The Biden Presidency

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm sure Mika Brezhinski will want to comment this morning on her questions at the beginning of her interview with Biden.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So Vlad used the me too movement to advance his latest attempt to manipulate US elections.

IIRC there were some on here who were adamant about Reade being credible. Who knew she was potentially a plant by the Russians?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
IIRC there were some on here who were adamant about Reade being credible. Who knew she was potentially a plant by the Russians?
Yeah, just shows how easily people get swept away by these herd behavior social media campaigns. The Me Too movement was certainly credible, but the ravenous feeding frenzy to cram every name that came up in the media into it wasn't without its perils. It seems the Russians saw this and managed to exploit it. Given how narrow Biden's victory was in the electoral college, it nearly worked.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
So looks like Biden has successfully avoided the catastrophic debt default the GOP-majority House has been gleefully threatening. He's got plenty of faults but he's good at politics and has navigated through many potential landmines.

hobbers

He's at the sort of age now any one of these trips could be a long time in hospital with broken bones.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
haha...Nazi? how do u figure?
Maybe not a Nazi, but his use of governmental powers to target opponents (removing DA, Disney, college school boards, etc.) should be frightening to anyone, no matter your political leanings. Add onto that the meddling in education, voter laws, blatantly changing laws that affect him personally (travel logs, prohibition on running for President while gov., etc), and a multitude of other things and you have a candidate who is a danger to the country.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
haha...Nazi? how do u figure?

I dunno, the banning of books and flags are a pretty good start.

@WI_Red summed it up quite nicely too.

To add to that, I'd be seriously worried how he would deal with global politics given his previous record and I think he would probably hurt relations with many of the US's foreign allies, possibly worse than Trump did who was just mainly ignored and placated. DeSantis could cause real trouble, especially given the fact he clearly has a short temper and doesn't like being cornered or answering things he doesn't want to admit to or discuss.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I think many did at the time, because they didn't want to rock the boat on the credibility of the Me Too movement, which was peaking in popularity at the time.
You may be right, but remember Eboue going above and beyond calling Biden a rapist and mocking anyone who expressed doubt abt not taking the victim seriously. I could be wrong.

langster

Scout
There is no way Biden can handle another 4 years. I doubt he can handle another 4 months to be honest. He's clearly unwell, he's constantly slurring or getting confused or just making silly mistakes, he's also falling over or losing his balance a lot. He has to be guided round most of the time.

It's certainly not what you would want from someone leading the most powerful country on earth. The stress of that job is insane in itself, especially if taken seriously like Biden does. Trump avoided most of his duties and just played golf or held rallies to promote himself.

Look at how it aged Obama after 8 years. It's clear Biden isn't up to it anymore, and the more falls he takes the more Republicans are going to push for the 25th amendment which they would love as then they would walk the next election.

Quick afterthought here. Trump forced to leave the race over legal issues from classified documents or his election fixing issues. Biden gets sick or removed, Harris steps up.... Ron wins 2024...

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
While I desperately wish the Dems had found ANY decent other candidate, I do think Biden's actual work is being heavily diminshed by pretty much everyone.

He's gotten bills passed, just got the new bi-annual debt ceiling fiasco done with minimal impact to the agenda and keeps trucking on.

nimic

something nice
Scout
He's so old. The US really needs to do something about the gerontocracy. Presidents, the Senate, the House, Supreme Court... they either start out old or stay on for way too long. I have no idea about state level politics, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's similar.

Jev

While I desperately wish the Dems had found ANY decent other candidate, I do think Biden's actual work is being heavily diminshed by pretty much everyone.

He's gotten bills passed, just got the new bi-annual debt ceiling fiasco done with minimal impact to the agenda and keeps trucking on.
He's handled himself brilliantly under difficult circumstances. He's been a great president in truth.

langster

Scout

No, I don't think that's true tbh. It's just people are thinking back to the chaos of Trump. Biden has done a lot of good, but he's also made some big mistakes and pissed off the letter leaning Dems. He's more right centre than he is left, that's for sure.

He's handled himself brilliantly under difficult circumstances. He's been a great president in truth.
I wouldn't go that far. He's done ok. He's done as expected to be fair. He's handled some things amazingly and others not so well. As I said before, he's centre right more than he is left and that's been evident throughout his Presidency. However, he's still by far the best candidate for 2024 and the issue is still there.... Is he fit enough for another 5 years?

I don't think he is. Sadly.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I was quite impressed by Biden and how he performed over here in Ireland a few weeks ago. But it’s all very concerning.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He had the benefit of Dem control of Congress for two of those years. In fairness to him, he seems to have worked fairly amicably with McCarthy since the new R Congress took over, which may have helped to avert the debt default.

Revan

Assumptionman
Biden has been a decent president, all things considered. In this polarization political climate, it is hard to do more.

He is also very old and Dems should have tried to convince him to step down for the next election.

langster

Scout
Biden has been a decent president, all things considered. In this polarization political climate, it is hard to do more.
Yet the right continue to further their agenda... Abortion, supreme court, no gun reform. Heck, Biden even opened up drilling on Alaska's North Slope for them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yet the right continue to further their agenda... Abortion, supreme court, no gun reform. Heck, Biden even opened up drilling on Alaska's North Slope for them.
These aren't a result of Biden's term though. The SCOTUS numbers and subsequent Abortion ruling was set into motion during Trump's term.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Not sure you understand how US government works if you're blaming any of the first three on Biden.

bosskeano

I dunno, the banning of books and flags are a pretty good start.
sorry but banning of books that talk about gender transformation in elementary and middle school...that doesn't belong and should be removed

ffs...they are kids, just let them be kids without trying to alter or warp their brains

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
So funny that when someone points out obvious failures of the left or obvious issues with right wingers, it's because they don't understand the system. Yeah, no way right wingers are proto-fascists and democrats are tootless pussies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
can't agree given gas prices, inflation rates and food costs
I’ll give you ‘partially’ for inflation, but the other two are ‘nominally’ at most.

The office of the presidency is often erroneously called to blame on issues the occupant has little control over, regardless their political stripe.

RedDevilQuebecois

He is also very old and Dems should have tried to convince him to step down for the next election.
The first thing that came across my mind when Biden was running for 2020 was exactly that he would eventually leave the stage for someone else in 2024. I guess that everything changed since Trump is still very much a factor anyhow in this political landscape, but the original plan was probably something else in other and more normal circumstances.

I don't think the US are ready for another FDR-style ending, especially when the current VP is definitely no Harry Truman to pick up the torch.

bosskeano

I’ll give you ‘partially’ for inflation, but the other two are ‘nominally’ at most.

The office of the presidency is often erroneously called to blame on issues the occupant has little control over, regardless their political stripe.
i get there could be inflation but not to the point where gas prices have doubled, housing loan rates are almost double and grocery prices have jumped significantly as well. I don't think normal inflation would have had such a traumatic effect on the economy as we've seen in the past 12-15 months