The 4-Way Draft R1: Skizzo vs Raees

With players at peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

idmanager

I myself am torn to bits and did consider switching to skizzo a few hours back, but switching due to the GK name (and not his game) is kind of funny and unfair.

Enigma_87

You know who
wow is it over yet? Completely missed the poll, I thought the game was due today.

Moby

Dick
Jesus, what a silly thing to change votes based on an assumption which is most likely bollocks given no one would think of doing that especially with a keeper. Embarrassing really.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Considering how high GK's are usually rated in these drafts as a difference maker I really doubt @Raees was doing this intentionally.
I've lost votes simply for fielding Shay Given :lol:

Jesus, what a silly thing to change votes based on an assumption which is most likely bollocks given no one would think of doing that especially with a keeper. Embarrassing really.
There's nothing silly or embarrassing about changing a vote. Many don't even give reasons and in a match this tight, however flimsy the reason is, it's never silly or embarrassing. I've seen even experienced drafters voting simply because they like certain players.

Oaencha

Not elite enough to impact the game despite not facing a fullback at all? Interesting.
I'm not in any way saying he won't make an impact; just not dominate the whole flank. Also, Segarra and Thuram are clearly primed fo cover full back positions.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not exceedingly flimsy either, if they genuinely thought gamesmanship was behind it.

As said above this exact thing has been pulled before as gamesmanship. The fact that the restrictions mean it can't possibly be Gigi is irrelevant. You can't expect all voters to be aware of such details, and the OP doesn't highlight the restrictions either. To a random fecker who spots the thing the most obvious reaction isn't necessarily «ah, yer classic honest mistake there, he forgot the Lorenzo bit».

Tough luck for an honest man, sure. But it could've been easily avoided.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Definitely.

I've lost votes simply for fielding Shay Given :lol:

There's nothing silly or embarrassing about changing a vote. Many don't even give reasons and in a match this tight, however flimsy the reason is, it's never silly or embarrassing. I've seen even experienced drafters voting simply because they like certain players.
Of course it is. You can have a laugh, a bit of ribbing, but it should have nowt to do with the vote (unless you genuinely voted based on the difference between both Buffons which I doubt anyone did).

It's a copout at best and usually just an excuse to post "Uh... dishonest" or whatever sat-on-a-high-horse stance of choice. The fact is it's typically the ones who don't comment or have anything much to contribute that suddenly start making a huge fuss over nothing. It is always invariably the same pattern with this sort of thing which influences results despite having nothing to do with the actual game.

People spend weeks drafting, hours researching, watching and getting excited about their teams... then some dipshit pops in and makes it all about himself and his faux outrage. feck off, that's exactly why I don't do drafts any more.

The upside is @Skizzo didn't really deserve a first round exit. Fantastic remake.

Enigma_87

You know who
Definitely.

The upside is @Skizzo didn't really deserve a first round exit. Fantastic remake.
Agree on both accounts. It's pretty harsh on @Raees especially it seems to be in the dying minutes going from 2-3 votes up to 1 vote loss.

Skizzo's team is top notch tho and an improvement on the weak spots of Cruyff's Barca so really hard to separate both of them.

Skizzo

Well this was quite a turn of events. Went to catch up on some GoT and here we are.

Hard done by @Raees bit of a shit way to end things after a good match all round. Didn't deserve an ending like that. Hell of a team and presented brilliantly.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Of course it is. You can have a laugh, a bit of ribbing, but it should have nowt to do with the vote (unless you genuinely voted based on the difference between both Buffons which I doubt anyone did).

It's a copout at best and usually just an excuse to post "Uh... dishonest" or whatever sat-on-a-high-horse stance of choice. The fact is it's typically the ones who don't comment or have anything much to contribute that suddenly start making a huge fuss over nothing. It is always invariably the same pattern with this sort of thing which influences results despite having nothing to do with the actual game.

People spend weeks drafting, hours researching, watching and getting excited about their teams... then some dipshit pops in and makes it all about himself and his faux outrage. feck off, that's exactly why I don't do drafts any more.
For me, people who don't vote because match is too tight are more of copouts than somehow who puts his vote to a side. Can't complain much as I've done it myself too. If the voter felt this was not above board, then why should it be faux outrage?

