The 4-Way Draft R1: Skizzo vs Raees

With players at peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

........................................... TEAM SKIZZO ........................................................................................ TEAM RAEES ...........................................

TEAM SKIZZO

Tactics - 343

Tactics - Cruyff's Barcelona Dream Team Inspired.

Quality without results is pointless. Results without quality is boring.

I would rather win 5-4 than 1-0.

Pep Guardiola said:
They were pioneers and we cannot compete with that no matter how many trophies we win.

We will never equal the period of the Dream Team as they were the first to break up the long period without success. Louis van Gaal, Frank Rijkaard and I have added things but none of this would have happened without the Dream Team.
Inspired by the revolutionary coach, I chose to follow a different path for a Barcelona team, rather than the modern version we see pop up in drafts so often these days. Instead, I decided to go with what laid the foundation for the modern juggernaut, and model my team on the original Dream Team.

While a like-for-like rendition was always a possibility, I also wanted to upgrade where possible, and also pay homage to some of the greatest players to wear the Barcelona shirt.

In goal, the Dream Team's own Andoni Zubizarreta takes up the gloves. He's accustomed to the style and requirements of being the keeper in this system. His positioning and reading of the game meant he wouldn't be required to make the outstanding saves that required flying across the goal mouth, although he was capable of such when necessary.

The defense is built around one of the most crucial members of the Dream Team, in Ronald Koeman. His distribution from the back was key in helping the team retain possession, while also maintain a linear threat with his ability to play the ball directly into the attacking players. Often overlooked for his defensive ability, the fact that he was a crucial part of so many Trophy Winning teams is proof enough of his ability as a defender. While the three man backline of the original Dream Team included tucked in full backs in Sergi and Ferrer, their primary goal (besides defense) was looking to move into wide areas and channels to create the outlet for Koeman or other team mates. With Lilian Thuram, we have slightly less offensive output, but a huge improvement on the defensive solidity. Thuram will still look to explore those channels, while maintaining the physical abilities to play the role, and offers his defensive nous also. On the left, captain of the Barça of the Five Cups, Joan Zegarra. A natural center back or left back, Segarra was a model professional, and respected by teammates and opponents alike. Famously, Real Madrid winger Gento made his "Dream XI", including 9 of his teammates and Segarra. He had the perfect physical shape, tremendous skills, and was a solid marker. Although he played at the back, he also had a fine shot and scored several decisive goals.

Coming into Pep Guardiola's role as the deep lying midfielder, is Barcelona legend Luis Suarez Miramontes. While at Barca, he played as more of the attacking midfielder, his Inter incarnation is a perfect fit for what would be required for Cruyff's Dream Team. Able to recycle the ball between the defense and midfield, his passing opens up channels and possibilities, and won't struggle under pressure to keep possession.

Johan Neeskens and Luis Enrique take up the two midfield spots and epitomize what the Dream Team was all about. Players who would attack attack attack, and be relentless in defense. Their movement would open spaces, while their ability on the ball would help players like Laudrup and Miramontes pass and move into spaces to receive possession back. Both of them are able to play vertically, and can move beyond the midfield as players rotate.

Michael Laudrup comes in at the tip of the midfield diamond, with the freedom to play as he most enjoyed. Able to drop into midfield to maintain the ball, as well as receive it deep, and turn to move the ball forward quickly. His blend of dribbling and passing has rarely been seen in a player, and he's rightly considered one of the greatest players of not just Barcelona's history, but football in general. He often played as a false-9 for Barcelona in the Dream Team, as the foreigner rule restricted all the stars appearing together. In this team, there's no such restriction, and he can take up the creative role he'd thrive in, with the clinical players ahead of him.

Hristo Stoichkov bore the fruit of Laudrup's talents, and he comes in again here to thrive in that partnership. His movement would drag defenders out of position, his pace would help him get in behind, and his left foot would lash the ball into the back of many a net. He would look to work the channels, and create space for others, or take advantage of the space afforded to him when defenders focused on others.

Others like Romario. The Brazilian is rightly recognized as one of the most clinical strikers of all time. He terrorized many a defense in his pomp, and his ability to play and make runs in behind the defense creates the spaces in and around the defensive line that can be exploited by other players.

Taking up his position on the right wing, is the player that was voted as Barcelona's greatest player. Sure, that might have been before Messi, but that's no slight on the player that has had his statue erected to honor his talents. Laszlo Kubala was Messi before Messi was Messi. He dragged Barcelona to titles and victories, and he was the idol of the fans. He was the reason they have the impressive stadium they have. Any Barcelona homage wouldn't have been complete without including their first real superstar, and a player who rightly goes down as on of their greatest ever players.

Cruyff said:
and this both on offense and defense. On offense, if everyone has taken many risks to get to a one-on-one matchup, you need people who can win those matchups--people like [name lost to accent], like [name lost to accent], like Romario and all of them---and when you can get them in one-on-one matchups, the chance of scoring a goal and winning a match is much better.
Johan Cruyff’s last instruction to his players before they stepped onto the pitch was: “Go out and enjoy it”.

TEAM RAEES

TACTICAL OUTLINE

Formation: 5-2-2-1
Style: Counter-Attacking (use of crosses into the box via wing backs and using the aerial threat of Nordahl and Gullit to exploit his physically vulnerable defence on the counter).

Key Issues

• Romario against his world cup 1994 nemisis Baresi
If there is one defender you can back to deal with Romario it is Baresi and this time he isn't coming off knee surgery or half fit, he is in his absolute prime and has the likes of Stam and Schnelliger for company not to mention Desailly, Redondo to help out in central areas.

• My team has more steel Whilst his team also has alot of winners and bags of talent in the side, I think from 1-11, we have a team of hard nosed bastards who know how to get the job done on the big occassion.. not even one player in my side could be accused of being flaky whereas you could potentially accuse some of his side of wilting or lacking the stomach for the very big occasions.

