The Atacama Human

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Somewhere, someplace KE just cried a little inside.
Not really, it's nothing that he hasn't said already.

Of course, I'd love this to be something unexplainable...why wouldn't anyone want that? Won't lose sleep if the tests are fully done and this is not the case, mind.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

I want this to be something unexplainable...why wouldn't anyone want that? Won't lose sleep if the tests are fully done and this is not the case, mind.

Why do you want it to be unexplainable? Surely it is better to know what it is then just to leave it unexplainable. Only reason to want it left unexplained is to be able to make up your own explanations and use the fact that it is unexplained as part of your proof.

JustAFan

Atacama Man Action figures. Atacama Man Universal Remotes. Atacama Man automobile air fresheners, you know the kind that you hang from your rear view mirror. Atacama Man dinner utensils, the handles shapped like our wee little friend.

There is money to be made!

KingEric7

Why do you want it to be unexplainable? Surely it is better to know what it is then just to leave it unexplainable. Only reason to want it left unexplained is to be able to make up your own explanations and use the fact that it is unexplained as part of your proof.
When I say 'unexplainable', I say it in the sense of being unexplainable relative to our current understanding as opposed to something I would never want to be explained. Something that would require a deep exploration and re-evaluation of what we would class as very fundamental truths, basically. That would obviously be an extremely exciting time to be alive.

KingEric7

Jesus you do get over-excited about things don't you.
This is going to get tedious so I'll say no more soon and just let the thread go on as it is but I find that to be a puzzling comment. Another humanoid race, the spaghetti monster, whatever...some of these things if they were to exist would completely change the way humans perceive the world. You don't necessarily need be over-excitable to be quite taken with such a prospect.

Will Absolute

When I say 'unexplainable', I say it in the sense of being unexplainable relative to our current understanding as opposed to something I would never want to be explained. Something that would require a deep exploration and re-evaluation of what we would class as very fundamental truths, basically. That would obviously be an extremely exciting time to be alive.
I thought the 'hobbits' on Flores were pretty revolutionary. No interest in them?

KingEric7

Cheers, you've given me something else to read about. :D

KingEric7

You do come accross as being overly-excited though, probably why your family members you mentioned were quick to not really want to talk about this with you.
This is getting a bit weird, to be honest. What would it even matter if I were overly-excited? I'm a random person from the internet: my views on this are so utterly inconsequential and insignificant. Can I not start a thread and post without my attitude towards the subject being questioned even if the logic is sound?

As for the family member, that is my stubborn 80 year old Grandad who wants nothing to do with any other belief other than his own, bless him. I think I am well placed at this point in my life to understand my own family, but thank you for your two cents...:lol:

Spoony

The People's President
This is getting a bit weird, to be honest. What would it even matter if I were overly-excited? I'm a random person from the internet: my views on this are so utterly inconsequential and insignificant. Can I not start a thread and post without my attitude towards the subject being questioned even if the logic is sound?

As for the family member, that is my stubborn 80 year old Grandad who wants nothing to do with any other belief other than his own, bless him. I think I am well placed at this point in my life to understand my own family, but thank you for your two cents...:lol:
I suspect your grandad thinks you're a tad mentally unhinged.

KingEric7

I suspect your grandad thinks you're a tad mentally unhinged.
To be fair, when I was growing up my grandad once covertly fitted a switch under the steering wheel of my car that needed to be used as well as the key in order to start the ignition. He did this because I lost my keys about 40 miles away from my house and was convinced that someone would track my car down (of all the Fiestas in the North West of England) and nick it. Edit: He also reads the Daily Mail somewhat religiously.

If he does think that then I think it's safe to say that it runs in the family. :)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is there not a similar percentage DNA with Chimps and humans? This is probably just a monkey.
The skeleton rules out it being a monkey I believe. The % DNA match is misleading I believe as the 9% difference is probably due to many things and when a much higher resolution DNA profile is completed the picture will be much clearer.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

Of course, I'd love this to be something unexplainable...why wouldn't anyone want that? Won't lose sleep if the tests are fully done and this is not the case, mind.
This is exactly why I said you are blinkered. It was obvious from the off, irrespective of what you said to the contrary, that you wanted this organism to be of unexplained origin.

KingEric7

Extremely odd logic. I want United to win every single match they play. I also want it to be sunny today. Despite that, I'm not going insist that it's sunny and that we've won if it starts pissing it down and Chelsea win 5-0. You can obviously want something without it affecting your judgement of a situation - wanting something to be the case doesn't exactly equate to being 'blinkered' and it's pretty general to say otherwise to be honest. I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with my attitude in this thread in any case; leave the story to itself and pretend that it wasn't me who brought it up if that's any better. Weird. You can't show a little bit of excitement about an amazing finding without some internet gimps coming in and pointlessly questioning it.

JustAFan

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/05/bizarre-6-inch-skeleton-shown-to.html

Another article on this. Further suggesting that this is just a mummified fetus. Even quotes that Nolan fellow as saying that the remains are most likely only a couple of decades old. It also states that Nolan does not that this being a child that lived to be 6 to 8 years old outside the womb to be the only option. He also brings up the still born or premature birth (followed by quick death) option.

So seems very unlikely that there is any earth shattering news that will change the way we think in this story.

JustAFan

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You can obviously want something without it affecting your judgement of a situation - wanting something to be the case doesn't exactly equate to being 'blinkered' and it's pretty general to say otherwise to be honest. I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with my attitude in this thread in any case; leave the story to itself and pretend that it wasn't me who brought it up if that's any better. Weird. You can't show a little bit of excitement about an amazing finding without some internet gimps coming in and pointlessly questioning it.
Damn those annoying naysayers and their irritating logic and scepticism.