The Americas Draft

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Friendly reminder: 'Also, remember that it's always a sound move to leave your next pick with others if you know you'll be offline for an extended period of time.'

MounchesterUtd

Skizzo/Pat 1. Ronaldo 2. L. Junior 3. Joya
Enigma/Joga 1. Garrincha 2. Zanetti 3. Godin
oneniltothearsenal 1. Zico 2. D. Da Guia 3. Socrates
Tuppet 1. Romario 2. Monti 3. V. Andrade
Aldo 1. Passarella 2. R. Carlos 3. Francescoli
EAP/Sjor 1. D Santos 2. O Varela 3. Neymar
Physio 1. Chumpitaz 2. Cubillas 3. Valderrama
Gio 1. Ronaldinho 2. Nasazzi 3. Erico
Maz/Mar/R 1. Didi 2. Hugo Sanchez 3. Marzolini
MounchesterUtd 1. Chilavert 2. Rivelino 3. Vidal
DavidG 1. Cafu 2. Rivaldo 3.
Raees 1. Falcao 2. Jairzinho 3.
Boris 1. Schiaffino 2. J. Andrade 3.
Mciahel Goodman 1. C. Alberto 2. G. Batistuta 3.
Jayvin 1. Redondo 2. L. Suarez 3.
P-Nut/Downcast 1. N. Santos 2. Santamaria 3.

@DavidG

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Came across a great anecdote that's well worth sharing. Reminded me of Facchetti vs Shesternyov coin toss which decided the Euros 1968 semi-final.

The next opposition was the rejigged Brazilian team. Truly, they were not even close to the great generation of Seleção of the last decade, but on the other hand Peru were blessed with some stylish ball players. Pelé was not there anymore, the South Americans were now mesmerized by the Peruvian Pelé – Teófilo Cubillas. The sublime attacking midfielder known as ‘El Nene’ (the kid) was the star player of FC Porto at that time. “Don’t worry, I have a successor and he’s called Teófilo Cubillas”, Pelé said once in an interview after his last World Cup triumph. But then again, Brazil was still carrying their high pedigree. They had smashed 10 goals past Venezuela in two matches and defeated César Luis Menotti‘s Argentina twice who boasted with players like *** and ****. The first game of the two legged tie was played in front of 75,000 spectators at Estádio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte. The game was poised at 1-1 until the 82nd minute with one goal each from **** and ****. Peru earned a free-kick just outside the box and Teófilo Cubillas magnificently curled the ball to the far top corner to give a slender lead to Peru. **** scored another thunderous goal in the dying minutes to give Peru a healthy lead of 3-1 before the home game. La Blanquirroja were already one foot into the final after this remarkable performance on Brazilian soil. How colossal the achievement was? For the record, this was the last time Brazil lost any competitive game at home (68 matches, 39 years) before their 1-7 mauling by Germany in 2014.

The fairy-tale was however close to collapsing in Lima. Brazil staged a remarkable comeback by winning the return leg 0-2, which meant that the winner would have to be decided by lottery. Hector Chumpitaz, known as Captain America, deserves special mention here;he led the Peruvian defence for the last 30 minutes to repel the strong Brazilian attack and keep the aggregate score 3-3. Football confederations of Brazil and Peru determined that the lottery would be chaired by the then head of the South American Football Confederation (CSF) Teófilo Salinas, who incidentally was a Peruvian and her daughter Veronica was chosen to draw the ballot. Veronica, a schoolgirl in grey uniform who had no great passion for football – probably the only one in family who was not a fan of the local Alianza Lima club, became the point of attraction in front of a 35,000 strong crowd. She had to choose from two paper ballots each containing the names of one contesting nation. The country erupted in joy when Veronica chose the urn containing the name ‘Peru’ and they advanced to the final to face Colombia. Veronica became the most loved name in Peru, overnight. There are conspiracy theories as well behind the whole saga. Few of the sources claim that, clever Teófilo Salinas had already refrigerated the urn containing the Peru’s ballot and Veronica was instructed to choose the cooler one. Two of the Peruvian players, **** and ****, years later commented once about the cold-ball scandal – “I am not aware, but the legend says that Salinas began to cool the ballot before the draw and the girl picked up the cooler. The important thing is that Peru was in the final and everything else is speculation.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Physiocrat