• Inter Milan 2010 is the inspiration Whichever way Skizzo lines up, he's going to play in the Barcelona style which will be to dominate possession and go for the attack. My team is perfectly set up ala Inter Milan from 2010 to nick the ball in key areas.. with two of the best defensive midfielders of all time in Desailly and Redondo and we have great passers from defensive positions in Baresi and Schnellinger.. who can aim for the likes of Nordahl and Gullit, bypassing defensive lines and get us running at the heart of his defence.

• Gullit and Schiaffino take turns in the hole Skizzo lacks a pure CDM, so we will look to these guys to take turns to get into the hole and playmake from this position in conjunction with Redondo.

• My biggest weakness is lack of natural width i.e. no wingers But I do feel Zambrotta who is one of the most underrated full backs of all time is very comfortable on the ball and excellent at bombing forward and getting back in equal measure. Very astute user of the ball, who has strong decision making on the ball and on the other flank. Gerets can be a monster on the flanks and can take the game away from the opposition with his lung-busting forays forward.

Skizzo

Get some quick thoughts in before having to get ready for the day.

Firstly, both teams are set up to concede some "territory" on the pitch. Ours is in the wider areas, where Zambrotta and Gerets will operate. For the opposition, they concede territory in the middle of the pitch.

With Redondo and Desailly both in as DM, it could get rather confusing as to who's responsibility is whos. Especially with someone like Laudrup who likes to roam to control the game. It forces one of the two to step out to him, leaving us with a midfielder free to keep the ball moving, or burst forward from deep.

This isn't the man you want to try and cover on the fly, without a plan to do so.

As for the comments on basing us as a possession team, well it doesn't sit completely true. We won't hold possession for the sake of it, and we have plenty of players throughout the team who can play that quick vertical ball forward, and are far more likely to exploit the position of the defenders with the front three.

As alluded to, Romario has faced up against Baresi and that famed Milan defense, and did quite well. His movement and pace always causes problems for any defender, and he's the type that defenders hate because he's always looking to play off the shoulder or suddenly burst to a different area to receive the ball. Clinical with half a chance, he'll get some good looks here with the other attackers around him.

Stoichkov and Kubala would look to be making runs in behind to create space for Laudrup, or to move into channels as space around the defense opens up. They're both quick, they're both tricky, and most importantly, they offer serious goal threat which means we aren't reliant on just one route/player to score.

Stoichkov with a 1 in 3 scoring record, and Kubala with an even better one, means that we legitimately pose the kind of threat you can't contain throughout the game.

Just as Cruyff wanted, there'll be entertainment and goals, and I think with our diverse threat and control of key areas, we'd have enough to see the game through.

And that's not even yet getting into the ability of players like Neeskens and Luis Suarez Miramontes to help control the midfield and win the game from there, or highlighting the importance of Koeman and his ability and key role in the team.

Skizzo

But for the talk of distribution from the back, there's really only one player worth mentioning..

And he's not bad at chipping in with a few goals too, I hear

We have players throughout this team who have been the primary playmakers in their own teams at various points...and that's the difference maker in which the game can be won. Shut off space for Laudrup, Miramontes picks out passes. Drop Gullit into midfield, Koeman can play raking passes into the front players. These are players you need to press to stop them influencing the game and picking you apart, but their ability to work through that press and find the next pass forward means we can continue to probe those openings.

And it's worth mentioning again, Romario :drool:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Those arrows :lol:

This one is tough to decide, main question mark for me is @Raees midfield two, ones a destroyer and the other is DLP, leaving a gap between central midfield and Nordahl this also allows Suarez to run the show.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Holy shit. Two brilliant teams. I don't see a single poor fit in Skizzo's Dream Team homage, which is no easy task to remake. On the other side, Raees makes a good point in that Nordahl and Gullit should enjoy an advantage in the air. I'd prefer a tad more width to capitalise on that, but then I rate Gullit's own work in wide areas extremely highly, so Gullit peeling wide to cross for Nordahl is a viable route to goal. Edging towards Skizzo simply as that set up caught my eye more, but I need to think it through more.

EDIT: The only player Raees didn't write initials or first name for in his formation graphic is 'Buffon". Sneaky :lol::lol:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Dream Team vs Milan :lol:
Brilliant remake from skizzo, like it very much but raees team is also brilliant as well. Great defensive wise and very good going forward.....
With skizzo i reckon Suarez would be very good for that role but also think he is underused a bit, he is a game changer and in this role you lose that and he becames only a good fit.
On the other side i dont like Zambrotta as a left wingback with the emphasis on wingback.

Skizzo

Dream Team vs Milan :lol:
Brilliant remake from skizzo, like it very much but raees team is also brilliant as well. Great defensive wise and very good going forward.....
With skizzo i reckon Suarez would be very good for that role but also think he is underused a bit, he is a game changer and in this role you lose that and he becames only a good fit.
On the other side i dont like Zambrotta as a left wingback with the emphasis on wingback.
In regards to Suarez, that's true to a degree in that not everything flows through him...but when Pep played that role, he was a key player in so much as that he's often be the one finding the feet of the Forward players, and sending the midfielders, full backs etc going forward. So while he's not the sole focus of our team, he very much is a key part of how the team will attack. It will often be him looking to play the ball into the final third of the pitch to get Laudrup et al on the ball.

idmanager

I have a few reservations with Suarez donning Guardiola's role.
Pep while not being utilized in a typical defensive role, still offered a decent amount of cover for the back three and was defensively competent.

I don't think Suarez offers much to the team defensively or a decent cover for the back 3.
Suarez always had a more defensive midfield player (Bedin) behind him in the Inter formation and the onus of helping out the defense was not on Suarez.
His primary job was to initiate quick counters with his great passing after the ball was won and passed to him.
I don't think he would help a lot with counters here and that looks the only weak in a brilliantly assembled team to me.

Skizzo

I have a few reservations with Suarez donning Guardiola's role.
Pep while not being utilized in a typical defensive role, still offered a decent amount of cover for the back three and was defensively competent.

