The Arsenal thread | 2016-2017 season

Deleted member 101472

Would take Arsenal winning the league over Chelsea, city, Liverpool and Spurs any day of the week.

Every team in the world has spells where things go for them/against them in terms of officiating decisions and until plays are challenged like in other sports, it won't change and will in all likelihood balance itself out over the course of a season.

The likelihood is Arsenal won't win the title this year but I am really curious to see just how far they fall once Wenger goes. I reckon it might be a lot worse than our Ferguson hangover.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Phantom mates, conspiracy theories about the league being bent, ref bias, dominating 'chances created' but being so damn unlucky all the time...

Is this some sort of parallel universe where the Caf has become RAWK?
Maybe it's just idiotic fans are less apparent when a team is actually good, although City and Chelski fans would contradict that theory.
Would take Arsenal winning the league over Chelsea, city, Liverpool and Spurs any day of the week.

Every team in the world has spells where things go for them/against them in terms of officiating decisions and until plays are challenged like in other sports, it won't change and will in all likelihood balance itself out over the course of a season.

The likelihood is Arsenal won't win the title this year but I am really curious to see just how far they fall once Wenger goes. I reckon it might be a lot worse than our Ferguson hangover.
I don't think we get someone as good as Wenger but he's putting us in quite a good squad position if we don't lose Sanchez/Ozil, which could spell a big drop off. I think Wenger himself could still get 4th if we lost both, which is his strength really. We lost Henry, Cole and Vieira in consequtive seasons and didn't collapse. Lost Nasri, Fabregas, RVP, Song and Clichy in consequtive seasons and didn't collapse. The couple of seasons when we lost Hleb, Ade and Toure. People point to the last decade of underachievement but ignore the constant need for rebuilding on a shoe string budget. Hopefully Alexis and Ozil sign on but I have my doubts.

When Fergie left you were in a situation where Vidic, Rio, RVP, Rooney, Scholes, Giggs would never have a good season for you again with all of them needing replacements. The young players you had coming through simply weren't anywhere near as good with all due respect to them.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Maybe it's just idiotic fans are less apparent when a team is actually good, although City and Chelski fans would contradict that theory.

I don't think we get someone as good as Wenger but he's putting us in quite a good squad position if we don't lose Sanchez/Ozil, which could spell a big drop off. I think Wenger himself could still get 4th if we lost both, which is his strength really. We lost Henry, Cole and Vieira in consequtive seasons and didn't collapse. Lost Nasri, Fabregas, RVP, Song and Clichy in consequtive seasons and didn't collapse. The couple of seasons when we lost Hleb, Ade and Toure. People point to the last decade of underachievement but ignore the constant need for rebuilding on a shoe string budget. Hopefully Alexis and Ozil sign on but I have my doubts.

When Fergie left you were in a situation where Vidic, Rio, RVP, Rooney, Scholes, Giggs would never have a good season for you again with all of them needing replacements. The young players you had coming through simply weren't anywhere near as good with all due respect to them.
I think the last bit here is very easy to say in hindsight and is the kind of thing opposition fans would always say when Man Utd were winning titles. Other than Scholes and Giggs, I don't think we all thought the other 4 were going to fall off a cliff in terms of performances. Nor did we think some of the otherwise previously rock solid youngsters wouldn't be good enough to replace them.

We'll have to see how Arsenal cope when Wenger leaves. Especially if its a manager with a different playing style to Wenger.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I think the last bit here is very easy to say in hindsight and is the kind of thing opposition fans would always say when Man Utd were winning titles. Other than Scholes and Giggs, I don't think we all thought the other 4 were going to fall off a cliff in terms of performances. Nor did we think some of the otherwise previously rock solid youngsters wouldn't be good enough to replace them.

We'll have to see how Arsenal cope when Wenger leaves. Especially if its a manager with a different playing style to Wenger.
I suppose it is hindsight. Although you can predict old squads dropping in form. I predicted City's form would drop due to an old squad and it did. Plus in your last title win the defense looked more leaky. RVP was great that year, but he was always injury prone, he was never going to spearhead many title runs uninjured. I didn't predict United's drop off though and without watching him that much I thought Fellaini would be a decent signing and a natural DM, so you're right it is hindsight.

