Music The Beatles : Get Back

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The amount of jobsworths trying to get them to stop playing on the roof :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The whole rooftop concert with the multiple angles and street interviews is a fascinating little time capsule.

Interesting that they’ve put in a couple of Lennon adlibs from seperate performances. Him saying “Sweet Loretta fart she thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan” and then on the roof when he says “I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, I hope we passed the audition”. Those are just ingrained in my brain and I recognised them instantly like the start of a song or something.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
This is brilliant. I'm only about to finish the second episode, but it's been great so far.

The whole rooftop concert with the multiple angles and street interviews is a fascinating little time capsule.

Interesting that they’ve put in a couple of Lennon adlibs from seperate performances. Him saying “Sweet Loretta fart she thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan” and then on the roof when he says “I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, I hope we passed the audition”. Those are just ingrained in my brain and I recognised them instantly like the start of a song or something.
Yeah I was the same. There was one part in ep. 2 where John did the "I dig a Pygmy, by Charles Hawtrey and the deaf aids... phase one, in which Doris gets her oats!", and in my head I started humming the guitar intro to Two Of Us. Was a bit jarring when it didn't come in the show. (I think that was the phrase he screamed at least - was one of them).

Edit: It was actually the "That was 'Can You Dig It' by Georgie Wood..." part which leads into Let It Be.

Last edited:

BD

Freak out Jam in Episode 2 - just when I thought Yoko couldn’t be more annoying…
:lol:

I do think that this series has put to bed any notion that she was the reason The Beatles broke up. Which is good.

Green_Red

Really. What makes you say that.
I would say that it is the other way around.
This guy is a great watch, and very knowledgeable. Listen to his take on them. If you watch this guy enough you'll know he is a very accomplished musician and he definitely knows what he is talking about.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Never really been into them but after watching the first one McCartney Is a living genius. Staggering talent more fool me for never seeing past the early pop stuff.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This guy is a great watch, and very knowledgeable. Listen to his take on them. If you watch this guy enough you'll know he is a very accomplished musician and he definitely knows what he is talking about.
Ok
But in my opinion, the Beatles were incredibly over rated.
Much of their success was down to excellent management from George Martin and Brian Epstein.
I was not a fan of them or their music. But accept that many were/are.
Music is a very personal preference. And my preference was and still is Pink Floyd.
Significantly better musicians and much longer lasting.

djembatheking

Never really been into them but after watching the first one McCartney Is a living genius. Staggering talent more fool me for never seeing past the early pop stuff.
He certainly is, bass, piano, guitar, drums, ballad singing to screaming rock singing and his attention to detail in song arrangement is awesome. Also the chemistry between Lennon and McCartney is magical. The sheer quantity of massive songs they wrote that so many people know will never be repeated and it was all done in a 10 year period. They were all in their 20`s when they called it a day, mind boggling.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ok
Much of their success was down to excellent management from George Martin and Brian Epstein.
Music is a very personal preference. And my preference was and still is Pink Floyd.
NATIONAL LEVEL

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He certainly is, bass, piano, guitar, drums, ballad singing to screaming rock singing and his attention to detail in song arrangement is awesome. Also the chemistry between Lennon and McCartney is magical. The sheer quantity of massive songs they wrote that so many people know will never be repeated and it was all done in a 10 year period. They were all in their 20`s when they called it a day, mind boggling.
I feel a bit dirty now. The man is a genius. Can't believe how powerful his voice was plus the perfect ability on all the instruments. I did like Lennon's voice and he could play guitar but McCartney is something else - probably will never be exceeded.

djembatheking

I feel a bit dirty now. The man is a genius. Can't believe how powerful his voice was plus the perfect ability on all the instruments. I did like Lennon's voice and he could play guitar but McCartney is something else - probably will never be exceeded.
I agree, Lennon was always my favourite Beatle, love his voice especially the dreamier numbers. In the early days and then Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt Pepper I think Lennon drove the band more but McCartney was definitely the driving force in Let it Be and Abbey Rd. All four of them were brilliant at what they did though , complemented each other perfectly and Billy Preston seemed to really give them a lift when he showed up. Fantastic insight into a bygone era of recording with limited studio equipment by todays standards and a band just playing it for real and getting it down on tape. enjoyed all the interactions with the crew as well with George Martin, Mal Evans, Glyn Johns etc and boy did they all smoke some fags.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was reading about Mal Evans earlier. Guy got really depressed a few years after this when he got divorced. Was on pills and aimed an air rifle at police in the US so they shot him to death.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Quite like the early Beatles stuff like day tripper. Gets a bit ridiculous how venerated they are though since, it’s mostly the work of music journalists Sergeant pepper was a great album but beatles bores are tedious maybe only rivalled by Radiohead ones.

