g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The 50 best managers in the world ranked (October 2022 by FourFourTwo)

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Solskjær should be on that list tbh. Around 45 or so.

Congratulations on falling for the Batsignal

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Zidane 5th better than Cruyff, Di Stefano and Beckenbauer, Best as 7th, Di Stefano as 12th, Cristiano Ronaldo better than Pele are just some of the unforgivable ones.
Yeah I mixed it up with something else but having Ronaldo ahead of pele is especially bad all things considered.

Castia

Eddie Howe…what he heck

Doing a very good job with Newcastle but Jesus he’s had a real mediocre career so far

Pintu

Arteta's FA cup > Tuchel's CL

Seems legit
He didn’t even win the FA in that period… This is the season he finished 8th and got knocked out of the FA by Saints in the third round…

Edit: I was wrong, it is the 21/22 season… Arteta lost to Nottingham (a championship side back then) in his first FA Cup game… He had no European competition to distract him. And he still failed to make the top 4..

Last edited:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
First and foremost, I'd like to thank Damien for creating this thread, because I feel like its been months since I posted in the Football Forum, and this title caught my attention.

If the list is predicated on relatively recent events which may explain why an established manager like Jose is so low for a manager of his stature, then I personally would've included Flemming Pedersen of FC Nordsjælland and Braga's Artur Jorge. Although, its worth noting I only watch or follow a handful of teams (Man Utd, FC Nordsjælland, Brighton, Getafe, Braga, Napoli, Sevilla, Arsenal) so please take what I say with a very large pinch of salt.

On a more positive note, I'm happy to see my second favourite manager in the game made the list in De Zerbi given I was a fervent admirer of his work at Sassuolo. To a lesser extent I'm happy to see the inclusion of Urs FIscher and Christian Streich. My favourite manager didn't make it, but I didn't expect him too given how this season's gone thus far.

Kaos

Top 3 is fair, the rest absolute nonsense. Arteta at 6th, Potter at 8th, Eddie feckin Howe at 13....I don't even know where to begin.

It seems like whoever curated this list has only watched premier league football, and just for the last year or so.

Ladron de redcafe

Zidane 5th better than Cruyff, Di Stefano and Beckenbauer, Best as 7th, Di Stefano as 12th, Cristiano Ronaldo better than Pele are just some of the unforgivable ones.
Yeah that was the most ridiculous thing on either list. Atleast they got the top 3 right here.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-best-managers-in-the-world-football
  1. Pep Guardiola
  2. Carlo Ancelotti
  3. Jurgen Klopp
  4. Antonio Conte
  5. Stefano Pioli
  6. Mikel Arteta
  7. Thomas Tuchel
  8. Graham Potter
  9. Julian Nagelsmann
  10. Diego Simeone
  11. Hans-Dieter Flick
  12. Christophe Galtier
  13. Eddie Howe
  14. Xavi
  15. Erik ten Hag
  16. Lionel Scaloni
  17. Christian Streich
  18. Roberto Mancini
  19. Urs Fischer
  20. Unai Emery
  21. Oliver Glasner
  22. Mauricio Pochettino
  23. Gian Piero Gasperini
  24. Arne Slot
  25. David Moyes
  26. Abel Ferreira
  27. Luciano Spalletti
  28. Julen Lopetegui
  29. Kasper Hjulmand
  30. Ange Postecoglou
  31. Marcelo Gallardo
  32. Tite
  33. Patrick Vieira
  34. Luis Enrique
  35. Jose Mourinho
  36. Ivan Juric
  37. Thomas Frank
  38. Regis Le Bris
  39. Marco Silva
  40. Simone Inzaghi
  41. Roberto De Zerbi
  42. Igor Tudor
  43. Lucien Favre
  44. Giovanni van Bronckhorst
  45. Paulo Fonseca
  46. Vincenzo Italiano
  47. Jesse Marsch
  48. Marco Rose
  49. Maurizio Sarri
  50. Gareth Southgate
A lot has happened the last few months and, following Argentina's World Cup win, Scaloni would probably be closing in on the top 10 if a new list was done again. They say their list is determined by ability as well as how much their team has achieved over the last 12 months with resources taken into account. Who would make your top 10 now?
This can't be serious with Arteta ranked #6 higher than Tuchel.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Conte’s rep will take a hit once he’s done at spurs.

Am I right in thinking that if this list was done as at October 2022, he’d have barely been in the Barca job for a full year, not won anything of note, except for the “we beat madrid 4-0 trophy” (unless there’s a cup Barca won last season which I missed?) and he’s ranked….14th in the world?

Unless of course we’re also ranking his work done at Al-Sadd (I don’t even know how he performed there), then we’re possibly missing a host of names who have dominated leagues outside of of Europe!

Actually, you know what, I’m giving this list way too much credit (outside of the top 3 which seems fair).

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It’s a good list to get angry at! I think De Zerbi should be above Potter now as Brighton are above Chelsea!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Excuse the abruptness of my question, what would your "heartfelt, considered list" look like?
The problem with such a query is that I'd have to do extensive research for the time period, double-check it and then weigh the pros and cons of each position until satisfied, which is a hell of a lot of work, work the makers of this list did not do.

A considered list would have whys and wherefores for everything and no flippancy at all; the way these managers are bracketed, you're actually left scratching your head (looking at you @JPRouve :lol: ) as you wonder how so-called professionals in a trade that deals solely with football can get it so badly wrong, or did they?

