The Athletic “gutting” British newspapers

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I subscribe. But then again I enjoy the minutae and details of sports across the board. And the indepth articles on teams I follow is impeccable.

The market of people like me may have a hard ceiling but it does exist. Not sure you can force more people to be nerds but sort of media integration is possible.

For those more familiar with US sports, Grantland on ESPN was free and it had excellent sport articles but it never made a profit. ESPN didn't mind subsidizing it though because it was a valuable niche to have. The Ringer (Grantland's spiritual successor) now does podcasts and other pop-culture related stuff in addition to indepth sports articles. Maybe the Athletic will go that route. Hopefully that succeeds.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I realised I had been paying £8 a month for the last 3 months after the £1 a month promo presumably ended. After trying to cancel, they offered an annual sub of £18 which works out at £1.5 a month starting next month.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I realised I had been £8 a month for the last 3 months after the £1 a month promo presumably ended. After trying to cancel, they offered an annual sub of £18 which works out at £1.5 a month starting next month.
I love the athletic but I may try that trick

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I got the £1 per month for six months deal back in the summer and I just renewed for £17.99 for the next 12 months. I wouldn't bother subscribing if it wasn't for these deals tbh.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I love the athletic but I may try that trick
I don't read the athletic all that often to be honest, but I do appreciate the insight they provide across multiple sports. But I only really sub because of the deals. It just wouldn't be worth it for me without them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

All those dirt cheap deals to build up the subscriber base appears to have been done with a deal like this in mind.

All those dirt cheap deals to build up the subscriber base appears to have been done with a deal like this in mind.
Reckon NYT will come to regret that deal when they try to put the prices to a normal level.

Tarrou

I'm paying £1 a month for a year.
sure but this is a sign-up offer, an acquisition cost if you like

they are more focused on users than revenue like a lot of early-stage scalable businesses

what do you mean? It's $72 a year isn't it?
They were constantly selling ridiculously cheap subscriptions.

NYT will know how many are on what rates but I don't think the promised content has been good enough and less people than expected will bother keeping it going after the promotional periods.

Tarrou

They were constantly selling ridiculously cheap subscriptions.

NYT will know how many are on what rates but I don't think the promised content has been good enough and less people than expected will bother keeping it going after the promotional periods.
ah I see what you mean

most people will just unsubscribe once they start-up offer expires

I suppose you could also just re-signup under the Mrs name too

the key metrics are growth of new users, and % that continue to full membership.. so I'm sure they are on top of that

Nick7

I accidentally paid the full whack for it last year. I don’t think it’s worth half that just for football. I mostly use it for NHL, which I have to say is very good. Re-signed up on the €1 a month or whatever it was deal there last week, which I’m happy paying for NHL content and the occasional United story like that recent one on Fergie.

ah I see what you mean

most people will just unsubscribe once they start-up offer expires

I suppose you could also just re-signup under the Mrs name too

the key metrics are growth of new users, and % that continue to full membership.. so I'm sure they are on top of that
The offers they give aren’t just sign up offers. You can re-subscribe and take advantage of the offers too