I don't think Suarez offers much to the team defensively or a decent cover for the back 3.
Suarez always had a more defensive midfield player (Bedin) behind him in the Inter formation and the onus of helping out the defense was not on Suarez.
His primary job was to initiate quick counters with his great passing after the ball was won and passed to him.
I don't think he would help a lot with counters here and that looks the only weak in a brilliantly assembled team to me.
Cheers for the comments. While I agree defensively Pep offered a little more than Suarez, it's balanced in a few ways.

Firstly, there's no AM in the opposition, at least not in the traditional sense. Meaning both offensively and defensively his role is slightly less demanding.

Secondly, we've added much more defensive ability all around him. With Neeskens and Luis Enrique in the midfield ahead, and Thuram and Segarra both offering a more solid base at the back, without losing the ability to stretch to full back areas when necessary.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
In regards to Suarez, that's true to a degree in that not everything flows through him...but when Pep played that role, he was a key player in so much as that he's often be the one finding the feet of the Forward players, and sending the midfielders, full backs etc going forward. So while he's not the sole focus of our team, he very much is a key part of how the team will attack. It will often be him looking to play the ball into the final third of the pitch to get Laudrup et al on the ball.
yeah, dont have an issue with anything you said but i see Suarez as an all-action midfielder so in this role you lose his offensive(dribbling, final ball, goal threat etc.) qualities. You can argue you dont need them with Laudrup on the same team but thats another debate, i reckon they would form a great partnership(both here and in Suarez natural role).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think Raees is better equipped to counter Skizzo's dominance through the middle than Skizzo with Raees wingbacks. Baresi despite the arrows will contribute up in the middle and with Desailly and Redondo is formidable in the middle and perfect for the counter attacking style played by Raees. Schiaffino and Gullit will contribute deeper bridging the gap.

Skizzo

I think Raees is better equipped to counter Skizzo's dominance through the middle than Skizzo with Raees wingbacks. Baresi despite the arrows will contribute up in the middle and with Desailly and Redondo is formidable in the middle and perfect for the counter attacking style played by Raees. Schiaffino and Gullit will contribute deeper bridging the gap.
Baresi up the middle and Schiaffino and Gullit deeper causes different problems for them. Now you're taking your two creative players farther from the goal, and leaving more space at the back to exploit. What space does Baresi step out into that doesn't leave a problem area for any of Romario, Stoichkov or Kubala to exploit?

Wide play from wingbacks to try and play balls into the box seems the best way to goal for the opposition here, and that's hardly a guaranteed source of goals. Ask Moyes :p

Oaencha

Both of you have excellent teams. Very difficult to decide and I'm going to need to have a think before I vote. Main thoughts so far...

• Skizzo's attack is class; there's just so many different threats.
  • Skizzo has a top defence but it's very narrow. Would be exploited by a team with wingers.
  • Raees has quality in midfield but I'm not entirely sure about Desailly and Redondo as a two man combo.
  • Raees has an awesome back three but are Zambrotta and Gerets good enough to dominate both sides of the pitch?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Baresi up the middle and Schiaffino and Gullit deeper causes different problems for them. Now you're taking your two creative players farther from the goal, and leaving more space at the back to exploit. What space does Baresi step out into that doesn't leave a problem area for any of Romario, Stoichkov or Kubala to exploit?
I don't think there is any specific requirement for them to play different. It's just the natural way they play and they'll not be found lacking in that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Re Suarez defensive work. I'm not sure - @Joga Bonito highlighted that he put a shift in off the ball, relatively speaking at least. Obviously not just about running about in the crucial anchor role though. And Pep was always a waif of a player, whose positioning was good, but lacked much defensive presence.

idmanager

Cheers for the comments. While I agree defensively Pep offered a little more than Suarez, it's balanced in a few ways.

Firstly, there's no AM in the opposition, at least not in the traditional sense. Meaning both offensively and defensively his role is slightly less demanding.

Secondly, we've added much more defensive ability all around him. With Neeskens and Luis Enrique in the midfield ahead, and Thuram and Segarra both offering a more solid base at the back, without losing the ability to stretch to full back areas when necessary.
Playing a proper AM here with 2 strikers ahead against the 3 CBs and no DM while looking tempting, it leaves hardly any support for the wing backs.
Gullit and Schaffino both fill a few versatile boxes in the roles assigned here.

This game would either need a defensive master class with a narrow 0-1 scoreline for Milan or a high scoring victory for Barcelona.
One of those games where the scorer of the first goal decides the outcome.
Personally, I would have voted without a second thought for Barcelona if not for Suarez who leaves a easier way in for Milan to the goal.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Re Suarez defensive work. I'm not sure - @Joga Bonito highlighted that he put a shift in off the ball, relatively speaking at least. Obviously not just about running about in the crucial anchor role though. And Pep was always a waif of a player, whose positioning was good, but lacked much defensive presence.
Indeed, his time at Inter under Herrera's tutelage meant that he was really an astute player off the ball and was capable of putting in a shift whilst also being a decent ball-winner at times. Defensively I have no issue with that midfield at all, put Pirlo in there and people wouldn't bat an eye as it's simply Luis Enrique and Neeskens who are primarily tasked with the heavy-lifting.

Also as you said Suarez wasn't just a headless chicken but was a pretty tactically wily player himself, there were times when Bedin was tasked with man-marking the opposition forward and it was almost like as though he was an extra defender at times, whilst Suarez (with the aid of Corso) had to play a more postionally aware role.

I'd rate Suarez's defensive game ahead of Pep's for that matter.

That being said, I can see where people are coming with Suarez being potentially limited offensively, but the presence of two extremely dynamic and tactically intelligent midfielders in Enrique (esp him) and Neeskens should free him up relatively more and he isn't playing an exclusive 'holding role' here imo.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

This one is tough to decide, main question mark for me is @Raees midfield two, ones a destroyer and the other is DLP, leaving a gap between central midfield and Nordahl this also allows Suarez to run the show.
I wouldnt reduce Redondo just to the description of DLP. Thats a pigeon hole. I envision more like 94 WC Redondo after Diego went home when he really was all over pitch and really a roaming playmaker.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Hey mate.. Before we tackle the Redondo topic, Schiaffino played as an inside left/number 10 for Uruguay and Milan, and as we know Gullit can operate anywhere including as an attacking midfielder so the gap between midfield and Nordahl is non existent as we have two guys who are famed for dropping into the hole as well as in wider positions.