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Creating lists like this is not journalism. Creating practically any sort of list in which ranking can't be properly done due to the number of factors is lazy journalism, picking easier route to get clicks than doing something meaningful.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The problem with such a query is that I'd have to do extensive research for the time period, double-check it and then weigh the pros and cons of each position until satisfied, which is a hell of a lot of work, work the makers of this list did not do.

A considered list would have whys and wherefores for everything and no flippancy at all; the way these managers are bracketed, you're actually left scratching your head (looking at you @JPRouve :lol: ) as you wonder how so-called professionals in a trade that deals solely with football can get it so badly wrong, or did they?
There is no way to do a proper list based on the criteria that they used. For example if you use talent and performances how do you rate Fllick in 2021-2022? We are talking about a manager that has an extremely short career at the highest level and Germany didn't do well between October 2021 and October 2022.

Again if we use Deschamps and Mourinho as examples. How is it possible that Flick who has overall done less than both during his career as a manager and also done worse than both during the time period that FourFourTwo chose still manages to reach the top 20?

The list makes no sense even when you use their criteria. I wouldn't mind consistent results within a particular set of parameters but none of this makes sense. If they were consistent someone like Sampaoli would be hundreds of ranks above Marsch.

dasty

I think someone gave the author a list of 50 names, he tried sorting the first few out according to names he know, and then randomize the rest because he thought that since he doesn't know them then others won't as well. Unfortunately that's the standard of UK sports journalist at the moment.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

Forgive me if this come across as discourteous, but I think you could look at it from another perspective. You call it a "problem", but it could be an opportunity for you to showcase your knowledge, not to me, but to the you of yesterday. Just imagine your curiosity being aroused to a degree you didn't think was imaginable. I wouldn't think of it as something you'd "have to do", but rather something you get to do. And one of the Return in Investments would be your role in elevating not only the thread, but the forum as a collective by putting such thought in the respective post. As for the "hell lot of work " I'm confident in your ability that it would be worth the wait. I don't say that to undermine your feelings, I'm sure you have legitimate grievances, and one way to alleviate that would be to reach out to a poster you have a strong rapport with, and it could essentially be a mini project of sorts where you share your ideas with one another with the added bonus of your relationship being strengthened. Who knows, maybe JPR Trouve (I say him because you tagged him, but could be some1 else too) would be willing to undertake you in that project of showing the experts how its done, provided you asked him sincerely.

ScholesyTheWise

Comparing coaches' is harder / more futile / dafter than comparing players, I should think.
Too many parameters that make winning/losing tiles very circumstantial.

There's nothing parallel in the coaches' world to "Suarez is a better finisher than Neymar" or what have you.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There is a parallel universe where this ranking is spot on and there are like 3 comments below the article. Fourfourtwo goes bankrupt the next day.

RedDF

Stopped taking this seriously the minute I saw Xavi anywhere near it, he’s done nothing yet…

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Forgive me if this come across as discourteous, but I think you could look at it from another perspective. You call it a "problem", but it could be an opportunity for you to showcase your knowledge, not to me, but to the you of yesterday. Just imagine your curiosity being aroused to a degree you didn't think was imaginable. I wouldn't think of it as something you'd "have to do", but rather something you get to do. And one of the Return in Investments would be your role in elevating not only the thread, but the forum as a collective by putting such thought in the respective post. As for the "hell lot of work " I'm confident in your ability that it would be worth the wait. I don't say that to undermine your feelings, I'm sure you have legitimate grievances, and one way to alleviate that would be to reach out to a poster you have a strong rapport with, and it could essentially be a mini project of sorts where you share your ideas with one another with the added bonus of your relationship being strengthened. Who knows, maybe JPR Trouve (I say him because you tagged him, but could be some1 else too) would be willing to undertake you in that project of showing the experts how its done, provided you asked him sincerely.
As well as @JPRouve's post above, you'd need someone quite a bit more knowledgeable of the European, South American, international and also the unders scenes to do this kind of project justice. Maybe some years back I would have felt comfortable enough in my knowledge bank to attempt this, but over the past few years, I don't watch nearly enough football to be objective in my assessments over such a broad range of criteria and critical analyses.

You really would have to have your finger on the pulse to even have a hope of putting managers in order to 50 places, otherwise you'll start phoning it in at some point and no longer be objective, but rather, subjective and in over your head.

GlasgowCeltic

Southgate at 50 is hilarious, “we’re almost done but wait, I think we’ve forgotten someone…”

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The more I look at the list the dafter it gets. They have Le Bris at 38 and while we could say that it's nice that they put an unknown Ligue 1 manager that is doing a good job, it's an absolutely daft proposition, first because he has only been managing Lorient since July 2022 and that if you look at Ligue 1 there is no scenario where Le Bris is above Haise, Génésio, Clément or even Kombouaré since 2021 those are probably the best performing managers in France.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The more I look at the list the dafter it gets. They have Le Bris at 38 and while we could say that it's nice that they put an unknown Ligue 1 manager that is doing a good job, it's an absolutely daft proposition, first because he has only been managing Lorient since July 2022 and that if you look at Ligue 1 there is no scenario where Le Bris is above Haise, Génésio, Clément or even Kombouaré since 2021 those are probably the best performing managers in France.
You're still not over it :lol: