Television The Barkley Marathons

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watched this documentary last night without knowing too much about it, it's so good!

Anybody else seen it? Would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and pretty cool documentary.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm not interested in Ross Barkley
Watch it. Guarantee you’ll like it. It’s about a race a guy made up that only ten people had ever completed at the time of filming in 2012. It’s great!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Phenomenal doco. Did the same thing. Watched and then recommended it to all. Would love to give it a nudge one year.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Phenomenal doco. Did the same thing. Watched and then recommended it to all. Would love to give it a nudge one year.
Yeah I just felt a need to tell people about it :lol:

Did cross my mind I'd like to have a go but I'd barely even do one loop I think.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yeah I just felt a need to tell people about it :lol:

Did cross my mind I'd like to have a go but I'd barely even do one loop I think.
What makes the race good is a whole world of things. I disappeared down the rabbit hole to learn about it.

What makes the doco good is that not a single person involved in it seems to have any interest in being famous in any way. Like documentaries of old.

Wittmann45

Do they explain why (and this is according to a quick search on Wiki) that the current record holder's time is almost four hours shorter than the previous best time (52:03:08 versus 55:42:27)? It seems crazy that most of the times are between 56 and 60 hours and the record holder posts a time of 52 hours, especially when his finish the year before was 57 hours

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do they explain why (and this is according to a quick search on Wiki) that the current record holder's time is almost four hours shorter than the previous best time (52:03:08 versus 55:42:27)? It seems crazy that most of the times are between 56 and 60 hours and the record holder posts a time of 52 hours, especially when his finish the year before was 57 hours
Not really but that record is broken in the film. He just had a good run I guess. He'd finished it the year before too and knew the area better.

Tarrou

I loved it as well. Just incredible what people are capable of if they push themselves to the absolute limit.

They're all fecking bonkers though :lol:

Mighty Boosh

Thought it was brilliant, saw it recommended but had no idea what I was getting into!

Founder was a great character

Dan

That Jared guy has gone on to complete it two more times since this was filmed.

Big Andy

Bloke
Is this the one where they have to find a book and rip out the page that corresponds to heir race number?

binary bot
Is this the one where they have to find a book and rip out the page that corresponds to heir race number?
Yeah.

Just watched it. Pretty good.

Brett and Jared looked in decent condition after finishing that:eek:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Watched this documentary last night without knowing too much about it, it's so good!

Anybody else seen it? Would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and pretty cool documentary.
Have seen this a couple of year before. It's a great watch. the nonchalant way the guy organizes the event is fun.

The race is brutal, day night, clockwise, counter clockwise, hidden pages...it's like a insane treasure hunt :lol:

I'll the newbie that drops out first that everyone laughs about.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That Jared guy has gone on to complete it two more times since this was filmed.
Yeah saw that. Also saw last year one guy finished it and then a Canadian finished 6 seconds too late, but he'd also accidentally skipped like two miles of the course as well which voided it anyway.

This years one is in April I think.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Have seen this a couple of year before. It's a great watch. the nonchalant way the guy organizes the event is fun.

The race is brutal, day night, clockwise, counter clockwise, hidden pages...it's like a insane treasure hunt :lol:

I'll the newbie that drops out first that everyone laughs about.
The human sacrifice :lol: I liked how just like halfway through he brings that up like oh yeah we do this too.