Maybe GK was a factor, maybe they felt one manager got an unjust advantage it's up to them to make their choice. You can't complain that their choices are not acceptable to you.

In a close game, there's always the chance of losing to a throwaway vote. Part and parcel of the game. Every drafter who participates understands this.

antohan

For me, people who don't vote because match is too tight are more of copouts than somehow who puts his vote to a side. Can't complain much as I've done it myself too.
Better that they don't vote at all than vote for the losing side "because it feels like a draw" cancelling out a legit vote for a win in the process. In fact, that's exactly the reason why we made the score hidden, because it was an issue.

If the voter felt this was not above board, then why should it be faux outrage?
Because there's no grounds to believe it was underhand. It's a Milan side, Gigi Buffon never played for Milan so he couldn't have picked him.

Maybe GK was a factor, maybe they felt one manager got an unjust advantage it's up to them to make their choice. You can't complain that their choices are not acceptable to you.
You are clutching at straws, we all know not a single vote in this game went down to Gigi or his uncle (a cracking goalie) being in goal.

In a close game, there's always the chance of losing to a throwaway vote. Part and parcel of the game. Every drafter who participates understands this.
He was winning by two and lost by one. It wasn't more votes ouring in, just three switches (10% of the total votes switching at the death over nothing). We all know votes can go down to the most basic pet peeves ("I hate X", "I love Y"), what I'm taking issue with is this herd mentality of ganging up on someone over nothing.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I recall a tactical masterclass in which a team of big names were stifled and nullified by the better drilled minnow in your classic underdog prevails story!

There were also suspicions that derogatory comments made by his manager in the past had a negative impact on one of your star attackers!
Bingo.

Oaencha

I just voted for Skizzo in the end because of his attack. I don't care at all about Buffon. It was seriously close and both teams are great.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I recall a tactical masterclass in which a team of big names were stifled and nullified by the better drilled minnow in your classic underdog prevails story!

There were also suspicions that derogatory comments made by his manager in the past had a negative impact on one of your star attackers!
It gave us this classic draft moment

MJJ

Better that they don't vote at all than vote for the losing side "because it feels like a draw" cancelling out a legit vote for a win in the process. In fact, that's exactly the reason why we made the score hidden, because it was an issue.

Because there's no grounds to believe it was underhand. It's a Milan side, Gigi Buffon never played for Milan so he couldn't have picked him.

You are clutching at straws, we all know not a single vote in this game went down to Gigi or his uncle (a cracking goalie) being in goal.

He was winning by two and lost by one. It wasn't more votes ouring in, just three switches (10% of the total votes switching at the death over nothing). We all know votes can go down to the most basic pet peeves ("I hate X", "I love Y")
Nothing in the OP says it's a Milan side, not sure why you are using that as a justification for people knowing which buffoon it was.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Congrats @Skizzo . Looking forward to seeing how you upgrade the side and it's probably one of the better back 3s or Dream Team inspired set-ups that we've seen around here. After all we've been subjected to some truly horrific and repeated attempts at the unorthodox back 3 templates (*Ahem* @Edgar Allan Pillow jk) :D

Commiserations @Raees , must be tough to stomach an exit in that manner. Great team to say the least.

Skizzo

Congrats @Skizzo . Looking forward to seeing how you upgrade the side and it's probably one of the better back 3s or Dream Team inspired set-ups that we've seen around here. After all we've been subjected to some truly horrific and repeated attempts at the unorthodox back 3 templates (*Ahem* @Edgar Allan Pillow jk) :D

Commiserations @Raees , must be tough to stomach an exit in that manner. Great team to say the least.
TBH I'm not even sure where to start upgrading :lol: I'm happy with the front 4. Maybe a tweak to the midfield or back 3.

Part of me would want to try and tweak different Barcelona set ups, but would require too many reinforcements to alter it as necessary.

antohan

TBH I'm not even sure where to start upgrading :lol: I'm happy with the front 4. Maybe a tweak to the midfield or back 3.

Part of me would want to try and tweak different Barcelona set ups, but would require too many reinforcements to alter it as necessary.
I can't see you completing a switch to Pep's Barca. Too many players to change and would end up neither here nor there.

