The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

Carolina Red

Staff
Here's an article about it: https://www.foxcarolina.com/2022/04...re-shooting-shot-self-defense-turned-himself/

According to his lawyer, the bond is because of a self defense claim, no criminal record, called the police and turned himself in, legally owned gun but no permit.
If he doesn’t have a record, it is out of a technicality if he was a minor the first time he was involved in someone getting shot (and killed).

https://wach.com/news/local/accused-sc-mall-shooter-connected-to-2018-fatal-shooting

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Seeing too much of this shit…

Are these just a random selection of American airline passengers? On a UK flight the guy would be met with either a stony silence or told to shut up and sit down.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's not surprising that the U.S has by far the highest number of people in prison - both in absolute terms and per capita. It's a record that Russia and China can only aspire to.

Nanook

Wasn't there a dude who wore a DIY bullet proof vest and asked his gf to shoot him in the chest? That guy may still win.... posthumously
DIY vest is overselling it. I think you’re talking about the guy who held a large book to his chest and asked his gf to shoot it for a YouTube video. Bullet went though the book and killed him.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I’d wait for a fecking taxi…

From a European perspective, the American healthcare system is absolutely insane, and I'm genuinely baffled at how so many Americans accept it. What's worse, many apparently think they have the best system in the world. It's actively killing Americans, by making sure that anyone who lives anywhere near paycheck to paycheck (64%!?) will make the decision not to go to the doctor until they're basically dying. And that's the people with health insurance. I've seen many crazy stories of how people were personally stuck with massive bills because the ambulance took them to a hospital that wasn't in the insurance company's network, or even to a hospital that was but they were then operated on by a surgeon who wasn't.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/deductible/

That's the official government website for health care, and their example is a $2k deductible. Is that normal? That's ten times what I'd ever have to pay in Norway. Investopedia's example is $5k. And then they explain that after the deductible there are still copayments. I'm struggling to find a rough estimate of how much that could be, but Investipedia again suggests it could be $25 per doctor visit. That's about what I pay too, but it counts for our equivalent of a deductible.

I mean, I'm already hesitant to go to the doctor when I probably should, and that has nothing to do with money. If I were American I might just die.

Carolina Red

Staff
In Columbia again…

BREAKING … another shooting in Columbia, 3 males with gunshot wounds … all school aged young men, per CPD.

UPDATE: 16-year-old male shot & killed.
2 males, ages 17 & 18 taken to hospital with serious injuries.

More tonight on #WIS10.

More tonight on WIS TV.

Carolina Red

Staff
From a European perspective, the American healthcare system is absolutely insane, and I'm genuinely baffled at how so many Americans accept it. What's worse, many apparently think they have the best system in the world. It's actively killing Americans, by making sure that anyone who lives anywhere near paycheck to paycheck (64%!?) will make the decision not to go to the doctor until they're basically dying. And that's the people with health insurance. I've seen many crazy stories of how people were personally stuck with massive bills because the ambulance took them to a hospital that wasn't in the insurance company's network, or even to a hospital that was but they were then operated on by a surgeon who wasn't.

That's the official government website for health care, and their example is a $2k deductible. Is that normal? That's ten times what I'd ever have to pay in Norway. Investopedia's example is $5k. And then they explain that after the deductible there are still copayments. I'm struggling to find a rough estimate of how much that could be, but Investipedia again suggests it could be $25 per doctor visit. That's about what I pay too, but it counts for our equivalent of a deductible.

I mean, I'm already hesitant to go to the doctor when I probably should, and that has nothing to do with money. If I were American I might just die.
I legit had to force my wife to go to the ER this afternoon because she had all the classic symptoms of acute appendicitis. This woman is a nurse practitioner and she was arguing with me against going because “the CT scan alone will be thousands and what if it’s nothing serious?”

So, yeah. It’s shit.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I legit had to force my wife to go to the ER this afternoon because she had all the classic symptoms of acute appendicitis. This woman is a nurse practitioner and she was arguing with me against going because “the CT scan alone will be thousands and what if it’s nothing serious?”

So, yeah. It’s shit.
How is she doing?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

I’m going to see if I can dig up my six hour, CT scan, a few ccs of Toradol, ER visit bill for kidney stones in 2017 that was a cool $11K.

Carolina Red

Staff
How is she doing?
@Carolina Red, hope the wife is doing well.
She’s good. CT scan shocked her and everyone else by not being her appendix. ER doc was someone she’s worked with before and he’d told her straight up he was expecting to be wheeling her to the OR today. Something with her lymph nodes being inflamed near the same spot, leading to the similar pain as appendicitis causes. They started speaking medical language to one another that went above my pay grade.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’m going to see if I can dig up my six hour, CT scan, a few ccs of Toradol, ER visit bill for kidney stones in 2017 that was a cool $11K.
@Carolina Red, hope the wife is doing well.

It is insane and completely about greed. A decade ago I woke up with an immense pain in my lower back. Wife was out of town so I drove myself to my GP (pro tip, if you choose a GP who works out of an urgent care facility, and they have kind admin people, you can get Urgent Care visits billed as GP visit). An x-ray show a possible mass on my spine but an MRI was needed to complete the diagnosis. I sat in my car, wracked in pain and freaked out about the big C word, for 30 minutes searching to find an in network MRI place. Found one at UAB hospital for the negotiated price of $1500 (all out of my deductible, but "list was $2800). Spent another 30 minutes searching and finally found a single for profit MRI place across town that had a final negotiated price of FREE after some weird rebate shit. Ended up being a really bad herniated disc, which was "good", but it also ended my footy playing days.

Anyways, all of this is contrasted to my dog. Yes, my dog. A month later she also herniated a disc (like dog like owner I guess). Likewise she was first diagnosed by x-ray and then confirmed by MRI. The MRI machine was in the middle of a medical clinic where one half was a human clinic and the other a vet. The humans used the machine in the morning and the pets in the afternoon. She then had surgery to fuse the disc. This surgery required a vet neurosurgeon (also the head of the vet school), the attending vet surgeon, an anesthesiologist, and 4 vet students acting as nurses. She then had 2 nights of post up care and months of medication. Total cost of ALL of that? $2750.

nimic

something nice
Scout

So, yeah. It’s shit.
That's infuriating, that rational people like your wife have to make those kinds of decisions.

Hope she's doing well.

SirAnderson

I will not ever complain about South Africa's hospital charges again after reading the last few posts :eek: crazy!

The worst I had was during covid lockdown last year, my father in law contracted covid pneumonia and unfortunately isn't on medical aid, suffice to say the public hospitals were not an option at all, tried to get him into a private one and they wanted a deposit of 200k for admission :lol: I nearly had a heart attack!
In the end we managed to sort something else, but it made me realize how messed up "Healthcare" industry really is, pure profit over everything else.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Just to get it right, two white guys were pointing guns at police? There will be revenge, police will now kill ten black guys as recompense. It's only fair.