As for Redondo, he is not no Xabi Alonso DLP, he is much more than that. He's a DLP/B2B midfielder rolled into one.

Monster of a player, he's up against Keane, Scholes, Davids and is not only bossing them, but demonstrating a mastery of both defence and attack which none of these guys can touch. He was on another level to them.

@Šjor Bepo @Oaencha with regards to Zambrotta.. think you guys are really underrating him. He was excellent on the ball...even wiki manages to nail his playing style

Zambrotta is regarded by pundits as one of Italy's greatest attacking full-backs/wing-backs.[51] Although naturally right-footed, he was an ambidextrous player who excelled both at offensive and defensive play, which made him tactically versatile, allowing him to be deployed on the left as well as on the right side of the pitch, as a full-back or wing-back in a 4 or 5-man defence, or even as a winger or wide midfielder, a position in which he was often played earlier on in his career.[4][51][52][53] His main attributes were his pace, marking ability, tackling, strength, tenacity, and stamina.[4][5][52][54] A tenacious and hard-working player, he was also gifted with good technique and ball skills, as well as an excellent crossing ability and a powerful shot from outside the area

To reiterate, Zambrotta scored 26 goals in his career...

• Cafu scored 15
  • Maldini scored 29
  • Nilton Santos scored 11
  • Krol Scored 24
  • Carbrini scored 38
  • Lahm scored 23
  • Eric Gerets scored 34
So both my full backs have decent goal scoring records. They obviously can't compete with a Brehme or Carlos due to their set piece prowess but from open play, they absolutely hold their own as wing backs and have been deployed there by their actual managers.

@Joga Bonito @Gio no one is questioning Suarez ability to put in a shift, but he is up against Schiaffino and Gullit.. even a specialist DM would struggle to keep those two on tabs, especially in a system where they can interchange as AM's and they're up against a three man backline which I think plays into their hands as well as Nordahls. I don't see Nordahl being a good match up for Koeman 1 v 1.

Last edited:

Skizzo

Playing a proper AM here with 2 strikers ahead against the 3 CBs and no DM while looking tempting, it leaves hardly any support for the wing backs.
Gullit and Schaffino both fill a few versatile boxes in the roles assigned here.

This game would either need a defensive master class with a narrow 0-1 scoreline for Milan or a high scoring victory for Barcelona.
One of those games where the scorer of the first goal decides the outcome.
Personally, I would have voted without a second thought for Barcelona if not for Suarez who leaves a easier way in for Milan to the goal.
If you want to talk about easier routes to goal, don't be caught thinking that it's Gigi Buffon in goal back there.

While Lorenzo Buffon was no mug, I'll share with you an excerpt from his Wiki page since it seemed to help for Zambrotta up there..

Wiki said:
he was also occasionally criticised throughout his career for being inconsistent, and for letting his mentality affect his performances.
While he still made a few hundred appearances for Milan, he's by no means the Buffon you'd want in goal, given the choice.

There's a reason there's no first name of the goalkeeper, and that's to just hope everyone assumes it's Gigi.

Skizzo

Would be a shame to not use @Joga Bonito's wrote up on Miramontes, as it's a fantastic read.

Quite possibly the greatest Spaniard ever (sorry Xavi :p), El Arquitecto was simply a playmaking maestro who had exquisite technique; possessed extraordinary footwork; exhibited an acute sense of tactical intelligence; was unrivalled when it came to his inch-perfect passing; thrived with creativity; and scored impressive goals.

He truly was in a class of his own. To date the only Spaniard to have won the prestigious Ballon d'Or, his individual pedigree was undeniable. From 1958 to 1965, he featured in every single Ballon d'Or shortlist, winning it on 1960, the silver ball on 1961, 1964, the bronze ball on 1965 and finishing 4th on 1959.

He is in the elite tier of footballers to have four top 3 Ballon d'Or finishes alongside Kopa, Cruyff, Ronaldo, Beckenbauer (5), Platini, Messi and C.Ronaldo.

Notice how the players in this esteemed list are either a goalscoring forward or a playmaking forward (except the freakish Kaiser) and not a deep playmaker in the vein of Suárez where he had three of his top 3 finishes.

Barcelona

Suarez began his ascension to the top at Barcelona, where he was the star (alongside Kubala) of a mouthwatering and a free flowing forward line featuring Kubala, Kocsis, Czibor and Evaristo - one of Barca's finest assembly of forwards ever. The mercurial Suárez led his side toe to toe with THAT Di Stefano's Real side featuring Puskas, Santamaria, Kopa, Rial and Gento.

Scoring a remarkable 112 goals in 216 games and creating many more as a goalscoring playmaker, he led Barca to 2 La Ligas, 2 Cops Del Rays and 2 UEFA Cups with that much vaunted Real side finishing second best at times.

In his final season for Barca, he had one of the most momentous games of his glittering career.

Having beaten the Belgian side Lierse by five goals in the first round, Barcelona were drawn once again with Real Madrid in the second round of the European Cup. With Herrera being dismissed as manager following Barca’s defeat in the previous season’s semi-finals against Real, much was at stake here.

Barcelona and Suárez faced an impossible task with Real having never lost a tie in the European Cup. Up until November 9th 1960, Real Madrid had played 15 home ties in the European Cup and had won them all with a combined aggregate score of 66-8, but on that day their run came to an end. Twice Real took the lead but twice their defence was unable to prevent an equaliser.

It was Luis Suárez who tore them a new one, scoring both goals for Barcelona, the first from a free-kick and the second a hotly disputed penalty just three minutes from the end. Barcelona, marshalled by the architect, won the tie back home and by doing so had done the unthinkable, nay the implausible. They had defeated Real feckin Madrid and that match more or less heralded the demise of Real's stronghold on Europe.

