The 20 minutes where Ferguson's 2 decade's of dominance started.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'd love them to think they're safe and then score on 92 minutes or something. The way they'd mentally collapse after believing they were out of it. It'd be better than tonking them 5-0.
That would be amazing. Would also be nice if they needed to score to be safe and De Gea played a blinder and stopped chance after chance after chance. Poetic justice.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
All United goals from that great season:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That would be amazing. Would also be nice if they needed to score to be safe and De Gea played a blinder and stopped chance after chance after chance. Poetic justice.
That would be amazing. Eric Bailly last ditch challenges.

Also be great to have a shot blocked off the line by a shoulder that arguably could've been a handball just to rub salt in.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Might be wrong but I think that was the following year when we beat them 2-0 at their place early in the season. Don't think we beat them in 92/93. From what I remember we drew 1-1 at ours and not sure what happened at their place that year. Think it might've been pre-Cantona. Maybe.
Here it is. Your'e right it was the double year.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Absolutely loved that team, perfectly set up to counter away from home and so exciting to watch. The following season we scored more away than we did at Old Trafford.

This was another good one:

I've sometimes wondered how Andrei would've fared as a wing forward in more of a modern 4-3-3. His finishing sometimes wasn't the best but I still reckon he'd have racked up some serious numbers if relieved of some of his defensive duties in that kind of system instead of a 4-4-2. 4-3-3 just wasn't used by anyone at least in England at that time.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Here it is. Your'e right it was the double year.
Aye, I remember that - cheers for uploading it.

I also remember us winning 2-0 at Villa Park and Sharpey scoring a really good goal on the counter. We were phenomenal that year (93/94). Probably my favourite ever United side.

Eckers99

That would be amazing. Eric Bailly last ditch challenges.

Also be great to have a shot blocked off the line by a shoulder that arguably could've been a handball just to rub salt in.
Yeah, a perfect storm of inspired keeping, inexplicable misses and last-ditch defending. That would be karma!

FujiVice

I've sometimes wondered how Andrei would've fared as a wing forward in more of a modern 4-3-3. His finishing sometimes wasn't the best but I still reckon he'd have racked up some serious numbers if relieved of some of his defensive duties in that kind of system instead of a 4-4-2. 4-3-3 just wasn't used by anyone at least in England at that time.
He sort of did whatever he wanted for Everton at times. He hammered teams in half decent Everton side, racking up 16 goals in his first year (when he was out for 2 months with a broken shoulder). He's a strange case, because his career was sort of ran by a bunch of shifty characters in a boardroom in Russia. We never got to see what he could have done really do for us. He should have been here for years, with the talent he had. Seeing him get outpaced by Phil Neville while a City player was the saddest sight ever.

People say Cantona killed our league title hopes with that kick at Selhurst Park, but Kanchelskis' injury/refusal to play after about February did us in more than that. Losing Cantona and Kanchelskis was half our goals.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Who’s on the right - Clayton Blackmore?
Yeah, he was a bit-part player by then from what I remember. Don't think his United career ever really took off due to injuries.

Bobski

What age was Giggs in that season? 18? He was still contributing as little as 4 years ago, I know he had a long career but putting it in context is a little mind blowing, even after watching all of it.

Different era of the game, most games were closer to equal contests that what we see now. Rare to see teams just set up to defend the box maybe the bottom few teams but the rest were more willing to take the better teams on, which is one of the reasons that Utd team were so devastating on the counter. Great fun to watch, but I don't think they ever would have been good enough defensively to win the CL. Parker/Bruce/Pallister/Irwin, all good player but Irwin but was the only one close to world class of that group. Having said that Utd won it in 99 with a poor defensive record so who knows.

Tarrou

Remember watching this as my mate was coming over to watch it but arrived 20 mins late and missed 3 goals. We did feck all for the rest of the game then

also distinctly remember laughing at Bryan Gunn - for the 3rd goal he was protesting before Cantona put it in :lol:

FujiVice

It's like a different world back then. I mean Andy Sinton and Paul Parker are real life best friends. Roomed together for England, played together at QPR. Yet he tries to mash him.

MoskvaRed

It's like a different world back then. I mean Andy Sinton and Paul Parker are real life best friends. Roomed together for England, played together at QPR. Yet he tries to mash him.
That is brutal (in fact there’s quite a few “uncompromising” tackles in the lead up...). Chelsea vs Spurs two years ago was the only game of recent years that comes close to the old days.

As an irrelevant fact, Andy Sinton’s uncle was a highly eccentric music teacher at my school.

Spoony

The People's President
Norwich were a good side back then. They beat Bayern 2-1 away. But yeah hi-tempo football, sadly the game has changed far too much.

RD76

Amazing game, incredible season. And we were bottom of the table after 2 or 3 games! After so many near misses, I didn't actually believe that we were going to win the title until we beat Palace away.

chb23

What was blatantly obvious was that everyone was running forward creating runs and options instead of coming towards the ball.

This has been a problem with the team for a number of years now going back to fergies last years

Fitchett

That is brutal (in fact there’s quite a few “uncompromising” tackles in the lead up...). Chelsea vs Spurs two years ago was the only game of recent years that comes close to the old days.

As an irrelevant fact, Andy Sinton’s uncle was a highly eccentric music teacher at my school.
Was that Richard Sinton at Manchester Grammar School?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Always think football looks different in HD with perfect pitches in big stadiums.
This looks more like when you watch the local team, but y'know, really good.
Is the pitch very short? They seem to reach the other end quickly. Maybe it's just the cameras. Or I'm not used to watching any sort of intensity anymore.

Denis79

That's world-class 1 touch football. What movement! That brought back memories...

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
Now that's what I call entertaining football! Even as a Liverpool fan i must say that was scintillating display of football.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyKills

April 1993. I remember watching this and it seemed as special then as it does watching it back now. We just murdered a very good Norwich side here. Cantona pulling the strings, Ince in the middle charging forward and the two wingers slaughtering the fullbacks.
Could watch this all day, but I would say the dominance started much earlier than the Norwich game. We'd dominated the previous year without winning the league and had had a good year the year before.

I'd say the starting point was the signing of Cantona (although that's a clichéd view I know) and you could even go back to the 6-2 thrashing of Arsenal, United's first great performance under Fergie.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Could watch this all day, but I would say the dominance started much earlier than the Norwich game. We'd dominated the previous year without winning the league and had had a good year the year before.

I'd say the starting point was the signing of Cantona (although that's a clichéd view I know) and you could even go back to the 6-2 thrashing of Arsenal, United's first great performance under Fergie.
Solid shout.

We would have won the league without Cantona. He would have left Leeds anyway, it had already started unravelling. We were also already a very good side.

Darkhorsez

This belongs here...
Remember this game. God I used dislike Quinn so much. The thing that is amazing is that when crosses came in see how player would be throwing themselves in as if their lives depended on it.

JohnnyKills

Solid shout.

We would have won the league without Cantona. He would have left Leeds anyway, it had already started unravelling. We were also already a very good side.
Not sure mate, we were dropping loads of points before he arrived. As Fergie said, he was the can-opener.