Green_Red

Ok
Agree to an extent. But success isn't just down to the four, it's also down to the people they had around them. Oasis would be nothing if they hadn't met Magee that famous night... everyone has a part to play in the success. But the beatles were prolific at a very high level, that no one had ever matched.

Big Andy

Bloke
I’m not a huge Beatles fan, and while it was ok, I got a bit bored of watching 4 Scouse blokes jamming around for a couple of hours. Does the other 6 hours go about the same thing? If so I’ll just fast forward to the gig on the roof and have done with it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not a huge Beatles fan, and while it was ok, I got a bit bored of watching 4 Scouse blokes jamming around for a couple of hours. Does the other 6 hours go about the same thing? If so I’ll just fast forward to the gig on the roof and have done with it.
The first episode, skip the first half of chit chat. Second episode, skip the first half until Billy Preston is in, watch all of the third episode.

Irwin99

The bit where George presented 'I Me Mine' to Lennon who showed no interest whatsoever was really sad, particularly as it's the best straight forward 'rock' song on the album in my opinion. George barely got any recognition from Paul and John at a time when he could/should have had one or two more tracks per album.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The bit where George presented 'I Me Mine' to Lennon who showed no interest whatsoever was really sad, particularly as it's the best straight forward 'rock' song on the album in my opinion. George barely got any recognition from Paul and John at a time when he could/should have had one or two more tracks per album.
They definitely weren't receptive to him as a songwriter most likely out of a self preservation instinct. Although I do wonder who made the song more 'rock' - George or pressure from the others, as the base tune is excellent but the song for me isn't as it tries too hard to be a rock song. The little chorus type thing they do in the middle really hurts the song IMO and cheapens it.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
So many interesting things. McCartney was underestimated by me. Great performer. What a bunch of writers; on another level lyrically, musically, every way. I loved John making lyric suggestions to make Pauls stuff cooler. Harrrison helping Ringo with Octopuses Garden was fantastic. I love Yoko. The film maker was an utter … The end was very poignant. The restored footage and audio really give this time travel feeling, most odd.

Amarsdd

Having grown up thinking the Beatles were no more than a straightforward boy band of the 60's, I only really started to appreciate them and their music in my twenties. And I thought this was an absolute treat. Paul just playing around with "Long and winding road", George trying to find words for "Something", John's "Jealous guy" being a completely different song and Ringo being Ringo was fascinating to see.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I saw Paul McCartney live twice, both times it was extraordinary. Second time was at Atletico's old stadium in 2016. The environment was something else, can't imagine many other bands bringing in such a variety (in terms of age) of absolutely die-hard fans.

I probably prefered Lennon as a kid, but McCartney grew heavily in me and I'd say he's easily my favourite composer and a better vocalist. They were very different geniuses.

Not much of a concert goer myself and most bands I really like are long gone. Those will probably be my most memorable moments ever, no football, sex or drugs will ever match the excitation and bliss I felt.

Barely listen to them voluntarily these days, 30 years is a lot of repeating the same 200 songs, but in the right context it still sends shivers down my spine.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Fine for a while. Just like elvis.

Still state of the art ahead of their time. But as time goes by they sounds more... bland as times goes by. Nothing wrong with them, that's just how it goes on music industry.

IMHO their lifestyle is something else but their songs? Isnt all that if we look back minus the grandiose and the glamor.

For me they just mature and hit their stride at the right moment and stars aligned for them. Which, fair play at one time probably made them feel bigger than Jesus

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fine for a while. Just like elvis.

Still state of the art ahead of their time. But as time goes by they sounds more... bland as times goes by. Nothing wrong with them, that's just how it goes on music industry.

IMHO their lifestyle is something else but their songs? Isnt all that if we look back minus the grandiose and the glamor.

