The 3-5-2 formation under Ole

Trex

Is it time to bring it back (or 3-4-1-2) to bring some stability back to a extremely leaky defence and easily over run midfield?

DDG
Bailly Maguire Shaw
Williams Fred VDB Telles
Bruno
Rashford Martial
A good coach could be able to get Dan James to play right wingback

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think the Telles signing will see us move to a back 3, definitely. Ole clearly likes it but hasn't had the full backs to really play it. Plus our forwards are better through the middle.

I just hope that if we do move to a back 3, Ole doesn't insist on playing with a DM. Should be Bruno, VDB and then 1 of Fred or Pogba.

TheGame

If we don’t sign a RW, think we need to go to 3-5-2. With maybe Telles and James as wing backs. Would allow Dalot to have a shot as well. There is even the option of playing 4 CmS in tough away games with Pogba and Fernandes off a striker.

bsCallout

I've posted this elsewhere but what would people think of this -

I'd like him to be bold now and play

Henderson
Laird Mengi Smalling Telles
VDB Matic/McT Fred
Bruno
Greenwood & Rashford

That might give a few players some hunger.

CM

A back 3 might not be a viable long-term solution but we've got to do something to stop the rot.

We look completely dysfunctional with the 4-2-3-1 and the bad performances started at the back end of last season. We probably still don't really have the personnel to play a back 3 well because Wan-Bissaka gets a nosebleed every time he crosses the halfway line but we've got to try something else soon.

Devil may care

Given we've fecked this transfer window up with kids and a mercenary bum all that's coming in to the attack, Telles should go into the team in this formation as he's great in attack and this way we'll have decent forward to bring off the bench.

wolvored

Yes he tried this with some success and now everyone will know you only have to knock it over the top to a fast runner Maguire could stay slightly deeper as a sweeper to make up for his loss of pace

wolvored

I think the Telles signing will see us move to a back 3, definitely. Ole clearly likes it but hasn't had the full backs to really play it. Plus our forwards are better through the middle.

I just hope that if we do move to a back 3, Ole doesn't insist on playing with a DM. Should be Bruno, VDB and then 1 of Fred or Pogba.
Yes agree you already have enough defensive cover. Time for vdb and Bruno to take the fight forward

joedirt87

A back 3 might not be a viable long-term solution but we've got to do something to stop the rot.

We look completely dysfunctional with the 4-2-3-1 and the bad performances started at the back end of last season. We probably still don't really have the personnel to play a back 3 well because Wan-Bissaka gets a nosebleed every time he crosses the halfway line but we've got to try something else soon.
I hate playing 3 at the back, but at this point I would be willing to try switching it up, that or play a diamond in midfield. Not like we utilize width in attack.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Given the fact we are still aiming for winger and we even just spent 25m euro plus 15m euro adds on bonus for teenager winger (joined in January though), it seems what Ole has in mind is still a formation with winger which likely to be 4231.

Walters_19_MuFc

With the singing of Telles, I would like us to try three at the back. At the moment, our defence is low on confidence. In order to build that confidecne, we could do with getting that extra bit of protection at the back.

I would opt for a 343 or 352

Rashford Martial Greenwood
Telles Fred Fernandes Dan James
Shaw Maguire Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Or

Rashford Martial
Telles Pogba Fred Bruno Dan James
Shaw Maguire Wan-Bissaka
De Gea​

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

I agree, playing with 3 cb will allow us to play VDB, Fernandes and pogba all together as there will be more protection at the back.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d go with 3-4-1-2, cavani and rashford upfront, it makes sense playing cavani now we have someone who can cross a ball in telles, can’t wait to see the deadly crosses into the box and cavani attacking it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Were buying Telles to play this horrible formation aren't we. Five defenders, only know how to counter attack small team mentality. What a nightmare.
Tell that to Conte's Chelsea who win the title with a back 5 in 2016/17, or Conte's Juventus with Bonucci - Barzagli - Chiellini.

sparx99

With the singing of Telles, I would like us to try three at the back. At the moment, our defence is low on confidence. In order to build that confidecne, we could do with getting that extra bit of protection at the back.

I would opt for a 343 or 352

Rashford Martial Greenwood
Telles Fred Fernandes Dan James
Shaw Maguire Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Or

Rashford Martial
Telles Pogba Fred Bruno Dan James
Shaw Maguire Wan-Bissaka
De Gea​
You want to play a back three with two full backs?

That’s both weird, bold and probably going to end in disaster!

Walters_19_MuFc

You want to play a back three with two full backs?

