Music The Beatles - Now and Then

Herman Toothrot

This afternoon, what's being billed as 'the final song' from The Beatles is released, followed by the video directed by Peter 'Get Back' Jackson.

Now and Then originates from a demo tape John Lennon recorded in 1978. Several years after Lennon's murder, Yoko Ono gave the tape to Paul McCartney and the surviving Beatles worked with ELO's Jeff Lynne to work these demos into new Beatles songs for their Anthology release in 1995. Alongside Now and Then were Free As A Bird and Real Love. Due to the quality of the recording and an overloud, distorted piano track on Now and Then, it was decided that only Free As A Bird and Real Love could be salvaged with Lennon's vocals. Both tracks were released with the Anthology, I quite like them both, but you can certainly hear that the quality of the vocal recording (not the singing itself) isn't great.

When Peter Jackson made Get Back a couple of years ago, it was created from the original footage recorded by Michael Lindsay-Hogg that was never officially released - certainly not in its entirety. When Jackson began restoring the footage, like had for They Shall Never Grow Old, they developed a machine-learning “de-mixing” software that isolated the voices in the messy audio recording and allowed us to hear what The Beatles were saying. It is this same technique that was used to clean up Lennon's vocal on Now and Then. With this new, clean "AI" vocal, McCartney picked up where he, Harrison, Ringo and Lynne left off in 1995 and completed the recording - bringing in orchestration, re-recording Lenon's distorted piano, using Harrison's guitar from '95, getting Ringo to lay down a new drum track and even sampling older Beatles' backing vocals.

We will hear the results today and see what Jackson has done with even more new and restored, never-seen-before footage from across their careers.

I am excited about this. I don't think its ghoulish, I think the use of AI is massively over-reported and I'm not expecting anything more than a worked-up demo, not a lost masterpiece. I'm particularly interested in seeing it with Jackson's video as it feels like this really is the end of the story in so far as McCartney and Ringo are still here. I've no doubt they'll continue to remaster, re-release and repackage things long after they are dead, but this feels like a passion project of McCartney's and I'm ready for it.

Thoughts?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If I can't dance to it on TikTok I don't wanna fecking hear it.

led_scholes

I really really liked what they did with Free as a bird and real love. Hope its something similar, quality wise.

svn

It's not clear whether Harrison thought the song was rubbish, or the recording itself due to the poor quality.

I'm excited by it. The clarity that they've extracted Lennon's voice is unbelievable - I hope they remix Real Love and Free as a Bird using the same technology.

Herman Toothrot

It's not clear whether Harrison thought the song was rubbish, or the recording itself due to the poor quality.

I'm excited by it. The clarity that they've extracted Lennon's voice is unbelievable - I hope they remix Real Love and Free as a Bird using the same technology.
My impression was that working with the recording was impossible and a grumpy Harrison gave up. But again, like Real Love and Free as a Bird, we're talking about demos and not lost masterpieces. Which should temper expectations and avoid 'it's shit' reductiveness.

I'd also like to hear remixes, listening back to them again recently, they're rough.

Herman Toothrot

Wow. McCartney had a lot of fun without using a great deal of the original demo. Dialled the production up to 11, as expected.

It's lovely.

svn

It surpassed my expectations. I really like it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Meh, they've just copied Oasis.

djembatheking

I don't like it. It's contrived and feels like it. Sounds more like a Lennon solo song than a Beatles one. I dare say, George was right.
Exactly how I feel, I was wary before I heard it and it just feels like a reason through technology to get Lennons voice out there again.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Its a bit Oasisy but I like it.
Its better than 99% of the modern shite out there

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I've listened to it a few times now and really like it, but then I'm not exactly difficult to please :D

To me the vocals sound beautiful, the music created around them elevate the quality rather than distract and it hits that Beatles vibe despite the limitations of the circumstances. A fitting last song and I'm grateful that we have it.

Its a nice song.

If it was Ed Sheeran or somebody like that it would be one of their best.

As its The Beatles, I can see why they never bothered to release it before.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Interesting. It’s quite fascinating to listen to the original demo, which is not actually a demo. It’s only a sketch; John playing and singing in a room with a cassette player probably sitting on the piano. Consequently the piano came out blurry and distorted and way too loud.