I understand your rationale

There are conspiracy theories as well behind the whole saga. Few of the sources claim that, clever Teófilo Salinas had already refrigerated the urn containing the Peru’s ballot and Veronica was instructed to choose the cooler one. Two of the Peruvian players, **** and ****, years later commented once about the cold-ball scandal – “I am not aware, but the legend says that Salinas began to cool the ballot before the draw and the girl picked up the cooler. The important thing is that Peru was in the final and everything else is speculation.

That's exactly what I expect from the SA draft!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That's exactly what I expect from the SA draft!
:D

The lesson to learn from these stories is that corruption works behind the scenes, not on a pitch during a game!

Time to submit a Swede born in the USA to know whether Chester is corruptible.

Deleted member 101472

Sorry lads been at the beach today -

Picking Thiago silva if someone can update - Vidal and godin were my next two picks , totally crumbled my plans ( didn't expect both of them but thought one for sure )

Moby

Dick
DavidG 1. Cafu 2. Rivaldo 3. T. Silva
Raees 1. Falcao 2. Jairzinho 3.

@Raees

Moby

Dick
I'd reckon there still are better CBs in Pool 2 better than Godin and Silva.
Dunno about Silva but Godin truly has the credentials of someone you'd expect to be a top dog of his generation, which is a huge deal given how attacker friendly this generation is. More than once he has marshalled his troops while leading from the front with success against teams like Bayern, Barca and Madrid, which contain you-know-whos. Can't really ask more of anyone.

Exceptional leader, with a tremendous array of moments of greatness on both club and national level. Scored the goal that won Atletico the title which was one of the greatest team achievements of the modern era, given the other two teams they had to beat. Scored in the Champions League final, got as close as you would to a win. Even though it didn't matter in the end, it was his goal that got Uruguay through the group stages at the World Cup. Atletico have largely been hailed as one of the best defenses if not the best of the modern era and they have a lot to thank to this man.

Nevermind the array of top defensive qualities that he has up his sleeve, he's the best centre back of the modern era, and has the resume to comfortably stand next to the best defenders of the previous era and the ones before that, after standing up against some of the greatest attackers of his generation at the highest level time and again. Let alone Pool 2, he's right up there with anyone in this draft, really, unless it's gonna be a typical case of a recent player being underrated. Sure he has not finished his career but we discuss peaks and his peak is there for everyone to see.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Agree with everything Aldo said, by far the best CB in last 5, 6 years.

Deleted member 101472

Dunno about Silva but Godin truly has the credentials of someone you'd expect to be a top dog of his generation, which is a huge deal given how attacker friendly this generation is. More than once he has marshalled his troops while leading from the front with success against teams like Bayern, Barca and Madrid, which contain you-know-whos. Can't really ask more of anyone.

Exceptional leader, with a tremendous array of moments of greatness on both club and national level. Scored the goal that won Atletico the title which was one of the greatest team achievements of the modern era, given the other two teams they had to beat. Scored in the Champions League final, got as close as you would to a win. Even though it didn't matter in the end, it was his goal that got Uruguay through the group stages at the World Cup. Atletico have largely been hailed as one of the best defenses if not the best of the modern era and they have a lot to thank to this man.

Nevermind the array of top defensive qualities that he has up his sleeve, he's the best centre back of the modern era, and has the resume to comfortably stand next to the best defenders of the previous era and the ones before that, after standing up against some of the greatest attackers of his generation at the highest level time and again. Let alone Pool 2, he's right up there with anyone in this draft, really, unless it's gonna be a typical case of a recent player being underrated. Sure he has not finished his career but we discuss peaks and his peak is there for everyone to see.
Couldn't agree more .