Any team that had finally ended Real’s European run would have celebrated wildly, but the fact that it was Barcelona, their deadliest rivals, meant that the celebrations were especially joyous with fireworks punctuating the Catalan night, with Suárez being hailed as a Catalan treasure for the ages.

Despite Suárez leading them to the final, Barca succumbed to Eusebio's Benfica due to those 2 accursed Hungarians :p.

Inter Milan

Falling prey to financial disarray, Barca had no option but to sell their star player to FC Internazionale of Italy for 25 million pesetas or €204,000, making Suárez the world’s most expensive footballer.

In Inter El Arquitecto displayed the true mark of a genius. He completely revamped his game from a playmaking 1 in 2 games goalscoring forward to a deep lying metronome. It only served to highlight his tactical nous and intelligence that he played both these roles to absolute perfection.

Suárez - "The Italian league had a reputation for being more defensive than it really was. Even so, teams' first priority was not to concede any goals and I came from a place with a different mindset," said the 74-year-old, on the contrast between Spanish and Italian football.

"At Barcelona I played as a goalscoring midfielder but (at Inter) I had to change for the good of the team and to win titles. At the end of the day, I think I was so successful because I made so many sacrifices for a sport I loved."

Suárez became the orchestrator and the lynch pin of the legendary La Grande Inter side featuring Facchetti, Picchi, Burgnich and Mazzola amongst others.

Although his goalscoring rate dropped drastically, Suárez delighted with his skills and tactical sense; his ability to direct play and launch toxic counterattacks, but still with the freedom of being his usual creative self. Helenio had once said of his playmaker, “Inter is great but Suárez is the prophet.” It was Suárez ’s job to create, which is how his new nickname ‘El Arquitecto’ (The Architect) came about. It was even said that he knew exactly where to place the ball even before receiving it!

Suárez still grappled onto the one thing which eluded him – the European Cup (UEFA Champions League). AC Milan had won it in ’63, and Inter was desperate to follow suit.

Just one year later the Nerazzurri got a chance by reaching the final for the first time in their history. And who would they face in the final? Well, none other than Los Blancos of course, who were still hunting their 6th title.

Memories came flooding back for Suárez as he once again faced off against the likes of Puskás, Gento and Di Stéfano. This time though, Inter came out victorious, thrashing Real Madrid to a 3-1 defeat with Suárez being the man of the match and the bane of Real yet again.

‘El Arquitecto’ also had the last laugh as he led his Inter to their second successive European Cup in ’65. Their opponents, Benfica, happened to be a team who Suárez had previously met, with Barça having lost the final. But this time fate would be on Suárez’s side – the winning side. In the Nerazzurri’s own San Siro stadium, Inter triumphed over the two-time former champions with a narrow 1-0 win, and for Suárez it was nothing short of a sweet, sweet victory.

With Inter Suárez won 3 Series A, 2 European Cups and 2 Intercontinental Cups to add to his already impressive trophy haul.

Importance to catenaccio tactics and Inter

Suarez's importance to Inter and their meticulous tactical plan can be accurately portrayed via their loss against Celtic in the 1967 European Cup final.

The European campaign had been going to plan with Inter dispatching holders Real with Suárez being imperious once again.

Just as in the final three years earlier, Real Madrid were defeated by Inter’s catenaccio tactics. They could find no way past the door bolt in Milan and were defeated by a single goal from Cappellini who had only just returned to Inter following a spell on loan to Genoa.

The second leg in the Bernabeu saw Real face the wrath of their 120,000 fans as they were comfortably despatched by the Italians. Their task was made almost impossible on 23 minutes when Real’s goalkeeper failed to hold on to a shot from Domenghini and Cappellini was the first to react and score his second goal of the tie.

Just before the hour, Suarez, who had brilliantly marshalled Inter’s solid defence, beat three defenders on a solo run before scoring the goal that put the tie beyond doubt.

This was all too much for the home supporters to take. One supporter hurled a live chicken at Gento after he missed an easy chance, while another fan ran onto the pitch brandishing a scarlet bullfighters cape. He proceeded to make several imaginary passes to show the Real players their way to goal. At the final whistle the Real players, several of them in tears, left the pitch to the sound of booing.

Real’s hopes of winning a seventh European title were finished, but Internazionale were safely into the semi-finals with their biggest threat knocked out.

Spanish fans and their poultry :lol::lol::lol:

Unfortunately Suárez was injured in the semi final and his absence in the final heavily crippled Inter despite the likes of Facchetti, Corso, Burgnich, Mazzola and Picchi still featuring.

Inter typically took the early 1-0 lead and sat back. They actually defended quite well and restricted Celtic to long shots. However, they lacked the crucial piece which completed the jigsaw puzzle and tied it all together, Luis Suárez.

Celtic’s two attacking wingers ran at the Inter defence, their two forwards caused havoc in the middle, their two central midfielders pressed forward, while Inter’s policy of leaving just one man up front left Celtic’s full backs free to join in with the attacks.

With no Suarez to set Inter away on their counter attacks, the Italians just fell back into their penalty area as wave upon wave of Celtic attacks rained in on them.

Without no outball and a lack of a counter threat, Inter inevitably succumbed to the relentless pressure. The gulf between the midfield was apparent for all to see with Auld and Murdoch running havoc unopposed in midfield.

Don't take my word for it, just watch the 3 CL finals that Inter played in the 60s and you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Rarely could a playmaking genius have been so crucial to an extremely defensive tactic. Inter's quick and direct counter attacks, transition which ideally relied on no more than 3 direct passes, were almost solely dependent on Suárez.

Skizzo

And while shamelessly re-posting great write ups...here's @Enigma_87's on Kubala, to complement my post on him in the main thread

Man, Myth or a Legend - Ladislao Kubala

The man who built Camp Nou.

Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, etc - forwards who dazzle the world and attract fans regardless of club favorites. They are under the full media highlight and attention. Alas that is not the case with Ladislao Kubala - the man who created miracles that were never taped at the time.

Camp Nou in Barcelona is one of the most beautiful stadiums in Europe, carries a peculiar name: "The home that Kubala built". Kubala was a player, forward, whose art on the football pitch made building that grand stadium a required task. During the 50's just about everyone wanted to watch Kubala live.