That’s both weird, bold and probably going to end in disaster!
Well, Shaw has played there and has been defensively solid. Seeing as AWB is arguably just as good, then I don't see why he couldn't make that transition, too. The wide centre backs often find themselves at the full-back position anyway, both in and out of position, so it's certainly something I'd try if I was Ole.

cptkeane1993

3-5-2 does not equate to a defensive / small team mentality.
Our philosophy is to attack meaning we're vulnerable to the counter-attack and space behind. The formation (3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2) gives some balance - an attacking mentality with a defensive set-up (i.e. more defenders) and also allows for flexibility with the wing-backs attacking when we have the ball and defending when we don't.

Simone plays with a 4-4-2 which may seem an attacking formation on paper but it's a good balance to his defensive style of play.

Walters_19_MuFc

No cause Ole only used that formation to counter. Smaller team mentality.
That's because he played it against the teams who dominate possession. If we were to play it more often, you'd expect us to boss most teams. Potter uses 523/343 and he certainly didn't play on the counter against us. Ultimately, it's how you set up your team. Nothing to do with the system.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
That's because he played it against the teams who dominate possession. If we were to play it more often, you'd expect us to boss most teams. Potter uses 523/343 and he certainly didn't play on the counter against us. Ultimately, it's how you set up your team. Nothing to do with the system.
No its not the system I agree, but so far I have only seen Ole use it to counter and just dont think he is capable of dominating football no matter what formation.

sparx99

Well, Shaw has played there and has been defensively solid. Seeing as AWB is arguably just as good, then I don't see why he couldn't make that transition, too. The wide centre backs often find themselves at the full-back position anyway, both in and out of position, so it's certainly something I'd try if I was Ole.
They both get caught out defending crosses though and that’s playing in a back four.

Shaw has done well at LCB but I still think his positioning is poor and AWB is even worse in that regard.

I still don’t understand why we haven’t tried Pogba and Bruno either side of a DM in a midfield three. The commitment to Pogba alongside Matic with Bruno in front seems really strange to me. When you think of the Real Madrid team who won 4 CL titles it had a brilliantly balanced midfield of Kroos, Casemiro and Modric. To me Fred, Pogba and Bruno have similar attributes (poor mans version) but aren’t being played together in the right formation.

FahadiHossein

This may be the best for the team.
The defenders are too slow and I saw how Palace and Spurs just sent a long ball down the channel and the two defenders were done. This is especially so that the midfield is not quick enough to run back and cover, and does not play deep enough.

FahadiHossein

I still don’t understand why we haven’t tried Pogba and Bruno either side of a DM in a midfield three. The commitment to Pogba alongside Matic with Bruno in front seems really strange to me. When you think of the Real Madrid team who won 4 CL titles it had a brilliantly balanced midfield of Kroos, Casemiro and Modric. To me Fred, Pogba and Bruno have similar attributes (poor mans version) but aren’t being played together in the right formation.
It is likely that Real Madrid has much better full-backs in Marcelo and Carvajal who can find space and attack and bring the ball to the byline. Our full backs just pass to our inside forwards, then to the center midfielders and then lose the ball and have to sprint back to defend a counter.

Walters_19_MuFc

They both get caught out defending crosses though and that’s playing in a back four.

Shaw has done well at LCB but I still think his positioning is poor and AWB is even worse in that regard.

May not work, but it'd be something I'd like to see, simply because Shaw did really well there against Liverpool, City and Chelsea.

As for going with a flat midfield three, it's something that, given the playing style of these two players(Bruno and Pogba), you'd expect them to suit the system really well. Ultimately, it's about getting that balance, and at the moment, it's clear that our balance isn't quite right.

sparx99

It is likely that Real Madrid has much better full-backs in Marcelo and Carvajal who can find space and attack and bring the ball to the byline. Our full backs just pass to our inside forwards, then to the center midfielders and then lose the ball and have to sprint back to defend a counter.
Even more reason to get Pogba closer to Shaw and Bruno close to AWB so they have another option. With a midfield two and a no10 they are further away from the full backs.

Liverpool and City have dominated the league (in very different ways) but the common theme is a midfield three rather than a two.

Hoof the ball

When did Shaw last have an assist? Someone said 16 months ago. That can't be right!! Cause if it is.....

Imagine Telles, Porto's best player, being purchased to play second fiddle to a non-contributing stats-for-nothing chump like Luke.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
A good coach could be able to get Dan James to play right wingback
You'd need a good wizard to get Dan James to be able to play fecking football first.

stevoc

Right now central defence is a major problem, Maguire is a good if not Wordl Class player but in terrible form. The rest of our defenders are either ok like Lindelof but slow or rubbish and/or injury prone like Rojo, Jones and that lunatic Bailley.

So people are suggesting we play more of these players every week?

Excellent idea, can't see that failing.