For me they just mature and hit their stride at the right moment and stars aligned for them. Which, fair play at one time probably made them feel bigger than Jesus
While I do agree that there is a bit overrating that happens - for example you go to any list of greatest albums and the top 20 will have 3/4 Beatles. Whereas if you listen to them, say the White album, there's so much random filler material there.

But also they are a rare band that went from being a hit machine to stuff like Strawberry Fields and A Day in the Life so they appeal to a wider gambit of people than any other artist.

decorativeed

Ok
I'm not a huge Beatles fan by any means, but that is a very strong statement! Given Floyd started after the Beatles, it's unlikely they'll ever outlive them. Also, ask most people to name a Beatles song and they'll be able to do so no problem. The same won't be true of anyone - particularly under 30s - when asked to name a Pink Floyd track.

To me, when people describe Pink Floyd, they sound much more interesting and exciting than their actual music is.

Irwin99

I honestly think that even if you can't stand them their impact and creativity deserves respect. Personally I especially like Lennon's songs from around Revolver onwards; I'm only Sleeping, Tomorrow never knows, Lucy in the Sky, A day in the Life, Strawberry Fields, Happiness is a warm gun, Across the Universe, etc.

The 60s actually producing some pretty daring and creative stuff. Drugs probably helped.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm not a huge Beatles fan by any means, but that is a very strong statement! Given Floyd started after the Beatles, it's unlikely they'll ever outlive them. Also, ask most people to name a Beatles song and they'll be able to do so no problem. The same won't be true of anyone - particularly under 30s - when asked to name a Pink Floyd track.

To me, when people describe Pink Floyd, they sound much more interesting and exciting than their actual music is.
That is true. Because Pink Floyd only produced one real single, Money.
They were much more than just 2.5 minute singles.
They were far more famous for their progressive albums and stage shows.
And were still performing in 2006, just before Richard Wright died.
They were all exceptional musicians, unlike the Beatles.

decorativeed

I don't think the level of musicianship really defines what makes a band great. It's the music. Personally long virtuoso guitar solos and concept albums are a massive turn off, and a sizable portion of the public seem to agree with that.

I have heard Pink Floyd's early stuff described as an English counterpart to the Velvet Underground, which makes me feel like they'd be right up my street, but it generally does nothing for me. Dark Side of the Moon is a hugely overrated record too.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don't think the level of musicianship really defines what makes a band great. It's the music. Personally long virtuoso guitar solos and concept albums are a massive turn off, and a sizable portion of the public seem to agree with that.

I have heard Pink Floyd's early stuff described as an English counterpart to the Velvet Underground, which makes me feel like they'd be right up my street, but it generally does nothing for me. Dark Side of the Moon is a hugely overrated record too.
Not your taste in music which is fine. But to criticise Dark Side of the Moon as being overrated is something many millions don't agree with. Neither do I.

djembatheking

I love Floyd and you are wrong , they produced quite a few singles , no where near as prolific as the Beatles though.
To say the Beatles weren`t exceptional musicians is nonsense though , McCartney absolutely shines in Get Back.
Dave Gilmour was a massive Beatles fan , reckons they taught him how to play guitar and wishes he had been in the Beatles .
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/pink-floyd-david-gimour-favourite-the-beatles-songs/

Two very different but equally great bands both full with fantastically talented musicians who were at the very top of what they did.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I love Floyd and you are wrong , they produced quite a few singles , no where near as prolific as the Beatles though.
To say the Beatles weren`t exceptional musicians is nonsense though , McCartney absolutely shines in Get Back.
Dave Gilmour was a massive Beatles fan , reckons they taught him how to play guitar and wishes he had been in the Beatles .
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/pink-floyd-david-gimour-favourite-the-beatles-songs/

Two very different but equally great bands both full with fantastically talented musicians who were at the very top of what they did.
Which singles did PF release?

decorativeed

Not your taste in music which is fine. But to criticise Dark Side of the Moon as being overrated is something many millions don't agree with. Neither do I.
In the interests of fairness, I also think Sgt Pepper's is overrated. Some very underwhelming stuff on it, saved by 3-4 tracks of pure genius.

Last edited:

BD

Sgt Peppers is the 5th best Beatles album (at best)