During those times the game was not all about physical qualities but more elegance, more artistic. Alfredo Di Stefano, the blond arrow, at the time bold arrow would be more apt, carried and caressed the ball in such manner that everybody was lost for words expecting the next beautiful move and another spectacle at the Bernabeu.

Kubala - the biggest opponent of Di Stefano when it comes to expressing himself on the pitch was a player that did his trade in the rival Barcelona. His style was not always that intense like Di Stefano's and is probably one of the few artists left at that time - like the Brazillian Arthur Friedenreich, the world champion from 1930 - Jose Andrade and the "Paper man" Matthias Sindelaar.

During his early years Kubala plays for Budapest Ferencváros. Ever since then he's described as one of those offensive players that creates the chances for himself and his excellent finishing ability was well appreciated at the time. At the age of 17 he's called for international duty to play for Hungary. He had a little time tho showcase his talent at the time tho, as he deserts his military duty in Czechoslovakia and after tough few months he receives an offer to play for Bratislava - a team which becomes a champion at the tender age of 19-20 and immediately receives a call for the Czechoslovakia national team as well.

In 1948 he returns to Hungary to play for Vasas along with other greats at the time - Puskas and Hidegkuti. Just a year later however, he decides to ditch the communist regime at the time and flees to Austria then to Italy to play for Pro-patria, then a game for Torino. Whilst at Torino for his fortune he wasn't part of the team that flew over the Alps and unfortunately crashed as Hunary at the time accuses Kubala of being a traitor and not fulfuling his contract with Vasas at the time. He was later banned for a year and along with couple of friends he founds "Hungaria" - an amateur team that was touring around Europe playing some exhibition games.

There were all sorts of players in that team, but none close to the technical ability, vision and talent that Kubala possessed. He had a phenomenal shot and read the game like nobody else at the time. In the Summer of 1950 that amateur team nearly brought the Spanish national team at the time at the brink of defeat. That day was a day to remember for all Spanish and Barcelona supporters as Pepe Samitier - a club legend and director at the time approaches Kubala and offers to change his fortune.

When Kubala landed in the Spanish League he became a top-notch scorer, despite his favorite position being the right interior, in charge of assisting César or launching balls to the wingers. His love of tactics made him come up with an almost childish, but utterly effective, way of driving rival defenses dizzy: He alternates his position with César’s. With just a look of acknowledgement, one fell back to take the defender out of his position while the other moved into the center of the attack.

And indeed he does - his ban is lifted while in the meantime Real Madrid approaches Kubala as well trying to get him to Bernabeu. Kubala firmly denies and eventually becomes the highest buy for Barcelona at the time. On 2nd of April 1951 he plays his first game for Barcelona and immediately receives a call up for the Spanish national side. For Spain he plays 19 games scoring 11 goals. Unfortunately at the time he never gets the chance to play in WC tournament.

Una leyenda

Contrary to his international career his club one is something to brag about. Along with other Barca attackers - Basora, César, Manchón, Moreno he wins everything in sight in his first three seasons in Catalunia. In his 11 years at Barca he scores impressive 243 goals in 329 games. His exquisite vision, impeccable reading of the game, perfectly weighted and time passes along with his genius way of thinking dazzled a whole generation. A generation that he undoubtedly ruled on his own. As usually at the time he was often brutally fouled, upended and kicked about, but his physique and will on the pitch was really something special.

In his first season he led the club to victory in the Generalisimo’s Cup. The season after was even more successful – with Kubala scoring 26 goals in 19 games, a record comparable with the phenomenal feats of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lio Messi in today’s game, and Barcelona won all 5 competitions it entered.

Kubala's success continued - another three league titles, four domestic cups and even two Inter-Cities Fairs Cups followed the five-trophy season, but there was one title that would remain conspicuous in its absence.

In 1961, having eliminated Real Madrid in the first round, Barca lost the European Cup final 3-2 to Benfica. Kubala, who was by then in his mid-30s, hit the post twice against the Portuguese club. That Kubala is remembered as one of Barcelona's greatest ever despite failing to win the European Cup perhaps says as much about his class as converting one of those two chances in the final would have.

Kubala was a revolutionary, and his story is proof of the fact that Barcelona, and by extension Spanish football, dismisses the lessons that can be derived from his evolution, ignores that historical memory from which so much might be extracted. Very few know and recognize in this day and age that Kubala deserves the role of a visionary capable of opening a new era, later shared with his friend Di Stefano, another genius who changed the personality and fate of his institution.

With Kubala came modern times. He was Picasso in his area. He and Di Stefano were friends, both revolutionaries who are comparable philosophically. If Kubala is a pioneer of the current Barcelona model, Di Stéfano also deserves a highlighted place for inspiring that air of a team unable to give up in his Real Madrid, something that still prevails in last minute comebacks when fury is unleashed at the Bernabéu.

Kubala had everything, and watching the still-impressive footage of him in his pomp, it isn't difficult to believe that assessment. Incredibly robust thanks to his love of amateur boxing, he was also capable of pirouetting on the ball or using a drag-back to dumbfound defenders and goalkeepers. To top it off, he possessed a finishing touch.

Some nice videos of him:

https://www.footbie.com/video/ladislao-kubala-fc-barcelona-legend

The title of Frederic Porta's 2012 biography of Kubala is "The Hero Who Changed Barca's History," and that phrase sums up his importance to the club. A before-and-after moment is marked by his arrival: Without him, Barcelona's trophy cabinet would be significantly less full, and without his ability to fill Les Corts to the rafters, the plans to build the Camp Nou may not have pressed ahead.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Two excellent sides that really stay true to the teams (or style) they revolve around. Objectively, there's absolutely nothing wrong with either, only room for personal pet peeves.

So it's a matter of comparing tactical strengths and weaknesses.

Skizzo advantages: control possession and proceedings for extended periods. Robust as Redondo-Desailly are, they may as well not be there at times. The key with Koeman and Guardiola (whom I prefer to Suárez here as well, not for defensive reasons but proven record in modern setups) is they can bypass/take them both out of the equation with one swing of their boot. Could also do as much with the high defensive line.

