I have seen who is so adverse to even controlling the ball or making a simple pass with his weak foot was Antonio Valencia.

As I typed this Antony just had a cross/shot with his right foot so it's somewhat ironic, but the point still stands.

daveskimufc

I like Antony, and it's great to have someone on the right, yes he needs to improve his decision making, his right foot and be brave enough to take a man on, BUT, he is always available, always presses, always defends. I think with a flying right back he will get better too.

And a goal and assist today

cyberman

Delusional doesn't begin to describe it. He's so average - scoring the odd goal doesn't change that.
It’s not scoring goals it’s the way he keeps possession under pressure and holds it up further up the pitch.
If he were a City player you’d all be salivating over him but with United the sky is always falling in and nobody is ever good enough unless it’s 20 goals and assists. Even the Rashford has his detractors on here.
You’re all mental

Steve Bruce

He is getting better every game now. Give the kid some slack please.

If Ten Hag believes in him then so do i and i intend to support him atleast.
Exactly this. I think Anthony looks better each passing game over the last month.

Yes he can be frustrating shooting at times but I'm finally seeing bits of his game coming into his performance and is steadily getting better.

We also forget that he didn't come into United until after the first couple of games missing all of pre season at United and missed a chunk at Ajax.

Next season I do think we'll be singing his praises more than not.