For years there has been restoration software, mastering stuff or other plug ins that isolated voices etc. But this brings it to a new level. The original audio shows the makings of a decent tune. Phrasing and structure is all there. There is a gentleness in McCartney’s approach; he keeps almost the same chord structure as John had (his one big tweak is a big improvement under the verse melody). He keeps Harrison’s 1990’s guitar, and adds a slide solo himself in the Harrison style. That gives it a very Beatle vibe, along with Ringo’s drums.

The other main intervention made by the producers was to set (the meandering, variable, expressive approach of Lennon) to a steady tempo using a click and put it on a tempo grid. The orchestra played to this, as did Ringo and Paul. I have to listen a few more times to the backing vocals. Some are new recordings featuring Paul (do I hear Ringo in there, too?) and there are also sampled banks of harmony vocals from old Beatles recordings (A Day in the Life?) on which you can hear John.

So yes; it’s beautiful. Not madly radical or adventurous lyrically but well worth the effort. It’s a moving story, it’s done with respect and feeling. My admiration and appreciation of Paul has grown greatly over the years.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The other thing this did is lead me into the 2023 remixes of Revolver, etc., by Giles Martin, which are astounding. It’s a glimpse into the awesome potential of Artificial Intelligence (in a good way). As in the graphic power of programmes to clean up old photos (how soon before AI exonerates Lee Harvey Oswald?) the potency of being able to turn 4 track Beatles’ multis into 24-track (or whatever) is fully on display here, as well as sublime levels of delicate effects, equalisation, mastering, etc. Have a listen on decent headphones to Taxman! In a very real sense, it is like a whole set of new albums from the Beatles.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The other thing this did is lead me into the 2023 remixes of Revolver, etc., by Giles Martin, which are astounding. It’s a glimpse into the awesome potential of Artificial Intelligence (in a good way). As in the graphic power of programmes to clean up old photos (how soon before AI exonerates Lee Harvey Oswald?) the potency of being able to turn 4 track Beatles’ multis into 24-track (or whatever) is fully on display here, as well as sublime levels of delicate effects, equalisation, mastering, etc. Have a listen on decent headphones to Taxman! In a very real sense, it is like a whole set of new albums from the Beatles.
You wot

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The production is doing a lot of heavy lifting to make a so so album track sound like a sweeping epic, but its fine. The bones of it isn’t as good a song as ‘Free As A Bird’ was (and that was hardly a classic) but they’ve thrown everything at it to make it grand so it’s probably ended up a bit better as far as ‘New Beatles’ goes.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I thought it was rubbish on first listen but I really quite like it now. It’s a simple song but they’ve gone all in with the production and it is impressive what they’ve done with the vocal track considering what they had.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
New music from the Beatles and the stones. What year is it again?

stoinz

I'm really amazed by the technology. I admit I didn't really like this but it slowly grew on me. I hope they re-do Free as a bird and Real Love.

poleglass red

It's okay, typically every top band has a song or two on an LP that isn't great but fills out the play list, this sounded like one of those. It's also one of those songs that will probably grow on you the more you hear it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lovely little gift this is. Obviously it isn’t their greatest songs otherwise it would have been released back in the day. But it’s a nice enough melody boosted by production and sentimental reasons.

Irwin99

It's lovely. Obviously it's nothing that's absolutely stunning or groundbreaking but it's a nice farewell. As others have said its carried by the production and a nice sense of nostalgia (and there's nothing wrong with that at all)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
In some places it's decent but some of the shots are a bit weird. Especially of all four of them playing and the awful green-screening.
Yeah, felt a bit amateurish, which is mad given it was made by Peter Jackson.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I really like it, it much better than I thought it would be, and I enjoy the music video too, even though it looks bit weird and amateurish. But its 2023 and its a new Beatles song, and the melody is nice enough for my liking.

Herman Toothrot

Love the song, but to my utter amazement, I think Peter Jackson has made the worst music video of all time. I'm reminded of the "I got my hand back" scene from Happy Gilmore.

decorativeed

Love the song, but to my utter amazement, I think Peter Jackson has made the worst music video of all time. I'm reminded of the "I got my hand back" scene from Happy Gilmore.
Did Jackson do that? I just watched it and it is amongst the worst professional videos I've ever seen. Absolutely awful stuff. Does the song a great disservice, and definitely isn't going to win over anyone who was on the fence about it.