g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The All-time Auction Draft

Annahnomoss

Riva
Greaves
Fontaine
Cantona
Elkjaer :(
Fritz Walter

Siviori
Hideguti
Kempes
Simonsen
Mazzola :eek:
Francescoli
Liedholm
Zito
Toninho Cerezo
Hamrin
Rahn

Blanc :eek:
Schulz

Some of the name which weren't picked -

We might as well pack our bags and close these drafts if that happened :lol:
Gunnar Nordahl missing too. Not sure why Nordahl is constantly missing in these, he was an absolute monster up front weighing in at 90 kg being 180 cm. For me he's one of the best strikers in history and very close behind to someone like Romario.

He's known as one of the most clinical strikers ever, but his powerful presence and hard work really makes him stand out. Constantly challenging the defense with penetrative runs and the amount of through balls he got the hold of through perfectly timed runs to shake off the defense was remarkable.

Top scorer in the league 9 times, as well as in the Olympics in 1948 that they won.
He scored more than one goal per game if we take a three year peak, 442 in 504 matches and at the international stage he scored 43 goals in 33 matches. It was not easier to score in the Italian league back then either, the average top scorer finished at similar amounts every year as these days. (20-30)

Only Nordahl has won 5 top scorer awards in the Serie A history, only Platini and Nordahl has won 3 consecutive ones. Nordahl is completely dominant, by having won 5 times in 6 seasons. Nobody else has even won it 4 times in their entire careers.

He dominated the box like Müller and was always in the right place after having made or found space for himself.

Gunnar Gren, known as "Professore" in Italy, was very all-round with fantastic technique, work rate, dribbling and defensive abilities. He was the primary play maker and passer of the trio and created goals with ease with his penetrative passing.

Not quite as good as Liedholm and Skoglund, and not a player for this draft in particular. But if you want a very old school central midfielder who was equally at ease orchestrating attacks, going on dribbling runs, setting up goals and defending then he's a great player.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm not going to claim these are awful omissions, but some more fullbacks/wing backs who are at least on par with some of those picked (if not a notch above in some cases): Armfield, Camacho (Real - the 80s man), Rats, Bezsonov, Pearce, Neal.

Moby

Dick
I remember someone was bidding on Camacho.

I don't think Gazza was picked, which is weird going by the reception he got in the Scholes vs Gazza thread. :lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I was really happy with my side but I wanted to go 4-4-2 diamond and now I am having to play 4-3-3 because Andrade isn't a pure DM which isn't what I wanted.
Not that many great DMs left tbf. Stiles would have been a better pick as a destroyer. For 4-4-2 diamond Cerezo would have been better. I never rated his defensive play as highly as others seem to, prefer him B2B, but his passing range would have suited the setup.

Kohler was a shoe in as my man marker but I hope Vasovic is given the respect he deserves, there are some brilliant sweepers taken by the other managers.
Vasovic is a defending All-Time draft winner. How dare you?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There's a thought... Wait... poisoned chalice didn't get picked?
Nor Pirlo, it would seem.

Bit strange, that. I guess it's partly the old how-to-use-him problem. Same with Pep - or more precisely even more so with him.

Marty1968

Riva
Greaves
Fontaine
Cantona
Elkjaer :(
Fritz Walter

Siviori
Hideguti
Kempes
Simonsen
Mazzola :eek:
Francescoli
Liedholm
Zito
Toninho Cerezo
Hamrin
Rahn

Blanc :eek:
Schulz

Some of the name which weren't picked -

We might as well pack our bags and close these drafts if that happened :lol:
This list in unbelievable.

Add to that Hugo Sanchez, Dalgliesh, Schumacher, Ayala, Ravelli, Keegan, Dunga, Lineker, Greaves, Tostao...

Moby

Dick
In case someone wants to see what I had planned at the start. (No one laugh...)

Ronaldo
Rivelino - Pele - Jairzinho
Davids - Redondo/Bozsik
Facchetti - Nesta - Cannavaro - Djalma Santos

:lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Name and shame the managers who picked poorly - could be interesting, I was struggling big time for a CB and I think I messed up my DM.
It was strange. I would have thought you'd have gone for Mascherano, Cambiasso, Busquets, Simeone, Dunga etc were all available. I was expecting you to bid on one more player instead of tinkering too much with Andrade.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
In case someone wants to see what I had planned at the start. (No one laugh...)

Ronaldo
Davids - Redondo/Bozsik
Facchetti - Nesta - Cannavaro - Djalma Santos

:lol:
That's really really close to what I had in mind :lol:

Ronaldo
Edwards - Neeskens
Nilton - Maldini - Bergomi - Djalma​

Except I had hope I would get Gullit/MvB instead of Pele/Ronaldo if I was successful initially.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Gunnar Nordahl missing too. Not sure why Nordahl is constantly missing in these, he was an absolute monster up front weighing in at 90 kg being 180 cm. For me he's one of the best strikers in history and very close behind to someone like Romario.

He's known as one of the most clinical strikers ever, but his powerful presence and hard work really makes him stand out. Constantly challenging the defense with penetrative runs and the amount of through balls he got the hold of through perfectly timed runs to shake off the defense was remarkable.

Top scorer in the league 9 times, as well as in the Olympics in 1948 that they won.
He scored more than one goal per game if we take a three year peak, 442 in 504 matches and at the international stage he scored 43 goals in 33 matches. It was not easier to score in the Italian league back then either, the average top scorer finished at similar amounts every year as these days. (20-30)

Only Nordahl has won 5 top scorer awards in the Serie A history, only Platini and Nordahl has won 3 consecutive ones. Nordahl is completely dominant, by having won 5 times in 6 seasons. Nobody else has even won it 4 times in their entire careers.

He dominated the box like Müller and was always in the right place after having made or found space for himself.

Gunnar Gren, known as "Professore" in Italy, was very all-round with fantastic technique, work rate, dribbling and defensive abilities. He was the primary play maker and passer of the trio and created goals with ease with his penetrative passing.

Not quite as good as Liedholm and Skoglund, and not a player for this draft in particular. But if you want a very old school central midfielder who was equally at ease orchestrating attacks, going on dribbling runs, setting up goals and defending then he's a great player.
Say - why not compose an all-time Sweden XI? Would be interesting to see.

In midfield and attack you've got an embarrassment of riches – but who you'd select at the back would be particularly interesting to see.

Moby

Dick
That's really really close to what I had in mind :lol:

Ronaldo
Edwards - Neeskens
Nilton - Maldini - Bergomi - Djalma​

Except I had hope I would get Gullit/MvB instead of Pele/Ronaldo if I was successful initially.
I was lucky you were watching wrestling and didn't raise on Pele. Though Zico hadn't showed up till then, but then knowing @Gio and @Theon were on the same path as me, we would have taken him over 50 at least. :lol: In a way it was good what you did, I got Pele and left Zico for them. So thanks. :D

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It was strange. I would have thought you'd have gone for Mascherano, Cambiasso, Busquets, Simeone, Dunga etc were all available. I was expecting you to bid on one more player instead of tinkering too much with Andrade.
That is exactly who I would have gone for but I didn't realise Andrade isn't a DM in the mould of a Rijkaard. I blame my poor research skills.