Raees advantages: resilient defence and width. With a back three, Skizzo's worst nightmare is facing a great front trio with excellent wingbacks either side. Schiaffino also is the worst sort of playmaker Skizzo could face, one that doesn't rely on dribbling or individual heroics but one that X-rays a defence, finds all the weaknesses in it and then guts it mercilessly making the Saw saga look PG. If there's a defensive setup that could be picked apart, that's the Dream Team's.

All in all, a cracking game and clash of styles. Skizzo will be more aggressive and come out of the gates trodding all over Raees, will likely score 1/2 goals in the first half but the Milanese will keep at it and grind their way back.

Skizzo can control possession and dominate large chunks of the game but it is Raees' side that has the players and mindset to actually control the moments and outcome of the game. When all is done and dusted, they'll have made more damage.

Skizzo

Two excellent sides that really stay true to the teams (or style) they revolve around. Objectively, there's absolutely nothing wrong with either, only room for personal pet peeves.

So it's a matter of comparing tactical strengths and weaknesses.

Skizzo advantages: control possession and proceedings for extended periods. Robust as Redondo-Desailly are, they may as well not be there at times. The key with Koeman and Guardiola (whom I prefer to Suárez here as well, not for defensive reasons but proven record in modern setups) is they can bypass/take them both out of the equation with one swing of their boot. Could also do as much with the high defensive line.

Raees advantages: resilient defence and width. With a back three, Skizzo's worst nightmare is facing a great front trio with excellent wingbacks either side. Schiaffino also is the worst sort of playmaker Skizzo could face, one that doesn't rely on dribbling or individual heroics but one that X-rays a defence, finds all the weaknesses in it and then guts it mercilessly making the Saw saga look PG. If there's a defensive setup that could be picked apart, that's the Dream Team's.

All in all, a cracking game and clash of styles. Skizzo will be more aggressive and come out of the gates trodding all over Raees, will likely score 1/2 goals in the first half but the Milanese will keep at it and grind their way back.

Skizzo can control possession and dominate large chunks of the game but it is Raees' side that has the players and mindset to actually control the moments and outcome of the game. When all is done and dusted, they'll have made more damage.
Cheers for the post Anto, and for posting your reasoning etc.

The only thing I'd question, as I don't want to try and argue opinions, is how you see it playing out quite as you suggested.

We come out of the gate and go up a goal or two. You've said yourself that we'll control large portions of the game and proceedings. With the opposition grinding away and pushing up to look for an equalizer (or pulling a goal back) then all it takes is one swing of the boot from Koeman et al to set us charging forward into even more space. Exactly the type of game that would benefit a team with a front three of Stoichkov/Romario/Kubala. Neeskens and Enrique would have no problem tracking extra players who attack from deep as the Milan side pushes up. I just don't see how they'd be able to grind their way back into the game without giving up more goals.

Skizzo

Heading to bed but should be back in the AM here to check and answer and questions/feedback.

I would say that if you have the time to give it a watch, the video posted in the OP is worth it. Not in English, but you can still follow along and get the idea of what's being discussed and highlighted.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
vs

........................................... TEAM SKIZZO ........................................................................................ TEAM RAEES ...........................................

TEAM SKIZZO

Tactics - 343

Tactics - Cruyff's Barcelona Dream Team Inspired.

Inspired by the revolutionary coach, I chose to follow a different path for a Barcelona team, rather than the modern version we see pop up in drafts so often these days. Instead, I decided to go with what laid the foundation for the modern juggernaut, and model my team on the original Dream Team.

While a like-for-like rendition was always a possibility, I also wanted to upgrade where possible, and also pay homage to some of the greatest players to wear the Barcelona shirt.
Top. Cruyff's Barcelona Dream Team is one of my tactical options in this draft :D but I have to do some research!

DISCLAIMER: both teams are flawless tactically and would work brilliantly but it's a draft so let's make this thread living

Your casting is perfect even if I would have preferred Guardiola to be part of the starting 11 instead of Luis Enrique. Guardiola is really the player #1 that symbolizes this style of play IMO.

Simplicity, intelligence and short/long sharp passing skills. If my memories are good, the 2 most important players of Barcelona early 2000s were Rivaldo & the brain Guardiola

And when Cruyff makes his all-time team: you have >>> Beckenbauer+ Carlos Alberto + Garrincha+ Charlton + Maradona + Pelé.... and Guardiola

The former Barcelona player Thiago Motta (35 years this month) is extremely similar to Guardiola in terms of style of play and passing skills.

The following video about this philosophy is very great

----------------- Laudrup
---- Miramontes (to have more freedom offensively) ------------ Neeskens
---------------- Guardiola

:angel:

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Top. Cruyff's Barcelona Dream Team is one of my tactical options in this draft :D but I have to do some research!

Your casting is perfect even if I would have preferred Guardiola to be part of the starting 11 instead of Luis Enrique. Guardiola is really the player #1 that symbolizes this style of play IMO.

Simplicity, intelligence and short/long sharp passing skills. If my memories are good, the 2 most important players of Barcelona early 2000s were Rivaldo & the brain Guardiola

And when Cruyff makes his all-time team: you have >>> Beckenbauer+ Carlos Alberto + Garrincha+ Charlton + Maradona + Pelé.... and Guardiola

The former Barcelona player Thiago Motta (35 years this month) is extremely similar to Guardiola in terms of style of play and passing skills. The following video is very great

:angel:
Hope Skizzo doesn't mind me chipping in on Guardiola but currently doing some research on midfielders and how DLP's should be differentiated to regista's i.e. Xabi Alonso is different to Xavi in terms of where he is positioned on the pitch and how Pirlo falls in between.

Anyway it got me thinking about Guardiola, who is one of the most unique midfielders of the modern era. Funnily enough all his protege's or guys who worshipped him had very different games to him, albeit Xavi came closest in terms of their love of possession.. but Xavi's position was that of an orthodox CM, whereas Guardiola was the man who picked the ball off the CB's ala Busquets, yet controlled the game from that position like a Xavi/Pirlo.

