The Arsenal thread | 2016-2017 season

U99ted

I just hope they win the Cup and that's enough to keep Wenger even if they can't get Top 4.
If he's already signed a contract, he won't need to re-overtake us on FA Cups to stay on.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I hope we take the Europa league seriously. I'd rather see us win that than get embarrassed in the CL at the same stage every year.
I think the same mate. Ofc with the obvious differences btw Sporting and Arsenal chances. At least we got to a final once. Best we achieved in the CL was passing group stages to get embarassed by Bayern :( (oh that sounds alot like Arsenal as well :lol:)

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Problem with taking it seriously is that it is fecking draining. Mentally and physically. Spurs have suffered for years. We did last season and Utd this. Should come with its own health warning.
It shouldn't be that draining with the squad we have though. We have a lot of players, not amazing quality but surely good enough to win the Europa League. The trouble is Wenger doesn't use the squad properly.

I think the same mate. Ofc with the obvious differences btw Sporting and Arsenal chances. At least we got to a final once. Best we achieved in the CL was passing group stages to get embarassed by Bayern :( (oh that sounds alot like Arsenal as well :lol:)
Low blow :lol:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Hey, look at the brightside, at least you didn't lose 7-1 :lol:
I'd say losing 5-1 twice is worse. At least for the 7-1 you can say maybe the team just had a bad game. We were shockingly bad over two separate legs. At least we're consistent :lol::(

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'd say losing 5-1 twice is worse. At least for the 7-1 you can say maybe the team just had a bad game. We were shockingly bad over two separate legs. At least we're consistent :lol::(
Errr nah believe me, we were worse. We lost 5-0 at home as well :lol::( the only satisfaction i have is that Benfica still has the record with a 7-0 loss against Celta de Vigo :lol: thank you Heynckes :D

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
If it's indeed Wenger's last season, I'm sure he will take it seriously. A chance to win a European trophy for Arsenal.
It would be our first european trophy under Wenger and would help us to build a winning european mentality.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It would be our first european trophy under Wenger and would help us to build a winning european mentality.
How can you even talk about winning it before the season's started?!

Have you not seen we've played about 73 games in it to reach the final? :lol:

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
Sky reporting that Usmanov has made a £1B bid for Kroenke's shares. That can't be good news for Wenger.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...er-usmanov-makes-bid-for-full-control-of-club
On the contrary, Usmanov has expressed faith in Wenger. He's richer than Abramovich by a considerable margin. Other fans should hope the deal falls through otherwise he wont be scared to sack Wenger and will see Arsenal spend the same as Man Utd and City.

The parasite Kroenke won't sell though. Too cushy of a money making machine because of all the mentally challenged football fans (read: Arsenal fans) who won't protest for their club.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
On the contrary, Usmanov has expressed faith in Wenger. He's richer than Abramovich by a considerable margin. Other fans should hope the deal falls through otherwise he wont be scared to sack Wenger and will see Arsenal spend the same as Man Utd and City.

The parasite Kroenke won't sell though. Too cushy of a money making machine because of all the mentally challenged football fans (read: Arsenal fans) who won't protest for their club.
Isn't Kroenke in need of cash to fund the Rams' stadium in LA?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I meant that if we won it i would consider it a great success.
"Great" is overdoing it, but of course there's only 2 trophies in Europe these days, so is well worth winning. Back in the day, I doubt anyone for a second suggested the Uefa or CWC weren't worth it.

They need to stop dropping 3rd placed champs league teams back in it though
That could lose that annoying extra round

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
"Great" is overdoing it, but of course there's only 2 trophies in Europe these days, so is well worth winning. Back in the day, I doubt anyone for a second suggested the Uefa or CWC weren't worth it.

They need to stop dropping 3rd placed champs league teams back in it though
That could lose that annoying extra round
Nah mate. How else are Bayern Munich going to thrash us 5-1 again if we do that?

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
They'll start well, thrashing the cannon fodder and playing Barca esque football. By season end they'll go on another blistering run for 4th spot. They might take back the FA cup too.
The first reply to this thread last year :lol:

Haha they're so predictable.

Rafateria

Is Usmanov considered the lesser of two evils? Or is he just as bad?
From a Russian fan on another forum :

Usmanov was in the news in Russia lately, after an independent anti-corruption investigation accused him of giving a bribe of a luxury mansion to the Russian prime minister. In response Usmanov recorded an expletive-laden YouTube rant, while on one of his luxury yachts, threatening the guy who released the investigation and claiming it was "an innocent gift". He makes the thuggish Abramovich look like a gentleman in comparison.

WPMUFC

PLEASE miss out on top 4. I need the massive blud-fam freakout once europa league qualification sets in.

AndyJ1985

It'll be funny seeing Arsenal in the EL after 20(?) years of consistently playing in the CL.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Make or break for Arsenal. Can they strengthen the squad sufficiently enough to get top 4 next season? If they don't sign quality players and Sanchez leaves I can see them falling out of top 4 again.