The Active Shooter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
No. That logic doesn't hold true at all. The fact that guns can kill at range allows people to kill in a far more impersonal way. There's less of a mental barrier to going on a killing spree than there would be if you had to go out and stab a bunch of people. Plus you have a method for instantaneous painless suicide at the end of it all. Not an option when you've just run over someone in your car.
Fair points.
Re mental illness, there's zero evidence that America has uniquely high rates of mental illness. They do tend to over-medicate but to infer from that these drugs randomly turn people into homicidal maniacs is a massive leap of faith.
But there is evidence that almost all of these shooters are on some kind of psychiatric meds.
Not trying to deflect or anything here, I agree that America needs much stricter gun laws. It's the combination of state altering meds and guns that makes it such an explosive coctail imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fair points.

But there is evidence that almost all of these shooters are on some kind of psychiatric meds.
Not trying to deflect or anything here, I agree that America needs much stricter gun laws. It's the combination of state altering meds and guns that makes it such an explosive coctail imo.
Is there? And even if every one of them is on psych meds you could still be confusing cause and effect. You have to be a deeply unhappy person to go off on a killing spree, so who's to say the meds weren't prescribed appropriately but only ended up delaying the inevitable? I mean it's actually possible that there would be more of these mass shootings if it wasn't for the intervention of psychiatric services.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
They have probably the same psychiatric rates as anyone ekse, just that the sick have free access to guns.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There's a high proportion of people who've been on anti-depressants in most developed countries but depression is commonly diagnosed and its an inward disorder where the patient suffers from within than lash out.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Is there? And even if every one of them is on psych meds you could still be confusing cause and effect. You have to be a deeply unhappy person to go off on a killing spree, so who's to say the meds weren't prescribed appropriately but only ended up delaying the inevitable? I mean it's actually possible that there would be more of these mass shootings if it wasn't for the intervention of psychiatric services.
Who knows. But surely it's worth taking a deeper look at it?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For sure. It's a bit of a red herring though. Every country should do its utmost to protect the mental health of its citizens. That should be a goal which is completely independent from the need to protect them from being shot, though. So it's irrelevant in the context of gun control.

Fully Fledged

I agree. I know somebody on psych meds and they are stable while they take them but you can see when they are skipping their medication.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
NRA backed congress members won't put any money towards a CDC study into gun violence, so that's why the NRA takes the blunt of the issue.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I know this is supposed to be serious, but (or rather butt):

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
They have probably the same psychiatric rates as anyone ekse, just that the sick have free access to guns.
Which is the crux of the issue really.

When you know your mental health issues are big and your country isn't doing enough to sort it out, giving the sick access to guns is basically saying to natural selection 'have at it'.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
A) Agreed.
B) Every time its bumped because people are having a conversation about gun control it just makes me think 'Oh another one?'
It feels like it's diminishing the importance of individual incidents by lumping them all in as a collective.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It feels like it's diminishing the importance of individual incidents by lumping them all in as a collective.
100% and that is an awful thing to say, but very true.

It's also kind of reducing the need for the gun control thread as often updates could be posted in both threads. At the same time this thread often descends (predictably so) in to gun control discussion and that thread then gets ignored even more.

Silva

Major shootings* still get their own threads. This seems to mostly be for the less impactful violence that happens on a daily basis.

*it's pretty fecked when you have to distinguish

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Sadly though, the idiots not doing anything about it and just giving out thoughts and prayers whilst spooning their guns are doing the diminishing.

It's reached saturation point. Eventually people will just stop caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.