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Let alone Pool 2, he's right up there with anyone in this draft, really, unless it's gonna be a typical case of a recent player being underrated.
Doubt that. He's very highly rated. Plus, I think for many neutrals being contemporary actually works in his favour: He stands out for many as a genuinely top class defender in an era where lesser players have been hailed as such (that is the view of many - and, I would say, a very common view among drafters).

Only thing he lacks to be completely unquestionable is a CL level trophy. He's got a Copa, granted, but that won't weigh as heavily. *

* Not saying this is logical or even reasonable, but it will be a consideration for some.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
has the resume to comfortably stand next to the best defenders of the previous era and the ones before that, after standing up against some of the greatest attackers of his generation at the highest level time and again.
So, would you rate him higher than, say Rio Ferdinand (who is my current standard for modern CBs)?

Tbh, I think you are exaggerating this a bit. One of the best of current generation, I'd agree definitely. But apart from Cristiano and Messi, I'd stop short of overrating any attackers to an all-time level (maybe 2 more, but still debatable). Modern generation of CBs are nothing compared to earlier generations, and saying he's best of a bad lot is nothing great......and I say that just to counter your "modern great" argument...not to underrate him.

He's 30yo now and 2014-15 is a career high to say. Is that his peak or do you expect him to be more than current?

Deleted member 101472

I doubt he'd be rated higher than Santamaria or Nasazzi in all time standard, best is a 3rd place...but then there are not many competitors for that place, tbh.
One of the most difficult tasks I can remember in my time as a football fan is breaking up the Real Madrid Barcelona duopoly (somewhat , 2 CL finals and a la liga in last 3 years is good enough for me )

Godin is as responsible as anybody for that .

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
DavidG 1. Cafu 2. Rivaldo 3. Silva
Raees 1. Falcao 2. Jairzinho 3. Jose M Moreno

@BorisDeLeFora

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Boris 1. Schiaffino 2. J. Andrade 3. Gerson

@Mciahel Goodman

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Lucio

Skizzo/Pat
1. Ronaldo 2. L. Junior 3. Joya
Mciahel Goodman 1. C. Alberto 2. G. Batistuta 3. Lucio

@Jayvin

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Omar Sivori

Jayvin 1. Redondo 2. L. Suarez 3. Sivori

@P-Nut0712 @Downcast

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Jayvin 1. Redondo 2. L. Suarez 3. Sivori
P-Nut/Downcast 1. N. Santos 2. Santamaría 3. Dani Alves 4. Alexis Sánchez

@Jayvin

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cesar Cueto

Jayvin 1. Redondo 2. L. Suarez 3. Sivori 4. Cueto
P-Nut/Downcast 1. N. Santos 2. Santamaría 3. Dani Alves 4. Alexis Sánchez

@Mciahel Goodman

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'd reckon there still are better CBs in Pool 2 better than Godin and Silva.
Nah, highly doubt it and it wasn't just pool 2 that was in consideration when we made that pick tbh.

I doubt he'd be rated higher than Santamaria or Nasazzi in all time standard, best is a 3rd place...but then there are not many competitors for that place, tbh.
Which is why DavidG said top 3 :boring:.

:lol::lol::lol: Would love to see anto's response to that, he'll murder you for that comment. Oh and you clearly need to research the Uruguayan pool a bit more in that case.

So, would you rate him higher than, say Rio Ferdinand (who is my current standard for modern CBs)?
Arguably the best post Rio period for me.

Modern generation of CBs are nothing compared to earlier generations, and saying he's best of a bad lot is nothing great......and I say that just to counter your "modern great" argument...not to underrate him.
Well can the same logic be used to say, the modern generation of attackers aren't as great (your words, not mine) thus being the best of the lot isn't as impressive for Messi and Ronaldo? Sound ridiculous but hey ho. Either way let's take a look at Godin's career.