Two paths:

1) Polish the Dream Team: sideways tinkering but stick to the theme

2) Try to win: You will need four at the back. I'd do away with the pivot myself. Suárez isn't doing anything Koeman can't do stepping up to that space. A Suárez-Neeskens pairing would be great. Look at LvGs Ajax and how Rijkaard effectively did the job of two men.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I thought it was Gigi Buffon as well. There's nothing in the op that says it's a team built only with Milan players. And you can't expect everyone to read the main draft thread. Not saying Raees did it on purpose, but I'm sure many just assumed it was arguably the greatest goalkeeper of all time and not just a pretty great one from the 50's.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Nothing in the OP says it's a Milan side, not sure why you are using that as a justification for people knowing which buffoon it was.
Oh, don't be a dipshit, man.

Meaningless details, like who's actually on the pitch, shouldn't be brought up in these affairs.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
And you can't expect everyone to read the main draft thread.
Unless I'm mistaken people who are in the draft themselves thought it was Gigi. Probably didn't remember precisely what restriction R. was under.

Anyway, I don't know what the story is supposed to be here: The voters in question fancied R's team and voted for him - but when the chance came to gang up on him for no good reason, they jumped at it? Doesn't seem very likely. It would seem like a more logical conclusion that they genuinely thought he'd tried to pull a fast one - right or wrong.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
and we should change this because its wrong, keeper is as important as any other player, if not more important then some.....
I don't think any of us is capable to rate a GK like Buffon and - consequently - to assess the so-called gap between the GK.

Also, debates about GK are generally boring ad caricatural for my taste.

antohan

Unless I'm mistaken people who are in the draft themselves thought it was Gigi. Probably didn't remember precisely what restriction R. was under.
If it's a birthdate team involved fair enough, but it was clear as day you had a Barca side of Barca players vs. a Milan side with Milan players.

It's not people not remembering the restriction but not giving a second's thought to who is in goal.

On a less serious note, anyone remember the Adriano debacle? Someone decided halfway through drafting that the Adriano they had picked was the Barca fullback and not the striker :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If it's a birthdate team involved fair enough, but it was clear as day you had a Barca side of Barca players vs. a Milan side with Milan players.

It's not people not remembering the restriction but not giving a second's thought to who is in goal.
Doesn't matter why exactly they failed to factor in the restriction - they clearly didn't, which is very relevant if they genuinely thought R had played it somewhat dirty, and thus changed their vote.

The latter is what we're really talking about here, surely. The actual importance of Buffon, GOAT versus Buffon, great uncle of GOAT is negligible, as I doubt many voted for R based on who his GK was.

MJJ

Oh, don't be a dipshit, man.

Meaningless details, like who's actually on the pitch, shouldn't be brought up in these affairs.
Yeah personally I thought Raees had a pretty solid team but that defense becomes weak if you assume that it wasn't gigi buffon. That and the assumption it was done on purpose left a bad taste and edged it for skizzo in a close contest.

antohan

Doesn't matter why exactly they failed to factor in the restriction - they clearly didn't, which is very relevant if they genuinely thought R had played it somewhat dirty, and thus changed their vote.

The latter is what we're really talking about here, surely. The actual importance of Buffon, GOAT versus Buffon, great uncle of GOAT is negligible, as I doubt many voted for R based on who his GK was.
Votes should be about the XI vs XI contest. It's not a popularity contest. Voting for pity, for punishment, or based on some personal agenda alien to the game... it's all nonsense.

"With players at peak who will win?", not "did a manager try to pull the wool over your eyes".

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah personally I thought Raees had a pretty solid team but that defense becomes weak if you assume that it wasn't gigi buffon. That and the assumption it was done on purpose left a bad taste and edged it for skizzo in a close contest.
Perfectly reasonable.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Excellent teams @Raees @Skizzo ... great game.

Goalie made no difference for me (tbh, did think it was the more modern Buffon).... wouldn't pick one side purely on the goalie, DEFINITELY wouldn't change my vote over it and wouldn't think any of the experienced drafters would try and "cheat".

Both teams had some of my faves - Stam and Baresi are in my all time XI, but in the end, Skizzos front four (and Neeskens) edged it for me. Heart over head maybe ....