What was the general feeling about the young players at the time? Welbz had his best goal scoring season under Moyes and people around here were divided, but many were happy when he was sold. Would Fergie have kept Kagawa, Welbeck, Chicarito, Evans and Rafael? Would he have flogged Rooney?

Also what happened with Nani? It seemed he went from one of your better players and the potential CR7 sequel to nought pretty quick.

Raw

Have to say, that Holding player they got looks very promising. Much better than Stones imo.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Have to say, that Holding player they got looks very promising. Much better than Stones imo.
Definitely their best signing last summer (value wise), think he only cost them a couple million.

Alabaster Codify7

Here's the rally, as usual. Wenger wants to sign his new contract with the top 4 being his reason and somehow manages to rally the troops to eke out 4th.

wr8_utd

:'(
Really really hope they get that 4th Spot, the Cup and a Wenger extension. That with us winning the Europa would make it a great season.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
:lol::nervous: If we managed to do it again...:nervous::lol:
:lol:

Wenger is a magician and a psychological genius. Never in the history of ever has any man fooled all of the people, all of the time. I take back everything I said about him.

He's like a master chef champion that will make you taste his buttie sandwich in 14 different ways each year and each year it will be said it's his best yet. :D

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I am looking forward to the fa cup final. There seems to be no love lost between Chelsea and Arsenal these days.

To Arsenal supporters, where do Chelsea rank for rivals that you hate? I assume Spurs come first always and United a close second (I may be wrong). Where does Chelsea fit in?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just watching the F1 Grand Prix in Barcelona. Someone had a 'wenger out' sign according to the presenter:lol::lol:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I am looking forward to the fa cup final. There seems to be no love lost between Chelsea and Arsenal these days.

To Arsenal supporters, where do Chelsea rank for rivals that you hate? I assume Spurs come first always and United a close second (I may be wrong). Where does Chelsea fit in?
United
Spurs
Chelsea

I also don't like Liverpool at all.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So with Arsenal likely to be in the EL next season, what's gonna be the deal with Sanchez and Ozil? And can they attract top talent?

AndyJ1985

Their season went almost exactly as expected, with the minor difference that this time they left is a week too late to put in a run of results to get 4th, like they usually do. Their luck had to run out eventually. Can't keep collapsing mid season and expecting to salvage it at the end.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Their season went almost exactly as expected, with the minor difference that this time they left is a week too late to put in a run of results to get 4th, like they usually do. Their luck had to run out eventually. Can't keep collapsing mid season and expecting to salvage it at the end.
You know they can always feed lasagna to the Pool players a day before their last game of the season:wenger:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
So with Arsenal likely to be in the EL next season, what's gonna be the deal with Sanchez and Ozil? And can they attract top talent?
If we sold them and replaced them with some promising youngsters like Dortmund usually did i wouldn't be too disappointed.

Mister_Stubbs

I actually think rivalry is based more on where the individual lives (especially in England). For me as an Essex born red I have a much stronger dislike for Arsenal and Chelsea than I do say City. Liverpool is of course at the top of that pile but for me living down here I'm not to fused when it comes to the likes of Leeds and Blackburn unlike some mates who live in Manchester absolute hate.

red4ever 79

If we sold them and replaced them with some promising youngsters like Dortmund usually did i wouldn't be too disappointed.
Holding looks a good player. The problem is losing those 2 but also you have Chamberlien, Ramsey, Willshere and a few more all on the last 18 months of their contract. Will be expensive replacing all of those

AndyJ1985

I wouldn't be concerned about Ozil going, he's a tit. But you should be very worried if Sanchez goes, he's your best player by a considerable distance.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I hope we take the Europa league seriously. I'd rather see us win that than get embarrassed in the CL at the same stage every year.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Problem with taking it seriously is that it is fecking draining. Mentally and physically. Spurs have suffered for years. We did last season and Utd this. Should come with its own health warning.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Problem with taking it seriously is that it is fecking draining. Mentally and physically. Spurs have suffered for years. We did last season and Utd this. Should come with its own health warning.
Wasn't draining for Sevilla though. In fact it invigorated them. Maybe call it the Vampire League.

wr8_utd

:'(
I just hope they win the Cup and that's enough to keep Wenger even if they can't get Top 4.