Was a solid presence for Villareal (described as being "a rock in Spanish side Villarreal’s defence" by BBC) before being excellent for the unfancied Uruguay in the WC 2010 where they made the semi-finals, which earned him a move to Atletico where he's been nothing short of imperious. Now regarding Aldo's comments, there is definitely some merit to the statement, as this is an era which is rather top heavy or prejudiced towards forwards (just take a look at the attacking casts of top teams in Europe such as Barca, Bayern, Real, City etc). Whilst of course, it is great to thrive in a 'defensive league' such as the Serie A during the 80s, plying your trade competing amongst other defensive greats, it is also no easy task shining as one of the few 'old school' defenders remaining in the modern settings - where excelling as a defender is easier said than done.

Godin's been an absolute rock in the best league in the world, where most of the best attackers in the world ply their trade and where sides boast the greatest continental credentials (CL & UEFA Cup). Esp when you just take a peek at Real and Barca's sheer quality on show which makes Godin's and Atletico's feats all the more impressive. They've just conceded 31, 26, 29 and a miserly 18 goals in 4 of their past la liga campaigns. Now of course, it was a team effort, but Godin was at the heart of it all as their defensive marshal. Let's not forget his sheer decisive impact on Atleti's league winning season when they finally managed to break Real & Barca's stranglehold on the la liga. Being the La Liga Player of the Month in April and May 2014, exactly when it mattered most with Real/Barca breathing down their neck and of course, that classic display against Barca which I've gone more in depth here.

Football365 said:
Gabi might be Atleti’s captain, but there is no doubting Diego Simeone’s on-pitch figurehead. “Without Godin we lose a leader,” Simeone said when the centre-half suffered a slight hamstring injury in April. “He is a really important man within the group.” Godin missed two away league games in the final two months of the season; Atleti lost them both (at Levante and Sporting Gijon). Four points from those two games and Spain’s other elite club would have won La Liga for the second time in three years.
He's also been brilliant on the demanding Champions League stage too, where Atleti conceded 6 goals en route to the final of the 13/14 season in 12 games; 5 goals in 10 games in the 14/15 season where they were knocked out by Real by a solitary goal; 8 goals in 13 games during the 15/16 season where they made the final once again. Now the group stages no doubt pad up these stats, so let's take the knock-out ties in isolation. He was ever present in the Atleti side during the 13-14 K/O stages, with Atleti conceding just 3 goals in 6 knockout ties en route to the final, with 3 clean sheets. Atleti conceded a last minute equaliser in the final before their tired and depleted side collapsed 4-1 in extra time. Likewise 2 clean sheets and 2 goals conceded in 4 knock-out ties in 14/15 where they were knocked out by Real 1-0 in the quarters. 4 clean sheets in 7 knockout ties in 15/16 with just 5 goals conceded as they made the final. Goes without saying but, Atletico and Godin proved their mettle against some of the best sides (Barcelona, Chelsea, Real, Bayern etc) and best players in the world constantly in the Champions League. Oh and of course, Godin made the squad of the tournament in the CL twice during this period, as one of the best defensive performers.

Sorry for the stat overload but it's quite hard to convey defensive excellence without the use of 'em. Most of us have watched Atletico and Godin regularly in the CL, so they aren't that important anyway. Also just to reiterate, it wasn't just Godin but Atleti overall which deserves plaudits, but there is no doubt who was the defensive leader of that side. No different to say how the bulk of the plaudits go to Obdulio Varela for Uruguay's resilient displays but it was clearly a well-organised side with some cracking defensive individuals.

So we have a defender who has been tested and has excelled in various stages, someone who's been an integral component for his sides and has the trophies to show for it. So I definitely don't think it's an exaggeration to say his credentials and body of work are top notch, and that the picking order makes sense with only the likes of Nasazzi, Santamaria, Da Guia, Passarella and Chumpitaz ahead of him.

Last edited:

MounchesterUtd

Need someone's opinion on my next pick. Should I go for an attacking player or a defender? What position to fill in next?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Need someone's opinion on my next pick. Should I go for an attacking player or a defender? What position to fill in next?
Take the player whose style of play matches with your philosophy!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Godin is a great stopper with strong credentials with Uruguay & Atletico Madrid.

Thiago Silva is a superb defender whose career peak is probably between 2010 & 13. The latter was better when he did play with ***