Like @Gio said, his defensive side was almost non-existent, but his touch/vision/pace of the pass/execution of the pass/decision making were flawless. He was a blend of Xavi/Pirlo.

Never gets enough credit IMO, as I don't think Barcelona went on to enjoy the success they should have done post 1992 for that side, but Guardiola for me is one of the best DLP's of all time and a wonderful player to watch. I totally understand why Cruyff absolutely adored him and had him in his all time XI.. he is Barca DNA in a nutshell.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hey mate.. Before we tackle the Redondo topic, Schiaffino played as an inside left/number 10 for Uruguay and Milan, and as we know Gullit can operate anywhere including as an attacking midfielder so the gap between midfield and Nordahl is non existent as we have two guys who are famed for dropping into the hole as well as in wider positions.

As for Redondo, he is not no Xabi Alonso DLP, he is much more than that. He's a DLP/B2B midfielder rolled into one.

Monster of a player, he's up against Keane, Scholes, Davids and is not only bossing them, but demonstrating a mastery of both defence and attack which none of these guys can touch. He was on another level to them.

@Šjor Bepo @Oaencha with regards to Zambrotta.. think you guys are really underrating him. He was excellent on the ball...even wiki manages to nail his playing style

Zambrotta is regarded by pundits as one of Italy's greatest attacking full-backs/wing-backs.[51] Although naturally right-footed, he was an ambidextrous player who excelled both at offensive and defensive play, which made him tactically versatile, allowing him to be deployed on the left as well as on the right side of the pitch, as a full-back or wing-back in a 4 or 5-man defence, or even as a winger or wide midfielder, a position in which he was often played earlier on in his career.[4][51][52][53] His main attributes were his pace, marking ability, tackling, strength, tenacity, and stamina.[4][5][52][54] A tenacious and hard-working player, he was also gifted with good technique and ball skills, as well as an excellent crossing ability and a powerful shot from outside the area

To reiterate, Zambrotta scored 26 goals in his career...

• Cafu scored 15
  • Maldini scored 29
  • Nilton Santos scored 11
  • Krol Scored 24
  • Carbrini scored 38
  • Lahm scored 23
  • Eric Gerets scored 34
So both my full backs have decent goal scoring records. They obviously can't compete with a Brehme or Carlos due to their set piece prowess but from open play, they absolutely hold their own as wing backs and have been deployed there by their actual managers.

@Joga Bonito @Gio no one is questioning Suarez ability to put in a shift, but he is up against Schiaffino and Gullit.. even a specialist DM would struggle to keep those two on tabs, especially in a system where they can interchange as AM's and they're up against a three man backline which I think plays into their hands as well as Nordahls. I don't see Nordahl being a good match up for Koeman 1 v 1.
Cheers for the videos and explanation, he really was a beast. But personally i prefer him deeper but can see the argumnt for the role you have for him.

And i agree with you about Zambrotta getting under rated, played at the highest level and was a key attacking outlet for that Italian 06 WC winning team.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Very strong defensively. An aggressive team built to counter-attack.

Clash Artists La Liga versus defensive-minded Serie A

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Very strong defensively. An aggressive team built to counter-attack.

Clash Artists La Liga versus defensive-minded Serie A
Yeah it really is a classic Attack v Defence match, a real 'Hollywood' game in that sense.

What I will say is that in reality the 'bad guys' would IMO win as long as they have class defenders with high level of concentration/discipline, can pass their way out of pressure situations and start counters/have a fluid attack with passers/hardnose killers who can put teams to the sword.

The blueprint for our team is the following matches... uber attacking sides, against defensively minded sides but which possessed great quality throughout the side:
  • 74 World Cup Final
  • 93/94 Final to Capello's Milan
  • 09/10 Semi to Mourinho's Inter

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This is a very difficult one to decide and i've gone with Skizzo in the end, although i appreciate the art of defence,when it comes down to fine margins i prefer the attacking philosophies over the defensive.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Cheers for the post Anto, and for posting your reasoning etc.

The only thing I'd question, as I don't want to try and argue opinions, is how you see it playing out quite as you suggested.

We come out of the gate and go up a goal or two. You've said yourself that we'll control large portions of the game and proceedings. With the opposition grinding away and pushing up to look for an equalizer (or pulling a goal back) then all it takes is one swing of the boot from Koeman et al to set us charging forward into even more space. Exactly the type of game that would benefit a team with a front three of Stoichkov/Romario/Kubala. Neeskens and Enrique would have no problem tracking extra players who attack from deep as the Milan side pushes up. I just don't see how they'd be able to grind their way back into the game without giving up more goals.
Teams chasing a game won't always expose themselves badly. It holds true with >90% of the teams. THAT team though would have the confidence in its own capabilities to stick to the gameplan.

Coming back from two down could be difficult indeed, but at 1-0 or 2-1 down by HT I see Raees having this by FT. He just has a better defence and some strikingly clearcut routes to goal.

Of course, it may turn into a goalfest that goes either way, that would be typical of that Barca side. Just have to make a call between two sides I really like and, unfortunately for you, I'm only too aware of how vulnerable Cruyff's defence was.

Edit: maybe I should have said "even if". The other scenario where you concede first is exactly what a team like @Raees' is built for.

Last edited:

MJJ

Teams chasing a game won't always expose themselves badly. It holds true with >90% of the teams. THAT team though would have the confidence in its own capabilities to stick to the gameplan.

Coming back from two down could be difficult indeed, but at 1-0 or 2-1 down by HT I see Raees having this by FT. He just has a better defence and some strikingly clearcut routes to goal.

Of course, it may turn into a goalfest that goes either way, that would be typical of that Barca side. Just have to make a call between two sides I really like and, unfortunately for you, I'm only too aware of how vulnerable Cruyff's defence was.
Thats a weird way of thinking, not many teams come back from being two down and unless you believe skizzo side has some stamina issue, it is illogical to assume they will go two nil up and then three two down.